Church said breastmilk is bodily fluid, encouraged formula. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-24-2005, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yesterday, I brought a bottle of breastmilk to church so I could enjoy the service. They informed me of their "breastmilk guidelines" which state that breastmilk is a bodily fluid, and cannot be used by the caregivers. They offered me free formula, and encouraged its use as safer.

I left the baby with them and said no to formula. They beeped me before the service even started and asked me to take him into their nursing closet to feed him. I took the baby and left in tears.

I am going to miss that church. www.northridgechurch.com

Does anyone have a link to a good page of info from a source they would recognize? I am going to write a letter and would like to include a page or to of science. So sad, other mothers may feed that crap to their little ones thinking just one bottle is okay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2005, 02:54 PM

I am so so so sorry for you mommy!

I am not meaning to bash your choice of church.. but perhaps you are better off with out them.. that is just down right rude and discrimination!

best of luck finding a new one!!!!
Old 07-24-2005, 03:15 PM

Do the caregivers refuse to change diapers, too? Seems like there'd be a lot of bodily fluids in there. I would think that if that was really the issue, they could wear gloves so as not to get your breastmilk cooties on their cwean widdle fingers. Bah. :
Old 07-24-2005, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockingup99
They beeped me before the service even started and asked me to take him into their nursing closet to feed him. I took the baby and left in tears.
Nursing closet??

Quote:
I am going to miss that church.
Why?
Old 07-24-2005, 03:21 PM

Most daycares will use ebm if mom provides it. Why would your church be any different? Maybe you can talk to a local daycare and find out their policies on breastmilk and why it's allowed, since they have to conform to health standards. Then bring a copy of that to the church.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

Old 07-24-2005, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonnymoose
Nursing closet??

Why?
:
Old 07-24-2005, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

The nursing room the church provides is about walkin closet size, and has a TV so you can view the service.

Last week, when I didn't bring a bottle, I nursed in the rocking chair in the hall, and they encouraged me to use the closet for privacy. I said that the TV would just distract him, and did not get up.

Thanks for your kind replies.

After more than five years of nursing, my three children, I didn't think I would be so upset by this. I feel much better after reading the replies.

Old 07-24-2005, 03:41 PM

i'm so sorry mama! People are so ignorant! I can't believe that they didn't realize that cow's milk is a bodily fluid from an animal that usually stands around in it's own feces most of the day!

Maybe everyone should write this "church" and educate them!
Old 07-24-2005, 03:50 PM

One comment: JESUS WAS BREASTFED.
Old 07-24-2005, 04:00 PM

Would you be up to asking for a meeting with the Pastor? Or how about writing a letter? We can help you. And then you can send a copy to all that might need to read it like the Senior Pastor, Executive Pastor, Discovery Island Kid's Ministries, Facilities. Married Adults and Seasoned Adults, Special Needs of Children and Adults, Women's Ministries.
Let them know how it hurt you and how breastmilk is not a dirty bodily fluid and formula feeding should not be encouraged over breastmilk. I'm sure that if you start a letter and post it, lots of women can give you wonderful tips on where to insert facts and statistics.
Old 07-24-2005, 04:03 PM

I hope you don't mind- I emailed the Pastor of the church. I was very calm and gentle, not crazy, but I just find it so sad other mamas and children feel unwelcome there too (along with the absurd policy) when Jesus said, "Let the little children come to me" and he created women's bodies to NURTURE a child. ARrrghh!
Old 07-24-2005, 04:31 PM

That is outrageous! And, yes, let us know if you don't mind ... I'd love to write a calm and informative letter to the pastor, children's pastor, married couple's pastor ... explaining their ignorance in their decisions.

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
Old 07-24-2005, 04:39 PM

I would LOVE to read about a nurse-in in front of a church personally!!
Old 07-24-2005, 04:43 PM
Banned

for bringing this issue to light and taking action. It is not only churches but hospitals that need to be educated. Medical doctors these days are taught that breastmilk is a bodily fluid. They are taught that exchange of bodily fluids causes infection to pass from one person to another. When I had my second dd, the doctor called CPS on me for breastfeeding, because I was endangering her life. I might give her an infection!!!
Thankfully, the Director of the CPS was a mom who had breastfed her kids and told the doctor that if he had written proof that I was endangering my child by breastfeeding and going against medical advice, then she would pursue the matter.

