My OB sold my name to the formula companies!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 01-25-2003, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm 34-36 weeks pregnant, and I like my OB. However, I've been getting some ads and magazines in the mail from Carnation and Ross Labs. I've called both companies and asked them not to send me anything (in fact, I almost feel sorry for the rep I spoke to at Carnation - she got an earful about how we boycott in our household!), and I set about trying to figure out how they got my name. My first name was misspelled, so that was my clue. At my last OB appointmet, I noticed on my chart that my name was misspelled in the same manner. BINGO! I have brought up to my OB several times that I'm disappointed in his promotion of formula in his office (he tried and failed to give me a free sample on my first visit, and I've even quoted the WHO Code to him several times since, because I see packs being given out to other future moms), but it's important to note here that this is the ONLY point in which we disagree - otherwise, he's very supportive and encouraging of my choice of a natural labor, unlike my last OB.
My intent is to write a letter to his office, outlining again my disappointment. (I'm mailing it after the baby is born.) I know that OBs make money by selling their patient lists, so I know WHY he's doing it. However, he goes to church with several of my friends, so I'd like to make an appeal on two fronts - how selling his patient list is not in the best interest of women's health from a medical standpoint, and how it's morally wrong. I'd like any studies that you ladies can point me to, and any points that you would bring up in such a letter. TIA!
Sorry so long!

Proud Catholic, homeschooling, RN-student mama of
DS 10 reading.gif  DS 8 fencing.gif DS 5, DD 3 energy.gif and a new DS  belly.gif 3/2011
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 17 Old 01-25-2003, 04:09 PM

Read these books: Milk Money and Madness and The Politics of Breastfeeding, for all the info and stats you may need. good luck in your activism!!!
#3 of 17 Old 01-25-2003, 04:47 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
What's really sad is I've heard this only happens to women who are planning to bf - formula-feeding moms have told me they never got any free samples from the same docs who give them to the bf moms.

I hear this is also true of some magazines like American Baby - they have a survey and if you say you're exclusively bf, you get a free case of formula!
#4 of 17 Old 01-25-2003, 05:05 PM

it seems that formula companies TARGET non-formula users.

i did not breastfeed and did not get ONE free sample. ALL My breastfeeding friends and a lot of my online friends who breastfeed DID get samples.

that sucks! no pun intended!
#5 of 17 Old 01-25-2003, 05:57 PM

I went to ONE visit with an OB/GYN before switching to a homebirth CNM and I got all the crap. I threw out the formula samples. And I just loved those helpful copies of "American Baby" magazine provided by Nasty Nestle: "Breastfeeding is best for your baby, BUT, in the (implied: likely) event that you need to supplement or want to switch to formula, we've included many advertisements and coupons with the hopes you'll choose our superior product..." I didn't even own a bottle when DD was born, utterly determined to make BF work this time! Get this, I also got calls after the baby's birth from a company who claimed they took her picture in the hospital. You can imagine the reps embarrasment when I informed her of the impossibility of them having pictures of my baby, who was born at HOME! Sheeeesh!

Yes, this was very frustrating for me. I knew enough not to let them undermine my determination to BF exclusively, but what about mom's who are unsupported, unsure of themselves, etc.? It's a darn shame and doctors should know better. Don't they make enough money attending births?

I second the suggestion to read Milk, Money, Madness and The Politics of Breastfeeding. IMO they should be required reading for all medical providers. Perhaps you could also write a letter to the editor of your local newspaper. Don't cite your doc's name, but just bring up the issue and quote the WHO code. Most people are unaware of it. When I tell people about my decision to boycott Nestle, they seem shocked by the info I give them. (many don't give a hoot, but I tell anyone polite enough to listen! ) Oh, and don't forget - Juicy Juice is a Nestle product - don't let your kids drink it!
#6 of 17 Old 01-25-2003, 08:36 PM

For references to health risks of formula see
http://www.promom.org/101/index.html

or check out http://www.kellymom.com

In this link you can click on the underlined words, one even leads you to statement from the American Academy of Pediatrics URGING peds to SUPPORT breastfeeding:
http://www.breastfeeding.com/reading..._disaster.html

also
http://www.promom.org/bf_info/why_low.htm

http://www.breastfeeding.com/all_abo...cking_doc.html

If you mention the WHO Code, keep in mind it is RECOMMENDATIONS from the World Health Organization and UNICEF (in a joint statement) which are NOT law in the USA.

