No longer allowed to nurse son at daycare during pick-up (in front of other children) - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 175 Old 11-04-2005, 11:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janice in Canada
Okay, I didn't read everything in detail, but I've got the gist.

1.) you are doing nothing wrong, and you don't need permission to do it. Don't be asking for permission, from the daycare provider, or the other parents. you won't get it.

2.) If I were you, I'd just continue bfing at pick-up, the way you were before your complaint. As far as the other parents seeing you, too bad. they could pull their kids. They cannot hurt you or your kids. They have no power over you. I wouldn't waste my time trying to educate them. Its not your job to try to convince them that breastfeeding is best, they obviously have made their decisions, and are close minded. Especially if they have not approached you directly.

Why are you worried about your old provider so much? She is a professional, running a business. I assume there are sometimes other conflicts between parents, that she has to work through. She needs to grow up and figure out a solution that works for all parties. Unless she has a policy that says you can't linger while picking up your kid (ie you just get them and get out of the door), what you do with your child is none of her business.

You say you don't want to hurt your provider, because she treated your child so well? Is denying your child to breastfeed, because of the feelings of other adults, treating your child well? If you are leaving soon, don't worry about her. And if you are worrying that her care of your child will decrease if you don't do what she asks, then she is not very responsible or professional, and you should leave sooner.

Is she threatening to kick you out of her daycare if you don't stop? What is her leverage over you? If she is simply *asking* you, then then is a time for you to not worry about being "nice", but to stand up for your child's rights, and for every child's rights. If you think she will kick you out, then sometimes you need to let things play out to the end - then you will have a case.

Maybe I am missing something here, but I can't see why you don't just keep nursing in the manner that you have, while you are still there - and who cares what the others think???? They really have no power to force you to change your behavior.

Janice

well said Janice, this is exactly what I was thinking!

I was SO AnGRY when I read this...I would not stop feeding my child because other parents are uncomfortable, NO WAY. I would keep doing what you have been doing and tell the dc provider that she can defer the parents to you, this will take the heat off of her.

I applaud your efforts so far but I do think you must take a stand and continue breastfeeding your child, do not let these people control you nourishing your dc! I live in Ann Arbor and would GLADLY join you for a nurse in or anything else you need help with. I am appalled by this and I am appalled by the "no breastfeeding policy' that your DCP has implemented.

Please, please, please continue breastfeeding as you have been...Royal Oak is as mainstream as they come, don't let them stop you from what you have the right to do...feed your child.

Please PM me if there is anything I can do!!!This is going to keep me up tonight thinking about it
#62 of 175 Old 11-05-2005, 12:32 AM

OP -- I've been following your story and I want to send positive thoughts of support. I grew up in Berkley, MI and my DH and I are headed back there this summer.

Keep fighting ignorance!

Blessings,

Katherine
#63 of 175 Old 11-05-2005, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smirlynwittles
Ok, here is the contact info for the guy she called (checked her license online):

William H. Puumala, Licensing Consultant
Office of Children and Adult Licensing
41000 Woodward, Suite 358
Bloomfield Hills, MI 48304
(248)975-5065

For now, I'd be up for a letter writing campaign but would like some more specific legal ammo to fire at this guy.
Start by asking him to clarify the advice he gave the daycare provider. It's quite possible that he told her that as a business in a private home, she had the right to set her own policies.
#64 of 175 Old 11-05-2005, 12:59 AM

Day care providers are business owners. Your child's care provider may have been supportive in the past, but now, at best she is a doormat. Beyond any laws and licensing requirements, she is the one who makes the policies for her business. She is the one who had the opportunity to negociate the conflict with the other parents and failed-maybe she didn't even try. She is hiding behind the idea that there is nothing that protects you - -she has the opportunity to protect your rights and your baby's --its her house! Once again, she is a doormat. Can you tell I'm not in the mood to deal with weak people....

Since you only have a small bit of time before your little one starts the new school, I would just inform her that she can tell the other parents you will be leaving in December, so they won't need to deal with the situation much longer. After you and the kid are finished there, i would do a media campaign: letters to the editor, etc., Make folks aware that you were discriminated against by the caregiver (remember, she made a business decision to deal with it this way, and a poor one at that.) If she is a licensed caregiver, I would find out the recommendations of the licensing body--what do they recommend about what happens within a house? That may be very different from what MI law does or doesn't prohibit/permit. They may be able to help mediate.

Also, at this point you only have her word for it that the parents had issues or that the county folks said what she claimed. As other posters have stated, it may make sense to check in with them--be a bit earlier or later when picking up your little one and take the opportunity to try to talk with one or more of them.

