Humana Insurance- good news! - Mothering Forums

#1 of 10 Old 07-27-2005, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just have to share this with you guys- I got a homestretch pregnancy info booklet from Humana yesterday as part of their "Beginnings" pregnancy support program (includes monthly phone calls from their nurse to see how I am doing and to answer any questions concerning pregnancy)

Anyway- the booklet covered issues like how to recognize when you are going into labor, pre-enclampsia etc... so anyway, one page had a list of issues you might want to bring up with your doctor before the birth - like Natural Childbirth, VBAC, Circumcision... well what would you expect they would say about infant feeding? "Discuss your infant feeding options..." NO!! They say that you should consider getting a breastfeeding exam- that most women have no problems, but that some women with flat or inverted nipples can be helped if they have time to prepare- they ASSUME that you will be breastfeeding- they don't even mention making a *decision* as to how you might feed your baby or asking your doctor's opinion on the issue! (years ago a doctor told me that "Breastfeeding is overrated")

So then they have about 3 pages devoted to breastfeeding information- with lots of great information and positive messages like (I'm paraphrasing) "You should nurse your baby often, breastmilk is such a perfect food babies digest it very quickly" The heading on the breastfeeding information pages is called "Choosing to breastfeed" ... but there is no mention of formula anywhere.

Then there is a little sidebar in the middle of the breastfeeding information- it says- "If your baby is unable to breastfeed" ...and at this point I'm waiting for that shoe to drop- oh here it is... here is our pitch for formula as equal or sufficient... boy was I surprised! It said to get a good quality electric rental pump if your baby is unable to breastfeed! and then had suggestions for keeping up your supply if you are pumping!

All I can say is WOW! I feel like I got a little glimpse into the future we are working for!

Love Sarah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 07-27-2005, 12:33 PM

That is awesome! I guess they figured out that encouraging mothers to BF will save them money in the long run! Does Humana cover a breastpump?
#3 of 10 Old 07-27-2005, 12:50 PM

Amazing!

#4 of 10 Old 07-27-2005, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamingfamily
That is awesome! I guess they figured out that encouraging mothers to BF will save them money in the long run! Does Humana cover a breastpump?
We have Humana through my husband’s employer (company of about 300-400). [OT, his insurance is better and cheaper than what is offered for our state employees (in the hundred thousands), which is my employer.] Our insurance does NOT cover a breastpump. I called 2 weeks ago and just called the general customer service number on the card. They told me Humana didn't not cover breastpumps or accessories whatsoever.

It was a really frustrating phone call.
#5 of 10 Old 07-27-2005, 09:01 PM

Humana generally sucks, but not this time!

I have a special program within Humana for birth and they did cover my breast pump. Too bad I can't pump hardly anything.
#6 of 10 Old 07-27-2005, 09:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
That's wonderful! What did the circ section say? Are they just as informed about that?
#7 of 10 Old 07-28-2005, 07:50 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
That sounds great!!! WTG Humana!!!

I guess they figure there's enough info out there about artificial breastmilk substitutes for those women who truly can't produce enough milk. Now they just need to put their money where their mouth is and cover breastpumps!

Ruth, single mommy to 3 quasi-adults
#8 of 10 Old 07-29-2005, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

Kathryn- The circ mention in the booklet didn't say much- it could have been a lot better.

Points made-
1. you will be offered the option to circumcise a baby boy
2. this can be done at the hospital
3. If you want to circumcise your baby you should talk to your doctor about circumcision.

I don't know if Humana covers circumcision- I'll ask soon. They sent me a book in the mail (same Beginnings program) the book is "Your Baby's First year week by week" by Glade Curtis MD and Judith Schuler MS ... they had AWFUL AWFUL info on care of an intact baby boy- I am going to write to Humana and the book's publisher - Lifelong Books of Perseus (it's a big seller book- I saw it at Meijer yesterday)

Quote:
If your son is not circumcised, gently pull back the foreskin of his penis each time you change his diapers. Using warm water and mild soap wash the area thoroughly.
Is that SHOCKING or what!?

Love Sarah
#9 of 10 Old 07-30-2005, 04:03 PM

Great news on the bfing info! Not so great on the intact penis info.

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#10 of 10 Old 09-14-2015, 08:55 PM

Easy Insurance Breast Pump Coverage

That is awesome! I was shocked too how much the insurance companies back up breastfeeding. I found out that my insurance company completely covered the cost of a pump. It was a bit confusing to figure it out but eventually I found InsuranceCoveredBreastPumps dot com and I filled out the form and they gave me a link to get the pump. I didn't have to pay anything - they billed insurance and shipped me the pump. So awesome! Saved like $200 from buying my own pump!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page