Writing a Letter - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-21-2005, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I want to write to my local rep regarding the NIP law that is currently up for debate in my state (PA). Anyway I want some good reasons/facts to put in there! Anyone have anything they think is a particularly good argument for someone who may be anti-NIP?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2005, 12:00 PM

Melissa- Although PA does not have a law- Philly DOES... the Philly code wording uses the word SEGREGATION which I think is mightily powerful to express what any society would be doing which required women to nurse in any way other than freely in public.

I think that you don't need to argue the whole case for them... you just need to get a letter out there that gets you counted as a person who bothered to write a letter supportive of the subject. If you use wording that alrteady legally exists in the state- I think that they will all know what you are talking about and it will put them on the spot to follow through.

Love Sarah
Old 09-21-2005, 12:28 PM

I agree, Philly has set a strong precedent and I think encouraging the state to follow by adopting it as well is a good angle to take. The Philadelphia ordinance:

Pennsylvania: City of Philadelphia City Ordinance 9-1105
City Ordinance 1996 Amends Section 9-1105 of the Fair Practices Code
entitled "Unlawful Public Accommodations Practice" to prohibit a breastfeeding mother from or segregate a breastfeeding mother within any public accommodation where she would otherwise be authorized to be irrespective of whether or not the nipple of the mother's breast is covered during or incidental to breastfeeding.

User Tag List