Cross-Country Nurse-In of VS JULY 1ST 1pm!! Update #166 - Page 12 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#331 of 352 Old 07-01-2006, 06:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Nurse-in Cleveland went swimmingly! We had it at an outdoor mall that was also having something called "liberty fest" which I think means "celebrate capitalism", but whatevah, I digress. Liberty fest meant there was sidewalk chalk for the kiddos right in front of the store on the streets and there were a MILLION people there. We even had a guy on stilts supporting us.

About fifteen moms showed up with their children/nurslings/families and our local paper with a reporter and a photographer. Can't wait to see tomorrow! The Sunday paper!!! woot! We just sat outside nursing and talking to each other and milling about then we went in the store and browsed and nursed and made fun of thongs. The employees were fine with it and totally welcoming (one mentioned she was a former breastfeeding mom ). No one ever harrassed us and people seemed to know what we were doing. We did have a bit of a spat with a sidewalk chalk artist, but I think that's okay now. Good times!

anna kiss partner to jon radical mama to aleks (8/02) and bastian (5/05)
#332 of 352 Old 07-01-2006, 06:33 PM

I went to the closest mall here in Hampton Roads, Virginia. I was a nurse-in of 1. lol

I was hoping to see other moms and/or supporters but better one than none! I did sit on a bench directly facing VS and nurse my son for a few minutes but being alone, I was inconspicuous.

Ah well, the effort was there!
#333 of 352 Old 07-01-2006, 06:45 PM

I'd say about 7 mamas and 1 dad went to the Holyoke Mall in MA today. The staff were just fine with us, lots of customers but no big deal. Nicole77 gave the manager a copy of the press release she sent to the local stations. It was really nice to meet other MDCers. When the last of us left at 1:45, I did see a few salespeople give eachother the "the breastfeeders are leaving" nod. Glad to participate. I'd love hear how things went in other locations!

Mama to 3 kiddles. joy.giffencing.gif Doing my best and trying to stay afloat.vbac.gif

#334 of 352 Old 07-01-2006, 07:10 PM

I went to 3 today (long story, posted in MA forum-- but I had to get my cell phone fixed)

Kingston MA was very supportive-- 3 mommas there (me, Grumpyshoegirl, Boobyfeeder). I talked to the manager when I was leaving, gave her the press release and my MA NiP legislaton info (below) and Hathor's cartoon. Told them I thought VS needed nursing/maternity bras. She agreed-- she nursed her kids-- when they are hungry you need to feed them, were her words. All the sales girls loved kids/babies and told me that they love it when they get to see them in the store--- even my 26 month old who was racing aroudn trying to climb on or throw everythign.

I didn't get to the next 2 malls till well after 2, but since I ended up in the mall to check out my cell phone I figured why the heck not stop by. I dropped off my press release and NIP info after telling the employees that I stopped by because I had to stop by the mall and wanted to drop off my info on the reason their was a nurse in and show my support. Hingham was polite but not overly friendly. Braintree (South Shore Mall) staff was much friendlier.

I ran into a mom on my way into the Kingston store, and she stopped me because she noticed my shirt and loved it. I gave her my info and Amy had run into her earlier. When I mentioned the VS incident she was shocked that it had occurred and I bet she'll call about the NIP law.

Great job!

Jessica

PLEASE SUPPORT A
MOTHER’S RIGHT TO NURSE IN PUBLIC

Massachusetts residents:
Call your local rep and ask them to support legislation to permit breastfeeding in public. Here's a link to find your representatives:
http://www.mass.gov/legis/citytown.htm
Tell your friends to contact their representative.
Every letter or phone call counts.

Ask them to support House Bill 1782
www.mass.gov/legis/184history/h01782.htm
and Senate Bill 75
http://www.mass.gov/legis/184history/s00075.htm

Sign the online petition for H1782: www.petitiononline.com/HB1782/petition.html
Help us support legislation to permit breastfeeding in public in Massachusetts.

Not from MA: Check out your laws here: http://www.lalecheleague.org/LawBills.html

Breastfeeding Information & Support
http://www.lalecheleague.org/
www.kellymom.org
www.mothering.com
www.promom.org
www.askdrsears.com
www.breastfeeding.com
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/links/bf-links.html

Victoria’s Secret Nurse In 7/1/06
http://www.mothering.com/sections/ac...as-secret.html

Jessica..lady.gifintactlact.gif Falling in love all over again..... 
Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura
#335 of 352 Old 07-01-2006, 08:25 PM

My daughter (Zoe 02-27-2006) and I were the only ones at the "nurse-in" in Portland, Maine. As we were walking up to the VS I saw a mother feeding her baby and thought "Oh Good another Mom!" It turned out to be a bottle feeding Mom . . . Oh well. We went in and a clerk said how cute she looked popping out of her sling. That was it. I felt a little strange there alone.

