Nurse-in at "The View"? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-02-2005, 05:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I set my media center up to record the view that day. I hope they acknowledge that you all are there!

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2005, 08:55 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are planning on having one here on Mon. at 11am outside our local ABC affiliate. If you know of anyone in the Louisville, KY/Southern Indiana area, please have them contact me through my profile.

Thanks!
Old 06-02-2005, 09:36 PM

i, too, will be there in spirit.

you are all doing a fabulous thing in organizing this. way to go, mamas!!!!
Old 06-02-2005, 11:46 PM

I am there in spirit! Hopefully I will be nursing a little one by then!!!!

Cristina - "If you find it in your heart to care for somebody else, you will have succeeded." Maya Angelou
Old 06-03-2005, 01:04 AM

Hello!

I'm the mom who was called out for NIP in a Toronto park several weeks ago. Janice alerted me to the action coming up on Monday. A collection has been taken up and since I'm a native New Yorker (mama to two beautiful Canadians,) I'm off to represent Canadian mamas at the nurse-in as well as talk to the NY Times about my story. I've also been in touch with Gabrielle Redfern, the Miami politician who was called out for nursing her infant in session in April, so she can also talk to the Times.

I'm on a few feminist lists that I've also notified.

This is exciting, mamas! It's gonna be big!

Erika Ross
Old 06-03-2005, 01:08 AM

WOW that is soo cool.I totally got chills reading that. I soooo wish that I could go.Give extra squrts in the eye for me!!!!!!!

We may not have it all together, but together we have it all , Loving their daddy, my hubby, our soldier
Old 06-03-2005, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Give extra squrts in the eye for me!!!!!!!
:LOL
Old 06-03-2005, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisiblac
Hello!

I'm the mom who was called out for NIP in a Toronto park several weeks ago. Janice alerted me to the action coming up on Monday. A collection has been taken up and since I'm a native New Yorker (mama to two beautiful Canadians,) I'm off to represent Canadian mamas at the nurse-in as well as talk to the NY Times about my story. I've also been in touch with Gabrielle Redfern, the Miami politician who was called out for nursing her infant in session in April, so she can also talk to the Times.

Erika Ross

Represent
Old 06-03-2005, 09:12 AM

Lisiblac thank you for posting!

If you do a web search there are several articles about Redfern...thanks for the info about her.

http://www.iwf.org/inkwell/default.asp?archiveID=1252

Take the time to heal from your marriage before you move on with someone else. Make a list of all the qualities you would like in a new partner and then work on growing that way yourself. ~mandib50
Old 06-03-2005, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

Far out.

Old 06-03-2005, 01:45 PM

Woo-Hoo!!! This is going to be GREAT!!!!
Old 06-03-2005, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Hello!

Erika Ross

wonderful, way to go.

please come back and share your perspective on how it went.
Old 06-03-2005, 02:21 PM

have you sent out media advisories yet? if not i would definately do that, and in New York you should have no shortage.
Old 06-03-2005, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyhky
We are planning on having one here on Mon. at 11am outside our local ABC affiliate. If you know of anyone in the Louisville, KY/Southern Indiana area, please have them contact me through my profile.

Thanks!
Hmm that might be a good idea. Wonder if we could get one going here in Columbus also. We just did one at the statehouse a few weeks ago!
Old 06-03-2005, 02:40 PM

Hey mamas, I wish DD and I could be there with you. Its amazing how this thing has gathered strength. I bet I'll be having let down around the time y'all get together. :LOL

Motherhood is powerful - be fierce!
Old 06-03-2005, 05:27 PM

A short update before I pack up my kids, sleep, and ride the rails.

I've got flyers and posters from INFACT and Bravado. We're brainstorming about signs and music. Carolyn Maloney D-New York has been notified. The NY Times, Miami Herald and Canada's Globe and Mail are discussing the rally, my story from January in Toronto, the Starbucks incident, Carolyn's breastfeeding bill, and Gabrielle Redfern's predicament in Miami. I'll be interviewing live with an Ontario radio station from New York on Monday.

Good luck to all the mamas who are planning simultaneous events!

Must remember to sleep.

Cheers!

Erika
Old 06-03-2005, 05:34 PM

OMG! You mamas are SOOO awesome! I'll have to check to see if we're doing anything in Charlote for affiliates. I'll wait to see the news coverage. It's about damn time someone did something to stop those schmucks!!!
Old 06-03-2005, 07:57 PM

Hey everyone, greetings from NYC.
I don't post as much as I used to, but I still come around.

I wanted to let you all know that The View is not filmed at the studio at the address listed in the email.It's at the other ABC studio off of West End Ave.
I emailed the woman who's name appears in the email, but she has not replied.
Also, a nurse-in at the start time of the show is futile. Why not start it earlier so everyone will see them while going into the studio? Then they may talk about them.
KWIM?
Old 06-03-2005, 08:11 PM

It's happening at the ABC headquarters, not where the show is being taped. Just thought I'd reiterate! Trying it target the ABC people, not just the View cast.

