Aren't pediatricians supposed to be at least vaguely familiar with the AAP? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-11-2006, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
SIL's ped had her starting my niece on solids at 4 months.

My SIL even said to him "I thought it was 6 months."

Apparently she's only been feeding a little bit once a day though and keeping a sharp eye out for reactions. It's just all the *other* parents who'd start cramming their kid full of cereal that I'm pissed about.

I mean, even if he'd given her the other signs of readiness it would have been okay. If a four month old can sit on his/her own and has lost the tongue-push reflex and grabs for food, then she/he's probably a bit ahead develpmentally anyway.

Oddly enough, the only food that's caused a problem is oatmeal, and that's only a problem externally. She got a rash when my SIL used Aveeno baby lotion (only once and immediately switched to a hypoallergenic variety instead) and she got a rash on her face when she had some oatmeal. Didn't seem to be in pain at all, just reddish apparently.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2006, 10:11 PM

Even if a four month old can sit up, and has lost their tongue thrust, etc. they are still more likely to be ill with infections if they eat solid food vs. babies who start at 6 months, according to the WHO and the AAP.

Take the time to heal from your marriage before you move on with someone else. Make a list of all the qualities you would like in a new partner and then work on growing that way yourself. ~mandib50
Old 02-12-2006, 12:58 AM

But if they had all the babies start solids at 6 months, what would they do with all those lovely colored fliers that Gerber gives them?

When my son was 4 months old we got a "baby feeding kit" from our doctor including fliers and samples of Gerber baby food. I made all his food at home for a lot less with all organic fruits, grains, and vegetables. He started solids at 6 months. (We threw away the Gerber kit.)
Old 02-12-2006, 01:03 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Aren't pediatricians supposed to be at least vaguely familiar with the AAP?
One would think so, yes. Sadly such is often not the case.

"What will you do once you know?"
Old 02-12-2006, 02:00 AM

It is sad. But I think many if not most peds push solids earlier than 6 months. Our ped recommended the same for my dd at 4 months. We ignored her then and again when she was so surprised that my dd was 'behind' in having solids at her 5 month appt. We started very slowly at 6 months on organic homemade baby food.

I was and am still so dismayed that they either don't know or don't care about the recommendations to ebf for the first 6 months... ugh...
Old 02-12-2006, 03:20 AM

Yeah, and Pediatrics magazine has just come out with yet ANOTHER study showing very specifically that EBF for 6 months or more - not 4, not 4-6, not well-6-for-some-babies-except-the-big/hungry/developmentally advanced-ones - dramatically decreases the baby's risk for pneumonia and recurrent ear infections, in addition to the previously proven gastrointestinal benefits.

I know this. I am not a Ped. I am a person who has professional curiosity and a child of my own to be concerned about. It's so depressing.
Old 02-12-2006, 08:21 PM

Do all pediatricians belong to the AAP? I'm not sure, but I don't think so- just like not all doctors belong to the AMA. Maybe that would account for some of the misinformation being spewed about.
Old 02-13-2006, 11:32 AM
dis

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Technically, there are two different AAP guidelines - the Breastfeeding section recommends waiting until six months, and the Committee on Nutrition recommends solids between 4-6 months. That's why a lot of peds still say to start solids at 4 months, because AAP hasn't resolved that conflict yet.
Old 02-13-2006, 06:41 PM

Oatmeal is one of the more allergenic grains. Babies shouldn't be fed oatmeal until 9 mos. The order to feed grains is rice only 6-9 mos, then barley, oatmeal, wheat (most allergenic), etc. My 2 yo nephew is allergic to oats. They are in the top 20 food allergies.

