Funny breastfeeding cartoon - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-30-2005, 10:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hehehehe

Renae wife to J :, Mama to 4.5y/o J-bird and 2y/o A : and E coming in late Dec/Early Jan. My husband had a living donor kidney transplant! :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2005, 10:23 PM

Sorry, but for some reason I do not really find that funny. :
Old 07-30-2005, 10:46 PM

Me neither. I mean, I can see how it could be perceived as funny by those of us who have been through it, but I think it lends to the notion that I hear a lot "my baby got teeth so I had to quit nursing". I'd hate for a new mom, or a pregnant woman on the fence, to see that and think "uh oh, if they're going to bite I don't want to nurse".
Old 07-30-2005, 11:40 PM

I think it is funny. My daughter "talks" (she is 4 months old) all of the time when she nurses. We often laugh at her "talking with her mouth full".
Old 07-30-2005, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wende
Me neither. I mean, I can see how it could be perceived as funny by those of us who have been through it, but I think it lends to the notion that I hear a lot "my baby got teeth so I had to quit nursing". I'd hate for a new mom, or a pregnant woman on the fence, to see that and think "uh oh, if they're going to bite I don't want to nurse".
But, it's the truth. It does happen and sometimes it does hurt. In addition to encouraging mothers to start nursing, we should be honest about some of the things that are less than pleasant and ways to deal with it. I know a lady that quit at three months because her daughter bit her. Wouldn't it be better if someone told her that that happens and how to stop it? I know another lady that quit after a few days. She did not expect the intense pain that she experienced from engorgement and latching. She *admitted* that if someone had told her that happens and what to do about it that she could have made it. If only because she knew there was nothing wrong and there was an end in sight.
Old 07-30-2005, 11:46 PM

Give me a break. It is funny b/c it rings true. At least she is nursing.

Mom to Iris and Henry
Old 07-31-2005, 12:02 AM

That's actually adorable. That cartoonist is VERY pro-breastfeeding and has made quite a point to include several nursing situations to 'normalize' it for the mainstream people.

My toddler does this to me all the time, I have to tickle him to get him to stop! :LOL
Old 07-31-2005, 12:06 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Baby Blues cracks me up. The artist has always been pro-breastfeeding, and I have often had the same thoughts with my own babes,

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Old 07-31-2005, 12:20 AM
Banned

I think the cartoon is sweet! I mean yeah it's so funny b/c it is true. When I was in the ER telling the expectant mom about nursing and the older mom said that you quit nursing when they get teeth the expecting mom look horrifed and asked if the babies bit. I smiled and told her I nursed my oldest for over a year and he had a whole mouth full of teeth with out a problem. But I did honestly tell her yes I got bit once or twice, but that it is something they explore and once you let them know they can not bite mommy it isn't a big deal. I think if she chooses to nurse at least she'll be prepared for the possiblity and will know it won't last forever.
Old 07-31-2005, 12:48 AM

LOL....I think it's funny too! My son still "talks with his mouth full" when he's nursing...usually it leads to him spraying us both when he laughs though! :LOL

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
Old 07-31-2005, 12:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
yep, i can see both sides on this one...taken alone it could look like it is lending itself to the "had to stop when they got teeth" baloney, but baby blues IS very pro-BF-as-normal, so hopefully more mamas read it often and get that. or at least i could hope that only those of us familiar with the expience but PAST the biting stage are reading it and laughing....
that, however, would not be me right now....oooowwwww..... :LOL
Old 07-31-2005, 01:11 AM

I thought it was funny

nothing more to say I guess :
Old 07-31-2005, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannymom
Give me a break. It is funny b/c it rings true. At least she is nursing.
Give me a break, I don't have to find it funny. Lots of things ring true that I don't find humorous at all.

Like I said, it can be seen as funny to some. I can find the humor it in myself because I've been there. I'm still there some days. My mom never nursed me but did nurse my brother...until he got teeth and bit her. She has constantly told me over the years that she can't believe that I'd nurse once my kids got teeth. I was terrified of what would happen when my oldest got teeth because I had been told so many times that once she got teeth I'd get bitten. She got teeth, she bit. I quit nursing around the same time (not because of the biting), so I can see where hearing constantly that you're going to get bitten is not productive.

However, I can also say that I don't read the comics and so had no clue that this was a running theme (the breastfeeding) and so hopefully, those who do read it will see it as just a minor hurdle in the grand scheme of things and not see it as I originally did, just one more person talking about the negatives associated with breastfeeding.
Old 07-31-2005, 10:07 AM

It is very funny, and ditto to the author being VERY pro-breastfeeding. So much so she is often shown nursing the baby at times where it has nothing at all to do with the main joke presented. Baby Blues rocks.
Old 07-31-2005, 10:49 AM

The authors, two men I think, are the most pro bf cartoonists I've ever seen.

My favorite is the one where the nursing mom gets formula company coupons in the mail, puts them in the trash, and violently stomps on them (in the trash can.)

Her dh looks at her and says "Once a breastfeeder, always a breastfeeder, huh?"

Take the time to heal from your marriage before you move on with someone else. Make a list of all the qualities you would like in a new partner and then work on growing that way yourself. ~mandib50
Old 07-31-2005, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momtwice
My favorite is the one where the nursing mom gets formula company coupons in the mail, puts them in the trash, and violently stomps on them (in the trash can.)

