The apparently "NEW" way to feed babies! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-25-2002, 11:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, that is sad for all the babies that already don't get held enough...
My little guy is so busy, I miss those 30 minutes we could just sit and relax and take a breather...even in the mall when I was shopping!!

Although...I would have to say that I would be interested when I am in the car (with dh driving) and there is no where to stop and my boobs are about to pop...I could see myself appreciating the contraption then...

Poor babies with no hugs

Oils
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2002, 02:59 PM

I just want to assert my opinion on why and how women have come so far detatched from their children. It's possibly our poor poor body image issues, our sense of our own unique nurturing women power, coupled with the societal pressures we have been taught to believe that doing and getting things accomplished is the prime goal in life. I say "we" because it surely has affected us all but somehow the "we" that is here on-line has a connection to their woman-power and a healthy enough sense of their being to give so wonderfully to their children. Bravo to us Non-Proppers.
Laura
Old 12-27-2002, 06:03 PM

Quote:
I also prop feed. I prop my breast in DS’s mouth and I go back to sleep
I do the same thing

I cannot believe that people would use a contraption like that (well, I guess I can believe it). How freakin' lazy can you get. I am disgusted and will say so if I ever see someone using one.
Old 12-28-2002, 01:26 PM

From the Podee website:
Quote:
When you are overwhelmed by day-to-day tasks, the traditional Podee Hands-Free Baby Feeding System will provide you a welcome helping hand. So even when you are busy cooking dinner, strolling in the park, or driving to the supermarket, the Podee will feed your baby while you're doing your chores.
BUSY STROLLING IN THE PARK?? I didn't realize that there is a problem with parents being too overwhelmed by strolling in the park that they can't stop to feed their babies.

This just makes me sad. I will agree with what some others have said about using this for multiples and MAYBE in the car but is it even safe to do that? Unless you are sitting right next to the baby I would think that it could be a bit dangerous to have the baby feed himself and not be able to sit up if he gets too much at one time and starts coughing.

I don't understand why feeding your child is considered a "chore". My baby and I each enjoy the closeness of nursing and he has become quite the cuddler even when he's not eating. There is nothing that makes me happier than when he crawls up to me and lays on me or gives me a slobbery kiss and just lets me hug him. I don't know if he'd be so cuddly if he hadn't been nursed for the last 10½ months.

Yeah, it sure does suck to have to spend all that bonding time with your child...
Old 12-29-2002, 02:01 AM

This new gadget sounds like a recipe for overfeeding! What is to keep the kid from suck, suck, sucking away on the "pacifier" part while the mom keeps refiling it?

Quote:
Originally posted by kater07
She was astounded that I didn't have a bottle prop, which I guess was used way back when, so I wouldn't have to hold the bottle for him.
On a similar note, I was horrified to see in one parenting mag. a "stuffed toy" gizmo that was actually a bottle prop! They were showing a mom holding the babe while using the thing to have "one hand free", but you know that is not how people will use it. Yuck.
Old 12-31-2002, 06:33 PM

so sad for babies. too much technology isn't always a good thing.
Leslie in MD (presently holding my precious 2 month old)
Old 12-31-2002, 07:50 PM

those things would be fantastic in a car!
my son use to scream when he was in the car and that would have been priceless.
otherwise, it is weird.

i saw one the other day, they do look like a feeding tube!
Old 01-02-2003, 04:37 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I saw these advertised when dd #1 was a baby. I thought they looked dangerous as a strangulation hazard and as a hygene hazard (It would be very hard to get these clean i would think.) It amazes me how little peole will touch thier babies. If I didn't hold mine while I was feeding them and they fell asleep on thier own then would I hold them?

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

Old 01-02-2003, 10:44 PM

Do you really think that using this contraption would be beneficial to all involved if we took advantage of them in the car??? When babies are young enough to be having a hard time in the carseat(mine did in the early months) and you're using your time carefully and/or feeding the child while in the store or wherever or just before you leave the parking lot, then why the necessity to feed in order to pacify. personnally, thats what pacifiers are for. sure some dont like pacifiers, and to this I say "ok." However, using some creative approches such as singing, whistling, pictures, mirrors, music----cant these be considered? and when these dont work -nothing worked for my dd for months, I know- then we just live with it and let them figure it out I guess. I found I couldnt drive any near-significant distance after 5:00 for dd's first year. sure, it was hard but we got through it.
Laura
Old 01-05-2003, 04:17 PM

