Barbara Walters "offended" by BIFP - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-26-2005, 01:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Belle... Another Heather and Mike! I love it! LOL

I agree. The more we do it the more "normal" it becomes. It seems so funny (at times) that something that is normal, natural has become so taboo.
It is also humorous (in a twisted way) that we BF mom's are sometimes shamed into a bathroom or covering up, when if you watch some people eat... sheeesh! To the bathroom with you! LOL :LOL Mouth open, talking, jsut nasty. YET even if someone thought it was gross would never tell a , let's say, grown man to eat in a bathroom because he was nasty.
And I have seen more breast from some of the clothes that are out and about than I ever do while nursing... :

H

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2005, 02:41 PM

Aside from all the other wonderful points already made on this thread, am I the only one who finds BOTTLES, not BREASTS, to be indecent and embarrassing? I mean, a woman's own breast and nipple is one thing, but a bottle is a HUGE, OVERSIZED, plastic bastardization of the real thing! It's enormous, and the plastic/rubber/whatever bottle nipples are FAR larger than my own (everyone's different, of course) and people have absolutely no shame in waving them around, shoving them in people's faces, etc. I mean, I would never suggest that they be hidden or that mothers be ashamed of using them, per se, but I absolutely fail to see the logic of shaming mothers for NIP and suggesting they instead utilize a grotesque, exaggerated, Disney-character-festooned, imitation BOOBIE to feed their child in public! Absolutely baffles me. To use the analogy anti-NIPs are so fond of: it's like saying having sex with another human is indecent in public, but it's fine if you bring a DILDO and get your freak on with a hunk of rubber! :
Old 05-26-2005, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Dimples
To use the analogy anti-NIPs are so fond of: it's like saying having sex with another human is indecent in public, but it's fine if you bring a DILDO and get your freak on with a hunk of rubber! :
:

There is a crack in everything...that's how the light gets in.
~Leonard Cohen~
Old 05-26-2005, 04:19 PM

Hey, folks. Monday, June 6th, 11 a.m., nurse-in on the corner of Columbus Avenue and 67th Street, ABC Studios where "The View" is filmed ... be there or be square.

Pass it on.

Old 05-26-2005, 05:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Can we share this other places?
It's a three hour trip from here, so I need to think about if I want to start out the day before. Anyone want to put up me and Nicholas? :LOL

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Old 05-26-2005, 06:10 PM

I got this info from another MDC mama:
Quote:
The View's only vacation this summer is the first three weeks in August. Also, they are located on 66th St between West End and the river. There is a parking garage on 66th St between Central Park West and Columbus that is $12 for the day if you are in by 10a and out by 6p (I got that price from my colleague, who parks there daily). There is a less expensive lot on West End Ave between 66th and 67th that is $10 for the day if you are in before 10a and out before 6p (but, it might fill up earlier).

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Old 05-26-2005, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie
Can we share this other places?
What do you mean? I've been doing searches for AP and NYC and emailing whatever names I could find, so strangers all over NY will hopefully get this and pass it along ... but that hasn't been too many names, so PLEASE spread it around ...

Also, In re where the location is, the employee entrance is on 66th, the audience entrance/public entrance is on Columbus Avenue, and the stage door is on 67th. So I think we'd have to figure out which address to use.

The most visible place is on Columbus Avenue, where the main public entrance to ABC is. Though that might cause a bit of a ruckus ...
Old 05-26-2005, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMoe
It would be polite to keep in mind that not everyone is open minded, and some may be offended by seeing an exposed breast. It wouldnt' have harmed the woman to use a light blanket to cover her bare exposed breast, and would have been thoughtful and considerate to those around her.

ok...now that I have to use the bathroom. Thanks for the laugh though.

Mom to 10yo Autistic Wonder Boy and 6yo Inquisitive Fireball Girl . December birthdays.

Old 05-26-2005, 10:39 PM

ok, using MrsMoe's logic...

- i am going to have to un-dread my hair, because dreadlocks offend some people.
- i will also be bleaching and toning my hair blonde, because brown hair might offend some neo-nazi's.
- i will henceforth shave my pits every day, so as to not offend those people who are uptight about seeing me wearing my tank tops w/ hairy pits.
- on the other hand, me shaving might offend some feminists, so i will be sure *never* to shave *anything* again.
- no, no, thinking about it now, i will definitely shave one armpit, and leave the other one hairy, so i can please everyone all the time. screw my own comfort.
- i will stop wearing jeans, because we all know that some people are offended if women don't wear skirts.
- i will start wearing makeup immediately, so i won't offend people with my bare skin.
- i will also have to quit my job, because i *know* that there are men around here who don't like seeing a woman doing a "man's job."
- i will stop wearing my pentacle ring, because other people might feel i am imposing my religion on them.
- on second thought, i will just stop being wiccan. being part of an organized religion is just so much easier, and then ~ as long as i keep my mouth shut ~ i will be sure to not offend anyone!
- i will stop being politically active, because i would hate to think i am imposing my political beliefs on anyone.
- and i will DEFINITELY stop nursing in public.
- on second thought, i will stop nursing entirely, because someone might be offended if they see me buying nursing pads at the store.

