Nurse-in at "The View"? - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 602 Old 06-05-2005, 03:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
AM: Those are great! I love all of them, you should do them all, even the "boob" one. LOL

In Tucson, AZ we are having a nurse in/ralley on Monday! My first nurse in. I am so excited. My poster says: "VIEW THIS...." with pictures of nursing moms and babies!

Good luck all you crazy women in NYC! I wish I could be there!

H

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

#122 of 602 Old 06-05-2005, 03:38 PM

Quote:
My poster says: "VIEW THIS...." with pictures of nursing moms and babies!
Oh!!! I love this one, too!!! Who knew how many puns would be available when we decided to protest "The View"

lets brainstorm this - these posters alone should get us some media coverage - (annettemarie - you do know that you might get on TV, just because of those posters???)

I did a breastfeeding poster contest a few years ago. The idea was, that the pictures of nursing women can "stand in" for actual bfing moms - to help expose people to the images, and help normalize things.

We should make a postcard campaign - with these slogans (view this!) so that all the moms who can't make a nurse-in, could participate.

Thoughts?

janice
(back to working on the media kit, it should be done later today).
#123 of 602 Old 06-05-2005, 03:40 PM

LOVE the Barbara one. It is NOT rude it is perfect IMHO.

Take the time to heal from your marriage before you move on with someone else. Make a list of all the qualities you would like in a new partner and then work on growing that way yourself. ~mandib50
#124 of 602 Old 06-05-2005, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janice in Canada

We should make a postcard campaign - with these slogans (view this!) so that all the moms who can't make a nurse-in, could participate.
:

The Barbara one! GENIUS!

Take the time to heal from your marriage before you move on with someone else. Make a list of all the qualities you would like in a new partner and then work on growing that way yourself. ~mandib50
#125 of 602 Old 06-05-2005, 03:46 PM

has anyone sent a press release to the Today show? i wonder if they would show up? i'll be with you in spirit from Columbus Ohio We did a nurse in a few weeks ago and it seems to have caught on
#126 of 602 Old 06-05-2005, 03:49 PM

Anyone want to clue me in on what should be in the media kit? I'm the main organizer here in Charlotte, and we're doing this at the drop of a hat. I started organizing yesterday when I found out about the nurse-in in NYC. We may not have many attendees (we're hoping for 15-20), but know that we're down here supporting you!!!
#127 of 602 Old 06-05-2005, 03:59 PM

don't duplicate the media kit - we are doing one and it will be posted on the Yahoo site in a few hours. sign up at:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nycnursein/

Its better to have all one kit. But you could research your own state bfing legislation, ours only has New York and Federal.

Use your energy to contact your media instead. Feel free to copy from the Official Press release, and the official logistics sheet.

RE: sending press releases to Today show, etc - just go ahead and do it. We don't have time right now. Even if it is a duplicate, then it shows that people are interested in it.

If someone wants to make postcards or buttons, please do ahead, maybe just let us see the slogan or picture before you print it.

Janice
#128 of 602 Old 06-05-2005, 05:22 PM

Anyone who is coming to the one in Tucson, I need HELP!! Please. My little dd is ill, and my house is a wreck, and my very fastidious g-pa will be here from MA in the am. So what I need is people to contact the media for me. My email is chandra@breastorbust.com I check it like every hour :LOL So if you can help drop me a line, and also if you are planning on coming lmk too. TIA!!! I am so excited!!!
#129 of 602 Old 06-05-2005, 05:35 PM

This is what i cut,pasteed and edited for flyer to hand out today when we go shopping tell me what you think of the pic!

MAD MOMMIES PLAN TO NURSE IN PLAIN VIEW
Lactating Women Staging A 'Nurse-In' As A Response To Comments Made on ABC's The View.
A Nurse-In is set to take place outside of News Channel 7 on Monday, 06 June 2005 from 9:30am to 11am. News channel 7 is an affiliate of ABC, where taping of the daytime talk show The View takes place. Lactating mothers and their supporters will be converging on News channel 7's studio to protest comments made by cast members of The View. The breastfeeding mothers are protesting the general anti-breastfeeding attitude of the co-hosts of The View and comments made concerning their opinions that breastfeeding and nursing in public is gross and disgusting in nature. The mothers are also upset about the celebratory nature of an announcement made concerning the first bottle of formula given to the infant daughter of Elisabeth Hasselbeck, the youngest and newest cast member who also gave birth recently.The lactivists will be promoting breastfeeding and emphasizing its positive benefits for both mother and child, including lower ratesof breast cancer, reduced incidences of childhood obesity and asthma, as well as stronger immune systems in breastfed infants and toddlers. The Nurse-In has been coordinated completely by volunteers.Please come out and support our nursing rights. This will be a peaceful demonstration. Bring blankets to sit on and great positive attitudes. Children of all ages are welcome. Any kind of posters supporting breastfeeding are welcome too. Let you voice be heard, that breastfeeding

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/s...mLhq5aN3uQ&m=1

We may not have it all together, but together we have it all , Loving their daddy, my hubby, our soldier
#130 of 602 Old 06-05-2005, 05:41 PM

Personally, that isn't the picture I would choose - that's what the mama sees, but no one else really ever does.

