Most irritating excuses! Make a list! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-06-2006, 06:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've heard the "it's too hard" excuse. What was different about this time, was the woman was watching me fill, attached, use and explain the SNS. After I'm done filling, attaching, using and explaining she says, "I tried to BF but it was too hard so I quit." Oh yea, I can totally identify......:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2006, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyInfidel

I won't nurse because I work in a tanning salon and I tan and I don't want to nuke my milk.
Old 05-06-2006, 06:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveblessings
Are these for real??
Yes...they were
Old 05-06-2006, 09:03 PM

I'm really very sorry...I didn't mean to make light of anyones experinces, I guess it's just that I've heard several mama's on here speak of their abuse and they bf'ed and I know two other people who were molested and they bf...and I only know of one who couldn't because of their abuse...out of the probably close to 10 or more that could...I guess I was just confused by that. I'm really very sorry...

Renae wife to J :, Mama to 4.5y/o J-bird and 2y/o A : and E coming in late Dec/Early Jan. My husband had a living donor kidney transplant! :
Old 05-06-2006, 10:15 PM

Let's see, the stupid reasons I've heard:

1) My milk was too thin.

2) (from my own darn mother regarding myself as a newborn) Well, I tried to for less than a week, but somebody had given me a whole case of Enfamil as a gift, and that was really just as good, so I just stopped.

3) (my own grandmother, who bf'ed my mom till age 3 years.) Well, my milk dried up for the your aunt and uncle. I stopped making milk. (Heard the good ole milk drying up from several people, clueless about growth spurts.)

4) my breasts felt empty.

5) He was getting too greedy.

6) "Well, I was going to but I decided to start later, and just never did. " () "When did you start breastfeeding him?" I was like, "Um, it's kinda best if you start as soon as he is born." And she was like "Oh."
The undereducation in that area where she lives is sad.

7) (my own sister) I wanted to let my other daughter and my husband to be able to feed him too.

8) (same sister) nuh-uh, see, I ain't got time for all that, I got's to go out there and make MY MONEY. (poor dn has the most horrible case of eczema I have ever seen, and was miserable the first few months of his life.)

There are so many more that I forget the rest.

Oh and for the "we didn't breastfeed cause we circumcised" excuse,

Circumcision can make babies fall into deeper sleeps (sort of a like a kind of shock situation, the body is causing the baby to sleep deeper to escape the pain.) It is harder to rouse them to nurse, they are sleepier. Also it is harder to hold them closer to and get them into proper position to nurse because they are in pain. (I.e., his belly should be tucked in close to you, and he's not comfortable like this because of his circumcision wound.) This is what I've read, anyway, that there is a corelation between circumcision and failed nursing relationships. However, I have no personal knowledge, as my little man is intact.

However, I do know women who circumcised () and still were able to nurse for several months.
Old 05-07-2006, 01:04 AM

My DS is circ'ed and nursed just fine when they brought him back to me (FTR, I was uneducated about circ, I regret it deeply) and he is still nursing strong today.

Renae wife to J :, Mama to 4.5y/o J-bird and 2y/o A : and E coming in late Dec/Early Jan. My husband had a living donor kidney transplant! :
Old 05-07-2006, 01:28 AM

Hmm, my "excuse" was flat nipples, c-section(which I did NOT want), not seeing my son for 2.5 hours after he was born(which, I know, doesn't make much difference), not having the support I needed and not having the confidence to believe that we could do it. And DS had a lazy latch. He never really latched on very well and we tried for 3 days in the hospital and several days after we got home. I did EP for 6 months, but had to stop b/c I was going insane from PPD and stress, etc.. It just got to be too much. I really wish I would have tried harder to BF.. And since I had a breast reduction 5.5 months ago, I'm not sure what will happen in the future(yes, I know that people can bf after a br)...

Janice, car seat tech, wife to M since 7/99, mom to C since 4/02 and S since 12/09
Old 05-07-2006, 01:44 AM

Really, my frustration isn't so much aimed at the mamas who honestly tried and couldn't make it because of lack of support or education. What really gets my ire up is the pregnant moms-to-be who say "No way. Not even going to try." Now, I've come along way to reach that point, because when I was little bit more immature in my mothering and I fought tooth and nail to keep breastfeeding despite the common problems of sore nipples and no sleep and a babe who wanted to nurse every 45 for 30 minutes round the clock, being a single mom working two jobs (and later going to night school), I was rather snotty in my approach to women who didn't seem to try hard enough in my book. I can honestly say that I have matured and realize that not everyone has the determination and support (Thank you, Mom!!) to keep going. I can never look down on another woman for giving it HER best shot and then doing what she feels is best for her and her baby. However, I have not matured enough to curb my snottiness towards the women who never consider giving it the good old college try.