I would hate if it is yet another tool for formula companies to use to get moms not to breastfeed.
Old 07-24-2005, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaInTheBoonies
: When I had my second dd, the doctor called CPS on me for breastfeeding, because I was endangering her life. I might give her an infection!!!

You have to be kidding us!
Old 07-24-2005, 05:50 PM
Banned

I wish I was. I have to say that in hind sight I hope that experience will be the worst experience of my life.
I have all my medical records and the doctors notes and even the notes from his phone call to CPS. I wish I had a scanner to show you.
I did hire a lawyer, but they were unable to do anything, since neither my baby nor I died or was physically damaged by what was done to us. Well, the physical damage that was done to me was OKAY, because c-sec surgeons are not infallible
The doctor that did my surgery was supposedly the best, and yet he still managed to sever ALL the nerves on my left side, so I have no feeling on the right side of my genetalia Still don't have that feeling of needing to go to the restroom, kwim? I just have to sit every once in a while and try to go.
I refused the 'emergency c-sec', they knocked me out and did it anyways. Of course, my emergency was at exactly 24 hours after I got to the hospital

okay, sorry, I am getting off topic.
Old 07-24-2005, 06:08 PM

How aweful for you with the c-sec

Stocking up- here is the info you requested in your OP

Quote:
As of this date, human milk is not (nor has it ever been) included in federal health agencies listings of body fluids governed by universal precautions for bloodborne pathogens which would mandate handling and feeding with rubber gloves or storage in a separate refrigerator as a biohazardous material. This continues to be the current policy of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA).
Full info here http://www.lalecheleague.org/Release/daycare.html
Old 07-24-2005, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockingup99
Yesterday, I brought a bottle of breastmilk to church so I could enjoy the service. They informed me of their "breastmilk guidelines" which state that breastmilk is a bodily fluid, and cannot be used by the caregivers. They offered me free formula, and encouraged its use as safer.

I left the baby with them and said no to formula. They beeped me before the service even started and asked me to take him into their nursing closet to feed him. I took the baby and left in tears.

I am going to miss that church. www.northridgechurch.com

Does anyone have a link to a good page of info from a source they would recognize? I am going to write a letter and would like to include a page or to of science. So sad, other mothers may feed that crap to their little ones thinking just one bottle is okay.
Whaaaaa???

So do they have their caregivers drink the milk from your child's bottle?

Really weird. Really backward imo. Good for you for wanting to write a letter. It's hard for me to think of where to begin with providing info because their position is so strange.

I went over to the LLL web site and searched for info. First I looked under daycare. Then I searched using the term bloodborne or pathogen (I forget which) and found this:

http://www.lalecheleague.org/Release/daycare.html

I wish the date were more recent, but if you don't find something better I would print this out and include it with your letter. I have called LLL's Center for Breastfeeding Information in the past for help with a problem. Maybe try to track down their phone number and call them on Monday and see if they have ideas.

You could also call a local LLL leader or get help from the reference librarian at your local public library. A lot of places have online chat-based reference now which is super convenient.

And I agree with pp that I would not miss this church either. I think you deserve a lot better!

Good luck with this!
Old 07-24-2005, 06:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
That is disgusting.

Body fluid?

NURSING CLOSET?!?!

Honey, find a church that actually teaches the same compassion, love, and nurturing that Jesus did.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Old 07-24-2005, 06:34 PM

Wow - I am just floored by this. Trying to encourage the use of formula? A nursing "closet"?

I'm sorry you liked your church and are going to miss it but I know you can find a better one.

I nurse in my church all the time - during the service next to everyone else.

Great for nature studies! http://www.pleinairkids.com
Plein Air Kids - Handmade wooden art boxes for Budding Artists.
Old 07-24-2005, 06:36 PM

Why can't you nurse your baby in the church area while viewing the service?
Old 07-24-2005, 06:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I sent this letter both to their nursery coordinator and the general email site:
Quote:
It has recently come to my attention, on a message board that I belong to, that you refused a mother her request that her baby be given a bottle of expressed breastmilk in your nursery. Shame on you. Breastmilk is God's design for babies. It is a miraculous living substance, unlike formula, a man-made dead substance that was designed by man. Shame on you for humiliating this mother, and placing her breastmilk on the same level as excrement and vomit. Shame on you for causing scandal before our Lord by thinking you know better than his Holy plan for babies. Shame on you.
Here are the links
http://www.northridgechurch.com/About/Contact.asp
And here is the contact page for the nursery administrator
http://www.northridgechurch.com/Kids/Programs/