So you could mention that the AAP, WHO and UNICEF all condemn what he is doing. YES EVEN IN THE USA.

Take the time to heal from your marriage before you move on with someone else. Make a list of all the qualities you would like in a new partner and then work on growing that way yourself. ~mandib50
#7 of 17 Old 01-26-2003, 01:06 AM

Good for you for taking the time to write!

Here is a link to a for a letter for a task force effort to get rid of formula samples. Not exactly your situation, but you may get some good ideas, and there are relevant references included. http://www.breastfeedingtaskforla.or...ack-letter.doc

The following is an excerpt from the second issue of the Moms for Milk newsletter. I asked permission from the author, Janice Reynolds, to post it here.

Write a Letter
When things go wrong, you need to make a complaint. Sometimes you can simply deal with the problem in person or over the phone. But you often put yourself in a better position when you write a letter: your message will not be interrupted, and you will have a written record of your complaint.

The purpose of the letter of complaint is not to blow off steam. The best complaint letters do not sound complaining. That statement may sound contradictory, but its not. If you write a letter that reflects only your annoyance and anger, you may not be taken seriously – you may simply appear petty and irrational. Instead, you need to explain the problem and ask for a solution. In fact, the less whiny your letter sounds, the more likely you are to get a positive response from your reader. You may even wish to comment on and compliment what was done well – that will build rapport. Remember, too, that the person who receives your letter may not be the one who was directly responsible for the situation about which you are complaining. Venting your anger at someone who was not at fault is neither fair nor useful. Most organizations are happy to get customer feedback because they want to provide quality products and services.

An effective complaint letter – a letter that accomplishes its purpose – should be both firm and well thought out. It should assume, first, that the recipient will be conscientious in correcting the problem. Second, it should indicate that the writer is capable of handling the situation calmly. Finally, the letter should convey that you expect the situation to be corrected.
Although the circumstances and the severity of the problem may vary, effective complaint letters should generally follow the same pattern. You need to produce evidence that a problem exists and that your reader has a responsibility to address the problem. Remember: Be Complete, Clear and Courteous

WHAT YOUR LETTER SHOULD LOOK LIKE:

Your address here

Date

Name
Address,
City, (State or Prov.), Postal Code

Dear ___________:

(The details of what happened) “I am writing because of a recent discussion we had in your office on (date)”. (Recount, as best you remember, the details and facts of your event or conversation).

The problem) Now tell why this is a problem. Be specific about why this information was incorrect or not helpful. Describe the affect this had on you (both physical and emotional – your feelings and self-esteem are important, too). Explain logically, clearly and specifically how this bad information or lack of support caused a problem. (Avoid expressing an opinion of why you think some problem occurred, if you have no way of knowing. For example, don’t say “maybe you were having a bad day, maybe you never breastfed your children” etc). Don’t discount yourself (“maybe I am overly sensitive” or “I’m not a doctor but…”).
(Attempted Solutions) Explain what you did, who you talked to and what new information or support you have found.

(The Solution) Explain what action you want the reader to take to solve the problem to your satisfaction. For example, to read and consider the information you enclose, to change policy, to remove formula samples, etc.

Sincerely,
Your Signature
Your name

Enclosure: list each article, study, etc that you are including in the mailing
cc: clinic owner, clinic office manager, or all the doctors in the clinic?
cc: hospital administrator?
cc: Health District Chief Executive Officer?
cc: your State or Provincial Licensing Body?

(these cc’s are listed in increasing seriousness of complaint. Sending at least one carbon copy, especially to someone in higher authority, may increase your chances of getting a response)
(And if you have a local breastfeeding task force, cc them, or even me! so they are aware that there are citizen's groups forming to monitor these things)
(the more cc's the better)
#8 of 17 Old 01-26-2003, 05:54 PM

Just one more note on this--my pet peeve--don't call it formula! Makes it sound too scientific and give it too much credibility. Call it artificial baby milk, or ABM. That stresses it's processed and inferior nature!

