? about bf'ing and solids after 1 year.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-26-2003, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi - I posted this in Life with a Babe Forum and got mostly people wondering the same thing - we though maybe someone over here could help:

Ok, so I had no problem with bf'ing ds first, then feeding him solids as was recommended when he was under 1.

Now ds is quickly moving past his first birthday, and is taking more and more interest in a variety of solid food.

He does ask for milk with signs (too cute), but should I be shifting him to a solids first, nursing supplementary type regime? He still nurses at night, anywhere from 6-2 times per night (more often than not it is the 6).

I don't want to be depriving him of solids, but sometimes it is easier to whip out the boob rather than make him some food. Can't do that forever though! What do you do? I guess my question is how do I balance solids and bf'ing now that he is 1+?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2003, 10:23 PM

i think it's OK to offer solids first after a year, but my own experience has been that Shoshanna (now 15 months) mostly prefers to nurse. i'd say she gets about 85% of her nutrition from breastmilk, but her interest in solids is picking up.
if i'm eating something, i offer her some. she doesn't always want it, and if she does, she will sometimes just taste it and then feed it to the dog! but i offer throughout the day.
i have a friend who quit nursing at 8 months, and her baby is about to be 1, and he eats solids all day long, with only 1 or 2 bottles! it's so strange to hear her tell me how he eats "gerber pasta pick ups" and ice cream and such. she says he's never turned down anything she's offered, whereas shosh has DEFINITELY not cared for some of what we have given her. but then, that's what dogs are for, right?
Old 01-27-2003, 08:17 AM

I treated the second year much the same as the first

dd was 2 last month and still nurses for most of her food, she is very healthy and thriving, so I know in my heart that we are doing the right thing

did you know in some cultures it is rare for a child to even taste solid foods before the second birthday?

Now that she is 2, I do find myself offering her more food, more often, but I still follow her lead--- her little body knows more about what it needs then I do!

Lisa
Old 01-27-2003, 04:03 PM

Toddlers eat very erratically, so be glad you are nursing.

My dd is 2, and we just watched her for signs of readiness for solids. She ate token bits of our food--whatever we thought appropriate and healthy for ages, and she didn't start asking for meals until 18 mo or so. At times, she still hardly eats anything, and at times, she eats a ton.
As long as you're offering her healthy foods and she's healthy, she's fine nursing a lot and eating a little. You can try offering solids first if you want, but I wouldn't force it. We're trying not to make food an issue of any kind around here. Prepare things that are easy, so you don't feel bad if she doesn't eat them. And watch out for nursing after fod, because food left in the mouth can cause abrasions to the nipple.
Many breastfed toddlers experience a growth plateau around 1 or 18 mo. They may even stop gaining weight at all for a while and really slim down. Don't worry if this happens to your dd, as long as she is healthy and has appropriate energy.
If you think she's nursing a lot out of thirst, you might offer her a cup of water (not juice--empty calories) first, especially in hot weather.
Many kids delay solids because they have allergies to foods. Avoid high;y allergenic foods, if you think this is a possibility. But 12 mo. is not late to be taking solids for a bf baby.
Try Sears' Family Nutrition Book if you haven't already.

User Tag List