boob job rant - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 09-03-2005, 02:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I cannot believe how many naturally minded people think that cosmetic surgery is a positive thing! Especially as a lactivist, I would imagine that the natural state of the breast would be seen as a beautiful thing. I really don't understand how breast implants can be considered beautiful by anyone. In fact, I believe that the prevailance of breast implants in magazines has given young men and women a completely unreal perception of what real breasts look like! My husband had a friend in college who thought that real breasts (prepregnancy young breasts) were "weird." It seems that he has been so conditioned to see breast implants as the norm.
Just my opinion, but I really feel that surgery should be reserved for situations of illness and I will never understand the allure of the boob job.

Thanks to Sarah for her well articulated explanation of the societal implications of breast augmentation.

homebirthing organic mama to three crazy boys very blessed!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 09-03-2005, 02:28 AM

I've never actually considered cosmetic surgery, but I used to long for bigger boobs. (I probably would have considered it if they were somehow healthy, inexpensive, and did not involve a foreign object in my body.) This was back in my 20's.

Now I am 34 years old and have been breastfeeding for a year. I have been amazed that my B-cup breasts have blossomed into D-cups!

Thank goodness for my natural boob-job!

My mom joked to her friend who asked if I was still breastfeeding that she thinks I am going to delay weaning so I can enjoy my new boobs as long as possible.

I hope I get to keep them....

Mommy to DS Adrian 8/10/04 and DD Geneva 9/02/09
#3 of 13 Old 09-03-2005, 02:51 AM - Thread Starter

I guess I should also mention that I have never had small breasts, so I probably can't understand the social pressure to have fuller breasts. I do think, however, that there are no such thing as socially acceptable breasts. Big breasted women often feel "fat" in clothes and small breasted women often feel like they need bigger breasts. I really believe that women feel anxiety about their breasts because we live in such an anti-breastfeeding culture. If breasts weren't seen almost exclusively as sex objects - maybe breastfeeding in public wouldn't be seen as a lewd act. Conversly, maybe lactating breasts would be seen as sensual and perfect. This is obviously a complex issue.

#4 of 13 Old 09-03-2005, 03:00 AM

I mentioned this in another thread, breast implants are ridiculous for so many reasons, but the one that should impress even the most narcissistic of women is that they have to be replaced every ten years. Every ten years, you would have to get elective surgery, and pay for new breasts. And say you can only afford to just get the old ones out, before they rot inside your body, ever seen breasts after getting implants out? They are just flaps of skin after that.
It's just a weird thing to do. Admittedly, I have large breasts, but they sure don't look like augmented breasts, lol.
#5 of 13 Old 09-03-2005, 03:27 AM - Thread Starter

Actually, my sister is getting implants :Puke and her surgeon said that they would have to be "adjusted" every five years! I am so disturbed by this issue.

#6 of 13 Old 09-03-2005, 04:18 AM

Five years, jeez. Who wants to have their breasts sliced open every five years?
What I find really scary about it is what if you're dead broke when those suckers need to be replaced? How can someone know for sure that she'll have money to do whatever needs to be done to those things. It's a life long commitment. So every five years, if she's say, 30, that'd be at least six surgeries. Probably more as women still go strong at 60. That is so creepy.
#7 of 13 Old 09-03-2005, 10:51 AM

This society (North American, but especially US society I feel) has done a bang-up job of instilling in women -- holisitically minded women no exception as we see on these boards -- that breasts need to be a certain way... and that the real natural ones you have probably don't cut it. I personally do not get the rationale either.

I've heard some women say that getting a boob job (of any sort) would help them feel better about themselves. Well, I feel if someone has self-esteem issues about their breasts, may be instead of changing their breasts, they need to change their _attitude_ toward their natural breasts.

(while most people around the world are wondering where their next meal is coming from, we north americans are wondering if our boobs look good enough.)
#8 of 13 Old 09-03-2005, 11:00 AM
Banned

Ok, first off I take offence to your generalizations here. You can be a lactivist/advocate and also be for woman's choices. Which is what most of us who were discussing this issue maturely were meaning.

Second, it was more about a woman's feelings about herself than changing her body. So what of she chooses to do so, it is HER body. Isn't that what this place is ideally all about? Informed educated choice.

There is no law that says because we breastfeed/advocate that we have to be in love with every aspect of our bodies. That is just not reality. Lucky you to be perfect in love with your body. Many are not, and it is their choice how to make themselves feel good about their bodies and self. There is no right or wrong and should be no judgement.

Most as I recall were discussing LIFTS not IMPLANTS. There IS a difference. I doubt adding a judgement such as yours, that natural mamas should just go with it and deal regardless of their inner happiness or lack thereof will help any.

I've never been small chested either, but I have been perky, and I am not impressed with having heavier-set low hanging breasts. No, I won't do surgery, but I'll be damned if I have to come here and defend my feelings just to prove my worth as a natural mama/lactivist or to appease people.
#9 of 13 Old 09-03-2005, 01:10 PM

I consider myself to be a fairly naturally minded woman. That said, I am planning on having a reduction and lift after we are done with the breastfeeding stage. For some, like myself, there are issues with having larger breasts - back pain for one. Please remember that there are valid reasons to have "cosmetic" surgery besides illness.

