How many ounces/hour can you pump? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 33 Old 06-19-2006, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm working on something... humour me.

How many ounces of milk can you pump, in what amount of time? (this is not a contest )

I just want to get an idea of how many ounces you can get at a pump session, and how long it takes to pump it. I'll average the results.

(I'm basically talking about people with good supply that pump for work or whatever, not people struggling with supply, or trying to build up their supply)

Janice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 33 Old 06-19-2006, 02:12 PM

When I was pumping I could get about 12 oz from both breasts in 15ish minutes.

Mom to Dakota (6), Coy, (4), Max, (4), Lily (4), and Auri (June 19th 2010)!
Visit Lily's site at www.caringbridge.org/visit/lilymathis1
#3 of 33 Old 06-19-2006, 02:15 PM

It really depends for me. Some days I'll only pump 2-3 oz TOTAL (not from each breast) in twenty-five minutes. Other days, I'll pump 14 - 16 oz in 15 minutes. On other days still, I've been known to overflow my bottles in no time--which is always embarassing. I hate coming out of my pump room with big wet spots on my clothing. I think an average for me is about 12 oz in 15-20 mins.

I blog traditional foods and Weston A Price at Nourished Kitchen. See my healthy recipes.
#4 of 33 Old 06-19-2006, 02:34 PM

I have an established supply but the most I was ever able to pump was 6 oz in about 20 minutes...Mostly I can only get 2-3 oz in a 20 minute session.

I've always been that way. Pumping doesn't work out so well with me
#5 of 33 Old 06-19-2006, 02:36 PM

I get on average about 12oz in 10 minutes or so, from both breasts.

There was one great day in the past where I got 10oz from ONE side in like 5 minutes... that never happened again though.

Betty *(.)(.)* mama to: DS1 (12) DS2 (11) DS3 (8)
(12/26/06) (5/11/09) (10/7/09)x2

#6 of 33 Old 06-19-2006, 02:44 PM
Banned

Well at the peak of my nursing relationship with my DD, I didn't swap sides during the night, just popped one nip in her mouth and went off to la la land. Woke up one side engorged, and every morning I was able to pump between 16-18 oz off that breast while DD nursed the other side,
#7 of 33 Old 06-19-2006, 03:04 PM

well, I am an example of how you can't measure your output by pumping.

Even though I am tandem nursing my kids, and my 7 month old, who is still ebf because his gag reflex is still too strong, is over 21 lbs, I can only pump maybe 2 oz per breast in an hour.

And I have been pumping on and off for over two years.

I have a Medela PIS too.

Siobhan
- I hate pumping

You know the attributes for a great adult? Initiative, creativity, intellectual curiosity? They make for a helluva kid...
#8 of 33 Old 06-19-2006, 03:18 PM
Banned

oh yeah, I was only using an Avent Isis too..

:

Yes I plan on pumping with this next one too even though I'll be a SAHM.

What if I gotta go to the hospital and am unavailable right? We also might want to go out for an evening without the kids.

Go ahead and flame me. I believe a good freezer stash is an invaluable thing, even for SAHM's because one never knows when an emergency might come up.
#9 of 33 Old 06-19-2006, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandora114

Go ahead and flame me. I believe a good freezer stash is an invaluable thing, even for SAHM's because one never knows when an emergency might come up.
No flames here - instead this plan sounds really responsible and reasonable. I wish I could pump more per session to have a reasonable stash.

Reminds me of that very sad episode of ER when Carrie's partner (the fire fighter) and mama to their baby, quipped, as she was going into surgery (from which she never woke up), "good thing I pumped this morning!"

That scene stuck with me. If, God forbid, I am killed in a car accident or some such, it does reassure me for some reason that my baby will get a final few ounces of bm from me.

Siobhan

You know the attributes for a great adult? Initiative, creativity, intellectual curiosity? They make for a helluva kid...
#10 of 33 Old 06-19-2006, 03:32 PM

I EP so I am very used to the pump. (medela lactina select) I pump every 2 hours around the clock and get 5-7 ounces each pump session. Each session lasts about 20 minutes. I get a total of around 70 oz a day.
#11 of 33 Old 06-19-2006, 03:32 PM

6oz per breast in about 30 minutes. so 12oz/30minutes total.
#12 of 33 Old 06-19-2006, 04:36 PM

I don't pump for work, but when I pump for the odd bottle I can get 5ozs in about 5mins from the left breast if I catch the letdown on that side. On the right I can get about 3ozs in about 5 mins. After that I don't get quite so much. If I pump for 20 more minutes I probably only get about 1 more oz. So in 30mins I can get around 10ozs with my Avent Isis manual pump.
#13 of 33 Old 06-19-2006, 04:45 PM

At the peak of my supply (I was EPing) I pumped about 40 oz a day at about 10 sessions. I could get as much as 10 ounces a session at night and in the early morning, but it would dwindle to as little as an ounce and a half in the early evenings. I was using a rented electric at home and an Isis while out.

