Church said breastmilk is bodily fluid, encouraged formula. - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 173 Old 07-25-2005, 11:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Where is the OP? I'm wondering if you attended church yesterday and how it went?
#62 of 173 Old 07-25-2005, 11:58 AM

this was just wayyyy too much for me to ignore.
this group has to be one of the most active i have ever known...

here's an email i sent on behalf of OP...(quick email...)

i recently learned that your nursery refused to give a bottle of breastmilk to a baby in your nursery, recommending formula instead as being 'safer". This is very upsetting, especially considering that you are a house of God and presumably believe that HIS will is greater than any man-made will. Breastmilk is the creation of God, not man. Formula, much less nutritious (as the companies that make it admit) and not nearly as perfect for babies as breastmilk.
I suggest you look to God for answers that your nursery adminstrator may be misguided on.
Sincerely,
Rachel
#63 of 173 Old 07-25-2005, 12:08 PM

Check out the breastfeeding info here, especially the article "Breastfeeding God's Way", and send them to the church: http://www.gentlemothering.com

fyrfly
#64 of 173 Old 07-25-2005, 02:35 PM

I breastfeed my baby in a sling during the church service. Usually people compliment me on "the quietest" baby they have ever seen. Once I did hear someone behind me make a rude comment about me, "I don't understand why she feels the need to come to church to nurse." (As if I come there specifically for my mornng feeding!!)

During that exact service, the pastor gave a sermon on welcoming those who are different and gave examples of people with children leaving a church due to intolerance!!! It was like divine intervention!!! I couldn't help but feel smug, like someone up there was looking out for me!

This may sound extreme, but I believe that things like this are tests that keep people from going to church. You should contact your pastor and discuss this with him/her before you decide to leave the church. (And don't be afraid to find somewhere new, sometimes a new member can do things without being criticized easier than someone who has been around for a while!)

homebirthing organic mama to three crazy boys very blessed!!
#65 of 173 Old 07-25-2005, 04:02 PM
Banned

This morning I was discussing this thread with DH over breakfast. While I was asking him about what info would be most persuaive in a letter my oldest son who just turn 7 looked at me and said "but mama, God gave mamas milk to feed their babies. Maybe some people just don't know that." I can't believe that a child can understand that without any question but grown people are concerned that breast milk is bodily fluid. It is so incredibly silly if you ask me.
#66 of 173 Old 07-25-2005, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppyqwn
This morning I was discussing this thread with DH over breakfast. While I was asking him about what info would be most persuaive in a letter my oldest son who just turn 7 looked at me and said "but mama, God gave mamas milk to feed their babies. Maybe some people just don't know that." I can't believe that a child can understand that without any question but grown people are concerned that breast milk is bodily fluid. It is so incredibly silly if you ask me.
: Awwwwwww! Your son is so sweet!
#67 of 173 Old 07-25-2005, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrflymommy
Check out the breastfeeding info here, especially the article "Breastfeeding God's Way", and send them to the church: http://www.gentlemothering.com
:
#68 of 173 Old 07-25-2005, 06:09 PM

Found this on gentlemothering.com: SOMEONE SEND THIS TO THEM (I sent them a letter already, chances are they won't read another from me)

Breastfeeding Bible Study
© 1995, 1999
written by Cyndi Egbert
All rights reserved.
Permission is given to copy for personal or class use as long as:
It is printed, copied or distributed in its entirety.
No financial gain is realized as a result of its use.
Copyright and authorship info is included.
How is breastfeeding praised in the Bible?
Luke 11:27

What level of importance is breastfeeding given in Scripture?
Genesis 21:7, 49:25

Does an infant need any other nourishment?
Hebrews 5:12-14

Is breastfeeding only for nourishment?
Isaiah 66:10-13

Think about the significance of the functions accorded
to "father" and "mother."
Isaiah 49:23

There are some basic needs that God gave babies:
Physical contact Numbers 11:12
Shared sleep Luke 11:7
Love and care of mother Exodus 2:1-10
Self-sacrificing love 1 Kings 3:16-27
(The situation in this story could have been SIDS or the mother may have been under the influence of drugs or alcohol. Sober mothers DO NOT pose any danger to their babies!)

Do you see ways in which breastfeeding encourages the meeting of these needs?

Does it seem right that a loving God would give babies needs that should not be met?
Philippians 4:19

What do these verses say about how a nursing mother feels about her baby? (Or should feel?)
1 Thessalonians 2:7, Isaiah 49:15

How does her baby feel about her/the milk?
1 Peter 2:2, Psalm 22:9

What does the Bible give as a reason for no milk?
Hosea 9:14

What does God think about a refusal to breastfeed (and those who would discourage it)?
Lamentations 4:3, 4, Job 24:9, 39:13-17

What does the Bible say about weaning? Are these accounts consistent with weaning a baby or young toddler? Perhaps an older child (age 3 or 4)?
Genesis 21:8, 1 Samuel 1:23, 24

Why did Job wish his mother had not nursed him?
Job 3:12, 13

Hopefully you began each portion of this study with prayer. I would ask that you pray again before you read the following Scripture. Please meditate on the significance of Christ's statement and how it relates to today's society:
Luke 23:26-31

copyright by Cyndi Egbert
Used by permission

Disclaimer
#69 of 173 Old 07-25-2005, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppyqwn
Awwww, how sweet. Your son is going to make a wonderfully supportive husband and daddy someday
#70 of 173 Old 07-25-2005, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry I haven't been able to face this for a day.