Here are their horrible nursery guidelines:
http://www.northridgechurch.com/kids...erPolicies.asp

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Old 07-24-2005, 06:58 PM

My own mother admonished me for nursing my 18 month old in church (very discreetly btw!) She then told me to go outside and nurse him. So I sat on a curb in the hot hot sun in 90 degree weather, nursing my son. I should have just ignored her and nursed in church anyway. Of course my mom didn't say anything about my sister feeding her 9 month old daughter a bottle of formula at the same time. ugh. So in this case it wasn't the church complaining, but my ultra-Catholic mother. I was raised Catholic and even confirmed, but I stopped going because of people like my mom with their judgemental and misinformed attitudes. What could be more natural than breastfeeding? I just don't get why people are uncomfortable with people nursing in public.

Mama to my spirited J, and L, my homebirth: baby especially DTaP, MMR (family vax injuries)
Old 07-24-2005, 07:12 PM

I don't know that I would miss a church like that! Besides, they seem to have other issues in play as well. For example, when you go to the Discovery Island, Parents link, you will see that "Women only are permitted to assist children in bathrooms if needed". Ummm, can we say sexist and ill? Apparently, men are so likely to molest children that they are never, ever allowed to assist children in the restrooms. OTOH, women are NEVER guilty of child abuse, so they are the only ones who can wipe a kid's butt or pull his pants up. Seriously, any church with people who are so utterly clueless about so many things is probably not a great place to be. I would never want my child involved in any program that seems so openly convinced that men are uncontrollable child molesters. What does that teach little boys about themselves and little girls about men?
Old 07-24-2005, 07:14 PM

I saw that also and immediatly had the same thought as you.

in another part it says men are Exempt from having to change diapers and assist in the bathrooms, that makes it sound like it must be womens' work!

Either way I don't like it!

That link I posted previously to LLL has an address and phone number of the place that put out the AAP guidelines, maybe they have an updated version you could send to the church
Old 07-24-2005, 07:18 PM

To whoever said something about a nurse in, who about a pump in! We could show up with our Pumps and feed our babes EBM!

Never participated in a nurse in before, but I am only a bit over an hour away so I would if one were organized
Old 07-24-2005, 07:24 PM

I really thought this was a joke at first, OH MY GOODNESS!!!

Didn't read all the posts but did anyone give you this:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/links/bf-links-religion.html

http://home.earthlink.net/%7Emcjohns...honorsgod.html

Seriously, read these and print them out-take them to that church ASAP.
Old 07-24-2005, 07:36 PM

The first sentence in Pastor Powell's intro letter

On behalf of our entire church family we want you to know that we are dedicated to meeting the needs of people wherever they are in life.

Sorry you had a bad experience mama, I guess that they need to have a little education. Sometimes when we have been made to feel bad or wronged it is a very hard time to feel in the educating mood. I would present you pastor with info on this if you feel you can face him.
Old 07-24-2005, 07:41 PM

Just sent a response to Tracey something or another.

I hope you get an apology at the very least! This needs to be brought to the attention of the local media, and maybe a lawyer. Can you say DISCRIMINATION?
Can you imagine how it must have felt to be african american during the 50's, to be told to go to another drinking fountain? This is NO different and it sucks. Parents need to stand up for themselves, we can all help with suggestions and letter writing. :
Old 07-24-2005, 07:43 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspeeper
One comment: JESUS WAS BREASTFED.
s up! I think that should be included in any letter you write to the Church.

Furthermore, I think bottle/formula feeding is a filthy, dirty habit that should only be carried out in the privacy of a bathroom, or "nursing closet". Sounds like mama abuse to me.

People have such weird hang-ups!

Get over it!

You may want to check with your state laws...in California, land of fruit and nuts, women can whip out their silicon breasts and feed their hungry babies any time they want, any where they want!!

Furthermore, LLLI was founded in 1956 in Chicago by a group of Catholic mamas at a Church picnic nursing their nurslings, and discussing how they could help other women with their newborn feeding problems the same as they had helped each other.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."

User Tag List