Edited to add: I pumped for long sessions, because I was EPing and needed to keep stimulating supply. This meant half-hour pumping sessions sometimes.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#14 of 33 Old 06-19-2006, 04:49 PM

i don't pump but if I did, judging by DS's gulps and chokeing cause it pour out ALOT.
#15 of 33 Old 06-19-2006, 05:07 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hmmm, I'm interpretting your question differently than most of the other respondants:

In an 8 hour work day, I pump twice getting 12-14 ounces (averaging ~1.5-1.75 oz/hour) for a total pumping time of 30 minutes (15 minutes each time).

My son weighs 17 pounds, so he needs about 2.5 oz/pound/day or about 1.8 oz per hour, so I'm not quite keeping up, which explains my Saturday and Sunday pumping sessions.

Double electric pump (Ameda).
#16 of 33 Old 06-19-2006, 05:08 PM

In my heyday I could pump about 8-10 oz total in about 10 minutes. Occasionally I would pump more than that, and once or twice I got about 9 or 10 ounces from one side. I would always pump about 10 ounces in the morning, 6 ounces at lunch, and about 4 ounces at the end of teh day, for a total of about 20 ounces per day. Not too shabby I think. My DD reverse cycled for two months so I ended up donating 2-300 ounces and used the rest of the milk when I lost mine while I was pregnant. I will pump again this time to build up my freezer stash, even though I may end up being a WAHM and not need ing to pump, but I like the idea of the "just in case" milk because, well, you never know. I told my DH I would prefer him to find human milk to feed out DD if something were to happen to me, and he would need a little time to find a donor, so he'd have to have something on hand to feed the baby until then!

Mama to DD (5) DD (3) and DS (2 months)
#17 of 33 Old 06-19-2006, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacysmommy
In my heyday I could pump about 8-10 oz total in about 10 minutes. Occasionally I would pump more than that, and once or twice I got about 9 or 10 ounces from one side. I would always pump about 10 ounces in the morning, 6 ounces at lunch, and about 4 ounces at the end of teh day, for a total of about 20 ounces per day. Not too shabby I think. My DD reverse cycled for two months so I ended up donating 2-300 ounces and used the rest of the milk when I lost mine while I was pregnant. I will pump again this time to build up my freezer stash, even though I may end up being a WAHM and not need ing to pump, but I like the idea of the "just in case" milk because, well, you never know. I told my DH I would prefer him to find human milk to feed out DD if something were to happen to me, and he would need a little time to find a donor, so he'd have to have something on hand to feed the baby until then!

I generally could only pump 1-2 ounces... my max I ever got was 3 ounces. Time trying ranged from 30 - 60 minutes... tried various times of the day... DD was EBF, so she obviously was getting something.

I never did try hospital grade, but did use a PIS. My sis who works at a hospital tried a hospital grade, and still had problems pumping much.
Obviously kids have a much more efficient latch/suck/something.

Tammy
#18 of 33 Old 06-19-2006, 05:42 PM

If it's been 3 hours since I last pumped, I can get around 5 oz in 20-30 minutes from one breast. (I'm struggling with supply & take herbal & prescription galatacogogues, so through me out of your #s if you want.)

Twin boys 04/2005 : Support breastfeeding rights at FirstRight.Org : warrior
Face the rear for MORE than a year! Toddlers' necks are safest in a rear facing carseat
#19 of 33 Old 06-19-2006, 05:58 PM

It varied when I was pumping. Two full bottles would have been enormous for me - so that would have been 12 ounces. I think that only happened a few times. On the other hand it was usually more than 3 ounces. I'd say maybe between 5-8 oz. Took me about 20 minutes, including set-up and clean-up. I didn't always wash the horns.

My best advice to pumping women is not to measure your self-worth "good momminess" by what drops out of the horns into those little bottles. It's like stepping on the scale every day. Just trust that your baby will get enough milk. Whatever they don't get in the day from pumping, they will make-up for it at night through night-nursing. In the end, I tried NOT TO KNOW how much I was pumping. I figured if I wasn't pumping it, I wouldn't know anyway!

