CDC: Breastmilk transmits HIV - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-26-2005, 02:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
While doing some research for a letter to the church mentioned in the "Church said breastmilk is bodily fluid, encouraged formula." thread:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...36#post3515636

I found a CDC webpage that includes breastmilk on a list of body fluids that contain high concentrations of and transmilt HIV

http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/pubs/faq/faq37.htm

I'm planning to write to the CDC and request their recommendations for handling expressed breastmilk and use of ebm in daycare and nursery settings.

Although I respect the need to be cautious, I am deeply concerned by this information and the impact it could have on mother's who want care providers to feed their children ebm.

Sarah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2005, 02:53 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
That's nothing new- it's been known that mothers can transmit HIV to their infants via breastmilk for years. This is when the baby is drinking the milk. I'm still not aware of any dangers involved in HANDLING breastmilk, particularly in the context of feeding it to a baby via bottle or sippy cup.

ETA I just emailed CDC as well, asking if there is any risk of transmission of HIV for child care providers feeding expressed breast milk to babies. Maybe if this is asked frequently enough, they can add this to the FAQ??

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
Old 07-26-2005, 03:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know the information has been known for years. My concern was how isolated it was on this particular faq. I fear that the faq may have been used to craft the NorthRidge Church nursery's policy against allowing mothers to bring ebm for their babies.

I found several websites that referenced or used information from this CDC faq.

I also found the following site which cites the CDC as its source. According to it, breast milk is not considered a hazard in day care settings and the likely hood of transmission to another child who is accidentally given the wrong bottle is very low. It says transmission is unlikely because US mothers who know they are HIV positive are advised not to breast feed and because time, cold temperatures and chemicals in breast milk destroy the HIV virus present in the milk.
http://www.kidsource.com/kidsource/c...d.fr.home.html

I could not find the referenced article, "The ABCs of Safe and Healthy Childcare" on the CDC website. I wrote the CDC and requested a copy of the article and asked that they include some information about the safety of expressed breastmilk on the faq37. I submitted my letter via the CDC web form. I also sent a copy to a friend who works at CDC and asked her to pass it on to the appropriate person.

Sarah

User Tag List