I would choose a picture of a mom nursing, I don't really care if it shows some skin or not, but its more of what other people should see more often.

IMO this one is not what we are advocating for - I prefer a shot that includes the women as a WHOLE person - similarly I don't like shots that exclude the mom's head. I don't like cutting moms up into little bits.

Janice
#131 of 602 Old 06-05-2005, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janice in Canada

RE: sending press releases to Today show, etc - just go ahead and do it. We don't have time right now. Even if it is a duplicate, then it shows that people are interested in it.

If someone wants to make postcards or buttons, please do ahead, maybe just let us see the slogan or picture before you print it.

Janice
cool. this will be my little way of contributing since i'm in Ohio. i'll go sign up for the yahoo group'
#132 of 602 Old 06-05-2005, 06:31 PM

i just got off the phone with a police officer in our area and he was totally supportive and was sooo pro-breastfeeding. His wife is an ob nurse and lactation consultant. He will be there tommorrow to make sure everything goes great!I am soo excited. We are off to hand out flyers!!!!!!!!!!

We may not have it all together, but together we have it all , Loving their daddy, my hubby, our soldier
#133 of 602 Old 06-05-2005, 08:35 PM

Hi again. I'm so completely bummed, but I can't make it. Unfortunately, my baby has decided that he doesn't like sleeping in NYC. Since I'm here on my own, this trip has been kinda tough. I'm heading out early tomorrow morning. I'm so sad I can't be there. I'll be emailing the view's hosts to let them know I'm there in spirit!

Good luck!!!
#134 of 602 Old 06-05-2005, 08:57 PM

OK, we're doing one in Cleveland too!

don't know how many of us there'll be, since we're pulling it together last minute & we mostly copied the nyc press release. If you know anyone in the area please let them know.

Quote:
Lactating Women Staging A “Nurse-In” As A Response To Comments Made on ABC’s The View.

A Nurse-In is set to take place at 11 AM on Monday, 06 June 2005 outside of ABC’s studios in New York City, producers of the daytime talk show The View and some local mothers have decided to do one outside of our local ABC affiliate in Cleveland, Ohio. We are planning for the same time, 11 AM at channel 5, 3001 Euclid Avenue.

Lactating mothers and their supporters from many areas will be converging on their local ABC stations to protest comments made by cast members of The View. The breastfeeding mothers are protesting the general anti-breastfeeding attitude of the co-hosts of The View and comments made concerning their opinions that breastfeeding and nursing in public is “gross and disgusting” in nature. The mothers are also upset about the celebratory nature of an announcement made concerning the first bottle of formula given to the infant daughter of Elisabeth Hasselbeck, the youngest and newest cast member who also gave birth recently.

The lactivists will be promoting breastfeeding and emphasizing its positive benefits for both mother and child, including lower rates of breast cancer, reduced incidences of childhood obesity and asthma, as well as stronger immune systems in breastfed infants and toddlers.

The World Health Organization recommends formula only as a fourth option for feeding infants, behind breast milk, expressed breast milk and donor breast milk (from humans, not animals). Even formula companies include disclaimers in their advertising that breast milk is the best source of nutrition for infants. As well, the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that “pediatricians and parents should be aware that exclusive breastfeeding is sufficient to support optimal growth and development for approximately the first 6 months of life and provides continuing protection against diarrhea and respiratory tract infection. 30,34,128,178–184 Breastfeeding should be continued for at least the first year of life and beyond for as long as mutually desired by mother and child.185

All the Nurse Ins have been coordinated completely by volunteers.
#135 of 602 Old 06-05-2005, 11:12 PM

i love the signs!!!

especially the cute baby and "lunch" pic

l, <>< wife to my sweetie, proud mama to 3 cubs, 2 who clw & 1 that i i ep for . baby was evicted early by induction due to severe pre-e/hellp syndrome
#136 of 602 Old 06-06-2005, 12:17 AM

Is there any Nurse-in around Prescott AZ,I need info ASAP for a friend who wants to go!
Thanks
Amanda

#137 of 602 Old 06-06-2005, 12:20 AM

I know there's one planned for Tucson, don't know if that's close enough for your friend?
Quote:
What?: Nurse-In to protest negative comments on "The View".