Wifey to Hubby, Mama to Boy (2004) and Girl (2009). 
Old 05-07-2006, 04:02 AM

My OB told me it was okay to quit because I got mastitis twice.

In the hospital I was also told that I had flat nipples - I didn't at all!

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
Old 05-07-2006, 04:54 AM

"I didn't want to fail, so I thought I wouldn't try"

:
Old 05-07-2006, 05:45 AM

"its gross/unnatural/etc"
Old 05-07-2006, 12:00 PM

I guess I'd rather women just say "I don't want to." period, end of subject, rather than making up some stupid excuse "My mom could bf so my dr said I probably won't be able to." or "Baby wasn't gaining enough." or "He wanted to nurse every hour and the dr/nurse/person of medical authority said I wasn't making enough milk." Especially when they use those 'excuses' around mama's to be...that just plants a see of doubt, kwim? It just makes these mama' to be think that "Oh, it's very common for people to fail so I might also." and then they go into it with an attitude that nursing is so difficult (I realize for some it is) and are so ready to believe they will fail also that their efforts are sabatoged before they even begin.

Old 05-07-2006, 03:25 PM

OK,
I have a slightly different perspective. I too find it infuriating when moms don't even try to nurse, but as a mama with low-supply who has to supplement my twins and has gone through alot to keep our nursing relationship going, I feel lots of pressure to give an excuse when I bottlefeed in public. Sometimes I just want to give a "sound bite" excuse rather than go into the whole story yet again. To some it might sound like, "I don't make enough milk, " and sound pretty unlikely and lame, but it's the simplest explanation I can give without going on and on about my hypoplastic left breast, low-storage capacity...blah, blah, blah.

I know MDC can be a "safe" place to vent about the idiocy we see in the rest of the world and I won't begrudge y'all that, but in real life I hope the judgement I see here is at least well-masked.

Trying to get my bearings...
Old 05-07-2006, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie'sMom
OK,
I have a slightly different perspective. I too find it infuriating when moms don't even try to nurse, but as a mama with low-supply who has to supplement my twins and has gone through alot to keep our nursing relationship going, I feel lots of pressure to give an excuse when I bottlefeed in public. Sometimes I just want to give a "sound bite" excuse rather than go into the whole story yet again. To some it might sound like, "I don't make enough milk, " and sound pretty unlikely and lame, but it's the simplest explanation I can give without going on and on about my hypoplastic left breast, low-storage capacity...blah, blah, blah.

I know MDC can be a "safe" place to vent about the idiocy we see in the rest of the world and I won't begrudge y'all that, but in real life I hope the judgement I see here is at least well-masked.
Personally, I try very hard not to judge people. I know that rampant miseducation regarding breastfeeding exists in this area. It is not the mother's fault over something she just didn't know and no one thought it was important enough to teach her.

Most people don't even realize I breastfeed because I don't really go around bragging about it or anything. I feel like it's nothing to brag about, really, it's just what comes natural for me and my kid.

But once some people see me commence to wordlessly pull out my breast, they start to babbling the lamest excuses I have ever heard. What I don't understand is why some women think they owe me personally an explaination as to why they didn't/couldn't/wouldn't breastfeed their kids just because they happen to see me breastfeeding mine.
Old 05-08-2006, 12:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabysmom617
But once some people see me commence to wordlessly pull out my breast, they start to babbling the lamest excuses I have ever heard. What I don't understand is why some women think they owe me personally an explaination as to why they didn't/couldn't/wouldn't breastfeed their kids just because they happen to see me breastfeeding mine.
Guilt.

