Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hows about "The View from Barbara's Ass"
#152 of 172 Old 06-10-2005, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bear's Mama
I think material on "The View" could be under the heading "Ignorance in the media". If you wanted to do a sub heading for all of "The View" topics,that might work.
Good idea. Star & Wawa are very ignorant.
#153 of 172 Old 06-10-2005, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorian
:LOL
#154 of 172 Old 06-10-2005, 09:55 PM

ok... on a serious note- I need to think through actually using this pic, since it has two of my kids faces up close and personal... but wouldn't this really push comfort zones?
#155 of 172 Old 06-10-2005, 09:55 PM

lemme look through my pics and see what I have of older kids.
#156 of 172 Old 06-10-2005, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Hee, hee, hee :LOL

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#157 of 172 Old 06-10-2005, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow
ok... on a serious note- I need to think through actually using this pic, since it has two of my kids faces up close and personal... but wouldn't this really push comfort zones?

http://pic18.picturetrail.com/VOL891.../100074673.jpg
Are we wanting to "traumatize" them, lol. Really, I think we should start with getting them to accept NIP with children under 12 months, then slowly introduce older & older children until they wonder why they ever thought it was a problem. Kind of like hte boiling a frog analogy. But if I am out voted we can push. I just think we should push a little at a time so they can accept it.
#158 of 172 Old 06-10-2005, 10:21 PM

Although the picture is GORGEOUS,I tend to agree with Jen. Since this site is a place we want to refer media and the uninformed to,we need to try to meet them halfway. Although *we* know that,for example, breastfeeding a 5yo or tandem nursing a 3.5yo and a 6mo is NORMAL,they may not,KWIM? I also think it's a good idea to get those images out there. Right now,though,we're wanting to reach the goal of making NIP okay,right? One step at a time. We'll get there. I promise!
#159 of 172 Old 06-10-2005, 10:40 PM

I adore that picture and think it's exactly what is needed. Why try to adjust them and then push? Then it's always going to be taking it too far, pushing it too long. Just my thoughts.
#160 of 172 Old 06-10-2005, 10:47 PM
Banned

Quote:

Bwhahahahaha :LOL :LOL
#161 of 172 Old 06-10-2005, 10:53 PM

:LOL I'm not even sure where my comfort level is. Most my family and friends know how i feel about BFing... but very few (or noe perhaps) have actually SEEN me tandem nursing my infant and older child or nursing my older children. Not by plan, but as my kids get older they don't nurse much when they are distracted. The sad thing (as far as discomfort with such a picture) is that the oldest baby is only 24 months in that pic- the youngest 3 months. It is sad that 2 is "so old" you know?

I don't know where I stand on this whole shock them into it or ease them into it bit... just threw the pic out there.

Unfortunately my spouse is camera deficient so I have to take all pics myself. Doesn't make for the best photography...
#162 of 172 Old 06-10-2005, 11:14 PM

It's a fantastic picture. Just beautiful. There is nothing wrong with it at all,and your 2yo doesn't look old to me AT ALL.
I was simply putting my opinion on the matter out there. Take it if ya like it,if you don't,flush it down the toilet.:LOL My thinking is simply that we *want* media contacts to look at the website. Say someone is doing a report on NIP. They heard about it on our website,and would like to add it to theirs as a link to go along with the story. Having pictures more along the lines of what most people expect to see "in public" might be a big help in getting media to use the link. Just my 2 cents.
#163 of 172 Old 06-10-2005, 11:21 PM

I hear exactly what you're saying
#164 of 172 Old 06-11-2005, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow
Unfortunately my spouse is camera deficient so I have to take all pics myself. Doesn't make for the best photography...
i LOVE that photo. my dh thought it was very cute, too.