When?: Monday June 6, 2005
9:45AM-11AM

Where?: KGUN 9 studios
7280 East Rosewood Street
Tucson, AZ 85710

View map here: http://www.infospace.com/mapredir.ht...QS=AZ&QZ=85710
#138 of 602 Old 06-06-2005, 12:31 AM

Thanks, buit i think thats too far away. I feel bad for her,cuz her and her family have only been there for a week,so she hasn't found time to meet and AP friends. She is the one who opened my eyes to AP and EBF and other cruncy things =( I wish she where here.

#139 of 602 Old 06-06-2005, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie
I made a couple signs for the nurse in/ralley
OK, I probably won't use the boob one, but it made me feel better!
http://www.xanga.com/home.aspx?user=annettemarie

omg - those are GREAT!!!!!!
#140 of 602 Old 06-06-2005, 01:42 AM

I am making a sign that says.....

TurnipHead is Breastfed
At least someone at ABC got it right! :LOL

Ok so I may have deep issues, but i think it is hilarious.
#141 of 602 Old 06-06-2005, 02:07 AM

update at 11:00 p.m. my time (western canada, I don't know my zone)
2:00 a.m. New York Time

I just talked to Ashley. She is finalizing the media kit, and it should be on the Yahoo site shortly.

I see that she has posted a "name tag" in the files area of the Yahoo site. Affiliate nurse-ins should feel free to use it - I'm not sure how you'd change the location - maybe just use your pens! or leave as is.

Everyone, please have people sign-in with their names and email addresses, we'd like to stay in touch with everyone afterwards (okay, its the salesperson in me - I *always* ask for names, and keep them for follow-up afterwards).

Similarly, make sure to get complete contact info for all media that come. You may want to follow-up with them, especially if you don't have a media kit ready by Monday morning.

I want to wish you all very good luck. I'll sure be thinking about you,
because I anticipate being in a kind of "black-out" here, as you all attend,
and until someone gets back to their computer. Something like an Apollo
mission while it travels across the dark side of the moon.

This has been an amazing ride - I feel like I've been through my own "The
Apprentice" task (I love that show - everything I know about NYC, I learned from "Law & Order" and "The Apprentice"). Maybe now I'll have someone to visit, when we ever travel there!

Love and best wishes,
Janice
#142 of 602 Old 06-06-2005, 03:04 AM

Ladies I will be there in spirit!!! Oh how I wish I could be there. Please, someone take pictures/video & post for us all to see.
Good Luck ladies & have fun too!

Cristina - "If you find it in your heart to care for somebody else, you will have succeeded." Maya Angelou
#143 of 602 Old 06-06-2005, 03:28 AM

Good luck in NYC,Tucson and everywhere else. Tommorrow is a big day,we are having our at 9:30-11am,so as soon as ours is done i will report back here!Oh yeah we are in Redding,CA, i am so excited i have had a headach all day!!!!Well i am off to lay in bed and stare at the wall, to pumped to sleep.

GOOD LUCK MAMAS!!!!!!!!!!!!
Redding,CA signing off (LOL!!!)

#144 of 602 Old 06-06-2005, 04:27 AM

Tucson AZ signing off too :LOL I understand the too pumped to sleep! Good Luck mamas.

I'm all teary eyed just thinking about all of the effort, and dedication that has gone into this event in such a short period of time! You mamas are AMAZING! : : :LOL
#145 of 602 Old 06-06-2005, 08:17 AM

waiting with great anticipation to see the culmination of so much hard work-maybe it'll be the beginning of some positive press for bf and nip.
#146 of 602 Old 06-06-2005, 08:23 AM

Sending love, peace and empowerment to all of you!

#147 of 602 Old 06-06-2005, 09:27 AM

I'm thinking of all you incredible ladies this morning. Good Luck!
#148 of 602 Old 06-06-2005, 10:33 AM

Man oh man..I hope someone's bringing a camera....
I heard chanting on the street during GMA...wonder if that's our ladies (and guys)
Jenn

Jenn - Mom, Photographer, Barista 

#149 of 602 Old 06-06-2005, 10:34 AM

Just want to say best of luck and have a wonderful time! I am supporting you all from Central OH.
#150 of 602 Old 06-06-2005, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willowsmom
Man oh man..I hope someone's bringing a camera....
I heard chanting on the street during GMA...wonder if that's our ladies (and guys)
Jenn
Me too, I posted about it at Television...I was wondering if it was the Nurse In folks or something else.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page