Gwenyth Paltro on breastfeeding and plastic surgery - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 12-26-2005, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://entertainment.news.com.au/sto...0-7485,00.html

My comments: UGH!

I posted this at another board and so many people agreed with her that breastfeeding ruined their breasts. I think this article is one more false thing about breastfeeding that women will listen to and its sad.

Weight gain and loss, pregnancy, aging, these all cause saggy breasts
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gwyneth Paltrow ACTRESS Gwyneth Paltrow is ready to make a big departure from her strictly holistic lifestyle - for plastic surgery on her breasts.

"I think women who have breastfed understand what I'm saying that if you get a boob job it's more reconstructive surgery, actually, than cosmetic surgery,' she told the US magazine Allure.
#2 of 24 Old 12-26-2005, 09:08 PM

Thats a shame that she's perpetruating the myth that breastfeeding will destroy one's breasts. Yes, it may affect them (for better & for worse) but often most changes are the result of pregnancy. Luckily my boobs came in saggy (saggier than my Mama who nursed 4 children) , so my kiddos will be off the hook (for that at least ).
#3 of 24 Old 12-26-2005, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firemom
"I think women who have breastfed understand what I'm saying that if you get a boob job it's more reconstructive surgery, actually, than cosmetic surgery,' she told the US magazine Allure.
Sorry, Gwyneth, if it's being done for reasons of vanity (rather than health or physical comfort) then it just is cosmetic surgery. But if labeling it differently makes you feel better about it, be my guest.
#4 of 24 Old 12-26-2005, 10:12 PM

I also think her use of the term "reconstructive" is very disrespectful and hurtful to the women who have had mastectomies due to cancer. They are the women who require reconstructive surgery.
I didn't like Gwyneth that much anyway, but now I like her a lot lot less.
#5 of 24 Old 12-26-2005, 10:13 PM

: as far as that goes, i have awesome post-nursing boobs...it's my flabby saggy post baby belly that could use some loving

Brenda- Blessed wahmama to Sara(7) & Alex(5) 7/10 & 9/10 Living the crazy life with dh David & Charlie on our little urban farm!
#6 of 24 Old 12-26-2005, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_queen
I also think her use of the term "reconstructive" is very disrespectful and hurtful to the women who have had mastectomies due to cancer. They are the women who require reconstructive surgery.
After my initial reaction, this is where my mind went and I have to say that I completely agree. My thoughts are with those women.
#7 of 24 Old 12-26-2005, 10:37 PM

With her career, she needs nice breasts - especially since she can't act.
#8 of 24 Old 12-26-2005, 10:39 PM

She is pregnant again?
#9 of 24 Old 12-26-2005, 10:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Is she done having babies then? Does she realize that she will be decreasing her chances of breastfeeding another child? And has someone let her know that it's pregnancy, not breastfeeding, that takes a toll on your breasts?

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#10 of 24 Old 12-26-2005, 10:56 PM

She is pregnant again. I am not sure when she is due.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#11 of 24 Old 12-27-2005, 12:00 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
How does she explain that the women of my mother's generation, most of whom did NOT breastfeed, are sagging too? Gravity doesn't give a rat's behind whether we've nursed our babies or not. Gravity happens regardless.

"What will you do once you know?"
#12 of 24 Old 12-27-2005, 12:03 AM

BOO! :Puke

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#13 of 24 Old 12-27-2005, 03:37 PM

I agree that Paltrow's statement is incredibly disrespectful to women who have had mastectomies and generally to anyone who has really needed reconstructive surgery.

It reminds me of paintings I have that show African women proudly breastfeeding with no top or covering or anything. Their breasts certainly do "sag" but they are there for the express purpose of nourishing the baby and that is what they are supposed to do. Only childless, very young women have perky breasts. A "nursed on" breast is something that fills a woman with pride not shame.

It's so sad that Paltrow is probably going to turn more women off to breastfeeding by her actions. Didn't you know? It's better to look "great" physically then to do this great act of breastfeeding.

Stay-at-home mom to 2 beautiful.busy.boisterous boys b. 08.17.05 & 12.29.08
Nirvana is . . . the living happiness of a soul which is conscious of itself and conscious of having found its own abode in the heart of the Eternal. --Gandhi
#14 of 24 Old 12-27-2005, 05:34 PM

Gosh, I hear this so often on women's TV shows, I'm seriously considering taking a digitial camera picture of my breasts, just to send to these idiots as proof that breastfeeding doesn't ruin breasts. I nursed my first for 2 years, got pregnant while nursing, then nursed my 2nd dd for 5 years.
I was a 34 B before kids, now I'm a 36 B. I was a buxom 36 C or larger when I was my largest, when dd was 9 months old or so.

Certainly my boobs aren't large, but they are not sagging much at all. I'm turning 40 this year, and I wouldn't be ashamed to stand topless. No stretch marks.

Of course this is genetics -that's my point. But I also think that very slow gradual weaning over *years*, not days, weeks or months, has got to have helped my breasts return to their former shape.

The only real difference with my breasts pre vs. post breastfeeding, is my nipples are larger, darker and more prominent.

So anyone who blames says that breastfeeding ruins breasts - and always makes them saggy, is worse. It all about the genetics, and the amount and speed of weight gain and weight loss that comes with pregnancy and breastfeeding.

