How long does it take to get a law passed... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 02-01-2003, 04:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
and where do I start? Ok...another "college assignment" thread.

In a political science class, have to do a project & paper. Thought about getting a specific "it's ok to breastfeed" law on the books here in Kansas. I am wondering if it is anywhere near realistic to do this and where I would start. ( I probably wouldn't have to actually get it enacted, just talking about the experience would probably be enough). I am also wondering what a realistic time table would be to do this...would it be possible to get it enacted before May?

any info would be helpful.

Mom to 10yo Autistic Wonder Boy and 6yo Inquisitive Fireball Girl . December birthdays.

#2 of 2 Old 02-01-2003, 10:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hmmmm..... I don't know how long it would take, but I would start by finding out the office of your state representative and calling them and asking to talk to the legislative director or chief of staff (preferably a woman working for a woman legislator but start where you can). The first step is to find out whether a law is already on the books, and if not, which state has the best model to follow. (Maybe La Leche League's website will have something on that?) If your local rep isn't friendly look up online the website for the state legislature (I'm assuming they have one, but who knows) and try to target a progressive woman legislator (one or more) and call their offices to discuss. Also call the LLL leadership, and maybe the League of Women Voters? and the local American Academy of Pediatrics? to see if you can get any organizational support for a bill.

I would put together a fact sheet of why breastfeeding is so great - a one or two pager of bullet points, a la LLL's top 100 reasons to breastfeed - focusing especially on the economics of it and how it is so great from a public health perspective. In other words, why would it save the state money to encourage breastfeeding?

I'm sure there are websites out there on the political process that might be helpful, too, but this might give you a starting point.

Sounds like a cool project!

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page