Please help me think up an alternative & write a letter~ updated w/ letter - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 06-22-2005, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have an unplanned pregnancy center in our area, and every year they go around everywhere in the community to hand out things for their big fundraiser.
Guess what they hand out? Bottles, of course! Very fancy looking decorated colorful bottles that say things like "God's Gift" : on them.
The idea is to take them, fill them with money, and return them. I see them everywhere- at church, at people's houses, etc.
It is funny -and maddening- because they hold them up in the front of church to talk about them, and read all these Bible verses about babies and nurturing, and have to stop the verses short so they don't mention "nursing."
I don't like it for all the obvious reasons. It normalizes the worst way to feed a baby, my DC see all these 'beautified' fake rubber nipples, and the last thing these new moms need is to get a gift that undermines BFing like that. It just assumes that you *need* bottles, yk?
(I had an unplanned pregnancy in college, and still didn't need bottles for DS at all.)

Anyway, what would you do to change things? I want to write a letter and suggest an alternative. What else could they hand out that is cheap, conveinant in size and something a baby actually needs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 17 Old 06-22-2005, 07:55 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Well, it's not a need, but why can't they use cute little piggy banks or something! Or, boxes of breast pads, breast pumps, etc. In reality though, sippy cups would also work...or small diaper bags but that might be too costly.

Unfortunately,in our culture no one gives a second thought to associating a bottle with all babies.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#3 of 17 Old 06-22-2005, 08:16 PM

The thought of having a cute money bank for a baby is a great idea there are just so many other images that could be used.

A PP said a cute piggy, or a teddy bear, rattle, a wrapped gift box, cute pinned diaper...etc.

Sarah - wife, mom to Riley 7/9/03 and Jacob 7/15/05 and Hannah 1/5/11 a successful vbac.gif
#4 of 17 Old 06-22-2005, 08:41 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
how about a plain cpf pinned shut, but really held together with hot glue so $ wont fall out? tack on a few velcro dots to make the top stay shut.

or a drawstring bag made out of receiving blankets?

Bring back the old MDC
#5 of 17 Old 06-22-2005, 10:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ours does the same thing! They take it a step further and call it "formula for success". I really look forward to hearing your ideas, especially if you compse a letter.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#6 of 17 Old 06-22-2005, 10:42 PM

They could use sippy cups. Those disposable ones come in huge bulk packages and can be really cheap. I think I've gotten 12 for $3 or something like that. So they won't be able to use the sippy cup until the kid is closer to 1, but it's still useful.

Could you explain how bottles and formula cost money and you are then setting up these people for a continuing and unnecessary expense when breastmilk is free?
#7 of 17 Old 06-22-2005, 10:48 PM

Heck, they could even use a baby food jar!

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#8 of 17 Old 06-22-2005, 10:50 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Hmm...baby bottles ARE inexpensive, and well suited to holding money- easy to open and close, the money won't fall out, etc.

Maybe empty wipes boxes? Or maybe use bottles but with a solid lid (instead of a feeding lid) and hand them out with manual breastpumps to expectant moms? {Or would it be awkward to hand out breastpumps in church? There are ways to downplay the importance of bottles without saying "breast."}

Sippy cups are another idea, or feeding bowls with lids?

A newborn hat (secured with a drawstring to hold money) or baby socks or some other kind of baby clothing to fill with money?

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#9 of 17 Old 06-23-2005, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, I haven't perfected it yet... tell me what you think.

I know it's really Christian, but that's what they are...

The Care Center
1017 West Main
Centralia, WA 98531
360-330-2229

Dear Care Center Staff,

First off, I would like to commend you on all the work you do to help moms and babies. You are doing a wonderful thing in our community by just being available to those in need. Thank you.

I am writing to ask you to prayerfully consider your choices concerning your recent fund raiser. I was deeply offended in my church on Mother’s Day Sunday when a woman stood in front of our pulpit holding one of your bottles. She quoted Bible verses about nurturing babies, and in some cases had to stop short in order to avoid the parts about nursing. God designed nursing as his plan from the very beginning, and it is God’s gift to mothers and babies. I think to hold a bottle with “God’s Gift” printed on it in a church is plain old-fashioned blasphemy.

Whether we are Christians or not, things work better when we follow God’s way. By needlessly promoting rubber nipples and modified cow’s milk instead of mother’s breasts as God design, it opens babies and moms up to legions of health problems that God never intended. There are numerous studies on this, and every single one shows that artificially fed babies have everything from lower IQs to higher SIDS rates to more health problems later in life, such as poor eyesight, obesity, diabetes, even cancers in both mom and her adult child! Even the rubber nipples themselves are proven to cause poor facial and oral development (increased need for braces and speech therapy, etc).