Later Zoe got hungry again and I was in Sears. I asked a young clerk if I could use a dressing room to nurse Zoe. He said "there shouldn't be a problem with that OR there is the women's restroom". After I finished nursing Zoe in the DRessing room, I walked down to the restroom to use it myself and see if there is a lounge in this particular restroom. There was barely room to turn around, nevermind nurse a baby. When my DH is with us and someone suggests feeding our daughter in the bathroom he suggests they take THEIR lunch in there and eat it!

Dawn
mama of Zoe 02-27-2006
#336 of 352 Old 07-01-2006, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annakiss
I made tees for the little ones for tomorrow!!! http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...mxZtMG&notag=1
Those are too cute!

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#337 of 352 Old 07-02-2006, 02:07 AM

*whew* I JUST got home from the nurse-in at the Southland mall in/near Detroit. We made it there a bit after 1, and found 5 or 6 moms already nursing in the store. The salesgirls were keeping a close eye on us, and the manager was not very happy (but she struck me as the sort of woman who never was ), but we weren't bothered. The Fox News reporter had one of the staff photographers come in posing as another supporter, but with a purse cam. The camera malfunctioned, so she just picked it up & shot pics here & there of all of us nursing inside and chatting. After 5-10 minutes the manager noticed & put a stop to the camera, but she already had all she needed.

We left the mall property to do the interviews, and talked a bit with the newsreporter & photographer. Both had come in during their time/day off to do the story -- they didn't want to chance another story coming up for the regular (short) weekend staff and it not getting done -- very nice!

I went in to VS later in the day (I was stuck their until the boys were ready for bed as I couldn't subject them to another awake 2 1/2 hour drive), and was treated very nicely. It had to be apparant that I nursed the boys in the dressing room (I tried on a couple bras, & you know how dc are when they see the nursies... ), but the saleslady didn't even blink. Of course the grumpy manager was no where to be found...

All in all -- a great experience!!
#338 of 352 Old 07-02-2006, 08:34 PM

well we had a decent turn out of about 13 moms a dad, and a grandma. The media didn't come at all. There was a little sitting area, with a rug and comfy chairs and a couch right outside VS. we were there for an hour and a half. We got a lot of looks, heard some nasty comments and had two nice comments about breastfeeding and lots of "oh look at all the babies, how cute". We had a security guard harass us. She told us we weren't allowed to nurse in the mall. We corrected her and gave her one ladies business card that had the florida law on the back. She left and later we saw security guards milling around reading the card. I went up to them and said "excuse me are we doing something worng?" and one said "no why did someone tell you that you were?" i said "actaully yes we were told that we can't nurse in the mall" he asked who said that and after that said that we were fine and he would take care of it. So about five minutes later we left b/c the bigger kids were hungry and sick of sitting on the ractangular patch of rug.

courtney

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

#339 of 352 Old 07-02-2006, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyInfidel
I went to the closest mall here in Hampton Roads, Virginia. I was a nurse-in of 1. lol

I was hoping to see other moms and/or supporters but better one than none! I did sit on a bench directly facing VS and nurse my son for a few minutes but being alone, I was inconspicuous.

Ah well, the effort was there!
Darn it! I just moved from Hampton a couple months ago! If I were still there, we could have been a nurse in of "2"!
#340 of 352 Old 07-02-2006, 09:47 PM

Hi! We had a good turn-out (well, based on the turn-out everywhere else) at the Houston (Galleria Victoria's Secret) nurse-in.

Here's the good part of the story...We had a great time talking and meeting other moms and kids. We gathered outside the store, next to a display window. There were a about 12 moms and 4 dads. Most moms only brought one infant each, but some brought all their kids. We even had two tandem nursing moms who brought both nurslings.

We had several comments from passers-by oohing and ahhing over the kids, and a few with questions: "what are you doing?" and "is this a playgroup?" They seemed surprised when we told them what we were doing, but people were, overall, positive toward us. The most comments received were about our various slings and baby carriers. I think there will be a huge surge in mei-tai sales!!

Now for the bad... : The worst part was that we were continually subjected to dirty looks and constant perfume spritzing by VS staff. (Apparently that's VS's version of tear gas.) We even saw an employee (presumably a manager) order other employees to spray perfume at us in order to encourage us to leave. This behavior continued for around 30 minutes, after which a mall security officer was ensconced a few feet away from us outside the store. (Coincidence: I think not!)

I am really disappointed in the VS staff's reaction to our nurse-in, but not entirely surprised, as nursing moms have had trouble at this posh mall in the past (I attended a nurse-in in 2004 protesting the mall security's treatment of BFing mamas). The store staff's behavior just means that VS needs to all the more urgently inform their stores of their corporate nursing policy. Obviously, some of their employees just don't get it and are willing to jeopardize store image and losing customers to keep status quo. That is really sad and JUST PLAIN WRONG, especially since it is Texas law that "a mother is entitled to breastfeed her baby in any location in which the mother is authorized to be." (Texas House Bill 359)

I'm glad we went, but wish we had had the foresight to print out information or bring "License to Breastfeed in Public" cards with us to distribute to VS store staff. That would have made the experience more productive, I think. I have already written a letter to VS detailing how we were treated at the Galleria store and am anxiously awaiting their reply and explanation for their stoopid employees's behavior.

