Medical people make me sick!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 03-03-2003, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
...And I am one! I have EBF all my kids, still nursing the littlest one... 17 months. I pump at work at least once in 12 hours usually twice. You would think I spent half my shift in there pumping. And the remarks!!!!
I don't work L&D or postpartem (thank god) so it could be that like most things in the medical field, no one knows what they don't work at, but still!
I was working in the ER and I went to pump and my tech says..."oh you have a new baby." I said "No he is 17 months" And she actually said (by the way she is almost finished with nursing school, so she has done L&D) "See that is GROSS! I think that you should have to do that in the bathroom" I wasn't even doing it at the nurses station, I was doing it in the staff break area. Now first off as I am sure everyone knows, Hospitals are DIRTY! And so are the bathrooms! Why on earth would I get food for my baby in a bathroom.
And she isn't the first person who has given me crap about this, she is just the most recent.
"Your STILL nursing!?" I get this all the freaking time! I just want to scream! I HATE being a nurse! I hate our countriesmessed idea of morality and what is right and wrong, in the medical world!
I did tell her (in a nice voice) she could leave if it bothered her, and I would be done soon. (I mean it takes me maybe 10 minutes) I honestly get this crap from people who take 5-8 smoking breaks a shift for at least 10 minutes a piece! Plus they have their 30 minute lunch break too!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 22 Old 03-03-2003, 03:21 PM

I am sorry!

I am an ER nurse, and what i do to advocate breastfeeding is to "cover" the nurse while she goes and pumps. another nurse, her dh brings the baby in to nurse. its so funny now, because of all the "grief" these mama'sget they come to me to "cover" them so then can pump, and "no one will know" what they are doing. is that sad or what? my one collegue still pumps for her 23 mo old, so she is "deep in the closet". (but its okm for another nurse to give her 3 yr old a BOTTLE WITH PEPSI in it! gag me.

they go to the doctors room where they sleep. quiet, with a lock on the door, and cleaner than any other room.
#3 of 22 Old 03-03-2003, 08:14 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

That is so .

I don't suppose responding to the student with "Oh, I see they're still teaching formula company propanganda instead of facts about breastfeeding in nursing school" would help either, would it?

Maybe pointing out the shear hours of time going up in smoke would put some perspective on the issue, at least if any higher ups hassle you.

"What will you do once you know?"
#4 of 22 Old 03-03-2003, 09:25 PM

When I read the title of this thread, I thought, "Oh, oh, there are more than a few medical people who frequent these boards. I hope that their feelings won't be hurt."

Guess I needn't have worried.

Anyway, I too am shocked by the attitude towards breastfeeding in the nursing profession.

My aunt is a nurse. She wouldn't bf her children, and now her children won't bf. So weird.
#5 of 22 Old 03-03-2003, 09:48 PM

I have seen so many nurses standing outside the back door of a hospital smoking: You would think they they of anybody would know better. But yet they think bf ing sick or gross.

Our medical system needs a good overhauling, though its better then most countries.
#6 of 22 Old 03-03-2003, 09:54 PM

Oh my! I would have been pissed! I'm angry just reading it.

Being a 'medical person' I was curious to see what this thread was all about. I expect to get some flack and difficulties when I return to my job. I am not sure how I will handle it exactly, as my profession doesn't have a definition for 'break', but luckily the manager is a smoker and I am told she takes several 'breaks' during the day. If she is entitiled to go try and shorten her life throughout her 12 hour shifts, then I am allowed to do what I need to to nourish my child, right?

I would make sure your tech receives some educational literature about breatfeeding and breastfeeding rights.

I hope I don't offend too many nurses out there, I know there are great nurses and not so great nurses... Like every profession so I shouldn't stereotype........

but, I often find they tend to be the most opinionated, yet ignorant people when it comes to medical/health issues, especially involving childbrith and child raising. I had a friend who works in peds tell me 'oh you're going to want to get that epidural! Don't let people con you into that natural BS! It hurts!'

'Uh thanks' I said politely and tuned her out...