Good luck!!!!
#65 of 175 Old 11-05-2005, 01:39 AM

Ugh, sorry you're having to go through with this. It was while at my little brother's daycare that I first saw a woman bf'ing her baby, and she got me started on the path to education. Personally, if someone compared me feeding my child to opening my legs, I would have a hard time not slapping them! My goodness, what an awful thing to be accused of. I would have mentioned that while the laws in Michigan are not very clear, they do specifically state that breastfeeding is not considered public nudity (therefore, it is not the same as spreading your legs).

You have signed no agreement stating you'll hide in another room to nurse your son, so I wouldn't. I also like the idea of sending your baby to daycare with some cute lactivist shirts!! Let her and the other parents know this issue is important to you.
#66 of 175 Old 11-05-2005, 02:07 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I do not know which catagory: business or private home, would apply in this situation as far as the law, if Michigan's law even includes that or is a simple "breastfeeding is not stripping" clarification for utter idiots.

My inclination is that while children are present, it's a business and as such you have a right to nurse your child there as you and she have a contract whereby she watches your child. After hours, it's her fully private home.

OTOH, as a private business, she has the right to make any stupid policies she pleases, and you have the right to vote against them by taking your $$$, As Well As Your Recommendations, elsewhere.

"What will you do once you know?"
#67 of 175 Old 11-05-2005, 03:12 AM - Thread Starter

Oh I so can't sleep!!!!

I've lined up daycare for the Fridays in Dec. Maybe I should just call her back and pull Gabe out immediately. It just kills me to go over there.

The current daycare lady won't discuss the situation with me at all in front of other parents or workers (or the kids). She has specifically said she doesn't want to discuss it in front of the parents and she doesn't want to reveal names.

Lactation t-shirts would be cute, but I'm sure she try to cover him up. Plus it is better to keep my son out of the fire...

One of her assistants suggested that I write a letter to all the parents telling them to bring their issues directly to me. However, they have barely said a word to me in the past year. I could keep bfing him there, but it would just fuel the fire and I really want him out of the hostility.

Maybe I should tell my daycare provider that I need it in writing that I am not allowed to bf in front of the kids.... Or is my letter sent to Counselwoman Maloney and Marie Donigan enough proof of the situation??

This just kills me... I've had a hard time adjusting to MI in the first place. The few established friends I had here just moved recently. And I got harrassed at work for bfing and being a mother.

I am finally at a new job, which is much better with a shorter commute, no travel, and a very diverse environment.

I'm whining... but things were just starting to settle down and now this crap....

I really should sleep...
#68 of 175 Old 11-05-2005, 03:22 AM

Boy, I am just SO sorry you are going through this. I am such an activist, but I don't see any way to "win" this one. It's such a small environment, and the legal ground is so gray, and it just seems like she's completely given up. I mean, why is she going SO far out of her way to protect the people who are harrassing you? While letting you be attacked all out in the open, with no one to defend you? It sounds like you have supportive people in the government, she just managed NOT to ask them...

I don't know what to tell you eexcept I am proud of you for putting your son's interests first and foremost, even ahead of the "cause", KWIM...
#69 of 175 Old 11-05-2005, 03:39 AM

First off, hugs mama.

Have you considered that your daycare provider has someone else who needs your son's spot in her home sooner rather than later? And this is her way to force you out?

This happened to my sister's twins, not over BFing, but another issue that just all of a sudden became a problem. Then the woman filled the spots immediately. (My sis's good friend happened to have her kids going there too, so we found out the real story later.)

Loved the letter you wrote and posted!
#70 of 175 Old 11-05-2005, 09:34 AM

Quote:

Maybe I should tell my daycare provider that I need it in writing that I am not allowed to bf in front of the kids.... Or is my letter sent to Counselwoman Maloney and Marie Donigan enough proof of the situation??

This just kills me... I've had a hard time adjusting to MI in the first place. The few established friends I had here just moved recently. And I got harrassed at work for bfing and being a mother.
I really think you should ask for it in writting, it would be a good thing to have on hand especially if you decide to take this to the press after he is out of there.

s This really sucks. Michigan can be a bit backward at times, but it is not usually this bad. I will be sure to start writting letters!!
This all just makes me so mad, I am sorry this had to happen to you.

Sandy, proud mama and henna artist. :
#71 of 175 Old 11-05-2005, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter

#72 of 175 Old 11-05-2005, 10:51 AM

Good idea to get it in writing. That will be helpful - without it, all you have is hearsay. With it you have some proof of discrimination.

Whenever I've worked with an attorney, the first thing they say is "Document Everything!!" Get requests and agreements in writing, write down dates and times and conversations.. it's much more persuasive to be able to report from your records, "In a conversation dated xx-xx-xx, so-and-so informed me that..." and even better to be able to say, "In a letter dated xx-xx-xx, so-and-so informed me that .... and here is a copy of that letter." Rather than just saying, well she said this and she said that. It will present much more powerfully both for media purposes and legal purposes.
#73 of 175 Old 11-05-2005, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
The standard in the business world as I understand it is "If it isn't in writing, it isn't so."