--Mama to Evan (8/5/03) and Felicity (12/20/05)
#341 of 352 Old 07-03-2006, 02:55 AM

I was all by myself with DS in Provo, and he didn't even want to nurse, which would have been moot anyway because Bfing mamas are ptotected from indecency in Utah so I nurse everywhere uncovered here and no one ever says anything to me. Not to my face, anyway!!

I went into VS and was really shocked at the age of the girls buying panties with naughty things on them. Who exactly is supposed to know you are wearing those???? Even when I was in high school I never wanted to be with the kind of guy I would attract by dressing like that.

Maybe when DS is older I can meet up with more mamas in the Salt Lake area and attend my first real nurse in. Or maybe the time will come when nurse-ins aren't necessary anymore! Ah, to dream....
#342 of 352 Old 07-03-2006, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstkid4me
I love the middle one!
Me too!

I went to UTC mall in San Diego but missed the action as we arrived late. It was still fun to catch up with everyone - there must have been 15 mamas and several husbands there.

Mama to my spirited J, and L, my homebirth: baby especially DTaP, MMR (family vax injuries)
#343 of 352 Old 07-03-2006, 04:20 AM

Portland Oregon and surrounding areas

It seems like we had a grand total of about 20 moms at the 5 or 6 area VS' stores! Three at the outdoor mall in Hillsboro, OR where I was! It was great.

What a huge success in numbers and locations across the country. I would love to know a grand total of locations and people.
#344 of 352 Old 07-03-2006, 10:52 AM

Keep us posted on that. I cannot believe that.

Jessica

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinmom
Hi! We had a good turn-out (well, based on the turn-out everywhere else) at the Houston (Galleria Victoria's Secret) nurse-in.
Now for the bad... : The worst part was that we were continually subjected to dirty looks and constant perfume spritzing by VS staff. (Apparently that's VS's version of tear gas.) We even saw an employee (presumably a manager) order other employees to spray perfume at us in order to encourage us to leave. This behavior continued for around 30 minutes, after which a mall security officer was ensconced a few feet away from us outside the store. (Coincidence: I think not!)

I am really disappointed in the VS staff's reaction to our nurse-in, but not entirely surprised, as nursing moms have had trouble at this posh mall in the past (I attended a nurse-in in 2004 protesting the mall security's treatment of BFing mamas). The store staff's behavior just means that VS needs to all the more urgently inform their stores of their corporate nursing policy. Obviously, some of their employees just don't get it and are willing to jeopardize store image and losing customers to keep status quo. That is really sad and JUST PLAIN WRONG, especially since it is Texas law that "a mother is entitled to breastfeed her baby in any location in which the mother is authorized to be." (Texas House Bill 359)

I'm glad we went, but wish we had had the foresight to print out information or bring "License to Breastfeed in Public" cards with us to distribute to VS store staff. That would have made the experience more productive, I think. I have already written a letter to VS detailing how we were treated at the Galleria store and am anxiously awaiting their reply and explanation for their stoopid employees's behavior.

Jessica..lady.gifintactlact.gif Falling in love all over again..... 
Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura
#345 of 352 Old 07-03-2006, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Perfume spritzing on babies? That is TOTALLY OUTRAGEOUS.

yes, I am shouting.
#346 of 352 Old 07-03-2006, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinmom

Did you create the "license to breastfeed" cards or did you find them somewhere? Would you be willing to share them here?

Thanks,
Nichol
#347 of 352 Old 07-03-2006, 04:50 PM

http://www.journaltimes.com/nucleus/...hp?itemid=6558

Could use some calm, factual, intelligent comments from breastfeeders.

They are saying things like "no business should be required to provide a place for moms to nurse" and "a baby old enough to walk should not be breastfed"...
#348 of 352 Old 07-03-2006, 06:26 PM

I'm appalled by how many people commenting are saying BFing mommies should get a life. How sad.:
#349 of 352 Old 07-03-2006, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

I don't even bother with those people. Honestly, half of them are just trolling. Not even worth my time.

Mama to : '05, '08, '10 and expecting our 3rd homebirth.jpgJanuary '13

#350 of 352 Old 07-03-2006, 08:26 PM

People who act on their misplaced negative feelings about mothers breastfeeding in public are the ones who need to get a life!

-Alice, SAHM to dd (2001) and ds (2004) each of whom was a homebirth.jpg, who each self-weaned at 4.5 years bfolderchild.gif, who both fambedsingle2.gif'd, who were bothcd.gif, and both: novaxnocirc.gif.   Also, gd.gif, and goorganic.jpg!

#351 of 352 Old 07-03-2006, 08:29 PM

I'm just so angry at all the lies told about me by someone I don't even know. I'm guessing that Angellight is a VS employee sent to give me a bad rap.
#352 of 352 Old 07-04-2006, 09:44 AM

Hey anna-

Saw your quote in an article with abc news (can't find it again, though )

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page