ihave a photo of my 3 yr old dd and few month old ds nursing and holding hands, but it's not very clear.
#165 of 172 Old 06-11-2005, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diaper_Addict_Jen
Are we wanting to "traumatize" them, lol. Really, I think we should start with getting them to accept NIP with children under 12 months, then slowly introduce older & older children until they wonder why they ever thought it was a problem. Kind of like hte boiling a frog analogy. But if I am out voted we can push. I just think we should push a little at a time so they can accept it.
I really don't see why anyone should be concerned with others comfort level when it comes to NIP. I'm actually a little upset that people would consider the tandem nursing pic inappropriate. Has anyone seen that photo of a very pregnant mother nursing her 3 year old that won a prize? I think it was in Australia or New Zealand. I can't find it though.
#166 of 172 Old 06-11-2005, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bear's Mama
It's a fantastic picture. Just beautiful. There is nothing wrong with it at all,and your 2yo doesn't look old to me AT ALL.
I was simply putting my opinion on the matter out there. Take it if ya like it,if you don't,flush it down the toilet.:LOL My thinking is simply that we *want* media contacts to look at the website. Say someone is doing a report on NIP. They heard about it on our website,and would like to add it to theirs as a link to go along with the story. Having pictures more along the lines of what most people expect to see "in public" might be a big help in getting media to use the link. Just my 2 cents.
The tandem and toddler nursing pics were definitely what people would have seen me doing in public. And I've never even gotten stink eye over it, what to speak of a negative comment. Let's see, I've tandem nursed a 2 yr old and a 3 yr old at Southcenter Mall and the Family Fun Center in Seattle. And I've tandem nursed a 1 yr old and 2 yr old at the Prince Kuhio Mall and in the Plenty Fun Ball Pit as well as in front of the movie theater, on a bench.
#167 of 172 Old 06-11-2005, 12:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavamamakava
I really don't see why anyone should be concerned with others comfort level when it comes to NIP. I'm actually a little upset that people would consider the tandem nursing pic inappropriate. Has anyone seen that photo of a very pregnant mother nursing her 3 year old that won a prize? I think it was in Australia or New Zealand. I can't find it though.

I never said I considered it in appropriate. I nursed a toddler too. The point of the web site is to help NIP be accepted & not scorned. If we push the envelope too far the site will not be used for it's intended purpose, to educate & bring about tolerance.

Nothing ever comes all at once. Baby steps. Women gained their full right a bit at a time. People are stubborn & don't like change. Trying to give a newborn a steak won't work, start with what they can digest. If someone is "uncomfortable" with a newborn NIP, think how much more so with an older child. I would rather they stuck around & learned something that "shocking" them.
#168 of 172 Old 06-11-2005, 12:56 AM

Let me know what I can do to help too. My DH is a writer and I am an RN and CLE, anything we can do would be fun. I'll try to check this thread again but I'm afraid I'll forget and it will get burried. If there is a list you are compiling put my name on it. My email is bestfed @ comcast.net

I'll try to think of ideas and stuff, but please LMK if you think of anything.
#169 of 172 Old 06-11-2005, 01:06 AM

I can get better pix maybe this Sunday when we have a NYC-MDC picnic in Central Park. Maybe ds will nurse then and someone can take a better picture of him.
#170 of 172 Old 06-11-2005, 01:07 AM - Thread Starter

Take a look at the site gals. Right now it is just the skeleton. I need help filling in the meat of the site.

I need:
more thoughts & stories
male opinions
an article on breastfeeding around the world
article about harassment
links to BF harassment
press releases
article on the impact of formula
more for ignorance in the media
a nice summary of "The View" hullabaloo & subsequent nurse in.

Plus anything else you can think of.
#171 of 172 Old 06-11-2005, 03:35 AM

Quote:
here is a great blog by a guy/father that I found.

http://www.richardsilverstein.com/ti...tfeeding-moms/
Thanks for that plug.

And in case you want to raise your ire meter another few notches after the Walters fiasco, we've got another TV dolt out here in Seattle who's endorsed Walters' position in even more insulting trogdolyte fashion:
http://www.richardsilverstein.com/ti...ing-in-public/
#172 of 172 Old 06-11-2005, 01:39 PM

Richard, Glad you're here. I really enjoy your blog! Glad you're on our side!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page