Tamara: hs'ing Christian mom of five here and five in Heaven. Joyfully awaiting Punkin, coming mid-Sept!
Old 05-08-2006, 07:07 AM

"I breast fed ds for 4 months and then he bit me and that was the end of that!" My m-i-l who only breast fed her eldest for 4 months and none of her other children.
"I don't want a kid hanging off my boob" My mother. Uhhh thanks mom?:
"My milk was sour" My aunt
"I was a nervous mother" Another aunt
"My milk was too waterry when I expessed it" aqaintence
"I wanted my body back"
"Breast fed babies just aren't as happy as ff babies. They want the boob all the time!"
" I want to be able to leave my baby"
"I am not going to flop out my boob for all to see!"
"My husband wouldn't let me"
Old 05-08-2006, 10:25 AM

As mentioned above, some of the stupidest excuses aren't the mother's fault, but come from 'experts'. For example, I've heard:

"My doctor told me redheads tend to have a hard time nursing."

"A nurse said you have to prepare your nipples from at least the second trimester, and I didn't find that out in time."

"My social worker told me it would be a bad idea, because I'd get too attached and never get back to school or work and just sit around on welfare." (From a teenaged mother)

"The pediatrician said my baby was growing too fast for breastmilk to keep up."

On the subject of being judgemental, etc. - I'm always very careful to avoid making comments about formula feeding. I never even ask questions about it - none of my business. But let's be fair. How often are nursing mothers called 'cows' or mothers nursing in public described as 'disgusting'? How many articles have come out recently complaining about 'Nursing Nazis' and the 'naturing mothering cult' trying to throw their weight around? By comparison, how many bottle-feeding mothers have been asked to leave a public place? How often is a woman refused service at a restaurant because she gives her baby a pacifier at the table, or told if she wants to feed her baby that bottle she'd better go into a bathroom stall? Can't we get away with a little comeback, especially here where it's completely harmless? :
Old 05-08-2006, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama8
"Breast fed babies just aren't as happy as ff babies. They want the boob all the time!"
Funny...that's what MAKES my DD so happy!!

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
Old 05-08-2006, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabadger
But let's be fair. How often are nursing mothers called 'cows' or mothers nursing in public described as 'disgusting'? How many articles have come out recently complaining about 'Nursing Nazis' and the 'naturing mothering cult' trying to throw their weight around? By comparison, how many bottle-feeding mothers have been asked to leave a public place? How often is a woman refused service at a restaurant because she gives her baby a pacifier at the table, or told if she wants to feed her baby that bottle she'd better go into a bathroom stall? Can't we get away with a little comeback, especially here where it's completely harmless? :

And...WTH about the redheads...OMG...LOL!!!!!

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
Old 05-08-2006, 11:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
From a co-worker-"I'll only breastfeed my girls, not my son. If this baby (she is pg) is a boy he'll be bottle fed" she thinks its akin to molestation

From another co-worker-"I weaned my ds because I felt like a cow. I mean, I could pump 6oz out of each side" (God knows how many women would be green with envy to be able to do that, myself included!)

Another co-worker-"My girls were both lactose intolerant"

My brothers girlfriend- "I tried it once with my first child, and it hurt too much so I'm not even going to try to breastfed dear nephew"

student/sahm to three awesome girls who are always on the go!
Old 05-08-2006, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey Mama!
From a co-worker-"I'll only breastfeed my girls, not my son. If this baby (she is pg) is a boy he'll be bottle fed" she thinks its akin to molestation
what, she doesn't think she will turn her daughter lesbian??

a friend of mine used to be friends with a lady that had twins, a boy and a girl. she refused to breastfeed the boy twin. she ebf the girl and gave formula to the boy. :
Old 05-08-2006, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatterbrainedmom
what, she doesn't think she will turn her daughter lesbian??

a friend of mine used to be friends with a lady that had twins, a boy and a girl. she refused to breastfeed the boy twin. she ebf the girl and gave formula to the boy. :
I have run into this line of thinking a lot! I don't get it....But, you know I only have girls so I don't know what it's like //sarcasm//

student/sahm to three awesome girls who are always on the go!
Old 05-08-2006, 12:54 PM

I have one that I heard this weekend that just made me so sad I wanted to cry.

"At 2 months, DD just kept touching my face so I had to give her a bottle to get her to leave me alone. Eventually she was able to hold her own bottle, and I didn't even have to hold her. (chuckle chuckle chuckle)"

I just remember when DS at the same age would reach up in wonder and touch my face with such love and trust in his eyes. I respected the effort that took him at that age. I can't imagine being irritated because my baby was touching me ....

I blog traditional foods and Weston A Price at Nourished Kitchen. See my healthy recipes.
Old 05-08-2006, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbunny
"At 2 months, DD just kept touching my face so I had to give her a bottle to get her to leave me alone."