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
#20 of 33 Old 06-19-2006, 06:17 PM

I'm an EPer.

first thing in the morning I usually get 13 oz.

for the rest of the day I get 4.5 oz every 3 hrs, takes 20 minutes plus hand expression at the end.

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
#21 of 33 Old 06-19-2006, 06:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I could get 4 ish first thing in the morning, otherwise I'm lucky to get 1 oz at each other pumping during the day. The most I ever got in one session was 6 oz and that's after weeks of pumping. I'm lucky that I get to stay home because I honestly don't know how I could work and pump and meet the babies needs.

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#22 of 33 Old 06-19-2006, 06:26 PM

When I was pumping, I could get between 6 and 9 ounces in ten minutes with my manual Avent Isis pump.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#23 of 33 Old 06-19-2006, 08:28 PM

Depends if I'm replacing a nursing session or pumping in addition to a nursing session.

Missed nursing session - 10 minutes max, 6-9 oz.

Pumping in addition - I pump every morning for 5 minutes, and get anywhere from 2-6 oz.
#24 of 33 Old 06-20-2006, 12:45 AM

When I was pumping for my 1st ds (a preemie), I got 8 oz. from the left side and 2 oz. from the right in 15 mins. (double pumping).

Momma to three fine children, one that lives in my heart and two that live in my arms.
Circumcision is wrong, regardless of gender
#25 of 33 Old 06-20-2006, 09:14 AM

Well, I had to pull out my data to check. It seems to average about 10 ounces per 9 hours working away from the baby. Some days it was only 3, and others it was as high as 20 ounces. For the average guesstimate over my three kids, ten seems about right. More in the begining, and less towards a year when I get tired of pumping.

Three kids, back to work at six weeks after birth, two kids formula free. Ten ounces per day x three years x 48 weeks per year x 5 days a week equals 7200 ounces. I say more than 4000 ounces from one pump is a conservative estimate.

I can send you the data if you like, Janice. Do you do excel? I have about three months of pumping times and amounts, which I kept track of trying to optimize my pumping schedule for more milk. I didn't really find better times, seemed to vary too much by what the baby had done.

I have to add a quick note that these are amazing devices. My son nurses like mad, when I'm around. Then, I go to work, and don't pump. He's 20 months old now. I just amazes me that my body can adjust so well. I can see getting used to the same schedule each day, but the way we marathon nurse over the weekend, how can my body adjust to work on Monday?

I'm lucky, only a couple of times have I put a hot compress on a suspected plug. You'd think with behaviour like mine, I'd be in for mastitis, often.

Thanks Janice, your Breastfeeding Canada list has helped me through some of the I'm alone on the BF island moments.

#26 of 33 Old 06-21-2006, 09:43 AM

I only pump once a day now, usually. I'm in school from 8am till 1:30pm, and pump when I have a break between classes (at 10:30) I generally pump for 15 or 20 minutes and get 4 oz.

The most I've ever gotten at once was 6 oz. I don't really respond that well to the pump (I have an Ameda PY and am renting a Lactina).
#27 of 33 Old 06-21-2006, 11:54 AM

I can get anywhere from 4-10 ounces per session, and the sessions last from 15-35 minutes. And there's not always a strict correlation with time/pumping. Some days I can get 8 ounces in 20 minutes, other days I can't. (But I do always get at least 8 when I go longer.) I pump 2-3 times a day while at work.

When I EP'd I was able to get 10-12 ounces in 45 minutes, and I did this every 4 hours.
#28 of 33 Old 06-21-2006, 12:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
When I pumped, I only got at the most 3 oz pumping at long as 30 minutes. This was using an Avent manual pump and also a Medela Pump in Style. I have a very healthy supply though. I just don't respond well to a pump.

student/sahm to three awesome girls who are always on the go!
#29 of 33 Old 06-21-2006, 03:50 PM

I haven't pumped in a long time. But when I was I could get 7-8 ounces in a 10 min double pumping session.

Heather Mike Married 8/1/99 Mom to Charlotte Aug 04, Nov 06, and Katherine Oct 07
#30 of 33 Old 06-21-2006, 04:12 PM

When I'm SAH or when I'm WOH? Young or older baby? I'm tandem nursing, but when Liam was a few mos old, I could still fill a 6 oz bottle in 15 mins. Now that he's older, I can barely get 1 oz from both sides. But when I was working full-time away from ds1, I could easily pump up to 20oz in one session (15-20min) if I waited till the afternoon to pump.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page