Ask for her policy in writing. Coming from you only, it's "hearsay" rather than proof. Coming from her hand, it's proof of her policy.

"What will you do once you know?"
#74 of 175 Old 11-05-2005, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Oh I so can't sleep!!!!

Maybe I should tell my daycare provider that I need it in writing that I am not allowed to bf in front of the kids....
YES! yesyesyes I would demand it in writing.

You are SO not whining!

Take the time to heal from your marriage before you move on with someone else. Make a list of all the qualities you would like in a new partner and then work on growing that way yourself. ~mandib50
#75 of 175 Old 11-05-2005, 01:29 PM

The spreading your legs comment...Is that sexual harrassment?

Take the time to heal from your marriage before you move on with someone else. Make a list of all the qualities you would like in a new partner and then work on growing that way yourself. ~mandib50
#76 of 175 Old 11-05-2005, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momtwice
The spreading your legs comment...Is that sexual harrassment?
I don't think it constitutes sexual harassment until it persists after a request is made to discontinue that sort of talk. I think there are also certain necessary steps of documentation. Also, it'd probably be difficult to prove a same gender sexual harassment case.

It would be worth it for Smirlynwittles to specifically tell the provider that she was offended by the remark.
#77 of 175 Old 11-05-2005, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

DH came up with a good idea that may cover me in all aspects. I was basically going to write her a letter with 2 options:

1) Allow me to continue to BF my child without restrictions and leave at the end of the month (1 month earlier than planned).

2) Leave immediately, knowing full well that she is getting no prior notice.

We signed some papers when Gabe first started saying that there was a 30 day trial period to see if things would work out. It has been over a year! Also she had some requirement for notice, but she didn't give me any notice (written or otherwise regarding the bfing thing).

I hope to get it to her today and I think she'll pick option 2.

I also have day care lined up for the next month for Gabe. Long story as to why we didn't go there in the first place...
#78 of 175 Old 11-05-2005, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

Separation Agreement for Gabriel XXX at XXXXX
XXX,
I am deeply hurt and disappointed that the other parents at XXXX can not respect my right to choose how to feed my child. My feeding choice is the natural choice as well as that supported by the American Academy of Pediatrics, the World Health Organization, the Center for Disease Control, the WIC Program and other government agencies. I am also amazed that you and the other parents were not willing to wait just two months until Gabe was already scheduled to leave XXXXX. It is also very disappointing that the other parents chose to bring you their issues about my choices regarding feeding my son. It may be that the other parents were the ones who had issues with my method of feeding my son, however you made the business decision to change your policy without any notice.
You had a policy that there was a 30 day trail period for yourself and my family to decide if this arrangement was mutually agreeable. It has been over one year since Gabe started at XXXXXX and this is the first time there has been an issue with me feeding my son. Perhaps the parents of children who started after Gabe should have been informed that there was a breastfed child at your daycare and their parents could have made their decisions accordingly. Only two children remain who started at Sue’s Sweethearts before my son.
Due to the fact that I have received no written notification of your changes in feeding policies at XXXXX, I would like you to consider the following two options on how to handle this arrangement:
1)Gabe will continue at XXXXXXX until the end of November (or after Thanksgiving holiday). During this period, I will be allowed to continue to breastfeed Gabe as I have all along whether or not other children are present. If other parents object, let them know that he’ll be leaving at the end of the month. After all, breastfeeding is not considered public indecency.
2)Gabe will terminate his position at XXXXXX immediately, irregardless of the lack of notice. After all, we were given no notice of a policy on breastfeeding at XXXXXX.

Regards,
Amy XXXXXNovember 5, 2005
I agree to continue to allow XXXX to breastfeed whether or not children are present until he leaves at the end of November 2005.
SignatureDate
#79 of 175 Old 11-05-2005, 07:53 PM

You have some incredible letter writing skills.
#80 of 175 Old 11-05-2005, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I called her to let her know I wrote the letter and wanted her to sign it but she refused. She keeps claiming that it it not her fault or her decision to not let me feed Gabe. Anyways the phone call was ugly. She said she was going to officially put something in our file to say that Gabe is no longer welcome due to these issues. I'm not sure if she'll write it, but I sure hope it goes in the file. She won't sign anything because she is afraid of getting sued and losing her business. She called me a backstabber and doesn't understand how I could do this to her.

I just so want to cry... This is so wrong... I really hope some sort of legislation gets passed...

I never want to see anyone from there again.

And yes, she admitted it is all about money. I just don't see why the parents couldn't wait a couple months.

I've had more than I can take. First the battle at work, and now this...