Me? I stay away from the wallpaper paste myself, just repeating what I've read.
Old 02-13-2006, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Oatmeal is one of the more allergenic grains. Babies shouldn't be fed oatmeal until 9 mos. The order to feed grains is rice only 6-9 mos, then barley, oatmeal, wheat (most allergenic), etc. My 2 yo nephew is allergic to oats. They are in the top 20 food allergies.
Hey where's this info from? I looked all over for an up to date guide on introducing solids and haven't found anything other than the usual gerber guidelines.
Old 02-13-2006, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendy1221

Me? I stay away from the wallpaper paste myself, just repeating what I've read.
I hadn't ever come across this info on oatmeal either. And FYI it's only in the US and Europe that wheat is the most allergenic grain. Go to Japan, where rice is the worst. Pretty much, whichever grain is most popular in a culture's diet, that's the one more people are allergic to, babies included.

- Krista

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
Old 02-13-2006, 10:05 PM

my ped BRAGGED to me about starting her breastfed dd on solids at 4 months. she reccommends it because in her opinion based on absolutely nothing scientific she feels babies who start solids later become "picky eaters." let that one sit with ya for a while. She mentioned something like "some people are worried about allergies but since we had none in our family I wasn't" and I piped in with "yes, but the more solid food they eat the less breastmilk they get" and she looked a little confused and said no more on the subject.

she's a great ped in other ways; very supportive of my EP'ing, didn't give me a hard time about selective vax, she's pretty crunchy as far as food goes otherwise. When dd had her 6 month appt, she brought it up again and her concern that she may develop a food aversion (really, who started this food aversion BS? ok, I'm sure it *has* happened- but they act like they have hundreds of patients with this problem when actually the vast majority of their patients start solids early and use formula!) I sorta just brushed it off though I wish I'd been a little more informative.

on the more mainstream board I frequent almost every bf baby was fed solids before six months per the ped. advice.

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
Old 02-15-2006, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganf
I hadn't ever come across this info on oatmeal either. And FYI it's only in the US and Europe that wheat is the most allergenic grain. Go to Japan, where rice is the worst. Pretty much, whichever grain is most popular in a culture's diet, that's the one more people are allergic to, babies included.

- Krista
Most of the moms here are from the US or Canada.

I can't remember where I read it, and when I google, I only find the regular start solids at 4 months crap, but when they do allergy testing for the top 16 or so food allergies, oats is always on the list. Wheat is in the top 8. This is all for the U.S. of course. The least allergenic grains in the US are rice, millet, and barley.

Huh, I just did some more googling and now I'm finding a few sites that say oats is one of the least allergenic as well. Weird. You can be allergic to anything, whether a lot of people are allergic to it (making it "more allergenic") or not. If oats is indeed considered one of the least allergenic, why is it so commonly tested for?
Old 02-15-2006, 10:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momtwice
Even if a four month old can sit up, and has lost their tongue thrust, etc. they are still more likely to be ill with infections if they eat solid food vs. babies who start at 6 months, according to the WHO and the AAP.
Oh, I totally agree. It's just that this idiotic ped didn't even tell SIL about the other signs of readiness, you know? If he had, she probably wouldn't feed solids for longer than 6 months. I mean, regardless of when the ped thinks someone should start solids, even if he's going by the other recommendation (and how stupid is that that they haven't changed it?) he should be recommending based also on development.

For that matter, even at the six month mark babies don't become magically ready for solids. It should be like car seats, year old *AND* 20 lbs. Or in this case, 6-months *AND* developmentally ready.

Thanks to everyone for letting me rant, I was able to be very polite about the whole thing by thinking "I'll whine on MDC later, I'll whine on MDC later..."
Old 02-16-2006, 12:03 AM
dis

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan
. I mean, regardless of when the ped thinks someone should start solids, even if he's going by the other recommendation (and how stupid is that that they haven't changed it?) he should be recommending based also on development.
The AAP is by no means consistent on a number of issues - for example, I believe the Breastfeeding section issued a statement disagreeing with the pacifier reducing SIDS/anti-cosleeping stuff that came out recently. The different groups are pretty independent in preparing their recommendations.

User Tag List