Church said breastmilk is bodily fluid, encouraged formula. - Page 6 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#151 of 173 Old 07-29-2005, 05:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't see how a caregiver making a mistake should change the entire "feeding" policy. If anything, they should be more vigilent about bottles/bags/children being labeled well. It's not like formula is some inoccuous substance and it's all the same. Some babies could have severe reactions from it.

And I don't get a parent totally freaking out about their kid getting some bm. So they aren't ever kissed by strangers, getting sneezed on by other kids, sucking on someone else's paci....??? "Body fluids" get swapped all the time. It's just that it happened to a "doctor" who of course knows everything and is super powerful. Just ticks me off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#152 of 173 Old 07-29-2005, 05:33 PM

While I agree with so much of what everyone is saying I do think it is important that we respect her wishes now and lay off the church. We do not belong to it and she does and she has requested this. She (OP) is also a new member and I would hate to see her frightened off my our militant lactavist ways.
#153 of 173 Old 07-29-2005, 05:35 PM

[QUOTE=EmmaJean]I don't see how a caregiver making a mistake should change the entire "feeding" policy. If anything, they should be more vigilent about bottles/bags/children being labeled well. It's not like formula is some inoccuous substance and it's all the same. Some babies could have severe reactions from it.

...QUOTE]

I agree. Our Church labels EVERYTHING!!! When DS#3 was born, While I was asleep the nurse came in took AJ to the nursery and game him Formula. Even though on my birth plan it said "BREASTFEEDING ABOLUTLY NO FORMULA"
When I woke up to go to the restroom He was sleeping peacefully on his back, as I walkled out of the restroom He was gagging turning purle, I turned him over and he began puking up what looked like cottage cheese. Hello Not breast milk. I called the nurses in they said it was no biggy (still not telling me he was feed) After lots of probing we finally found out. He had a bad reaction to the formula. Grrr Still makes me mad!!
#154 of 173 Old 07-29-2005, 05:43 PM

stacy, that's horrible!!! The gaul of some people, like the babies are their property until you take them home.

#155 of 173 Old 07-29-2005, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockingup99
Yes, I could always nurse anywhere it church. My point was that she encouraged me to. My previous church said not even in the parking lot.
#156 of 173 Old 07-29-2005, 06:44 PM

[QUOTE=lactationmom]They NEED to have some kind of supportive statement on their site, at the very least, which is in favor of breastfeeding then! To just say "no breastmilk, only formula" is VERY damaging to say the least. A simple statement to clarify their stand is needed, such as "we highly encourage all moms to nurse their babies/children in chuch and welcome you to do so at any time. However, if you so choose to leave your child in the nursery, we are unable to accept a bottle of EBM due to a past event where a baby was given the wrong bottle. We will be prompt in calling you from service to nurse your child when the situation calls for it." Or something like that .
QUOTE]

Well said!! And also, if a nursing mom objects to it, they should allow her to label the bottle and have it given to her baby w/ precaution (Just as they should be doing with the bottles of formula, btw)

Mama to my spirited J, and L, my homebirth: baby especially DTaP, MMR (family vax injuries)
#157 of 173 Old 07-29-2005, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockingup99
Yesterday, I brought a bottle of breastmilk to church so I could enjoy the service. They informed me of their "breastmilk guidelines" which state that breastmilk is a bodily fluid, and cannot be used by the caregivers. They offered me free formula, and encouraged its use as safer.

I left the baby with them and said no to formula. They beeped me before the service even started and asked me to take him into their nursing closet to feed him. I took the baby and left in tears.

I am going to miss that church. www.northridgechurch.com

Does anyone have a link to a good page of info from a source they would recognize? I am going to write a letter and would like to include a page or to of science. So sad, other mothers may feed that crap to their little ones thinking just one bottle is okay.

I am so sorry. That is so wrong of them
#158 of 173 Old 08-02-2005, 04:15 AM

I will respect the OP's wishes, but suggest that the church's decision is still wrong and potentially harmful.

As someone who's EBM was fed to the wrong baby (two babies named Jack in the same daycare and a floater who was unfamiliar gave my EBM to the formula-fed other Jack), I can assure you that the only tests that were run were on me, for which I volunteered -- HIV and Hepatitis B. If the mom who supplied the milk is negative, the baby should not need testing at all.

The policy still sets up EBM as a dangerous substance or one that is at higher risk than formula. Again, feeding a baby the wrong formula is potentially higher risk than feeding a baby EBM.

Personally, I would not let the matter rest until the policy was overturned or until they came up with a medical rationale for the policy.

On another note, it disturbs me that the church reported angry letters. I as much as anyone get enraged over violation of breastfeeding rights, but hope that everyone realizes that a CALM strongly worded letter will make a greater positive difference than a rant, which just makes us sound like and lends credence to the argument that we don't need to be listened to.

Shannon, mama to Jack :
: : : : : :
#159 of 173 Old 08-02-2005, 11:12 AM

wow. that breaks my heart.
Maybe you could organize a "nurse-out"??

If I lived in Michigan, I'd come!!
#160 of 173 Old 08-02-2005, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sntm
I will respect the OP's wishes, but suggest that the church's decision is still wrong and potentially harmful.

As someone who's EBM was fed to the wrong baby (two babies named Jack in the same daycare and a floater who was unfamiliar gave my EBM to the formula-fed other Jack), I can assure you that the only tests that were run were on me, for which I volunteered -- HIV and Hepatitis B. If the mom who supplied the milk is negative, the baby should not need testing at all.