TIA
#9 of 17 Old 01-26-2003, 06:10 PM

Another point, and one that may be the loophole to unsolicited artificial baby feed coming to our doors:

it is a breech of patient confidentiality to give your name and medical condition to anyone, and that includes giving it to a company !!! Breeches in patient confidentiality can be brought up to the State Medical boards!!

Anyone wanna make a federal case of it??
#10 of 17 Old 01-26-2003, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sleepies
it seems that formula companies TARGET non-formula users.

i did not breastfeed and did not get ONE free sample. ALL My breastfeeding friends and a lot of my online friends who breastfeed DID get samples.

that sucks! no pun intended!
Exactly. Breastfeeding moms are known to the ABM companies as the best targets. Why? ( and this may sound bad to non-BF moms, but this is not my logic, it is theirs)
Breastfeeding mothers want the best nutrition for the baby. They are the ones most likely to switch to the canned crap when done BF. Thinking that it is the 'next best thing'.

While mothers that never breastfeed are more likely to switch soon to regular milk rather than an artificial baby feed.

There were studies on this, I did not come up with it. I will do some searches and see, although it may make a better topic for a new thread. Good points sleepies.
#11 of 17 Old 01-26-2003, 10:13 PM

Quote:
it is a breech of patient confidentiality to give your name and medical condition to anyone, and that includes giving it to a company !!! Breeches in patient confidentiality can be brought up to the State Medical boards!!
This was what I was thinking. He has no right to make money off your name. It's YOURS not his, same for the information in those records.

"What will you do once you know?"
#12 of 17 Old 01-27-2003, 12:38 AM - Thread Starter

But how would I go about proving that he sold my name? Writing a letter is one thing, but proving in a court of law that he sold my name is a completely different story. I would have had to have saved one of the magazines (I haven't) and proven that I didn't give my (misspelled) name or address out to any stores or anyone else who shares their mailing lists.

Proud Catholic, homeschooling, RN-student mama of
DS 10 reading.gif  DS 8 fencing.gif DS 5, DD 3 energy.gif and a new DS  belly.gif 3/2011
#13 of 17 Old 01-27-2003, 07:53 AM

Hm, regardless of WHO codes which the US hasn't signed I was under the impression that your supposed to have confidantility from your physician.

I would email LLL league and ask...I would consider this a serious breech.

Not all those who wander are lost 
#14 of 17 Old 01-27-2003, 09:25 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I breastfed and I never got any samples of formula other than what came in the sample pack that OB gave me (it had prenatals, lotion, ads and a little can of formula). After I gave birth I started getting all sorts of baby related solicitation like book clubs, Gerber insurance and that sort of thing. My friend went to the same OB I did, and I noticed she did get a case of formula samples. I assume that she filled out that name and address thing that Enfamil puts in OB offices. It would really be upsetting to deliberately not fill out that sign up sheet, but have my OB still sell my name. I'm wondering what's going to happen with me now, since I just went to the gynecologist the other day for an annual, and now they know I'm pregnant.
#15 of 17 Old 02-09-2003, 05:36 PM

refresh

Take the time to heal from your marriage before you move on with someone else. Make a list of all the qualities you would like in a new partner and then work on growing that way yourself. ~mandib50
#16 of 17 Old 02-11-2003, 09:46 PM

Abimommy, Clinton did sign the US onto the Code, but unless Congress takes action to encode its provisions into Law, it has no force behind it.

"What will you do once you know?"
#17 of 17 Old 02-12-2003, 02:27 AM

Quote:
What's really sad is I've heard this only happens to women who are planning to bf - formula-feeding moms have told me they never got any free samples from the same docs who give them to the bf moms.
Breastfeeding moms are the formula companies' best customers. Women who start out on formula tend to wean to cow's milk at 9-12 months. Bf moms will often supplement with formula or wean to formula at a year or whatever, rather than just weaning to solid food. Since many of them know that breastfeeding is beneficial beyond 12 months, they figure that if they're not breastfeeding, the baby should get formula after they wean (does that make sense? I'm really tired...). Anyway, it's horrible and sad.

peace, Beth

edited to add: Oops. I just read Keysmama's reply above. Sorry to repeat. She said it better than I did.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page