Is Domperidone safe during pregnancy? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 07-26-2005, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know it takes time to kick in and I want to be off to a good start next time I have a baby (unlike the first time). So is it safe to take in the my last month of pregnancy?

Mother of 3, welcomed a new baby girl July 2011

#2 of 10 Old 07-26-2005, 09:56 PM

I don't think it will do any good. Domperidone works by increasing prolactin, and your body won't start producing prolactin until your placenta delivers. You can't "build up" a milk supply in advance.

I think you're better off being prepared mentally, consulting with an IBCLC to get a game plan for any issues that you may have had in the past, going to LLL meetings for support, lining up help, filling up the deep freeze so you won't have to cook for a while, etc.

You might want to check out the book Mother Food for Breastfeeding Mothers by Hilary Jacobson.

Good luck, mama!

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#3 of 10 Old 07-27-2005, 12:10 PM

I agree. See a lactation consultant before having the baby to discuss your previous troubles and make a game plan for the new baby. Also, you can try fenugreek after you deliver, if you don't want to use a drug. Good luck!

homebirthing organic mama to three crazy boys very blessed!!
#4 of 10 Old 07-28-2005, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter

Ive been writing success stories on bfar.org and most of the moms say they were able to get about 50-80% of the babies nutrition from breast and the rest formula. Im having a hard time understanding why you cant get 100% from the breast. Can you not build up enough milk in time for the next feeding?

#5 of 10 Old 07-28-2005, 09:07 PM

BFAR is about Breastfeeding after reduction surgery, and this surgery often severs the milk ducts, making it hard if not impossible to build up a full supply. These women's breasts just won't make enough milk to completely feed their babies.

Did you have a breast reduction? Why did you have low supply issues before, do you know? Maybe we can help you brainstorm or point you in the direction of more resources if we know more about what the issues were.

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#6 of 10 Old 07-29-2005, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

Duh, I can't believe I forgot to put that I had reduction surgery in my OP. So, no matter what I do (pumping, nursing frequently, using galactogogues, etc) I still won't have enough of a supply? For some reason I can't understand why.

Here's my story:

I can tell you with my son, I was leaking colostrum in my 8-9th month of pregnancy. Then after I gave birth he was in the nicu for a day. I went to visit him the next morning (i gave birth at night) and asking if I could nurse him. I remember he latched on and sucked for a while and then went to sleep. I have no idea if anything came out. Then later that day they brought him to my room and I tried to nurse him again. I really didnt know anything about breastfeeding and didnt know how to get him latched on correctly. I remember the nurse being no help and telling me not to nurse and longer than 10 minutes on each side. And I stupidly listened. So when I pulled him off after 10 minutes he screamed, and they shoved a pacifier in his mouth. Then an LC who worked for the hospital told me that if I don't give him formula he could get brain damaged from malnutrition and that since I had reduction surgery he wont be able to nurse. So that really scared me and I started giving him bottles. A few days later my breasts became really large and hard like rocks. I wasnt sure what that meant. I called my ob and he told me to wear a really tight bra and make sure I have my back to the shower flow.

Thats about all I remember.

I appreciate all your help.

#7 of 10 Old 07-29-2005, 09:43 PM

I don't know whether or not you'll have a full supply - but it certainly sounds as if you'll have milk! I've also read that your milk supply can build back up as ducts recanalize with subsequent pregnancies.

I would definitely read the book Defining Your Own Success that's written by the author/owner of the BFAR site, Diana West: http://www.bfar.org/book.shtml

Also read through http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/index.html

It wouldn't be a bad idea to at least have some domperidone on hand for once your new baby comes. And I'm sure the ladies at BFAR can give you far better advice than I can, but my other thought would definitely be to have a lactation consultant who has experience with breastfeeding after reduction on hand to help.

Good luck, mama!

#8 of 10 Old 07-30-2005, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

Ya know what I just remembered that Kelly from Kelly mom is an LLL leader in my town. I should ask her for help as she is very knowledgeable. Thanks for all your help Quirky!

#9 of 10 Old 07-30-2005, 06:44 PM

You're welcome! That's awesome about Kellymom being local to you - I worship the ground she walks on! You should definitely give her a call. The LLL library may have a lot of great books, including the Defining Your Own Success one, you could borrow.

#10 of 10 Old 07-30-2005, 07:07 PM

After a reduction surgery - you just have to try and see what happens! You know your milk will come in, so that's one unknown conquered. You know it happens relatively quickly (no 7 day wait for you), so that's another unknown conquered.

You'll need to make sure your breasts get lots of stimulation (just like any other new mom) - so avoid pacificers and bottles, and make sure that you don't miss feedings. Insuring a good latch is important, too, so you don't get sore.

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page