How often should my 7 month old be nursing?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 02-16-2003, 12:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dd is 7 1/2 months now and she does solids some of the time, but not always.
She is nursing for longer periods of time and less often, but all in all, it doesn't seem like she is nursing very much.
Should I be concerned that she isn't getting enough??
She only poos every few days, but that started before she begun to nurse less...........

Any advice would be appreciated....

Chris Mama of J, A, C and M
Surromama of four
#2 of 6 Old 02-16-2003, 02:14 AM

My DD is 7 months. She nurses alot in the hour or two before waking, she often feeds about an hour or two after waking, before her morning nap. After that, I've noticed that she doesn't nurse that much for the rest of the day. Maybe once or twice until evening. Then she begins to nurse alot more in the evening, preparing for bedtime.

She doesn't eat solids yet, not interested.

I would not worry. Just look at what you would have before...sufficient wet diapers during the day, happy and healthy and alert, reaching developmental milestones, not losing weight, etc. If everything else is fine, just relax and TRUST in your body!

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#3 of 6 Old 02-16-2003, 10:52 PM

My ds is almost 7 months old. He now eats solids one time a day and in a 24 hour period nurses usually only 5 times. He seems happy so he must be full. He only poops every once every 3-5 days too.
#4 of 6 Old 02-17-2003, 12:09 PM
Banned

I WOH, so 7 mo. doesn't eat much during the day--dh offers him bottles of ebm but ds likes to wait for me--so he eats voraciously in the evening and night when I am home.
#5 of 6 Old 02-17-2003, 01:32 PM

My DD is 8 months old and eats quite sporadically actually. Some days I forget to give her her solids and I'll just nurse her a lot. But on a good day she'll get:

Morning:
Cereal and Banana

Afternoon:
Veggie and a Fruit

Evening
Veggie and Fruit

How much Olivia nurses in a given day, I really couldn't tell you. It's a lot that's for sure. She nurses at night too.
#6 of 6 Old 02-17-2003, 07:04 PM

My baby turned 4 months old today. He nurses about every 3 hours during the day - but at night he seems to "cluster feed" when he is fussier and preparing to go down to bed at night. I think you should just be sure your baby seems happy. Offer him/her the breast more often if you think he/she isn't eating enough. At 7 months, I'm sure he/she is pretty efficient at nursing in a shorter time period.
Leslie in MD

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page