I just remember when DS at the same age would reach up in wonder and touch my face with such love and trust in his eyes. I respected the effort that took him at that age. I can't imagine being irritated because my baby was touching me ....
I so agree! That one just brought tears to my eyes.
Old 05-08-2006, 01:35 PM

Quote:
"At 2 months, DD just kept touching my face so I had to give her a bottle to get her to leave me alone. Eventually she was able to hold her own bottle, and I didn't even have to hold her. (chuckle chuckle chuckle)"
OMG.
And that is the end of my comment as the rest violates the UA... :

Old 05-08-2006, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGrrl
I'm not a frequent poster here and probably won't be welcomed back after saying this, but geez, ladies, this is one mean-spirited thread. Instead of getting all high and mighty about other mother's excuses for not breastfeeding, how about some thoughtful responses to those excuses that might help moms make better choices for themselves and their babies? People accuse the media of creating the "Mommy Wars," but here it is, in black and white, produced by and for mothers themselves.
Yeah that! And how is this lactivism?

I'm a firm believer that people are products of their environments. Our environment doesn't support breasts being used for what they were meant for and doesn't support motherhood!

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
Old 05-08-2006, 02:30 PM

Quote:
I have one that I heard this weekend that just made me so sad I wanted to cry.

OMG.
That just made me so sad...Even though I ff, I try to lean Evan into me, and he does that now - his little hands play with my hands, and sometimes he'll put his hands near my face. I can't imagine ever trying to get my son to NOT touch me. WTH do people have kids for, if they don't want to be touched by their own child.
There really is no sweeter feeling than those tiny lil hands.

Working at home, tattoo'd, metalhead momma - homeschooling Evan (1.22.'06) and Abigail (8.2.'08) fencing.gif , and happy partner to Kyle jammin.gif . 
Old 05-08-2006, 03:19 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Oh, I so wish there was better information out there for women who want to breastfeed! I think that probably a good number of these women actually believed the mis-information that kept them from nursing their babies! Poor things!

I do know what it feels like to be on the other side of the fence. My daughter was a premie with lots of feeding troubles, didn't get her to latch on until she was 7 weeks old.... then I went back to work and back to school full time and tried to pump the whole time. Well, it didn't work out for us, between nipple confusion and poor supply (due to not pumping often enough and not getting her on the breast enough in the evenings when I was home) we weaned when she was right about 6 months old. Now I can look back and see that if I had just reached out and gotten some help from other mothers who had been there and done that, things could have really been different! Sometimes it is so overwhelming to be a mama and trying to really do the best thing for your kid when you feel like you have no one who will back you up. My second kid I made sure I had the support and I was a WAHM by then as well and we are still nursing now. What a difference support and correct information can make!!! Because of my experience, I try hard to not judge the "Excuses" because I know for most of these women, they don't see these as excuses, but as their truth. My MIL and I have had many discussions about it as she didn't breastfeed my husband for more than a few weeks.... first she told me all about milk supply problems, but then it came out that her ped had recommended a schedule and time limit.... well, that would be a good reason why she ended up with supply issues. Then also it came out that her own mother (who lived next door and was her only help with the kids) didn't want her to nurse either. So, poor support mixed with bad information led to a situation that just didn't work out. She now has changed her story from "no milk" to "maybe if I would have known better and had some sort of support system it would have worked and we could have gone a bit longer" I agree with that fully. I really think this is the story with most women who make "Excuses"

I do have to admit though, I was cracking up over the oral sex excuse... that is hilarious

Erika, mama to three beautiful kids (plus one gestating), and wife to one fantastic man.

Old 05-08-2006, 04:23 PM

My grandmother told me she could not bf because she "couldn't hold the milk". She said "It would just leak out, so there wasn't any left for the baby" She was probably full and overflowing with milk! So her babies got evaporated milk instead. :
Old 05-08-2006, 06:00 PM

Thank You for posting these 'reasons' for not BF'ing. It helped to support me. Before this list was renamed Lactivism it was called Breastfeeding Advocacy and Support. It is a place where I feel supported.

So many fff moms have accosted me with their 'reasons' for why they made a different choice. They have also told me appropriate behaviour which means do it like bottle moms. They have flocked to my posts and said eeew.

This thread has helped me make sense of why they need a 'reason' and why they need me to nod my head after they state it.

User Tag List