... or i could just be me.

and by NIP i will help normalize the act so other mamas never have to feel ashamed.

eta ~ remember: nobody has the right to *not* be offended. :nana:
Old 05-26-2005, 10:57 PM

"it's like saying having sex with another human is indecent in public, but it's fine if you bring a DILDO and get your freak on with a hunk of rubber! "

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

:
Old 05-26-2005, 11:13 PM

I shared on Sybermoms, MamaDrama, and CoB- has anyone posted at Amity or breastfeeding.com?

Old 05-27-2005, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie
I shared on Sybermoms, MamaDrama, and CoB- has anyone posted at Amity or breastfeeding.com?

I put something on the event calendar at the HipMama 'zine. Such as it is. Put in a 'blog,' too, but not sure if it'll get anywhere ... do they post those necessarily, or do they die in the ether?

Also contacted local API person, who made me nervous about all sorts of things ... permits and the like ... but hey, this is grass roots, right?

Permits? We don't need no stinkin' permits.

I hope.

:LOL

Old 05-27-2005, 12:56 AM

I had fun explaining to my six-year-old what a protest was!

Old 05-27-2005, 12:58 AM

I wish I could be there! I am so jealous! Nurse on sisters!

H

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

Old 05-27-2005, 01:29 AM

Oooo!! Are the shows taped or live? I am going to mark my calander to watch that day. Bummer I wont have anyone to nurse, yet!

The first rule of homeschooling: water the plants! :
Old 05-27-2005, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klothos
- i will henceforth shave my pits every day, so as to not offend those people who are uptight about seeing me wearing my tank tops w/ hairy pits.
- on the other hand, me shaving might offend some feminists, so i will be sure *never* to shave *anything* again.
- no, no, thinking about it now, i will definitely shave one armpit, and leave the other one hairy, so i can please everyone all the time. screw my own comfort.
Ummmmmm . . . actually klothos, tank tops offend me. Could you please keep your pits to yourself either way? It only takes covering up with a light t-shirt . . .
Old 05-27-2005, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipumpkins
Oooo!! Are the shows taped or live? I am going to mark my calander to watch that day. Bummer I wont have anyone to nurse, yet!
Take a doll, and "nurse" it
Old 05-27-2005, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerthElde
Ummmmmm . . . actually klothos, tank tops offend me. Could you please keep your pits to yourself either way? It only takes covering up with a light t-shirt . . .
: NO i WON'T cover up. :nana:

Old 05-27-2005, 04:54 AM

i tried that cover up business with my first which only attracted more attention because i was so ackward at NIP and not to mention trying to coordinate a stupid blanket - and a light one at that too - so i was not discreet at all. it was very obvious i was trying to nurse my baby .and then of course, baby hated it and kept trying to rip the blanket off. which i might add only exposed more of my breast - gasp!

is breastfeeding in public immoral, dangerous or unhealthy? nope, so if some are offended, too bad, that's their problem. i don't care. i'm doing something that's not only healthy for my baby, but healthy for me and ultimately helps to contibute towards creating a healthier society. the more i NIP the more it helps others see it as natural, normal and beautiful. it is also polite, considerate and thoughtful to babies to nurse them whenever and wherever they need to be nursed!

can we worry less about breastfeeding babies healthfully and optimally and how much flesh is exposed in the process and worry more about truly offensive things like jeez, i don't know, child poverty, child hunger, homeslessness, violence towards women and children, sexual abuse, and pollution for example!

mandi

Midwifery student , Mama to my 4 amazing kids. treehugger.gif

Old 05-27-2005, 08:40 AM

I made up a little chant for y'all:

Hey Hey
Ho Ho
Lactophobia's got to go
Hey Hey
Ho Ho
Lactophobia's got to go
Hey Hey....

