Yeah for WIC - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 01-22-2003, 12:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I hear so many times where WIC is so pro ABM and more or less anti-BFing...but:

The WIC office I go to is just the opposite!!! First of all, the bfing class I went to while I was pregnant was taught by a woman nursing her toddler....she talked about how women should nurse past a year and as long as mutualy desired (preferrable child led weaning)

Then, this opportunity comes up for me (and any other mother who has succesfully bf'd for 9+mo) to become a peer counselor, the program is sponsored by LLL, it is a 6 week course and all the materials are provided for us including one expensive "the breastfeeding answer book" which btw is VERY heavy!!! :LOL

anyway, so at the meeting there were a bunch of AP mamas there..all talking about using slings, co-sleeping, no vaxing, EBF, and cloth diapers. They (the directors of the meeting) also said that our WIC office is going to start a nursing mother's tea...where one day a week nursing mothers and their babies and toddlers can come, have tea and chat with other moms....cool huh?!?

I was pretty impressed!!!! Yeah for them!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 01-22-2003, 01:15 AM

that is fantastic... the WIC office here in southern CA told me to with hold my sons BF 's so he wouls eat more solids... this was at 9 months..... from a lady who was suppose to be BFing her 2 yr old..:

i am glad you have a good wic in your area...
#3 of 3 Old 01-22-2003, 01:59 AM

Hooray! This sounds like the WIC I wasa BF-ing Peer Counselor for in the Bronx. SOOOO pro BF, AP, etc. It was wonderful. Meanwhile, my NJ WIC REFUSES to talk to me about their open peer couunselor spot b/c the ywant to hand pick an uninterested LLL leader for the position. It reeally depends where you are. The same office is breastfeeding clueless!

You'll enjoy peer counseling, I know I DID!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page