I think it's time to night wean. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-09-2006, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think I totally scared DD last night. :

Is 10 months too young to night wean? She's to the point where she usually wakes only once to nurse then goes back to sleep. Usually she's in bed between 9-10 and wake around 3 or 4 to nurse, then back to sleep until 6:30 or 7. She sleeps in a pack & play in our room, btw (right next to my side of the bed).

So last night she started stirring around 3ish and I didn't immediately jump up and get her. Well, next thing I know she's standing in the pack & play staring at my face. So I get up and take her out to the living room to nurse (I enjoy watching the FOX news shows overnight, as well as soapnet & Lifetime Movie Network).

I sit down to nurse her and she bites...HARD...OUCH!!! So I rock her for awhile and try to calm her (and me) and apologize for not getting up right away and tried to nurse again. Again...she bit! We switched sides...thinking maybe that was the problem...

All in all she bit me four times! (Keep in mind this child has 8 teeth!!! Biting is no small matter!)

So by this time I'm peeved and I think she knows. So I finally lay her in my arms, but not in necessarily a "nursing" position and decided I am NOT offering her the breast again and I'll just rock her to sleep. At that point she just stared at me...

She didn't cry, but I had to rock her for over an hour (got to watch Greta Van Susteren at 3 am & part of Bill O'Reilly at 4am).

If it happens again can I nightwean? :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2006, 07:35 PM

IMO it's way too early to night wean. BUT I would eliminate the trip to the living room. You're teaching her that it's time to get up - at least for mommy. I would nurse her in bed and encourage her to go back to sleep.

-Angela
Old 02-09-2006, 07:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna
IMO it's way too early to night wean. BUT I would eliminate the trip to the living room. You're teaching her that it's time to get up - at least for mommy. I would nurse her in bed and encourage her to go back to sleep.

-Angela
I completely agree with everything Angela said!
Old 02-10-2006, 12:21 AM

I just wanted to add that you are doing *really* good at 10 months to only have one night waking (5 hours is considered "sleeping through") and I would be hesitant to cut back as you go into the easily distractable 9-15 month corridor (unless you are planning on early weaning).

Old 02-10-2006, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone! Nursing her in our bed isn't an option. DH is a super-light sleeper. He wakes up at the slightest noise and has a terrible time getting back to sleep. Since he has to go to work and I have to luxury of staying home (watching soaps, eating bon-bons, you know...) I usually just scoop her up and take her to the living room, which isn't a long trip since our house is fairly small. I don't turn on lights and I don't interact with her too much and I keep the t.v. on really really low.

She did it again last night...bite bite bite bite, then those eyes.... Those eyes are downright freaky at 3 am!!! She doesn't cry or fuss. She just stares.

The only thing I can come up with is this: possible growth spurt. Since I'm a low-supply mom, I use an SNS. Typically, I only need the SNS for 3 feedings during the day. I can usually nurse her overnight without it and first thing in the morning. Well, this morning I tried to nurse her without it and she went nuts. So I finally got the SNS ready and she calmed right down. So maybe I need to be using the SNS at night for awhile.

OT, but btw, I probably will wean early...well just depends on a lot, but I only have enough domperidone, more milk plus, and goat's rue to get me through until she's about 13-14 months. She does okay on yogurt, cheese, and cottage cheese, so I'm thinking she'll be okay on whole milk, but still I'll probably let her comfort nurse for as long as she wants.
Old 02-10-2006, 01:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcyC
Thanks everyone! Nursing her in our bed isn't an option. DH is a super-light sleeper. He wakes up at the slightest noise and has a terrible time getting back to sleep. Since he has to go to work and I have to luxury of staying home...
Exactly my case too! That's why since the baby was born my husband is sleeping in his room on the floor . We are planning on reuniting in the bed when baby sleeps through the night.
BTW, you are extremely lucky to have such a nice sleeping baby! Mine is 8.5m.o. and he wakes up every hour or two .
Old 02-10-2006, 02:06 PM

I have a 16 month old, we cosleep, but I know he wakes anywhere from 3 to 6 times a night. MarcyC, you've got it easy

In many cultures where cosleeping is the norm, the father either chooses to sleep with mother and child or automatically sleeps in another bed by himself. When we started sleeping separately, I started missing DP next to me, but I told myself this cosleeping arrangement won't last long, and if having my child next to me makes me feel better, then why not may sound selfish, but I need my sleep. Now I'm fine with our sleep arrangement (DP did miss me too, but he get's over things much faster than I do!).

Whenever my kids have bitten me, I just really stress on their latch for a while after. May be she isn't keen on nursing, but just being close to you. Who knows. Maybe she's grown to enjoy the middle-of-the-night date with mama I too agree that if you can take her to a bed (not necessarily where your DH is) and encourage her to go back to sleep it may suit her better.

If you're open to it when weaning happens, I've heard of several homemade formulas out there (check out the "Nutrition and Good Eating" forum). I don't know much about them, but I've heard they're much closer to mamas milk that commercial milk products. Also put out a call for the things you need to keep up your supply. I've seen generous offers from MDC mamas before, and I doubt they're rare.
Old 02-10-2006, 05:16 PM

Needs to get his own bed if he cant suck it up.

He should work around you.
Old 02-10-2006, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter

:

She's had a cold now for almost 3 weeks. After the first week, I took her in because she'd been acting like she had an ear infection - literally excavating her left ear. The ped. said there was a LITTLE fluid in the right ear, but the left was clear. They told me to give her pediacare.

A few days later she was running a fever of 102+ so I took her back in figuring that right ear had become infected. Still - trace fluid in right ear, left ear clear. She was also coughing a bit and congested from the cold. They told me to switch from pediacare to yellow triaminic during the day (to break up the congestion) and robitussin at night to help her sleep.

So today I called back. She's still coughing, to the point where she's turning purple and vomitting. Also my older DS is coughing and not acting like a normal 7 year old boy - all week he's been taking 3 hour naps.

So I take them both in DS has bronchitis. DD#1 is fine (thankfully one of my kids is healthy). But the baby has bronchitis AND a double ear infection. The ped. said, "no wonder she's been keeping you up all night." So she's started on antibiotics and he said I could give her tylenol at night for the pain she's more than likely experiencing. Wow!! Do I ever feel like a horrible mom!
Old 02-10-2006, 09:23 PM

I can tell you without a doubt in my mind that that's not true. Don't be so hard on yourself!

Just the fact that you came here for support and advice speaks volumes (all good too )

I hope everyone at your end will feel better soon

User Tag List