Clogged Montgomery Gland--help! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 12-05-2005, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have what I think it is a clogged Montgomery Gland. It started out just a bit bigger than usual, then it got hard and a little warm. Now there's some puss in it, and it hurts lke the dickens. I've tried a salve like I would put on a sore, and it helps a bit, but it hasn't healed yet, and it's been about two weeks. In the event that it matters, my nursing daughter is 13 months old. I've struggled with clogged ducts all of her life, but have gotten quite good at dealing with them immediately and effectively. Nothing like this was ever an issue with my older daughter (now 4.5, nursed until she was 2).

Thank you so much for any help or direction you can give--I'm at my wit's end! I'm thinking about weaning her from that side, but I would really, really prefer not to.

Karen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 12-05-2005, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynelady
clogged Montgomery Gland
what is that?

i just looked on kellymom.com and askdrsears.com

they dont have anything on it.
#3 of 10 Old 12-05-2005, 04:15 PM

Montgomery glands are the little bumps on your areola that help to keep the nipple clean. Self-cleaning ... like an oven

Heat worked for me - I used a heating pad to get the juices flowing again and then some gentle massage to get the clogs out.

Good luck!
#4 of 10 Old 12-05-2005, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

Heat and massage have worked well for my clogged milk ducts, but I haven't tried them for the Montgomery gland. I'll try that next. How should I massage the gland?

However, at this point the Montgomery gland is an open sore on my areola, with a hard red lump underneath. The heat and massage might address the underlying clog, but what about the open sore?
#5 of 10 Old 12-05-2005, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Heat and massage have worked well for my clogged milk ducts, but I haven't tried them for the Montgomery gland. I'll try that next. How should I massage the gland?

However, at this point the Montgomery gland is an open sore on my areola, with a hard red lump underneath. The heat and massage might address the underlying clog, but what about the open sore?

Ouch! Maybe try some Lasinoh (or pure lanolin whatever brand) for the open wound. I would probably take the lump and sort of roll it a bit with my fingers as much as I could stand it. I did that with mine... painful, but it eventually squeezed the pus out (yuck) and then I was able to coat it with Lasinoh and let it heal.

I also took motrin to reduce the swelling...

Have you called an LC? Or your local LLL leader? Keep checking here, I'm sure some other ladies have good advice too!
#6 of 10 Old 12-05-2005, 08:06 PM

This sounds like a bleb. Owie! Yes the only relief is for it to drain. Some moms have been known to do it themselves or to have a MD do it. I would go with doing it myself, with hot hot compresess & squeezing. It is not pleasant. But once it is done, you will feel better.
Good Luck.

Cristina - "If you find it in your heart to care for somebody else, you will have succeeded." Maya Angelou
#7 of 10 Old 12-06-2005, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

Well, last night I got in a very hot shower, and tried to drain anything in there--and I couldn't get a thing out. Extremely painful, though. Debstmomy, what might an MD do if I went to mine? My midwife would also help in any way I asked her--but I'm not eve sure what to ask for! A friend suggested a saline bath before I nurse--any idea how that might help?
#8 of 10 Old 12-07-2005, 12:21 AM

Is this what you are talking about there is a photo here as well
Kellymom.com is awesome. Let me know if this helps. An MD would lance it. Ask your midwife they maybe able to help as well, if they are familiar. Good Luck.

Cristina - "If you find it in your heart to care for somebody else, you will have succeeded." Maya Angelou
#9 of 10 Old 12-07-2005, 02:13 AM - Thread Starter

Oh, no, it's not a bleb. It looks more like a pimple after it's been popped or a tiny round puncture wound, and there's not anything in it that could be gotten out like milk or puss. (There was puss in it, but I got that out and no more formed.) But I don't think it's from the baby's teeth--none of them are that sharp. It does seem better today, so my current plan of action is just rubbing expressed milk into it. But I'd love more ideas if anyone has them.

blessings,
k
#10 of 10 Old 12-07-2005, 03:54 AM
DBZ

Quote:
and there's not anything in it that could be gotten out like milk or puss.
I squeezed milk out of one of mine today. First I saw a drop of milk there so I wiped it off and it reappeared. I've seen milk there before too. Today is the first time I tried squeezing it though. So there is fluid that's in there. I meant to ask the LLL leader tonight but I forgot. Maybe you should treat it like a clogged duct and nurse that side.

Kara, single mom of 4 girls (5, 8, 16 and 19) crochetsmilie.gif
Kids have strokes too! superhero.gif 

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page