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

Tout va s'arranger à la fin. Si elle ne fonctionne pas; ce n'est pas la fin.

#10 of 13 Old 09-03-2005, 02:01 PM

Is the issue at hand lifts/reductions, or implants? While I think implants are nasty, lifts/reductions are something different. I know a lot of women who've had reductions and every single one of them is thrilled with the results. Who wants to carry around sand bags every minute of every day? And cry trying on bras? And special order said bras for mucho bucks? After having my son my breasts got insanely large, and I promised myself if they stayed that way the suckers were coming off. They did level off but still they're too big. And a lift? I will probably never have the money for one, but if I won the lottery, it'd be a reduction and lift all the way. Not to conform to any kind of societal pressure for perfection, but to be freaking comfortable without a bra. To wear a tank top without looking skanky. Bras are torture devices, imo. I have a fantasy of waking up and throwing on a shirt without a bra and going to my car, and in my fantasy my breasts are so small that I can go about my day braless, without any men looking at them, without them swinging around like shotputs, without sweat building up under them. Aaah. It is one of my favorite fantasies.

Implants, however, I know several women who got them, and every one of them wish they wouldn't have. And now that the implant has stretched out the skin on top of the implant, if they take them out their breasts will be flaps of skin. What a scam.
#11 of 13 Old 09-03-2005, 08:55 PM

I've cried trying on bra's. I've cried trying on dresses. I have small (when I'm not nursing) breasts. They went from a beautiful B/C to a flat, saggy A. If it's perfectly acceptable for a woman to decide to lose weight simply to feel better about herself, then why is it not ok for me to get implants to feel better about myself? I can't buy dresses that fit me anymore because if I find one that fits my hips they don't fit my chest. If it fits my chest it won't fit my hips. I sink in my bra's. I'm sorry, but you can feel however you want about your body. Love your small, saggy breasts? Fantastic. Don't change them. I, however, hate mine and will change them when I'm finished nursing my children.
#12 of 13 Old 09-03-2005, 09:11 PM

I am still recovering from my shock experienced in a Target Store today... I was hoping to get my daughter some outfits for her 3rd birthday... and I had to pass up even looking at about 9 out of 10 fashions because they seemed IMHO to be to slutty and provacative for a 3T person to be wearing. Actually it has happened to me before- but I found myself unconciously drawn to the school uniform section simply by the process of ellimination... stinding in front of a rack of shirts that had sleeves AND stomachs thinking... "oh- these shirts are cut nice- I wonder why they don't have them in Pink or yellow" and then realizing that I was looking at the uniforms... EGAD... so it seems I have a choice of dressing my daughter like a Brownie or a "Bratz"

Anyway... the one thing that I love to buy at target that are very hard to find at other stores are thick girls winter cotton tights... while I was there I also picked out a pack of My Little Pony panties and then tuned the corner to find the wonderbra section... only "huh... what's this? These wonderbras are all kind of small...OMG-these are the TRAINING bras!!" There were a FEW garments which were like short camisols or athletic bras... but 90% of the rest were all MOLDED CUP padded bras! No wonder I've been thinking that the little girls were hitting their spurt early- here I thought it had something to do with BGH in the milk they drink.

Anyway- I just went over to Target.com to see if I could find the bras in question- and I couldn't... but I did find this very similar style- modeled by a person who seems distinctly masculine to be modeling a piece of women's intimate apparel... no offense to her- but... if it weren't for the bra as a gender identifier... it's just more images of something that most women don't look like for us to absorb.
http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...sin=B000AY3B4S
#13 of 13 Old 09-03-2005, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wende
I've cried trying on bra's. I've cried trying on dresses. I have small (when I'm not nursing) breasts. They went from a beautiful B/C to a flat, saggy A. If it's perfectly acceptable for a woman to decide to lose weight simply to feel better about herself, then why is it not ok for me to get implants to feel better about myself? I can't buy dresses that fit me anymore because if I find one that fits my hips they don't fit my chest. If it fits my chest it won't fit my hips. I sink in my bra's. I'm sorry, but you can feel however you want about your body. Love your small, saggy breasts? Fantastic. Don't change them. I, however, hate mine and will change them when I'm finished nursing my children.
Yes, I suppose you're right. It's not proper to judge people, and being a woman is hard enough without other women being all over you for your choices. Implants do tend to make men think natural breasts are weird, but who really gives a crap what men think anyway? Maybe I wouldn't be so anti implants if I was an A cup, it's hard to imagine yourself in other peoples shoes (breasts). Just do be aware that they are a life long commitment, a doctor that tells you otherwise is unscrupulous. BTW, I only have ever met one woman in my entire life who loves her body. She thinks she is the bomb, and isn't annoying about it, she just really thinks she looks great. No body hangups at all. And no, she's not close to a Playboy bunny or whatever. What a way to feel.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page