Mass.: Gov. replaces supporters of formula ban. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 29 Old 05-20-2006, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Gov. Romney fired 3 people on the Public Health Council yesterday, the three who were in support of banning formula giveaways at hospitals.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/art...ealth_council/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 29 Old 05-20-2006, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fek&fuzz
Gov. Romney fired 3 people on the Public Health Council yesterday, the three who were in support of banning formula giveaways at hospitals.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/art...ealth_council/
#3 of 29 Old 05-20-2006, 10:08 AM

I AM APPALLED.

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#4 of 29 Old 05-20-2006, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter

And, you'd think after all the horrible flooding that just happened, which led to people being evacuated and water being contaminated with sewage, he would realize the importance of breastfeeding and the risks of forumal feeding - not being able to feed you child due to the inabillity to access formula or bad water for mixing.

But......maybe people could save their free formula sample from the gift bag for use in emergencies, then they'd be fine.
#5 of 29 Old 05-20-2006, 11:20 AM

I AM FURIOUS.

I CANNOT BELIEVE I VOTED FOR THAT (THING I CAN'T SAY DUE TO THE UA)
#6 of 29 Old 05-20-2006, 12:11 PM

Wow, just wow. I'm so sorry....
#7 of 29 Old 05-20-2006, 01:21 PM

That really sucks. I think y'all need to mobilize. Be in the streets all day and night, around his office. He works for y'all. Hold him accountable.
#8 of 29 Old 05-20-2006, 01:23 PM

Just remember this has a credible chance of winning the Republican nomination for Presidential candidate in 08.

We CANNOT let this guy in the Oval Office. He cares more about money and donations then the health of mothers and babies.
#9 of 29 Old 05-20-2006, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fek&fuzz
And, you'd think after all the horrible flooding that just happened, which led to people being evacuated and water being contaminated with sewage, he would realize the importance of breastfeeding and the risks of forumal feeding - not being able to feed you child due to the inabillity to access formula or bad water for mixing.
The only thing of importance to Romney is his 08 Presidential run. He waffled on his residency and his stance on abortion until he decided it would be better to run for governor in MA than in UT, and has since done an abrupt flip-flop on abortion because Republican primary voters are more conservative than Massachusetts voters. The formula thing will play better with members of Big Pharma, as others have noted, which should lead to more money for his 08 war chest.

Sorry, I'm just a really really anti-Romney Massachusetts resident and have been appalled at this formula thing from his first involvement in it. His whole "women should have a choice" line is such crap-- they do have a choice, but aggressive marketing at a time when they're emotionally vulnerable and sleep-deprived takes some of that choice away.

I had my baby just before the ban went into place. The hospital gave me a gift bag from Nestle Good Start that they had the audacity to call a "Breastfeeding Starter Kit." Sure, a breastfeeding kit always comes with a sheet on safe bottle handling tips and a huge cannister of Good Start formula, right?
#10 of 29 Old 05-20-2006, 07:02 PM

Quote:
He works for y'all.
He does not work for me, I can tell you. His policies don't have a thing to do with my priorities. I'm furious, too.
#11 of 29 Old 05-20-2006, 10:24 PM

l, <>< wife to my sweetie, proud mama to 3 cubs, 2 who clw & 1 that i i ep for . baby was evicted early by induction due to severe pre-e/hellp syndrome
#12 of 29 Old 05-21-2006, 03:51 PM

This is why I voted for Jill Stein the Green Party candidate. Both Romney and whoever the Dem. was are jerks.

Yes, I'm sure he'll be raking in the pharma $$$ for that little favor.
#13 of 29 Old 05-22-2006, 12:31 AM

This is serious. He wants to run for president.

Take the time to heal from your marriage before you move on with someone else. Make a list of all the qualities you would like in a new partner and then work on growing that way yourself. ~mandib50
#14 of 29 Old 05-22-2006, 10:47 PM

I was born in MA, and the #$%@*! nurse in the stupid hospital wouldn't let my mother breastfeed me in front of her formula-feeding roommate.

It's so nice when a governor wants to take his state in a positive direction. :

-Alice, SAHM to dd (2001) and ds (2004) each of whom was a homebirth.jpg, who each self-weaned at 4.5 years bfolderchild.gif, who both fambedsingle2.gif'd, who were bothcd.gif, and both: novaxnocirc.gif.   Also, gd.gif, and goorganic.jpg!

#15 of 29 Old 05-23-2006, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sustainer

I was born in MA, and the #$%@*! nurse in the stupid hospital wouldn't let my mother breastfeed me in front of her formula-feeding roommate.
That is one of the grossest things I've ever heard.
ghannit likes this.
#16 of 29 Old 05-23-2006, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cielle
That is one of the grossest things I've ever heard.
Yeah, she actually made my mother go into a different room to breastfeed me, and then she yelled at her for "messing up" the bed instead of using the chair.

I'm not sure whether it was the same nurse who refused to bring me to her when I was crying (and physically blocked her from getting me herself) until my mother went to her superior. She was insisting that I would only be brought to her when it had been 4 hours since the last feeding. Told my mother she'd bring me to her when she (the nurse) was "god damn good and ready."