Old 06-03-2005, 08:12 PM

I'm hoping one can be done in my area, I'm in Cleveland (but could probably get to Columbus if one happens there). Off to do some checking to see if one's being planned, or if folks wanna do one.....
Old 06-03-2005, 08:36 PM

Emma Jean,
Why target ABC?
It isn't a corporate issue or about ABC's policies.
It's about an opinion that a host had. If there is going to be a nurse-in, why not focuss it on the person or persons who made the offensive remark?
It makes no sense to me.
And I have been a part of the century 21 protest and the NYC library too.
I am all for activism.

For the record, the email says, "A Nurse-In is set to take place at 11 AM on Monday, 06 June 2005 outside of ABC's studios at 67th Street and Columbus Avenue in New York City, where taping of the daytime talk show The View takes place."
and
" to protest comments made by cast members of The View."

It plainly says the purpose which is misleading because it isn't at the studios at all, it's at the headquarters.
Old 06-03-2005, 08:38 PM

Ya'll rock, I'll be watching from Fla, Way to go!
Old 06-03-2005, 08:40 PM

Chiming in with my opinion and coming from a former PR perspective:

I also think it makes the most sense to do the nurse-in starting at 9-9:30 am outside the actual studio where the View is taped.

JMO.
Old 06-03-2005, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savvy
Also, a nurse-in at the start time of the show is futile. Why not start it earlier so everyone will see them while going into the studio? Then they may talk about them.
KWIM?
delta-i said the same thing!
Old 06-03-2005, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Hello!

Erika Ross
welcome to mdc erika

l, <>< wife to my sweetie, proud mama to 3 cubs, 2 who clw & 1 that i i ep for . baby was evicted early by induction due to severe pre-e/hellp syndrome
Old 06-03-2005, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaJean
It's happening at the ABC headquarters, not where the show is being taped. Just thought I'd reiterate! Trying it target the ABC people, not just the View cast.

This is EXACTLY right. Thank you for picking up on my lack of email access today.

*~* A * Mama to C and A * *~* I blog - PM me for the URL
Old 06-04-2005, 12:03 AM

hey, I"m not planning the thing, I'm just relaying info!
Old 06-04-2005, 12:54 AM

Way to go, everyone! You guys are amazing! Wouldn't it be awesome if a pro-BFing celebrity or two showed up?! I'll be watching The View, and the national news, on Monday to see if you guys are mentioned.
Old 06-04-2005, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennisee
Way to go, everyone! You guys are amazing! Wouldn't it be awesome if a pro-BFing celebrity or two showed up?! I'll be watching The View, and the national news, on Monday to see if you guys are mentioned.

Me & DH hug2.gif , adult DD lips.gif & 7 yo DS guitar.gif . 2 GSDs, 6 rescue kitties, 4 birds & a gerbil.
Old 06-04-2005, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savvy
Why target ABC?
It isn't a corporate issue or about ABC's policies.
It's about an opinion that a host had. If there is going to be a nurse-in, why not focuss it on the person or persons who made the offensive remark?
It makes no sense to me.
And I have been a part of the century 21 protest and the NYC library too.
I am all for activism.
ABC is the focus of this particular action because they produce The View and are ultimately responsible for it. They hired these women, they pay them and they continue to keep them on air. Yes, we are extremely dismayed with the women on The View, the adversarial position that they took against breastfeeding, especially nursing in public and their lack of understanding of this subject. We are, however, more upset with ABC for not correcting that ignorance and insisting on fair, balanced and accurate reporting. Since the women of The View refuse to reign themselves in and rise to a level of journalistic integrity that includes showing all sides to an issue, not just the ones they happen to personally agree with, we are hoping that ABC and its top executives will take notice and action so that true, correct and unbiased information is disseminated in forums such as The View. We do not want to take a chance that public media will sway opinion in such a way that breastfeeding and nursing in public is considered obscene and subject to being outlawed.

Here's the issue re: Location: The View tapes in a location that is kind of out of the way. ABC headquarters is on Columbus Ave.; it has a lot better exposure. Sure, we could have stood outside the doors of The View, but a lot less people would have seen us. We'll be way more visible on Columbus. And isn't that what we want, the most visibility?

Yes, the PR was sort of confusing. I relied on some information that was obviously not completely correct. I didn't grow up in the city and only know a little about it. At the point the PR went out, I didn't have anyone with firsthand knowledge of the area and the tv show to run it by. So, this is what we've got and so we need to just go with it. I added the clarification so hopefully, if people read it, they'll understand a bit better what we're aiming for.

The information in the press release had already been widely disseminated before I wrote that up. It was a done deal by the time I got involved. This is grassroots in action, so it's not always perfect. We're seriously doing the best we can. What we need right now are people pitching in and helping us make this thing work. Negative attitudes aren't going to get anything accomplished and we'll waste time rethinking things that have already been decided.

We have a duty as women to support other women in raising their children. BFing is one of the most natural aspects of that and by raising awareness of these issues, we can work on steering the societal consciousness back to the understanding that BFing is the NORM and should be considered the standard. It's only through education and taking the stigma away that we will begin to turn the tide and make sure that every mother has the support she needs for a fulfilling nursing relationship with her children. This is only a step in the process, and as imperfect as it may be, it's a step in the right direction.

*~* A * Mama to C and A * *~* I blog - PM me for the URL

User Tag List