Thanks for everyone's support. I really need time off.
#81 of 175 Old 11-05-2005, 08:22 PM

Fantastic letter.

One tiny typo (never mind if you already sent it, letter is still amazing.)

Quote:
30 day trail period

#82 of 175 Old 11-05-2005, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Well, I called her to let her know I wrote the letter and wanted her to sign it but she refused. She keeps claiming that it it not her fault or her decision to not let me feed Gabe. Anyways the phone call was ugly. She said she was going to officially put something in our file to say that Gabe is no longer welcome due to these issues. I'm not sure if she'll write it, but I sure hope it goes in the file. She won't sign anything because she is afraid of getting sued and losing her business. She called me a backstabber and doesn't understand how I could do this to her.

I just so want to cry... This is so wrong... I really hope some sort of legislation gets passed...

I never want to see anyone from there again.

And yes, she admitted it is all about money. I just don't see why the parents couldn't wait a couple months.

I've had more than I can take. First the battle at work, and now this...

Thanks for everyone's support. I really need time off.

Unbe-freaking-lievable!!!!

She knows you COULD sue her!!!!

I am getting angrier at her every time you post.

#83 of 175 Old 11-05-2005, 08:27 PM

You really are an excellent writer. You might want to consider writing an article for Mothering or another publication about your experiences. The stories of what you have been through, paired with your excellent writing abilities, make it compelling reading.

And we all know it's not YOU who is a backstabber.

#84 of 175 Old 11-05-2005, 08:31 PM

She just can't face the fact that you're RIGHT. You're 10000% right and she hates it. She is in a difficult place as the business owner, from a financial standpoint, but that's not your fault. Sometimes, doing the right thing means we suffer in other ways (financially, socially, whatever) and she can't hack it. That lies with HER, not with YOU. All of us aer faced with these kind of situations throughout our lives and we have to decide in those moments what we are made of, and if we are going to stand behind what we say or if we are going to take the easy way out. We all know what she has chosen. It's just a shame that you are having to feel so bad about it along with her.

She's the one who's leaving you in the lurch, not you backstabbing her. What an idiot. :
#85 of 175 Old 11-05-2005, 08:42 PM

Well, she's shown her true colors now. I know this is a tumultuous time, but honestly, what a relief that someone like that is no longer caring for your son! Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Now's the time to move forward. You have a legitimate complaint, and getting yourself heard is something valuable you can offer your community. Take a break, relax, and get unemotional about this. Once you feel composed and able to deal with this again, pursue it with all your might! You will have all of us supporting you, no doubt. I'd be happy to lend my voice to your pursuit, should you like it.

She is the one that is behaving unreasonably. She is the one that forced a decision. This much is obvious. She got what she deserved. Particularly if finances are what she's concerned with.
#86 of 175 Old 11-05-2005, 08:52 PM

I would seriously consider putting it in writing that you are leaving because she told you that you have to, because you feel that this hostile environment is bad for your son, etc. etc. because she could turn around and sue you for leaving suddenly. You should send it certified or notarized or whatever so she can't claim she didn't get it.

#87 of 175 Old 11-05-2005, 09:15 PM

I've been following your story as well, and I'm so sorry you're dealing with this. Your day care provider is not acting professionally AT ALL in my opinion. Would it be possible to report her to the Better Business Bureau, or is that just for big businesses? Trying to change policies to push someone out of a daycare doesn't sound okay at all. Is there some kind of daycare association you could also notify about her discriminatory practices? Honestly, if it were me, I'd be very vocal about what happened, writing letters to the editor or whatever. I understand you've been through a lot though, and you probably just want a break from all this mess.

I agree that with your awesome writing skills, it would be cool if you wrote your story to let others know that things like this can happen.

Please take care, and know that you're doing the right thing by taking your son out of that toxic environment.

Sheri
#88 of 175 Old 11-05-2005, 09:57 PM

I just saw your story tonight for the first time and I'm in shock!! I just can't believe the parents and the day care provider would have any problem with you nursing your son.r I nursed in public all the time and never had any problems. I hope your story will help make that possible for others as well.
Thanks for sharing your story...
#89 of 175 Old 11-05-2005, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momtwice
I would seriously consider putting it in writing that you are leaving because she told you that you have to, because you feel that this hostile environment is bad for your son, etc. etc. because she could turn around and sue you for leaving suddenly. You should send it certified or notarized or whatever so she can't claim she didn't get it.
:
#90 of 175 Old 11-05-2005, 11:31 PM

WOW. Un-FREAKING-believable!

This lady really has no idea that so many women do NOT agree with her unethical business practices.

Boy do I wish I was close enough to head over there pretending to be checking out the daycare for my son. Then innocently sit down to nurse him-at PICK UP TIME.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page