Weight gain slowing down. Any ideas? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-30-2003, 11:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi! I'm pretty new around here and I saw that there was another thread about slow weight gain, but I have a bit of different story. My son is now 10 months and eats a good bit of solid food, but still bfs about every 2-3 hours (even at night). However between our 6 and 9 month ped. visits, his weight slowed significantly. At 4 months, he was at the 25%, at 6m 8% and now he's below the 5th%. They ran all kinds of tests (poked, peed, sweat, you name it, they got the bodily fluid). All seemed to come out just fine and normal. He's right on track developmentally, and is basically a happy, healthy, active boy. Just really little.

I'm trying to increase my supply by drinking more water and Mothers Milk tea. He's really been eating solids well, too. I just feel really frustrated and kind of like I'm failing him in some way. Maybe it's just doctors overreacting, I don't know. At least there's been no talk of formula or anything! Anyone got any ideas?? Thanks in advance.

Cindy
#2 of 6 Old 01-31-2003, 06:01 PM

Cindy, don't get discouraged! Keep up the good work!

My little guy dropped off, too. At his one year visit he was in the second percentile. The doc wasn't overly concerned but did mention the words "Growth Clinic," which put me into a frenzy.

My ds was also eating table food with normal development in every area. I knew in my heart my ds was getting exactly what he needed from me. Still, I felt a ton of guilt!

I weighed him on a digital scale at my BF support group every week and called it in to the doc's office. He gained very slowly. As long as he wasn't sick he at least maintained his weight. Then I only called it in every other week and then once a month. He showed a pretty steady growth. It was just very slow.

The only thing I did differently was to make sure he was offered table foods with a little more fat. Like, real butter instead of margarine and cooking with whole milk. Peanutbutter cookies at snack time, etc.

I nursed him to 21 months. I was ready to stop pretty early (after five rounds of mastitus in the first six months) but I stuck it out passed a year until I was confident he was growing.

At his 24 month check he was back up to the 20th percentil for weight.

Quote:
He's right on track developmentally, and is basically a happy, healthy, active boy. Just really little.
I used mm tea, too. I like it with honey. Hang in there! You're doing a great job!
#3 of 6 Old 02-01-2003, 12:53 AM

Have you asked your ped what charts are being used to judege your son's "percentile"? The "standard" ones are based on FORMULA fed babies. Their weight gain is generally very different from that of bf babies. I know there are new charts that some peds use based on exclusively bf babies. As long as there aren't any other health issues I certainly wouldn't worry about my son not meeting the "normal" weight gain requirements. It sounds like you're doing everything right.
#4 of 6 Old 02-01-2003, 02:32 PM

Here is a helpful website:

weight gain in bfed babies

It appears that fully bfed babies gain weight faster (on average) than artificially fed ones, at first. But then weight gain tends to slow in the 2nd half of the yr, with babies being fed both ways ending up abt the same at the end of the yr.

We don't have to look for staying the the same percentile, gradual slope all the way. Of course, babies grow in spurts too, so right after any particular weight check/checkup yr baby may suddenly gain a pound!
#5 of 6 Old 02-01-2003, 03:34 PM

#6 of 6 Old 02-01-2003, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the input and the links! What a relief. I've looked for other info on bfd babies growth, but couldn't seem to find it. The ped. thinks things are looking up, with 8oz gained in 13 days, so I guess we're all OK. What frustration--all the poking and prodding for nothing! Thanks so much for the support!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page