The policy still sets up EBM as a dangerous substance or one that is at higher risk than formula. Again, feeding a baby the wrong formula is potentially higher risk than feeding a baby EBM.

Personally, I would not let the matter rest until the policy was overturned or until they came up with a medical rationale for the policy.

On another note, it disturbs me that the church reported angry letters. I as much as anyone get enraged over violation of breastfeeding rights, but hope that everyone realizes that a CALM strongly worded letter will make a greater positive difference than a rant, which just makes us sound like and lends credence to the argument that we don't need to be listened to.
:

And jucifer... in a way I'd want a Nurse In (a Nurse Out is not a protest) but then again, we've probably already given the impression of nursing wackos anyway. All we can do is encourage the OP and see if she can make small changes. It's been almost two years since someone complained because I nurse during church, but my pastor backed me up and I wrote a letter to that person full of information and nary a snarky word (I edited those out before I printed it ) and now at long last there's a pregnant mom at church who will be nursing... and another one with preemies who is nursing. Yippee! And if anyone doesn't like it, they're not saying.
#161 of 173 Old 08-07-2005, 04:21 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Uh, isn't formula a bodily fluid?

See my sig:
#162 of 173 Old 08-07-2005, 10:40 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by julie128
Uh, isn't formula a bodily fluid?

See my sig:
No. Why would you say formula is a bodily fluid? Formula is a chemical substance and is not alive.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#163 of 173 Old 08-07-2005, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie
No. Why would you say formula is a bodily fluid? Formula is a chemical substance and is not alive.
I think what the poster meant is that it is made from a bodily fluid...not a human one though! (Cow's milk.)

Take the time to heal from your marriage before you move on with someone else. Make a list of all the qualities you would like in a new partner and then work on growing that way yourself. ~mandib50
#164 of 173 Old 08-07-2005, 10:49 AM

I guess I see that, but I think it's splitting hairs. Lots of things have their origins in other animals "body fluids". By that definition, my kids beeswax crayons are a body fluid.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#165 of 173 Old 08-07-2005, 11:45 AM

much formula is soy I thought
#166 of 173 Old 08-07-2005, 12:02 PM

I'm not trying to run the thread in a completely different direction; the comment just struck me weird. There's enough against formula and in breastmilk's favor without making assertions that can be so easily disputed.

#167 of 173 Old 08-07-2005, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspeeper
One comment: JESUS WAS BREASTFED.
Yeah, and for AT LEAST 2 years per Jewish law, more likely 3 or 4.
#168 of 173 Old 08-09-2005, 12:28 PM

Did you remind them that they believe that GOD makes breasts?
#169 of 173 Old 08-09-2005, 04:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahwebb
Oh, boy. I couldn't resist writing the church and did a web search to check my facts.

I found the following CDC link which includes breastmilk on a list of body fluids that transmit contain high concentrations of HIV

http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/pubs/faq/faq37.htm

I am seriously concerned about this and how it might affect day care centers and other facilities' handling of expressed breast milk.

I'm writing the CDC and starting a new thread.

Since I posted this, I found the following link regarding ebm in daycare settings. It references the CDC and states the the risk of transmission by feeding a baby the wrong bottle is very low.
http://www.kidsource.com/kidsource/...d.fr.home.html
Here's some info I found on kellymom about breastfeeding and HIV transmission. According to it, exclusive bfing helps to prevent the spread and transmission of HIV.

http://www.pharmacytimes.com/article.cfm?ID=2428

The study write up from PubMed

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...396&query_hl=5

It was done published in April of 2005 so it's pretty current.

-jeanine and connor 2 yo
#170 of 173 Old 08-10-2005, 03:42 PM

Quote:
I've been reading this thread with interest. I'm finding a common theme among the Catholic Mamas and I love it. I wish more Christian churches were more open to breastfeeding
another catholic that BF in mass. I actually came to AP and ExtendedBF hrough Sheila Kippley's book BF and Natural Child Spacing. I can't wait to read her new book, Breastfeeding and Catholic Motherhood
#171 of 173 Old 08-10-2005, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roma
another catholic that BF in mass. I actually came to AP and ExtendedBF hrough Sheila Kippley's book BF and Natural Child Spacing.
So did I!

Sarah - wife, mom to Riley 7/9/03 and Jacob 7/15/05 and Hannah 1/5/11 a successful vbac.gif
#172 of 173 Old 08-10-2005, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie
That is disgusting.

Body fluid?

NURSING CLOSET?!?!

Honey, find a church that actually teaches the same compassion, love, and nurturing that Jesus did.
:

It never ceases to amaze me how un-Christ-like some Christians act

I'm sorry you had to go through that.
#173 of 173 Old 08-12-2005, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleurae
much formula is soy I thought
There is no soy in regular milk based formulas and hydrolyzed formulas, only soy formulas. I think the current starts are about not quite 1/4 of all babies use soy.

Anyways, I'm SOOOOO sorry this happened to you. I can't imagine. I feel blessed now to have so many nursings moms at our church. We nurse in the church nursery and there's usually at least one of us in there. I think we have 3 nursing moms right now w/ 2 due in the next few months. I would find a new church personally, but that could just be me.

Quote:
another catholic that BF in mass.
Count me in if a Cahtolic funeral counts! :LOL

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page