It is bad enough that some moms won't even try to breastfeed because they think it is gross, or they just don't want to (like my own mom). And then there are the unfortunate people that cannot because of medical reasons, etc...
But in a culture that is way too deep into synthetic replacements for natural things, this is just too far. I think that some moron just wanted to make money off of lazy parents. The point of parenting is to give love to a child, not to make a person so they raise themselves. The world is detatched enough from one another....this culture is perverse enough to think of a woman's breast as sexual when it is obviously made to produce milk for a baby. Now they are sending the message that it is ok to allow a newborn baby to take care of themselves. Choking hazard!! What if a baby is choking, and the lazy mom has left the room with a baby too young to help itself?
I also had to laugh at the hamster bottle comment...I agree totally.
Old 02-20-2003, 05:55 PM

Convenience is *everything* in this stupid culture.

-Alice, SAHM to dd (2001) and ds (2004) each of whom was a homebirth.jpg, who each self-weaned at 4.5 years bfolderchild.gif, who both fambedsingle2.gif'd, who were bothcd.gif, and both: novaxnocirc.gif.   Also, gd.gif, and goorganic.jpg!

Old 02-24-2003, 03:19 AM

Scroll down on the Podee site and see:

PODEE GIVE-ME-A-HUG BOTTLE INSULATOR

Italics mine. I am speechless.

Pam
Old 02-24-2003, 06:37 PM

Originally posted by gurumama:
Quote:
What's next--a mechanical hand to pat the baby's back when they wake up in the middle of the night (in their crib, in their own room), with a voice recording mechanism of the mother saying, "Shhh, it's ok, go back to sleep"?
Well, there are bouncy seats that are voice activated, so when the baby cries they vibrate and play music...and there are two-way baby monitors so you can "soothe your baby without having to come into the room!" What marvelous inventions. :

Did anyone who linked to the Podee site notice that they said you could use this horrible contraption in a SWING? Oh, that's great, feed a baby while he's swinging back and forth. : And I just love how some of these sites make it sound like it's for freeing ONE hand while you hold the baby with the other. You know that is not how most people would use these. The only thing I can see is simultaneously feeding twins, maybe, and honestly, I have a friend with adopted twins and he feeds them both at the same time by sitting on his bed with each baby cradled in a boppy.

And I disagree with those who say this would be useful in a car. I don't think babies should be drinking/eating in a car if they are alone in the backseat. Too dangerous. I know that older ff babies get handed bottles in the car all the time, and I never understood this. I mean, I breastfed, so it was never an option to feed dd in the car when it was moving anyway. We just listened to a lot of music to keep her happy (and nursed BEFORE we got in the car!).
Old 02-24-2003, 08:22 PM

Juice used to be the only thing that would keep my dd from screaming the whole time in the car. Music didn't help. BF right before getting in the car didn't help. There was almost always someone in the backseat with her - usually my dp.

-Alice, SAHM to dd (2001) and ds (2004) each of whom was a homebirth.jpg, who each self-weaned at 4.5 years bfolderchild.gif, who both fambedsingle2.gif'd, who were bothcd.gif, and both: novaxnocirc.gif.   Also, gd.gif, and goorganic.jpg!

Old 02-25-2003, 01:40 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I was at the mall of a,eric and saw these bottle insulators that looked like stuffed animals so that your baby would have something to snuggle while he ate. I had dd with me (3 weeks old) and the lady said "hey , just what you need" "No actually I have no need for that". I found it amusing though that you had to stick the bottle up the dolls butt.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

Old 02-26-2003, 01:04 AM

Ilyka, that contraption sounds so sad. It reminded me of the psychology experiment with the monkeys years ago, where they gave baby monkeys a wire mama-sized monkey or a soft, fuzzy-covered wire mama monkey, and they chose the soft one, of course.

so now we're covering our bottles with soft, fuzy things? cuddle your bottle?

I gave bottles to my first son (who is now 4) when we drove. He held his own bottle at around 6-7 months (though we always held him when he had a bottle--never propped). My second son is nearly 11 mo and he doesn't hold the bottle (he gets two a day for supplementing my breast reduction). He outright REFUSES. So he gets more cuddles! Good for him...
Old 02-28-2003, 01:27 PM

Someone mentioned at the top of this thread that it's easier to bottle wean a baby who has been fed in someone's lap. I read this once in a book, too and I thought it was fascinating. The author's opinion was that a child can't walk around with a breast and have milk whenever he wants so when he weans it is easier. While the bottle-toting child gets attached to the bottle and it's harder to take it away.
I read this in an older child nutrition book as I was weeding the collection at the library where I once worked. I read that part out loud to my co-worker (who at the time had no children) and we recalled all of the toddlers we had seen coming into the library sucking away on a bottle. It's pervasive in this society.
Plus with this tube thing, how long would you use that? I mean do you use it when they are a newborn and then switch them to a regular bottle when they can sit up? I picture all these toddlers who have become so attached to their paci-bottles that someone invents a fanny-pack so they can carry around their beverage and keep sucking on the paci-straw as they go about their business.
Sick.

