Anyone else let down when docs/family/nurses aren't misinformed/rude? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 16 Old 02-17-2006, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OK, I can't be the only one who kind of secretly hopes that someone'll make a rude comment when you're NIP, or the doc/nurse will be surprised that your baby is still BF, so you can use a snappy comeback, and be all outraged?

But NO, all I get is "well, I'd continue to hold off on solids if she's not gaining weight too well - BM is better for her", and "all you can really do to decrease the risk of ear infections is BF, and you're already doing that..".

MAN! They even qualified the recommendation to give acidophilus with antibiotics with "if she'll take anything from a bottle or spoon".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 16 Old 02-17-2006, 08:22 PM

#3 of 16 Old 02-18-2006, 12:08 AM

heehee!! too funny! seriously, that is awesome you have an informed doc!!

#4 of 16 Old 02-18-2006, 01:51 AM

Honestly, yes. I was so surprised when at dd's one year appt. the doc made no mention of quitting nursing. In fact, when I mentioned that dd wasn't into solids and kinda gagged when she swallowed, he looked at her (she was almost 26lbs!) and said "Keep nursing and if she still has the gagging issue in a couple months, we'll look into it. Until then, breastmilk is healthier and obviously doing her well." I was shocked esp. since I chose him because he's been my doc since I was 10. Had no clue how he did with infants, but I gotta say, I love him!

Mama of three.

#5 of 16 Old 02-18-2006, 03:49 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
he-heh-heh...I knw just what you mean! I've been breastfeeding my girl for 2.5 years now, and I've alwyas had a lot of pro-breastfeeding ainfo and comebacks stored away so I can make a good argument if someone objects...

...and in 2.5 years, no one ever has!

Of course, I've gotten a few, "You're still breastfeeding?" and "How LONG will you do that for?" comments. I can tell not everyone agrees with me, but noone ever has been nasty about it, and my pediatrician loves that we still breastfeed.
Hooray!

A couple times I've actually been dissapointed that no one had tried to convince me otherwise, and then I remind myself that this is a good thing!
#6 of 16 Old 02-18-2006, 01:29 PM

That is great you have such a supportive doc! Mine is supportive too. I told the doc at one visit I was doing EC with DS and explained a tiny bit about it. She had seen mothers in Africa doing it when she was there on a medical mission trip, and thought it was neat I was doing it. She had no idea anyone from Western countries did it.

I have gotten funny looks while BF before. I love it when I get a chance to go up to a mom NIP and tell her how great it is to see other moms BF. I did this in a local restaurant once.

Kathryn
#7 of 16 Old 02-19-2006, 12:07 PM

I had to read the title 3 times I thought you meant let down reflex I have felt that way.

Karen and baby joe

Glenn bouncy.gif 11*09 Joe 4*04 peace.gif Me praying.gif & Hubby geek.gif

Quote:

#8 of 16 Old 02-21-2006, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinuviel_k
Of course, I've gotten a few, "You're still breastfeeding?" and "How LONG will you do that for?" comments.
I had ONE "are you still breastfeeding" question, but I misunderstood it - she'd just fallen asleep on the boob at a party, so I said "she's actually asleep now, not feeding any more".

Of course, the person who asked hadn't even realised my boob was out
#9 of 16 Old 02-21-2006, 06:42 PM

Our doc is pretty supportive of nursing and extended nursing, but he's woefully underinformed about the anatomy and care of the intact (normal) penis. He's a bit dangerous in this area.

So my point is watch out! He may be great in this area and not so informed in another! Hate to be the cynic, but we've been disappointed so many times...
#10 of 16 Old 02-22-2006, 12:15 PM

Our ped's wife bfed their son until he was over 3. He's nothing but supportive of me tandeming my munchkins. It's much nicer than our old ped who kept pushing cow's milk on my dd.

Amy, mom to LadyBug, SnuggleBug and StinkBug.  Expecting BabyBug in August 2011.
#11 of 16 Old 02-24-2006, 05:51 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
The last time I got a misinformed dr it wasn't until he walked out of the room that I realized that he was an idiot. I was very sleep deprived and had just spent the night in the hopsital with dd. Poor dh had to deal with me the whole next day once I got my ranting face on. I was walking around the house going, " AND ANOTHER THING DR. MAN....." I vas very dissappointed in myself.
#12 of 16 Old 02-24-2006, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Our doc is pretty supportive of nursing and extended nursing, but he's woefully underinformed about the anatomy and care of the intact (normal) penis. He's a bit dangerous in this area.
Our paed is jewish, with an uncircumcised son. It was then I knew we had to use him, even though my daughter doesn't have a penis.
#13 of 16 Old 02-24-2006, 07:37 PM
Banned

My husband was born and raised in Israel. However, our baby-boy isn't circumcised! His childhood friend who lives in Israel was in total shock because of this.

As for me, I’m so proud to be married to such a wonderful, smart and open-minded guy! !
#14 of 16 Old 02-24-2006, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomorrowsChild
I had to read the title 3 times I thought you meant let down reflex
I'm still laughing about that misread.

Mama to James 4-05 and Leland 7-07, and feeling so privileged to be growing kiddo #3 due in September!
#15 of 16 Old 02-24-2006, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomorrowsChild
I had to read the title 3 times I thought you meant let down reflex I have felt that way.

Karen and baby joe

Me too!
#16 of 16 Old 02-25-2006, 02:51 AM

The only comment I've had was a shocked look from a nurse when I couldn't recall the date of my last period. Then she launched into the "You know youre still fertile" speech and I nodded along. I was sick when DS was 8 months old and the doctor never once suggested weaning - he just prescribed something safe for both us. Weaning wasn't suggested when my son dropped into the 1st percentile for weight, either. And when I get asked, "You're still breastfeeding?" it's a real question, not an implied criticism.

Guess that's what I get for living in the Pacific Northwest.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page