LLL meetings? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-28-2003, 01:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just found out about a local LLL meeting and think I might go. I was just wondering what to expect. Are the meetings typically discussion/q&a type meetings or are they different topics each time or what?
Although I do have lots of friends and family my age who are also new mama's, I'm kind of alone in the sense that they're all very mainstream and I'm the "wierdo nature mama" of the bunch. So I think LLL would be a good place to go to find people who share my interests on bf, babywearing, cd, etc. Am I right?
Thanks,
Carmen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2003, 02:17 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Definitely go! You are very likely to find what you are looking for there. I never really had a single problem nursing but I love going to meetings for the support. It may vary but at most meetings I have been to everyone briefly introduces herslf and her child/ren then the leader talks briefly about the topic of the week... and that is usually a discussion too, they don't lecture so much as get the discussion going. Then she will ask if anyone is having particular difficulties and those are addressed. All the while moms are nursing, the toddlers are playing, it is slightly controlled chaos, but it is great!
Old 01-28-2003, 08:01 AM

Go! Go! Go! I am sure you will enjoy getting together with other nursing mamas. The basic format LLL has is a rotation of 4 different topics: Breastfeeding: The Healthy Choice; Baby's Arrival into the Family; Breastfeeding: Questions Mothers Ask; and Nutrition and Weaning. We change the names of our topics so I don't know them word for word, but those are the basics (i.e. Thoughts on Nutrition and Weaning can aslo be Feeding Your Breastfed Baby Solids). Here, I will cut and paste the info from our local flyer:
Quote:
La Leche League is an international, nonprofit, nonsectarian organization dedicated to providing education, information, support, and encouragement to women who want to breastfeed. La Leche League began in 1956 when one mother who had successfully breastfed her baby helped another who wanted to nurse. "Mother-to-mother" is still our basic approach. We know that most of the questions mothers have about breastfeeding are practical ones, best answered by other nursing mothers. So, if you have questions, need help with a breastfeeding problem, or just need a little encouragement, please don't hesitate to call.

La Leche League of Chico offers:
-Telephone help from accredited, experienced leaders
-Monthly meetings with other moms -- children and babies always welcome
-45+ years experience helping moms and babies world-wide
-Lending library filled with books designed to nurture families
-Special meetings for toddlers and couples, as well as informal playgroups
-Optional $36.00 membership which brings you New Beginnings Magazine, a 10% discount on items purchased through the LLLI Catalog, and the joy and satisfaction of helping mothers and babies everywhere
So while there are the 4 basic topics, it is always okay to bring up any nursing problem which needs attention -- most leaders ask during the meeting if anyone is having a problem. It is a great place to meet like-minded moms.

So go, go, go!

(Can you tell I love LLL and am heavily invovled?)
Old 01-28-2003, 02:50 PM

I went to LLL for the same reasons and was not disappointed. Groups can do a few formats for the meetings, such as a "conversation" style format or "round robin." The Leader might ask a question and ask others to respond. You should always be sure to ask whatever questions you have, even if it's after the meeting, ot get a Leader's number andcall her.
Many mothers attend LLL to meet others, so be sure to tell the group that when you introduce yourself at the beginning.

Have fun!

User Tag List