Karen Mommy of McKenna 2003 & Alysson 2004 homebirth.jpg Expecting stork-girl.gif an early Christmas Present
#7 of 22 Old 03-04-2003, 11:44 AM

Quote:
but, I often find they tend to be the most opinionated, yet ignorant people when it comes to medical/health issues,
uh, that sounds more like my patients than me (i am an ER nurse).
Quote:
'Uh thanks' I said politely and tuned her out...
again, it sounds alot like the typical ER patient, "frequent flyer"

Quote:
I hope I don't offend too many nurses out there,
:
#8 of 22 Old 03-04-2003, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

I don't find this stuff offensive.( I am a nurse, I have been one going on 9 years) and over that amount of time I have run into more ignorant, and bullying people.
The only time I haven't run into crap about ebf was when I worked in the county hospitals L&D. We had midwives and rooming in and where VERY big on bf. It was great. But EVERY where else... and I have worked at 3 other hospitals and lots of different departments it is the same. "You STILL are pumping?, I don't get it. MY doctor told me I couldn't nurse, not enough milk ducts. I gotta go on a smoke break... be back in 10 minutes"
I don't know, but I am thinking that the nursing prof. must have a calling to people who are lacking milk ducts.
I think the whole way nurses are taught causes this kind of behavior.
That all being said... I think I will get some info printed up and hand it out to my fellow nurses and techs if I get any crap from them in the futre!

HEATHER H

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

#9 of 22 Old 03-04-2003, 02:58 PM

Quote:
I don't know, but I am thinking that the nursing prof. must have a calling to people who are lacking milk ducts.
:LOL
#10 of 22 Old 03-04-2003, 03:38 PM

One thing a nurse said to me when Riley was in the NICU...

(I pumped like a maniac for her) I was holding Riley and chatting with the nurse holding the baby next to her. She was giving him a bottle of EBM. He spat it up on her and she *freaked out* "OMG this is sooo gross!!! this is BREAST MILK" I was really surprised, because breast milk spit up is WAY less gross in my opinion than formula spit up, which stinks to high heaven and stains like a beast.

I was like, "well at least it's not formula...that smells worse" and she said, "NO, BREAST MILK IS THE WORST!!!! So gross!!!"

She has no kids, but I was still stunned at her take on things.....the only thing I could think of was that her training has instilled a fear of body fluids in her??? :
#11 of 22 Old 03-04-2003, 04:06 PM

Quote:
the only thing I could think of was that her training has instilled a fear of body fluids in her???
i would agree. as someone who has breastfed, i know that bm spit up is not as stinky as formula, but when i handle bottled breastmilk in the ER, i wear gloves. its called Universal Precautions.....my take on it is "if its wet, and not mine, then i wear gloves". as a wife and mom, i can never be too safe.
#12 of 22 Old 03-04-2003, 04:52 PM

My apologies for stereotyping nurses sweetbaby. Most of my contact with medical personell is nurses, so perhaps that is why it appears this way to me.

Quote:
I am a nurse, I have been one going on 9 years) and over that amount of time I have run into more ignorant, and bullying people.
Its probably medical professions more than any particular one.

They believe their knowledge is infalible at times and won't consider that perhaps maybe there is more to learn/a better way/new evidence supporting a different alternative etc.. Then again some are just power tripping bullies

If I interacted with other medical professionals more often I'd probably find they're just as ignorant, misinformed, and opinionated in general, as well.

There is definitely someting wrong with they way this entire country practices and teaches medicine, but we all here already knew that, right?

Karen Mommy of McKenna 2003 & Alysson 2004 homebirth.jpg Expecting stork-girl.gif an early Christmas Present
#13 of 22 Old 03-04-2003, 05:13 PM

Quote:
If I interacted with other medical professionals more often I'd probably find they're just as ignorant, misinformed, and opinionated in general, as well.
i agree with you. but as a "medical professional, i find that my patients are often ignorant, misinformed & opinionated, therefore increasing their hostilty towards me/us.

Quote:
There is definitely someting wrong with they way this entire country practices and teaches medicine, but we all here already knew that, right?
ITA! there has to be some sort of happy medium between the "infalliabilty", "alternative practices" and "traditional medicine". Unfortunately, many healthcare professionals today have to deal with lawsuits at the drop of the hat, so even when they support alternative styles, support a mom in her convictions to parent the way she feels right, often times we/they are paralyzed with fear of lawsuits, crippling our ability to have an open mind. and the ignorant opinionated ones, who feel they "know it all" (i have had many a bully patient) are often the quickest to get a lawyer.

no need to apologize though if that is how you really feel. and if you work with nurses who are opinionated bullies, then who am i to say, right? i mean, i would feel the same way!! i would!!

i am just plugging away at school, so i can leave the profession , like all the other nurses are doing, and possibly teach. its entirely too much to deal with the thankless job i have, the ungrateful, hostile patients and their families anymore. i just cant do it. dealing with all that coupled with the fear of lawsuits, i mean, i had to transfer my name off my house papers, in case i get sued!
#14 of 22 Old 03-05-2003, 01:57 AM

I am surprised to hear the word gross so much. I mean nursing is one of the most underappreciated professions out there and I am sure they deal with all sorts of icky fluids...I think breastmilk would be one of the *least* gross they deal with...