Take the time to heal from your marriage before you move on with someone else. Make a list of all the qualities you would like in a new partner and then work on growing that way yourself. ~mandib50
Old 05-27-2005, 04:48 PM

"However, it makes my husband uncomfortable for me to nurse in public, so he asked me to use a blanket and I did. Our son is not used to and does not like being under a blanket so it is quite an ordeal to keep the blanket over him, and in my opinion, it draws more attention to us with a blanket flying all over the place than if I quietly nurse him. Eventually, my husband realized this and stoped throwing a blanket over us."

m7y husband is the same. i've explained that my daughter bites when covered and he is still uncomfortable so i told him give me money for nursing shirts to be more "discreet" this made him quit complaining. : )
Old 05-27-2005, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Aside from all the other wonderful points already made on this thread, am I the only one who finds BOTTLES, not BREASTS, to be indecent and embarrassing? I mean, a woman's own breast and nipple is one thing, but a bottle is a HUGE, OVERSIZED, plastic bastardization of the real thing! It's enormous, and the plastic/rubber/whatever bottle nipples are FAR larger than my own (everyone's different, of course) and people have absolutely no shame in waving them around, shoving them in people's faces, etc. I mean, I would never suggest that they be hidden or that mothers be ashamed of using them, per se, but I absolutely fail to see the logic of shaming mothers for NIP and suggesting they instead utilize a grotesque, exaggerated, Disney-character-festooned, imitation BOOBIE to feed their child in public! Absolutely baffles me. To use the analogy anti-NIPs are so fond of: it's like saying having sex with another human is indecent in public, but it's fine if you bring a DILDO and get your freak on with a hunk of rubber! :

YES!! I have thought this myself SO many times over the years!! :LOL
Old 05-27-2005, 05:20 PM

Quote:
I am sick as a dog with a breast infection and your post gave me a huge laugh! : : : : :

YOu think I could memorize this and say this to the next person who "looks" at me when I nip??

Mama to 5 boys, 1 girl, and 2 dogs!
I'm getting sick of this world, I may need to live on a commune some where! I miss nursing!!!
Old 05-27-2005, 05:44 PM

HI Munkeesmama!

My dh did that with #1, but I think we were both about shy at that time. Now with #4... I don't care at all. :LOL If ya lookin' then ya see what ya see! :LOL

H

Old 05-27-2005, 05:45 PM

Quote:
To use the analogy anti-NIPs are so fond of: it's like saying having sex with another human is indecent in public, but it's fine if you bring a DILDO and get your freak on with a hunk of rubber!
: I read this yesterday and haven't stopped laughing. I am so going to use this line!
Old 05-27-2005, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merpk
Also contacted local API person, who made me nervous about all sorts of things ... permits and the like ... but hey, this is grass roots, right?
What is API?

... I went to post about the nurse-in at ProMom.org, but it made me wonder: who's organizing this? is there a contact person?

and where can I find more info on exactly what sparked the nurse-in?
I've never seen the show. Was it one particular episode, or is their lactophobic blather an ongoing thing?

DIYer mama to DD 11/00 and DS 6/05- both intact, naturally!
...missing Mothering Magazine...

Old 05-27-2005, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramlah
or is their lactophobic blather an ongoing thing?
I'm so psyched that my new word is catching on!

API= Attachment Parenting International?

Take the time to heal from your marriage before you move on with someone else. Make a list of all the qualities you would like in a new partner and then work on growing that way yourself. ~mandib50
Old 05-27-2005, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momtwice
I'm so psyched that my new word is catching on!

I gotta say, I it!!!!

Nothing like naming something to pin it down (and rub it out!)

That was very satisfying to use.

DIYer mama to DD 11/00 and DS 6/05- both intact, naturally!
...missing Mothering Magazine...

Old 05-27-2005, 10:32 PM

I am rather smitten with the new word "lactophobia". It's incredibly accurate, as well, since we can see by the behaviour of the perpetrators that it isn't the "boob", or the "noise", or the "exposure", or anything else that offends them so. It is the actual biological fact of lactating and nursing a child. The arguments just don't hold water, KWIM?

And I'm so glad my post made you all laugh. Makes me laugh, too, and kind of scratch my head too.

ETA: Oh yeah, and the whole point of my post was to say that yes, this is an ongoing, continual onslaught of misinformation, scare tactic, ignorance, and general anti-feminism. Contrary to what what I believe the "reputation" of the show is intended to be....
Old 05-27-2005, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMoe
the world is made of all sorts of people. Some of which may (or may not) be offended by our actions. I personally would rather not shove my beliefs on other people and take a more polite approach,
I am personally offended when someone chooses to light up a cigarette while in close proximity to me and my children. Or when someone chooses to curse loudly in front of my kids. They do not do the polite thing and walk away , it is up to me to walk away from them.

Should work the same for those offended by BFIP. JMO.

User Tag List