I'll be at the LLL conference July 4th! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 07-03-2005, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
For the past two international conferences, I've wanted to go but they've been all the way across the country and the travel and hotel costs made it impossible to justify. But this one is an hour away, so I'm going for one of the days (tomorrow). I'm so excited. Is anyone else coming?

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 07-05-2005, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was at the Hilton pre-conference to learn more about the WHO code at a NABA workshop. It was really fun and informative. I would have liked to stop by the exhibit hall before I left DC but you had to have a LLL conference ID... and I was not registered for the LLL conference - sucky to be THAT close- and yet so far.

I did get to briefly meet Paul Fleiss when I ran into him in the lobby- which MADE MY DAY. What a gem he is.

Love Sarah
#3 of 9 Old 07-05-2005, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

I went to the "Sweet Dreams" session that Paul Fleiss did on Monday. He's a good speaker, in that you don't feel like he's giving a speech. Rather, it feels like he's talking to you. He used the phrase "totally bizarre" a lot to describe things like sleep training, normal American diets, etc.

#4 of 9 Old 07-05-2005, 05:40 PM

What else did you do? How fun and informative was it?

I'm so jealous! Isn't next year's in Chicago? I'm hoping I can go to that one. :
#5 of 9 Old 07-05-2005, 05:55 PM

I was so excited to move to DC in April and looked forward to the conference, but wasn't able to go. Just really bad timing for us. Such a bummer, but I would LOVE to go to Chicago and make a family trip out of it! Start saving now!!!

I really wanted to see Elizabeth Pantley and the guy that wrote the book "Children who refuse to eat" or something like that, and he just came out w/ a new one this year. Are they selling tapes of any of the speakers there? I know they do that at conferences sometimes.

Hope everyone had a blast!!
#6 of 9 Old 07-06-2005, 04:03 PM

Ugh... yes- you can buy all the sessions on CD rom. I picked up the brochure on that thinking that maybe the lactivists in my town would like to split the cost and invest in it... I was thinking- we can swing $150... but that was the conference price! After the conference it's $250!! Also they have the physicians seminar on a seperate one at a different price $199. It looks like you can purchase individual speaker's talks for about $28.

check it out at www.netsymposium.com

It looks like the "refuse to eat" guy is Carlos Gonzales Rodriguez MD

Love Sarah
#7 of 9 Old 07-06-2005, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, even the CDs of the sessions are really expensive. And I guess they're not offering them on cassette anymore.

#8 of 9 Old 07-06-2005, 11:01 PM

I was there, too! I was actually rather surprised at Dr Fleiss' unprofessional talk. He was totally bashing "Happiest Baby" and Dr Karp. I have no problem with him not agreeing with it, though I found his reasoning a little strange(that babies would forget to breathe while swaddled but that slings are ok), but I was shocked to hear him repeatedly putting down another LLL recommended book/author. Plus, he didn't really seem to talk about his topic much. He talked about circ, vitamin D and sunlight, tylenol and on and on but didn't seem to give a lot of ideas on "getting your baby to sleep". I like his book but was not impressed with his lecture at all.
As for the conference in general, I learned so much at some of the sessions. My mind is still going in 20 directions trying to take it all in. It was awesome!
Suzy

mama to 4 boys, 2 kitties and 42 chickens
#9 of 9 Old 07-09-2005, 08:50 PM

i went on the 3rd! it was neat to be part of the experience though i was a little disappointed int eh sessions. the sessions i really wanted were on the 4th but i really didn't want to drive downtown on the 4th LOL! i'm glad i got to go but still preterbed about how much $ we spent just for the *day*!!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page