Is it bad to use formula? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 02-13-2003, 10:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm a single mum with two kids. My baby is 5 months old and exclusively breastfed. I nursed my older boy till he was almost 2 and never used formula. The thing is I can't afford a breastpump right now and I really need a bit of a break. For some reason I have never been able to express milk by hand. I'm not sure why it's so uncomfortable for me so it doesn't work. I don't really know much about formula although I do have some as somebody gave it to me for some reason when he was born (Nestle Followup, it's called). Do you think it would be bad to give him some in a bottle for his dad to feed him when I go out once in a while? Are there health risks? Would it make it hard for him to poo? I hope this doesn't sound too dumb I just have never even considered using formula before. Any advice or opinions are appreciated.
#2 of 21 Old 02-13-2003, 11:01 PM

I don't think the occasional use of formula is so bad. I know others may disagree, and feel any formula is a bad thing. As long as its ocasional, I think the baby gets all the benefits of breast milk.

The cost of formula does add up, though. For $48 and no shipping and possibly no tax, you could easily order this manual Medela breast pump:

http://www.babyestore.com/html/manualease.html

Karen Mommy of McKenna 2003 & Alysson 2004 homebirth.jpg Expecting stork-girl.gif an early Christmas Present
#3 of 21 Old 02-13-2003, 11:21 PM

I think that formula your talking about is for babies older than at least 6 mo?
We all need a break now and then.

Milk-based infant formula for babies. 4 months & older, eating cereal & other baby foods.

http://www.drugstore.com/qxp58483_33...nt_formula.htm
#4 of 21 Old 02-13-2003, 11:23 PM

While I wouldn't say formula itself is bad (how it is marketed is another thing entirely) and can be a lifesaver for babies who really need it, I think it is worth considering some of the negatives when making a cost-benefit analysis (which sounds like it is the crux of the problem). Some babies have a difficult time digesting formula and it has been associated with the development of allergies in some babies. It will make your baby's stool smell more unpleasant and spit up from formula also smells bad and stains more than breastmilk. Formula can be expensive. You may be able to borrow a breast pump from a friend and just replace some of the tubes and parts that touch the breast. In some places, your public health department may help you get a breastpump cheap or they may rent it for you. With that said, a child who is primarily breastfed still gets much benefit from the breastmilk they are getting. I know several breastfeeding moms who gave their kids an occasional bottle of formula and in most cases, it did not seem to affect the child or the breastfeeding relationship adversely.

Miriam
Mom to two daughters born in 1997 and 2000
#5 of 21 Old 02-13-2003, 11:23 PM

i don't know how it is in canada, but in the us i think you can borrow a pump for free from wic, or rent one from a hospital. you might check into something like that or see if someone on here has one they might want to give away to a good cause or sell for cheap. good luck!
#6 of 21 Old 02-13-2003, 11:59 PM

Personally, I would never give my baby formula when they can have breastmilk.

As others have pointed out, formula is expensive and after buying a few cans you could have a decent pump. Since you only want a break occaisonally, I recommend the Avent Isis. I have one and I love it.

I've thought of a good analogy for formula: antiobiotics. Antibiotics can save lives, and when they are used appropriately they are wonderful. but the fact that every tom, dick, and harry prescribes them and uses them with every sniffle is BAD. they can cause resistance and that not only harms the person taking them, but it harms all of us b/c those resistant bacteria breed.

likewise, formula can save babies' lives, and for women who honestly cannot breastfeed, formula is a necessity and a godsend. but AFAIC, any woman who has been given the blessing of being able to produce milk for their babies OWES it to their babies to make sure that they receive the very best. someone here once said that breastmilk is every baby's birthright and I believe that to be true. I think it's the saddest thing in the world when a woman chooses to use formula without even trying and just lets that precious milk dry up. makes me almost want to cry for all the women who wanted to breastfeed and couldn't.

use of formula when breastmilk is available contributes to our FF culture, lines the pockets of formula makers and jeopardizes breastfeeding relationships by promoting the idea that it is "just as good".

okay, so maybe I sound a little militant, but I just really don't view formula as anything other than second rate food when compared with breastmilk. I suppose part of my "militant" attitude is b/c when i was preparing for the birth of my daughter, I knew I could find myself in several situations where formula would be pressed upon me, and I had to take the opinion that it was Junk Food in order to be sure I never succumbed to that temptation in the "darker moment's (fortunately it all went smoothly and I never was tempted).

anyways, back to you ! (sorry!)....can you ask the baby's father to help you buy an Isis pump? I mean, it would be to his benefit b/c then he could feed your child and take off without you around. and who would pay for the formula anyways?

whew...sorry for the soapbox rant!

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#7 of 21 Old 02-14-2003, 12:24 AM - Thread Starter

well it's wierd because someone left this huge tub of powdered formula along with a couple baby things hanging from my door around christmas time. i had a lot of people helping me out around then as i'd just recently become single. i don't know who it is from though but it looks like a life-time supply!! I really hope to get an avent-isis pump. I check the trading post religiously--so far no luck. Unfortunately, 50$ is impossible for me right now and their dad hasn't given me a penny in months. I'll keep trying for the pump, my planned night out isn't untill March 21 so hopefully between now and then... I'm not talking about weening my baby or anything just maybe the odd bottle once a month or so at most...I dunno, I'm confused
#8 of 21 Old 02-14-2003, 12:29 AM

I see you are in BC. Me, too. I'm in Vancouver. Where are you?