I have that one on my fridge! Along with the one where the mom is telling Baby Wren, "Once you're weaned, my breastfeeding days will be over." Then the mom alternately smiles and then cries, and finally she tells the baby, "Obviously, I have mixed feelings on the subject."
Old 07-31-2005, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Heh, my fave one was from a while ago when the mom's (Wanda) friend is bf'ing her twins and Wanda says "Wow, I don't see how you do it!" and the friend says "Oh it's easy you just pull up your shirt and have at it...the hard part is trying not to mooo" or something like that

Renae wife to J :, Mama to 4.5y/o J-bird and 2y/o A : and E coming in late Dec/Early Jan. My husband had a living donor kidney transplant! :
Old 07-31-2005, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMama
Heh, my fave one was from a while ago when the mom's (Wanda) friend is bf'ing her twins and Wanda says "Wow, I don't see how you do it!" and the friend says "Oh it's easy you just pull up your shirt and have at it...the hard part is trying not to mooo" or something like that

:LOL

I am known to moo on occasion - not so often now that I dont pump anymore.

I am sorry I've misseed all these great comics, though!!

Wifey to Hubby, Mama to Boy (2004) and Girl (2009). 
Old 07-31-2005, 11:50 AM

I am always joing with ds about not talking with his mouth full!!!SO CUTE!

And, uh, if you find the cartoon offensive to new breastfeeding moms, don't show any you know.

I think it is too cute.Ds loves to babble at the breast....and devilishy try out his new teeth while peering up at me to see f I react...

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
Old 07-31-2005, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahogny
I have that one on my fridge! Along with the one where the mom is telling Baby Wren, "Once you're weaned, my breastfeeding days will be over." Then the mom alternately smiles and then cries, and finally she tells the baby, "Obviously, I have mixed feelings on the subject."
What date is that one?? I can SO relate to that! I LOVE LOVE LOVE Baby Blues!! It's on my Wish List for TiVo (did you know it was on TV for awhile??). We SO need to find a way to bring it back!

Baby Blues USED to be my homepage, but now I have a wierd browser (Konqueror) and I can't figure out how to change my homepage - can anyone help me?
Old 07-31-2005, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExuberantDaffodil
:LOL

I am known to moo on occasion - not so often now that I dont pump anymore.

I am sorry I've misseed all these great comics, though!!
The joys of the internet, you can read the strip almost from the beginning!
http://www.babyblues.com/archive/index.php

I have been saving my favorite ones.
Old 07-31-2005, 03:44 PM

This is really cute, and true!

If this will make a new mother stop nursing then she probably won't be nursing long anyways. I mean honestly. If a mom is going to stop nursing because she reads a cartoon, then the nursing relationship probably wasn't going to last anyways. Cynical I know.
Old 07-31-2005, 06:50 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momtwice
The authors, two men I think, are the most pro bf cartoonists I've ever seen.

Didn't she have the baby latched on for that entire comic strip too?

I that comic!!

I remember a really old one when her oldest was a preschooler and the middle one was an infant. She asked her dh if this new dress made her look maternal and he responded "No, I think it's the accessories" (the "accessories" being a nursing infant and a preschooler tugging on her skirt.)

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
Old 08-01-2005, 03:14 AM

The one on my fridge shows baby in the highchair eating O's and dad saying "wow, baby sure is eating a lot of solids -- he keeps that up and he'll be weaned soon!" The next frame shows the box of cereal in the garbage & mom nursing baby. :LOL
Old 08-01-2005, 03:25 PM

Those all sound adorable!

Quote:
But, it's the truth. It does happen and sometimes it does hurt. In addition to encouraging mothers to start nursing, we should be honest about some of the things that are less than pleasant and ways to deal with it. I know a lady that quit at three months because her daughter bit her. Wouldn't it be better if someone told her that that happens and how to stop it? I know another lady that quit after a few days. She did not expect the intense pain that she experienced from engorgement and latching. She *admitted* that if someone had told her that happens and what to do about it that she could have made it. If only because she knew there was nothing wrong and there was an end in sight.
yeah that!

This almost seems like looking for something to be upset by.

Amy: Certified Professional Midwife and mom to Max (11) and Stella (6).
Old 08-01-2005, 03:30 PM

Yes, you're right. I was just looking for something to be upset by :

I mean, god forbid someone have a differing opinion.
Old 08-01-2005, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wende
I mean, god forbid someone have a differing opinion.
Yes... like now... my opinion being different than yours.

Old 08-01-2005, 04:07 PM

Now THIS one cracked me up

lactating

Wifey to Hubby, Mama to Boy (2004) and Girl (2009). 
Old 08-01-2005, 04:08 PM

Lol!

Old 08-01-2005, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheena
Yes... like now... my opinion being different than yours.
I didn't disagree one bit with anyone who thought that the cartoon was funny. I didn't tell you that people were just looking for an arguement when they disagree'd and said that it was funny after I said that I didn't find it humorous. My beef was with your attitude that if I don't agree that it's funny, than I must be looking for something to be upset about and that's a ridiculous, and thoughtless thing to say.

User Tag List