Checked back in today, and their were four pages of replies, and many people wrote letters. Thank You.

I feel guilty that I didn't mention Nicholas is ten months old, we are no longer facing open gut issues. The idea of them pulling this on a first time mom, with a younger infant made me want to attract some attention. I won't formula feed, but with an older infant it is not such a risk.

I will not attend this church again.

They have not hassled me for feeding Nick in church, that is why I waited so long to try their daycare for him. My older kids like Discovery Island. One of my corrections, is that if you can't behave, we won't be able to go to church. Nice that church was a priviledge I could withdraw instead of something I forced them to do.

Thanks you for your support. I have already left the church I was raised in because the priest laughed at me and said I should not even feed my baby in the parking lot in my car. Later I heard that that church (Greek Orthodox) lost a lawsuit in Canada for denying a blind woman to bring her leader dog into church. They said the leader dog was unclean. I laughed and felt validated, that that church was wacko. (not Northridge)

I will try to check in again soon, and have opened the links for data for my letter to the church.

Sue

#71 of 173 Old 07-25-2005, 07:21 PM

Quote:
I was raised Catholic, and all of the moms would go to the "cry room" with their little ones; that is where my mom would be nursing the latest little one. It was a room with four pews, full of moms and little ones. We could see the rest of the church and the Mass and hear the prayers and choir. At least there was some comraderie.
I attend a catholic church that also has the "cry room" with the big window and the speakers....I refuse to use it. It is so much easier just to latch my child on where I am sitting rather than get up to go to the room.

Plus our room is always overcrowded and noisy so I can never concentrate on the message of the mass for that day anyway.

Sarah - wife, mom to Riley 7/9/03 and Jacob 7/15/05 and Hannah 1/5/11 a successful vbac.gif
#72 of 173 Old 07-25-2005, 07:42 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I think that their policy of insisting on formula for every baby they watch leaves them wide open for a serious lawsuit if a baby reacts badly to that formula.

"Stupid" doesn't even begin to cover that policy given the potential legal ramifications, nevermind the emotional if/when a baby is harmed or killed.

"What will you do once you know?"
#73 of 173 Old 07-25-2005, 08:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntoninBeGonin
Are you sure? Here in IL I was taught that a woman can breastfeed anywhere in public. Church doesn't count because it's a private place so it's up to the individual church. I heard that either through LLL or Dona Int'l training.

You're missing my point. They didn't tell her she couldn't breastfeed; they told her she couldn't leave her child in the nursery with a bottle of EBM.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#74 of 173 Old 07-25-2005, 09:44 PM

Meiri-

You said it! Insisting that all babies left in the nursery be fed formula, which by the way CAN cause death if it has bacteria and is fed to a ill baby (I forget the name of the bacteria, just know there's a couple lawsuits related to it, very quiet of course) is INSANE. If someone with just a tiny bit of sense thought about this they would change this policy asap.

I *really* think the person who wrote the policy is a very guilty ex-formula feeding mom who has a grudge against nursing moms. Very very sad.
#75 of 173 Old 07-25-2005, 10:17 PM

I know this is a little dishonest, but I would do it and then laugh because I would feel evil. :LOL Why not just give them the bottle and tell them it's formula? Just tell them it's ready to eat, they just need to give it a shake before feeding?
I mean, it doesn't change the policy (which needs to be shot down), but I'd do it and then come back after the service and say "nah nah! You touched my breastmilk!"
:LOL heh. I'm in a funky mood today.

Mom to Dakota (6), Coy, (4), Max, (4), Lily (4), and Auri (June 19th 2010)!
Visit Lily's site at www.caringbridge.org/visit/lilymathis1
#76 of 173 Old 07-25-2005, 10:18 PM

OH CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
#77 of 173 Old 07-25-2005, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn
I know this is a little dishonest, but I would do it and then laugh because I would feel evil. :LOL Why not just give them the bottle and tell them it's formula? Just tell them it's ready to eat, they just need to give it a shake before feeding?
Great minds think alike. :

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#78 of 173 Old 07-25-2005, 10:28 PM

To the OP: So sorry you had to go through this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericswifey27
So in this case it wasn't the church complaining, but my ultra-Catholic mother. I was raised Catholic and even confirmed, but I stopped going because of people like my mom with their judgemental and misinformed attitudes.
I just have to comment... Ericswifey, your mom is not being ultra-Catholic, rather ultra-against-BF, and not Catholic enough. Catholics are encouraged to be open to life. According to the church the only acceptable way of limiting the size of one's family is through natural methods. Thus many families at some point space births by breastfeeding on demand. They recognize bf as part of God's plan for the family. The only Catholic parishes where I have been that made me feel uncomfortable breastfeeding during Mass right where I was sitting were places that did not seem to follow the teachings of the church closely in many aspects. Thus.... A church may teach, but that does not mean people listen and act accordingly...

