BreastFeeding Challenge - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-02-2005, 03:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Who went today? How was the turn-out in your city? Was media there?

Tell me all about it!

We're in Victoria, BC, which happens to have had the highest turnout for the past 3 years running (I'm pretty sure, but someone correct me if I'm mistaken).

Lots of moms, babies, toddlers, and children too - it was fantastic! I posted a note about it in my regional Tribal Area thread, but just in case anyone from Victoria, BC happens to read this and isn't reading that thread, I was the mama wearing the black "LACTIVIST INTACTIVIST" T-shirt.

Looking forward to hearing about the other cities!

-Kira
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2005, 05:51 AM

It was fun!

There were 25 nurslings latched at 11AM @ the Langley (BC) Health Unit.
WE ROCKED!!
The local paper came and took pics, we'll see what kind of article gets done.

CHECK OUT THE STATS AT www.babyfriendly.ca

BC kicked but in MANY of the categories - big pats on the back to all the breastfeeding mamas out there that came out to the Challenge!! (But even the one's that didn't make it YOU ROCK too !! DON'TYOU FORGET IT! )
Old 10-02-2005, 11:01 AM

We has 11 nurslings latch-on in London ON. I had hoped 12 but 11 is pretty close (my DD refused to tandem too :LOL ). It was still wonderful to see moms out there, though none of them were new faces (I've seen them all at LLL meetings).

So anyone willing to share ideas of how to better sell the QBC? I know the receptiveness of the society you're in matters a lot, but how do we attract the more mainstream moms?

The only thing I can think of is earlier and better advertising. Where did everyone else advertise their event?

Any other ideas to draw in the reluctant?
(I think many people don't get the point of the QBC, that it's not so much about the numbers but instead the solidarity. The "competition" does add another dimension of fun to it though).
Old 10-02-2005, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

The only reason I know about it is due to being on the Internet a fair bit. I don't go to LLL meetings, so I'd never have known otherwise.

I think a bigger and earlier advertising for it should happen. I know that costs money, but we could solicit local retailers for their support in terms of donations (from a print shop for flyers, from the local baby gear shop in terms of prizes, etc.) and also call ALL the media (all local tv and radio stations) and invite them to cover the event.

I'm a Graphic Designer and would be more than happy to donate my time to putting together a flyer or banner or poster for next year's event.

-Kira
Old 10-02-2005, 03:14 PM

what was this?

l, <>< wife to my sweetie, proud mama to 3 cubs, 2 who clw & 1 that i i ep for . baby was evicted early by induction due to severe pre-e/hellp syndrome
Old 10-02-2005, 03:36 PM

Last year, I only found out about it after the fact. This time, I spotted a post here, and attended.

I was in North Vancouver, BC. There were 48 moms - two tandems, does that count as 48 or 50? But, they were also waiting for the count from the local hospital's maternity ward, so I don't know the final numbers.

That was my first year, but I'll be back next year. There was such a cross-spectrum of moms...crunchy types, not-so-crunchy types, and a fair number of extremely NOT crunchy types. It was kind of cool. And, I was shocked...I won a door prize. I didn't even realize they had door prizes.

My little guy was funny. Normally, he latches as soon as he's close enough to the nipple. At the challenge, he nuzzled and licked and generally goofed off while they were counting down...and closed on my nipple at the exact moment the countdown reached "latch".

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Old 10-02-2005, 04:04 PM

Lisa, could yo tell me about the QBC at the hospital maternity ward? I'd like that to happen here in London (huge center for child hospitals) but have no idea how to go about it. I'm on our county BF committee so that should help, but convincing them to do this in one or more hospitals might be near impossible.

Could you please try to find out the contact number and/or email (prefered) of the organizer so I can find out what it takes.

Thanks
Old 10-02-2005, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2tig99Nroo03
what was this?

http://www.babyfriendly.ca/challenge...invitation.php
Old 10-02-2005, 10:36 PM

I'll try to do that, Siana. Maybe I could just give you the contact info for the local Challenge co-ordinator? She probably knows what they did to organize it...

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Old 10-03-2005, 12:18 AM

Thanks Lisa. That should do I'll just pull that off the QBC site.
Old 10-03-2005, 01:11 AM

I actually already emailed her to see if you should talk to her or if there's another contact she could recommend.

Old 10-03-2005, 05:07 PM

thanks for the link, sounds pretty neat!

i had never heard of it before.

l, <>< wife to my sweetie, proud mama to 3 cubs, 2 who clw & 1 that i i ep for . baby was evicted early by induction due to severe pre-e/hellp syndrome
Old 10-03-2005, 05:55 PM

I was there in Toronto! Our results are posted yet but I heard there were 74 mamas nursing 77 babies. One of the organizers is a Chinese LC, and brought the Asian community & media out in force. Dr. Jack Newman spoke as well. It was nicely organized this year and a lot of fun for both DD and I.

DD was definately the oldest nursling there. I was shocked to hear from a coworker that our picture was in a local free daily today about the event. When they were snapping our picture, I figured there was no waaaay they would run a pic of a preschooler nursing, opting for a super cute baby or maybe one of the 2 sets of twins instead. I'm so proud!

User Tag List