(Before the birth, my mother had requested rooming in and breastfeeding on demand and had been told that both things would be fine. Oh and don't even get me started on how the nurses treated her during the BIRTH itself. That nightmare makes the breastfeeding incidents look like nothing!)

Anyway, I'm just so glad that hospitals in MA are finally going to be pro-breastfeeding now that 31 years have passed, you know?

-Alice, SAHM to dd (2001) and ds (2004) each of whom was a homebirth.jpg, who each self-weaned at 4.5 years bfolderchild.gif, who both fambedsingle2.gif'd, who were bothcd.gif, and both: novaxnocirc.gif.   Also, gd.gif, and goorganic.jpg!

#17 of 29 Old 05-23-2006, 09:57 PM

#18 of 29 Old 05-24-2006, 12:19 AM

thats just apalling.

I'm in Iowa so my stance on things don't matter much, but I will help you MA mama's mobilize anyway possible!

Renae wife to J :, Mama to 4.5y/o J-bird and 2y/o A : and E coming in late Dec/Early Jan. My husband had a living donor kidney transplant! :
#19 of 29 Old 05-24-2006, 11:26 AM

Wow... Definitely in bed with the pharma companies. :
#20 of 29 Old 05-24-2006, 01:06 PM

The way Romney/the media are framing it is that to deny moms the formula gifts is "interfering with their freedom of choice."

Take the time to heal from your marriage before you move on with someone else. Make a list of all the qualities you would like in a new partner and then work on growing that way yourself. ~mandib50
#21 of 29 Old 05-24-2006, 01:15 PM

The other thread about this
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=457305

#22 of 29 Old 05-24-2006, 01:44 PM

I called Gov Romney's office and gave them an earful (not angry, spirited but polite ) and they said they'd pass on the information to him. I think if more MDC mamas called and gave their opinions, he might change his mind. (I made sure to say that if he runs for Pres, I feel so passionately about the bfing issue that I probably wouldn't vote for him because of this action.)
Here's his information:
State House
Office of the Governor
Room 360
Boston, MA 02133
Phone: (617) 725-4005
(888) 870-7770 (instate use only)
FAX: (617) 727-9725
TTY: (617) 727-3666

Washington D.C.
Office of the Governor
444 N. Capitol Street, Suite 208
Washington, D.C. 20001
Phone: (202) 624-7713
FAX: (202) 624-7714
#23 of 29 Old 05-24-2006, 01:48 PM

I basically told his lackey that taking away the sample of formula is not taking away their choice to go to the store and buy it themselves. I also said that if they're going to continue to pass out the formula bags, they should give out TRUE breastfeeding support bags (not with formula, but good breast pads, lanolin, a breastfeeding booklet, possibly coupons for $ off a pillow and/or breast pump.) The guy I talked to said he understood where I was coming from, and I drove the point home by explaining my particular breastfeeding experience (I almost gave up because I was giving myself deadlines while the "free" formula sample was in the house, dh supported me, and I tried once more, and here we are!) I also said that 2 months ago, dd had rotavirus, and if we had been ffing, we would have needed to give her an IV of fluids because she came close to needing it, but the bfing kept her from needing it.
#24 of 29 Old 05-24-2006, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstkid4me
a breastfeeding booklet
A breastfeeding booklet that isn't written by a formula company!

#25 of 29 Old 05-24-2006, 01:53 PM

Yes, the kind they give in the Avent pump I got! That one was well rounded and very well written (like, if you pump and give a bottle, do this to avoid nipple confusion, blah blah, if you want to breastfeed, then do this.)
#26 of 29 Old 05-24-2006, 01:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Freedom of choice my a$$. They can always go to the store after leaving the hospital if they want to formula feed.

student/sahm to three awesome girls who are always on the go!
#27 of 29 Old 05-24-2006, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sustainer

It's so nice when a governor wants to take his state in a positive direction. :
holy shite, sustainer, i just flashed back & the same thing happened to me in '86 when my dd was born. i had totally forgotten it; i was a mothering reader then too, & TOTALLY pissed. man, the formula-by-choice people call us 'nazis'. yuck, yuck, yuck.

you know, i don't even remember how i dealt with it. probably shock & withdrawal- there was not a lot of support back then. this makes me really angry. 'it will make her feel bad'. well, her snoring from drugs all night made me feel pretty awful too. :

what a difference from my next birth in '01- how nice mr romney wants to turn back the clock.

(what makes voters in mass elect such toads? no offence intended, i mean we have frist. )
#28 of 29 Old 05-24-2006, 02:54 PM

I hate to be a sceptic, but I am surprised that anyone is surprised at this. That Republicans are in bed with big business is totally par for the course. Why would you expect anything different from him??? not that it doesn't suck, it totally does, its just exactly what should be expected of his party.
#29 of 29 Old 01-10-2007, 09:21 AM

Update: the drive is back on!

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=592403

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page