Psoriatic Arthritis, Medication and Breastfeeding - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 04-25-2006, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a dear friend who is due to have a baby this summer. She suffers terribly from Psoriatic Arthritis. She has it in almost every joint in her body. I can't remember the name of the medication she takes, but it's safe to take while pregnant (after the first trimester).....however, it hasn't been tested on lactating animals enough to allow BFing mothers to take it. My friend HAS to take the medication...there is no way around it. Without it, she's bed ridden and her knees fill with fluid, her psoriasis covers her whole body (almost every crack and crevice...including her private parts). She wants to BF SOOOOO bad....does anybody have ANY information for alternatives for her....medical information, maybe somebody here is in the same boat....something...anything...my heart aches for her.
----------------------------

ACK!! I just realized I posted this in Lactivism...can a MOD please move this to the proper forum?
#2 of 9 Old 04-30-2006, 11:12 PM

Do you know what medication she's on? I understand about having to be on the medication - I truly cannot function without my rheumatoid arthritis drugs.

Some arthritis meds are truly unsafe for breastfeeding, but others are ok. Has she checked Dr. Hale's book/website?

I hope she can find a solution that works for her and her baby.
#3 of 9 Old 05-03-2006, 12:59 AM

Is it Enbrel? That's one my derm would be willing to put me on while still nursing. It's not bioavailable orally, so it's really not a bad bet.
#4 of 9 Old 05-03-2006, 01:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monie
Do you know what medication she's on? I understand about having to be on the medication - I truly cannot function without my rheumatoid arthritis drugs.

Some arthritis meds are truly unsafe for breastfeeding, but others are ok. Has she checked Dr. Hale's book/website?

I hope she can find a solution that works for her and her baby.
Oh wow!!! Thank you for responding!! Can you send me a link so I can forward it to her?

M&A: I don't know if that's what she's taking...but the name rings a bell. I will mention to her that your Derm recommended it to you. Maybe she will be able to find out more info from a Derm.
Thank you ladies for responding...I *REALLY* appreciate it!
#5 of 9 Old 05-03-2006, 02:09 AM

Dr. Hale's website: http://www.worldadoptions.org/specialdelivery/index.ph There is a medications forum that you can check.

I'm also on Enbrel - my doctor told me that it's ok to be on while ttc/pregnant, and that on the record she can't tell me it's ok to take while nursing, but off the record she would try it herself. (we were unsuccessful at ttc before we decided to adopt.)
#6 of 9 Old 05-03-2006, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monie
Dr. Hale's website: http://www.worldadoptions.org/specialdelivery/index.ph There is a medications forum that you can check.

I'm also on Enbrel - my doctor told me that it's ok to be on while ttc/pregnant, and that on the record she can't tell me it's ok to take while nursing, but off the record she would try it herself. (we were unsuccessful at ttc before we decided to adopt.)
You are an ANGEL!!! Thank you!
#7 of 9 Old 05-04-2006, 12:11 AM - Thread Starter

GREAT NEWS LADIES!!!! Monie: the link you provided didn't work, BUT I googled the Dr's name and found a great deal of information. My friend printed out a few pages from the web site I found, and brought them to her OB He read over it, and gave her approval to BF!!! He said Enbrel is a class B drug like Tylenol...so it's safe to take while bfing.
Thanks again ladies! I'm so happy for Genny, and she feels such a weight has been lifted off of her shoulders.
#8 of 9 Old 05-04-2006, 12:41 AM

sorry the link was messed up, but I'm glad your friend got good news!
#9 of 9 Old 07-27-2006, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter

Well...my friend had her baby, and she nursed her for 2 weeks. Her ped said that if she wanted what was best for her baby, she would not risk getting Enbrel in her system by bfing, and that she needs to switch to formula. I think the poor advice from her ped, and the fact that bfing was agonizingly painful for her, she gave in without a fight. She cried...is glad that she at least recieved 2 weeks worth of BM. I JUST found out today. I wish I would've known tht she was going to make that decision...I might have been able to talk her out of it.
Thank again ladies...for taking the time to give me the info for her in the first place.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page