Bottle-fed babies are also so much more expensive than breastfed babies. Why would you want to set your mothers up for the added expense of formula and bottles? Formula itself is a considerable expense. Often babies cannot tolerate the average type and have to be put on an even more expensive brand. Even past that, science has proven over and over that bottle-fed babies are sick much more often than breastfed babies, which costs money at the doctor and pharmacy. Breastmilk baby stools don’t even stain clothes, unlike formula fed babies unnatural stools, another time and money saver for new moms.

It is one thing to need bottles, because of an adoption or other unusual circumstances. But I believe strongly it is a sin against God to promote them like your last fund raiser did, when God has clearly shown us through His Word and through His design what He intended. There are wonderful organizations out there like La Leche League who will, for free, help mothers to nurse successfully. It is estimated that over 99% of mothers can nurse their babies completely, if they are simply shown how and not given out-dated advice. (As usual, God’s plan works if man stays out of it!) Even if a mom must leave her baby and go to work, she can pump and give her baby breastmilk in her absence- then it may be in a bottle, but then the bottle would be the exception and not the rule. By promoting bottles like you have been, you are showing them as the norm, undermining God’s plan and His goodness for those that need it the most.

I know sometimes we are in the world so much, we accept it’s way as the norm, without stepping back and looking at it through God’s Word. We are all guilty of this at times. But once we realize what the Bible says about something, we need to take it to heart and act upon it according to His will- no matter what our personal feelings may be, what our current culture claims is right, or what we have done in the past.

I am sure you can think of alternatives to the baby bottles (fake breasts and nipples) for your fund raiser. Some of the other families that are disturbed by this have brain stormed with me to find a good idea that is honoring to God and does not harm babies. Some of them include sippy cups bought in bulk, mini diaper bags, cheap manual breast pumps, cute pinned cloth diapers, tiny decorated piggy banks (sold at Walmart), boxes of breast pads, feeding bowls with lids, baby food jars, gift-wrapped boxes, baby hats sewn shut with a draw string, baby clothes, wipe boxes, etc.

Incase you are wondering just what God does say about breastfeeding, here are a few examples:
-The name for God “El Shaddai” literally means “the breasted one”
- Genesis 49:25, Isaiah 66:10-13, Psalms 22:9-10, I could go on....
- In Romans 1:26-27, the word for women literally means “nipple, to suckle, nurse”
And if God’s Word can’t convince you, hopefully the mountains of scientific proof about the negative consequences of undermining breastfeeding will.

Again, I commend you for the good work you are doing and hope you will prayerfully consider this issue. May God bless your efforts. Thank you.
#10 of 17 Old 06-23-2005, 05:16 PM

That's a wonderful letter you wrote! Hope you see some change in your community!

Mama of three.

#11 of 17 Old 06-23-2005, 06:00 PM

OT but Faith, I didn't know you were from Centralia! I grew up in Chehalis.

Now that I know your location, the bottle thing makes perfect sense! (the community vibe, I mean... )
#12 of 17 Old 06-23-2005, 06:47 PM

Good for you, Faith! My first was also an unplanned pregnancy in college, and bottles were rare with us. It was boobie first and formost and he is still nursing and will be three at the end of summer!
#13 of 17 Old 06-24-2005, 12:54 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
awesome letter!

and the idea of a wipes box is great. wipes could be purchased in bulk at a club store, the wipes put into ziploc bags to be given to needy moms alter, and the boxes could be crazy glued shut, witha slit in the top for $. later they could be cut open to get the $ out. great idea.

Bring back the old MDC
#14 of 17 Old 06-24-2005, 01:44 PM

'And if God’s Word can’t convince you, hopefully the mountains of scientific proof about the negative consequences of undermining breastfeeding will.'

it's subtle, but as a christian being addressed by another christian i'd find that sort of mildly smartassed. there's a bit of 'IF THE BIBLE can't convince you, you worldly heathen you' to it (yes, yes, pagans, i've read the threads. 'heathen' is offensive. that's my point.) sometimes there are times to be vocal & angry, & sometimes you want to pave the way with honey. you're not fighting discrimination here, but trying to effect a paradigm shift amongst people who are already doing good. this may be one of the times for honey. angrifying your intended audience while trying to get them to see things your way may be shooting yourself in the foot.

just a thought. thanks for taking the time. suse
#15 of 17 Old 06-24-2005, 02:50 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I think it's beautifully written! I agree with the above poster about deleting the paragraph about "if the Bible doesn't convince you...." and leaving the whole letter positive.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#16 of 17 Old 06-24-2005, 04:25 PM

Or maybe changing it to "In addition to the Biblical support of breastfeeding, there are mounds of scientific evidence as well."

Awesome letter- it's mamas like you who change the world!

#17 of 17 Old 06-24-2005, 11:52 PM

:

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page