Not all those who wander are lost 
#15 of 22 Old 03-05-2003, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Meiri
"Oh, I see they're still teaching formula company propanganda instead of facts about breastfeeding in nursing school"
:LOL

It seems to be the theme at any work place, unfortunately. I just talked to a friend of mine today at my son's 9 months appt (her son is 6 months...we go to the same DO) and we were talking about BFing. She went back to work part time and finds it's impossible to have a nice, private place to pump. People are always bugging her "why are your doing that?!" and making other snide comments. She was actually considering stopping the pumping during the day and supplementing with formula just because it's really wearing on her. It's really too bad.

I have heard of this happening this quite a bit.

I'm sorry you have to deal with this too.
#16 of 22 Old 03-05-2003, 01:51 PM

I almost wish I was working just so I could tell these people to @#%$ OFF. What absolute nerve! (And stupidity as well)
#17 of 22 Old 03-05-2003, 02:50 PM

abimommy,
breast milk to me is the least "icky" of the body fluids, but they are body fluids, so i wear gloves.

i just dont think its icky, and i certainly dont put in the same class as urine, sputum, stool & blood. but, just like i wear gloves when i touch those fluids, i do the same for breast milk, minus the ickiness!

Lisa
#18 of 22 Old 03-05-2003, 03:05 PM

I am a NICU nurse - still nursing my 17 mo old - and still pumping about once during a 12 hour shift some days - some days not -

and I get from fellow NICU nurses - "Isn't he a little old to be doing that?" "My god you don't nurse in public do you?" "You need to get him weaned!"

Lately I brag about it to the ones it bothers most - heh - what the heck.....

I also ask them to bring me the studies to support their opinions - afterall I can show them LOTS of studies and guidelines that support extended nursing. Where is the evidence for the evidence based practice they are supposed to be practicing?

Nobody has brought me a single study or even an abstract.

Edited to add - Oh - and I wear gloves too but more to protect the milk than me. The CDC guidelines state gloves only need be worn in areas of heavy exposure such as milk banking. I don't know if NICU nursing is considered heavy exposure or not, but I have NEVER been freaked out about a drop or two on my hands! Unlike a few of my coworkers....

and yes - I AM re-educating them as I go - I have a nice little jar of formula company badge clips I am collecting as I trade them out for IT industry badge clips - anyone want to donate badge clips to the cause? I will take badge clips or lanyards from ANYWHERE as long as they do not have pharmaceutical or formula company names or ads on them.

#19 of 22 Old 03-05-2003, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

It just drives me nuts the amount of misinformation out there in the medical profession. I mean we are suppose to be the educated ones, the ones teaching the public about there health.

I have had co workers "walk in" while I was pumping and act like a was doing the "nasty"!

I am just so frustrated by this. I can see if you where not a strong willed person how the pressure would make you stop. (But the more crap I get the more I am gonna do it!)

HEATHERH

#20 of 22 Old 03-05-2003, 07:57 PM

I am not in the medical profession but have to add a few comments here.

When I think that people drink the mammary fluid of a COW, it sure puts in perspective what is GROSS!

As for the smokers taking breaks that other workers don't - My DH worked for the IRS storing data for a while. He got so fed up with the smokers taking breaks, he decided to take them too. He talked several of his co workers into this too. They each picked a smoker to shadow and whenever the smoker went for a cig, they were followed out by a non smoker. It didn't take long for the problem to be seen by managment. They tried to stop the non-smokers from going but they quickly saw the discrimination going on and decided to let it be. They all got lots of breaks that way. A clever way to handle it I think!

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Unknown
#21 of 22 Old 03-06-2003, 03:16 AM

LOL Karen.

DH was in the same situation once, so he asked his manager if he could take a "breathing break" and did so at frequent intervals. Everyone else where he worked smoked and would all take breaks at the same time for looooong periods. Soon that ended

As for medical... my sis is a nurse and when she worked l&d she was always saying how *all* women in labor are just huge pains. either always whining or "refusing" to let her take care of the situation. great, thats the kind of support they need.

Kay

#22 of 22 Old 03-06-2003, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TiredX2
"refusing" to let her take care of the situation.
As if labor is something a woman needs to 'rescued' from. I am bothered by this mentality....different topic completely.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page