---Amy
mom to 2 non beverage hauling boys
Old 03-05-2003, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by pjlioness
Scroll down on the Podee site and see:

PODEE GIVE-ME-A-HUG BOTTLE INSULATOR

This was one of the first things I noticed and was surprised it hadn't been mentioned until now.

I thought it was horribly ironic that a product that keeps you from holding/hugging your child would have a bottle insulator with that name. Terrible!

Mom to 10yo Autistic Wonder Boy and 6yo Inquisitive Fireball Girl . December birthdays.

Old 03-05-2003, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Devrock
Convenience is *everything* in this stupid culture.
It's very sad.

It's such a parent-oriented society that we are in and the children are suffering. What ever happened to putting your child's needs first? Needs also being holding, cuddling and embracing every opportunity....and what better opportunity than during feeding? So sad.
Old 03-07-2003, 04:08 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by bebesho2
BTW, when I was small I was taught to prop bottles on blankets when I babysat my cousins... Scary.
I will admit to propping at times, when I had to babysit my nieces and nephews. When I was about 12, I felt like I had to give bottles all the time to my infant niece who lived with us, and frankly, I detested it. I guess her mom didn't like it much either since she had me do it a lot. Then my younger sis had a lot of kids, and she was always too tired to even wake up at night. She propped, and there were times I propped if I was babysitting two or more of them.

Dislike of bottlefeeding was one of the reasons I wanted to breastfeed so much.

I have talked to bottlefeeding moms who have made it very clear that they hold their babies and bond with them while giving the bottles, so I know that not everyone is a propper.

Yesterday in the dentist's office, I saw a little baby holding her own bottle in a carseat on the floor. She honestly didn't look any older than 6 months old to me. My daughter thought that was great, for some reason, and she keeps talking about how when her new baby sibling is born, the baby will have bottles. I keep telling her that she drank from my breasts and the new baby will too. It bugs me that she is so fascinated by bottles that she even calls them by the name she uses for nursing.
Old 03-07-2003, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Amywillo
I saw a little baby holding her own bottle in a carseat on the floor. She honestly didn't look any older than 6 months old to me.
My MIL *brags* to me all the time that when DH was barely 5 months old, he was holding his own bottle. In the same story, she'll tell me how he had such bad ear aches until he was 2 years old. Go figure.

According to her I'm STILL bfing; my son is only 9 months old. A mentality I'll never understand. Like he's supposed to be an adult at 9 months old??? He's a baby!!! I just remind her that it's recommended to BF until one year of age and toddler initiated weaning after, and that's what I plan on doing.

I've always wanted to ask her if I should offer him a steak instead of the breast at his OLD age, maybe with a snifter of Grand Marnier and a cigar. :
Old 03-07-2003, 01:05 PM

I took my baby to the park when she was seven months old. A little girl came up to us and asked where my baby's bottle was. I said she didn't have a bottle - she's breastfed. The little girl said, "At HER age? I don't believe it!"

When my nephew was 3 months old, I gave him an organic cotton bunny. My brother used it to prop his bottle. He called it "the bottle bunny - this thing is great." I wanted to throw up.

Old 03-07-2003, 07:57 PM

Oh, man, I would have taken the bunny back. That's terrible!
Old 03-08-2003, 02:33 AM

QUOTE]that contraption sounds so sad. It reminded me of the psychology experiment with the monkeys years ago, where they gave baby monkeys a wire mama-sized monkey or a soft, fuzzy-covered wire mama monkey, and they chose the soft one, of course.[/QUOTE]

Oh my gosh -- I can't tell you how many times various contraptions for babies make me think of this! This feeding tube just upsets me. I, too feel so sad when I think of these babies not be held. I mean, it's one thing if the parent has a need (i.e. disability) that would necessitate the use of such a thing, but so many will use it just because it's convient. I (and dh) get so irritated with people who think children should be convient -- cause it so much more fun when they aren't.

I am so thankful that I chose to breastfeed -- I love snuggling with ds and getting those silly smiles and laughs and the occasional breastmilk spit take!

User Tag List