Sorry.. not trying to take this thread in the wrong direction... I believe very strongly, as many others here, that every church should recognize the importance of bf. We should no get too upset when some misguided member of a congrigation makes a stupid remark. However, when something dumb is written in the actual rules of the church, I think it makes sense to wonder where the place is coming from in other issues as well.

To the OP... I hope that you will find a wonderful church that will support your work as a parent!

Mama to a little lady and always praying for more.
#79 of 173 Old 07-25-2005, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie
Great minds think alike. :
:LOL We usually do

Mom to Dakota (6), Coy, (4), Max, (4), Lily (4), and Auri (June 19th 2010)!
Visit Lily's site at www.caringbridge.org/visit/lilymathis1
#80 of 173 Old 07-25-2005, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn
I mean, it doesn't change the policy (which needs to be shot down), but I'd do it and then come back after the service and say "nah nah! You touched my breastmilk!"
:LOL heh. I'm in a funky mood today.
Holy moly (no pun intended) that was funny! :nana:

Wifey to Hubby, Mama to Boy (2004) and Girl (2009). 
#81 of 173 Old 07-25-2005, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chersolly
Why can't you nurse your baby in the church area while viewing the service?
: the only two times i've been in church since ds was born, i nursed.
#82 of 173 Old 07-25-2005, 11:01 PM

It really IS absurd. I hope you can shake the dust off your sandles as you journey to a new fellowship in Christ.

Or if you are led to confront them in love, be wise and do not fear.

Regardless, I will be praying for you.

:
#83 of 173 Old 07-25-2005, 11:30 PM

How sad, in our Church we don't even have a nursery for babes they have to be 18 mo. and by then my DC were ready to go for at least 2 hrs w/o moms milk. They want you to keep your babes close to you. We have comfortable mothers rooms where we can hear what's being said in the Chapel and you can sit outside in the entryway on the soft couches. I personaly don't nurse in the Chapel. but there are women who do.
Sorry OP, I hope you can find a Church that fits your needs.

Flora
#84 of 173 Old 07-25-2005, 11:40 PM

I grew up Catholic and although they had the cry room with the window I always thought that it was for if your kids were making noise - it was soundproofed - not a place where you had to hide to breastfeed. If they were trying to hide the moms the big window would kind of defeat the purpose.
#85 of 173 Old 07-25-2005, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalateaDunkel
I grew up Catholic and although they had the cry room with the window I always thought that it was for if your kids were making noise - it was soundproofed - not a place where you had to hide to breastfeed. If they were trying to hide the moms the big window would kind of defeat the purpose.
Yup.

#86 of 173 Old 07-25-2005, 11:44 PM

i'm so sorry they treated you that way. how upsetting. i hope you can find some good information to share with them about the benefits of bm and perhaps they can change their ridiculous policy.
hugs to you mama!
#87 of 173 Old 07-25-2005, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspeeper
One comment: JESUS WAS BREASTFED.

I am sorry you had to go through this.

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#88 of 173 Old 07-25-2005, 11:48 PM

I nurse during mass all of the time.

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#89 of 173 Old 07-26-2005, 12:24 AM

I've been reading this thread with interest. I'm finding a common theme among the Catholic Mamas and I love it. I wish more Christian churches were more open to breastfeeding. Most Christian churches I've been to don't have a "cry room". Ours has a nursery and if you need to you can go there, but it's not really condusive to breastfeeding. They have rocking chairs and a live audio feed, but it's not discreet and it's where all the kids up to the age of 2 are. So, if you have a disctractable nursing baby, you're in trouble. Also, most Christians don't seem to really understand breastfeeding. I'd LOVE to be able to blame Ezzo for it, but I think it started before he got popular. I don't understand that way of thinking. Jesus was breastfed and they say probably for more than 6yrs, same with David. I get strange looks when I admit to still breastfeeding my 3y/o and if they knew how often they'd probably faint. It's really sad What happened to being "Christ-like"?? Wouldn't that extend to the youngest members of our faith??
#90 of 173 Old 07-26-2005, 12:32 AM

This really stinks, I am so sorry this happened to you.

Ready to hear from another Catholic?
I not only nurse in the pew but several times I have taken Communion from my priest with a baby attached to my breast. At least two of the priests have made positive comments. They are so comfortable with it they bless the nursing babe by placing their hand on her head.
PJII came out very pro breastfeeding in Vatican II. The NFP classes the church teaches are not only pro breastfeeding but pro demand feeding and co-sleeping and baby wearing and anti supplement and discourage pacifiers because all suckling should be done at the breast.
"For you shall nurse and be satisfied at her comforting breast" Isaiah 66:11

Keri

Keri wife and Mama to  Cory 17,  Brendan 15,  Kerianne 8,  Avery 7,  Lilia 3

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page