I'm pretty disappointed in Gwyneth, I thought she was pretty crunchy, for Hollywood.

Janice
#15 of 24 Old 12-27-2005, 08:05 PM

I don't care what she does to herself but she should really understand that its pregnancy that makes the biggest changes

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#16 of 24 Old 12-27-2005, 08:10 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
A big thumbs down for her!!

Has she never heard of buying a good bra?

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#17 of 24 Old 12-27-2005, 08:14 PM

Exactly! My best friend made a comment about her boobs the other day (she has an almost-7-year-old DS, and breastfed him until almost 2 years). I explained to her that pregnancy is what produces the major changes in our boobs, and not breastfeeding . . . and told her to feel proud of the fact that she nursed for so long, and to realize that her boobs would look this way even if her son had been bottlefed from birth.

Don't know if she believed me . . . and I'm certainly not going to bottlefeed this baby inside me just to prove my point!
#18 of 24 Old 12-27-2005, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janice in Canada
Gosh, I hear this so often on women's TV shows, I'm seriously considering taking a digitial camera picture of my breasts, just to send to these idiots as proof that breastfeeding doesn't ruin breasts. I nursed my first for 2 years, got pregnant while nursing, then nursed my 2nd dd for 5 years.
I was a 34 B before kids, now I'm a 36 B. I was a buxom 36 C or larger when I was my largest, when dd was 9 months old or so.

Certainly my boobs aren't large, but they are not sagging much at all. I'm turning 40 this year, and I wouldn't be ashamed to stand topless. No stretch marks.

Of course this is genetics -that's my point. But I also think that very slow gradual weaning over *years*, not days, weeks or months, has got to have helped my breasts return to their former shape.

The only real difference with my breasts pre vs. post breastfeeding, is my nipples are larger, darker and more prominent.

So anyone who blames says that breastfeeding ruins breasts - and always makes them saggy, is worse. It all about the genetics, and the amount and speed of weight gain and weight loss that comes with pregnancy and breastfeeding.

I'm pretty disappointed in Gwyneth, I thought she was pretty crunchy, for Hollywood.

Janice
: I was a 34C pre pregnancy, a 36D while bf dd#1, and am now a 34B after about 4+ yrs of bf two kids. My breast do not sag, are pretty perky, symetrical and look as good as they ever did save for darker, larger areolas and nipples that stick out a touch. Let's send her photos of both of our boobs !

I'd agree that it is genetics, age, and the size of your breasts that accounts for much of the sagging or lack thereof.
#19 of 24 Old 12-27-2005, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_queen
I didn't like Gwyneth that much anyway, but now I like her a lot lot less.
True that. I miss my saggy breastfeeding boobs, and the chance to bf another babe. Lameass.
#20 of 24 Old 12-27-2005, 08:40 PM

Oh, and as I stalk Orlando Bloom on teh interweb, I ran across this:

http://www.entertainmentwise.com/news?id=11681

"Orlando hasn't seen Gwyneth in a while and he remarked how big her chest looked.

"She just laughed and said, 'I know they are big. I can't believe it. It's amazing, isn't it? It's the best thing about being pregnant. I love the way I look!'"

Remarked how big her chest looked??!
#21 of 24 Old 12-28-2005, 05:21 PM

Actually, what concerns me is that this will turn other celebrities off breastfeeding. I think trends and appearance really matter to most celebs. I also think (as having babies seems to be trendy right now) we could really use more of them bfing. That would be a huge step in making it "what people do."

Also, I have read, and it makes total sense, that weaning quickly does more towards sagging boobs than anything. If someone has a baby and doesn't breastfeed, or weans quickly enough to be engorged, her breasts will sag more. Think about it, they're all stretched out and then dry up quickly. There's not much time for elasticity. If a person weans slowly, it gives time for the elasticity in the skin to help strink back...less sagging!
#22 of 24 Old 12-28-2005, 10:04 PM

I just have something tacky to say...

About 10 years ago Brad Pitt was featured...ahem, naked...in Playgirl magazine. Well, I've never been much of a fan but my girlfriend and I ran out and bought it. There were unauthorized pics of him an Gweneth on vacation together. They were both naked and hanging out pretty much. Well, she was about 22 at the time (same age I was) and remember being totally freaked out by her little saggy boobies and saggy butt! They looked like they belonged to a 50 year old woman. Thats the tacky comment I had to make about a fellow female. So, I have to wonder if she just noticed she has saggy boobs...maybe she feels she has something to blame it on. Doesn't make sense I know but this is what popped into my mind reading this thread.

And...
Shame on her for perpetuating that rediculousness. I'm dissapointed in her because I liked her.

Amy

Mama to DS1 (4/04) DS2 (HBAC 11/06) DS3 (HBAC 12/08) DS4 (HBAC 1/11). Wife to one handsome hard working DH.
#23 of 24 Old 12-28-2005, 10:35 PM

#24 of 24 Old 12-29-2005, 06:40 PM

I agree that what she said was probably not good for breastfeeding advocacy, but I wonder if it was taken out of context or maybe she's pregnant...hormonal..said something she didn't mean ya know?

Ive also seen threads here and there on MDC (usually in tao) about having a boob job for the reasons in the article.

Mother of 3, welcomed a new baby girl July 2011

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page