Maybe I can help you out...PM me, okay?

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#9 of 21 Old 02-14-2003, 01:00 AM

i have never breastfed, personally, but i did read a lot and have friends that do.

it is supply and demand.

if you decrease the demand your supply should decrease as well.

so, id try to avoid it as much as possible. i would think one bottle a week might not do much, but a lot would decrease your supply, which it does not sound like that is what you want.
#10 of 21 Old 02-14-2003, 06:55 PM

Every mom has to make the decision that is best for her family. I know you know your breastmilk is the best for your baby. Formula is 4th (or 5th) best. BUT, you are a single, probably overworked, over stressed mother, right? If it would make you a better mother to get out once a month, to nurture yourself and have a little break, you do what you have to do. That big free tub of ABM must look like a tempting compromise.

There are risks to just one bottle of ABM. Ideally, you will find a free or inexpensive, but good quality, pump. I know WIC moms can get Medela electic pumps for free. Not sure about the personal kit. Are you on WIC? Oh, you are Canadian? Is there a Canadian counterpart? (WIC is for women, infants and children, a food program for low income families.)

Are you in LLL? Often, LLL moms sell used pumps.

So you are a single mom, staying at home, not working and pumping?
#11 of 21 Old 02-14-2003, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, I am a stay-at-home single mum. I take a course two mornings a week but the child care is right across the hall so if I hear my baby crying I just go and nurse him. I'm on welfare right now. I heard there's a way to make your own formula. Do you know anything about that?
#12 of 21 Old 02-14-2003, 11:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I you are intrested in getting an Isis I would check on e-bay. i saw them there the other day for about $10.

If you feel you need formula though then don't feel guilty. Your life seems tobe really stressful right now.

Also another thing about getting a pump. You said someone left you a lot of formula? If it is unopened could you maybe cash it in at walmart and then use the money to buy a pump. They will take anything back 6 cans will get you an Avant isis.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#13 of 21 Old 02-15-2003, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

good ideas lilyka, thanks!
#14 of 21 Old 02-15-2003, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks CK's mama I agree and have decided not to bother with it afterall.
#15 of 21 Old 02-15-2003, 03:00 PM

I bought my avent isis from ebay for around $20US dollars, but mine also came with 4 of the disposable liner bottles and like 10-12 caps and rings to go with the bottles. I only used mine occassionally in fact ds was almost 13mo when I bought a good pump. So I guess I can either give it away or resell it in the future if we don't have anymore kids soon! As far as cleaning it I just boiled all of the parts when I got the pump.

take your time though sometimes they can get expensive on ebay especially if the pump has lots of extras or is really new!
#16 of 21 Old 02-15-2003, 04:54 PM

Just wanted to add....that breastfed babies don't usually like formula the first time they try it. It tastes pretty bad, compared to the sweet taste of breastmilk...so he may refuse to eat while you're out, because he's not used to taste and smell of formula. I know this is a moot point anyways, since you've decided against it

Mom to two boys, 7 and 10.  Expecting 3rd boy any day now with DH (his first).

#17 of 21 Old 02-16-2003, 03:05 AM

good for you, and i hope you have a bit less stress (btdt- we used the occasional bottle with my dd who is 16 when she was at grandma's etc, because i was too chicken to have handed breastmilk to that awful woman- plus like you, no pump. it didn't affect my supply, but i wish i hadn't just the same.)

there was a study on a link i read at militantbreastfeedingcult.com, that mentioned what exactly that 'occasional' bottle did to an infant's digestive system, and it was not good (i'll try to find it, or maybe someone here has seen it?)

btw, my ameda (from walmart, i think) cost what- 20 bucks? and it is a hand pump- not awesome, but if i massage my breast i can get a letdown & fill it- sometimes it takes 10 minutes, sometimes 2 hours (off & on! lol) depends on when i nursed last etc. it is worth the effort to have a few bags in the freezer.

suse
#18 of 21 Old 02-16-2003, 03:16 AM

yeah, well, i wouldn't worry about giving a bottle or two here and there. i gave my baby occasional bottles and she was just fine. i also got the avent isis pump and it worked really well for us. i mostly used it in the begining because my breasts are large, and i wasn't comfortable bf-ing in public because i had to "see" what i was doing. that was during the first couple of months, and then we never touched the pump again. i just nursed, and when she hit about 9 months i went back to school and so she would get a bottle of formula a day. if you want to give occasional bottles, i would recommend getting the individual packets of formula (they make 4 oz each) because formula spoils quickly after opening. i bought one package of enfamil packets and we enver did get through the whole box. i totally agree about those formula companies and their marketing being absolutely disgusting.

Emily
#19 of 21 Old 02-16-2003, 04:54 PM

Do you have a WIC office near you. You can get a breastpump from them
#20 of 21 Old 02-16-2003, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by suseyblue

there was a study on a link i read at militantbreastfeedingcult.com, that mentioned what exactly that 'occasional' bottle did to an infant's digestive system, and it was not good (i'll try to find it, or maybe someone here has seen it?)
Just one bottle

I'm Andrea - I have three boys - 12 year old twins & an 11 year old

#21 of 21 Old 02-17-2003, 02:14 AM

Thank you!

Suse

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page