Cross-Country Nurse-In of VS JULY 1ST 1pm!! Update #166 - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 352 Old 06-23-2006, 01:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beccah+twins+1
Count me in, I'm in the Chicago area.

Ick..I knew I hated VS for several reasons but this is the biggest one!
Want to drive up to Racine (it's not that further north) I'd love to ask you a few questions about nursing twins (I've never met anyone in person that has nursed twins.) I'm going to the store that harrassed me, regency mall.
#62 of 352 Old 06-23-2006, 01:39 AM

hi mel!!!!

i'm one of the 3 is there a day/time set yet>
#63 of 352 Old 06-23-2006, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama23boys
hi mel!!!!

July 1st, 1 pm your local time.
#64 of 352 Old 06-23-2006, 01:49 AM

it's on the calander! tks
#65 of 352 Old 06-23-2006, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama23boys
hi mel!!!!

Hey you!

A local TV station has what it calls the Community Chalkboard which announces events and I was thinking of putting this up there. Can somebody help me with wording? : An example on there :

Saturday, June 24
Help children in need by sharing your heart and home with an abused or neglected child; become a certified Foster Parent!
(ph number)

If you provide child care in your home, you may be eligible for reimbursement for meals you serve through the Oregon Child Development Coalition.
(ph number)

Something like:

Support breastfeeding moms nationwide and help raise awareness about breastfeeding and the right to breastfeed in public at the RVM Victoria's Secret. This event is occuring across the nation due to a number of mother's being harrassed and asked to use restrooms to feed their nursing child.
If you have a nursing child or simply support the right of nursing moms to feed their child regardless of location, please join us at 1 pm outside the Victoria's Secret store.

??? Help?
#66 of 352 Old 06-23-2006, 09:47 AM

That sounds great Mel!
#67 of 352 Old 06-23-2006, 10:01 AM

If those able to go to their local VS for the nurse-in would be willing to call their local LLL, that would be a great help. I only have a cell phone, and I don't have that many minutes. I know I'm not going to be able to make all the calls I can over this weekend (I'm going to try, but I'd need help.)
#68 of 352 Old 06-23-2006, 10:02 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
"For its part, Victoria's Secret maintains that it supports breast-feeding and its policy actually allows it in stores. "There was an unfortunate misunderstanding in the incident involving us, but you know what, if it's brought forth even greater things, that's fine," said Anthony Hebron, spokesman for parent company Limited Brands in Columbus, Ohio. "

Alright ladies, I was really, really in (2.75 yo nursing toddler and all...), but the above is a quote from the ABC news article. If this is the case, and it wasn't the company itself, but ignorant employees...it this a fair nurse-in? Did the moms ask to speak to management to determine the exact nursing policy (as well as educate management) and still get told to leave? Hate to be a voice of dissention, here, but as lactivists, I think we need to be very careful to be sure of the facts so as not to be simply seen as crazy zealots rather than a group of thinking, educated people with a valid message...

what do you think?

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

#69 of 352 Old 06-23-2006, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

The problem courtenay, is that they aren't communicating this to their employees and I think part of the reason is because they don't see it as a huge issue. But all it takes is ONE employee not knowing. They need to make it a priority to educate their staff. The employee that did this to me wasn't even a NEW employee. So, they aren't making it a priority. I was beyond upset yesterday, holding your crying infant whose obviously hungry and being told you're dirty is ridiculous.

I did speak with the Asst. Manager and she was sorry, but that didn't feed my baby when she was hungry, kwim? That didn't take away the anger and embarrassment that I felt. VS, a company that profits off of breasts, would do well to recognize their main function and respect that in their stores.

Mama to : '05, '08, '10 and expecting our 3rd homebirth.jpgJanuary '13

#70 of 352 Old 06-23-2006, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by courtenay_e
"For its part, Victoria's Secret maintains that it supports breast-feeding and its policy actually allows it in stores. "There was an unfortunate misunderstanding in the incident involving us, but you know what, if it's brought forth even greater things, that's fine," said Anthony Hebron, spokesman for parent company Limited Brands in Columbus, Ohio. "

Alright ladies, I was really, really in (2.75 yo nursing toddler and all...), but the above is a quote from the ABC news article. If this is the case, and it wasn't the company itself, but ignorant employees...it this a fair nurse-in? Did the moms ask to speak to management to determine the exact nursing policy (as well as educate management) and still get told to leave? Hate to be a voice of dissention, here, but as lactivists, I think we need to be very careful to be sure of the facts so as not to be simply seen as crazy zealots rather than a group of thinking, educated people with a valid message...

what do you think?
The links to the posts about what happened to Snooter and me are posted. Snooter had a wonderful experience when she called management, but I was told that in the future, I would need to go to a dressing room or bathroom by a manager. When I called corporate, they told me that I would have to go to a dressing room or bathroom because they don't allow people to try on clothing on the sales floor. This company has NOT done what it needs to make sure it's employees know their policies about breastfeeding and has been in the news several times for this kind of thing. I feel that this is exactly the kind of thing that will wake them up and realize it's a serious thing to harrass a breastfeeding mother.
#71 of 352 Old 06-23-2006, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snooter
I was beyond upset yesterday, holding your crying infant whose obviously hungry and being told your dirty is ridiculous.
Also, can you imagine how badly that would impact a breastfeeding relationship for a new mom?
#72 of 352 Old 06-23-2006, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

I also wanted to add, that in our case, it also is a state issue. Yes, we are protected federally, but on a state level their isn't much clairity on the issue. Politicians themselves need to see how serious of an issue this is. Fortunately/unfortunately VS might be the catalyst.

#73 of 352 Old 06-23-2006, 10:11 AM

Same in WI, we're only protected from prosecution, we don't have the right to nurse where we would otherwise legally be allowed to be.
#74 of 352 Old 06-23-2006, 10:37 AM

'kay. In that case, we'll be there. I just wanted to be sure that we weren't gonna look like the fanatics with the big corporation, in the "placating voice" saying..."We SAID you can nurse in our stores, what's the big deal?"

Don't get me wrong...I AM a fanatic about breastfeeding...however, I don't think that fanaticism will win us the nursing mamas from mainstream america, know what I mean? And those mamas are the ones we want to address, in my opinion. We want the mainstream mamas to realize that there's something unnatural about choosing to bottlefeed for no other reason but that it's "dirty" UGH!

Yes, I do know exactly how it feels as a brand new mom, trying to nourish and comfort her baby to have someone act like it is a dirty and disgraceful thing. And I'm really glad that I was educated enough and STUBBORN enough to blow them off. And I realize that some other new moms might not be. So, count me in. (I have been known, by the way, to misquote the federal law to people I know to be ignorant employees...I usually just ask them whether they're aware that there's a federal law that protects me by allowing me to breastfeed anywhere I'm allowed to be with my child...I don't tell them that it's only specifically protected on federal property or, I believe property that receives federal funding...but it usually makes them shut up and run away very quickly! I have even had managers come and apologize profusely after I've made that little tirade!)

...x posted in finding your tribe, Michigan...

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

#75 of 352 Old 06-23-2006, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for your support courtenay! I know exactly what you mean as well. I certainly don't want to give lactavism a bad name whatsoever. I just feel like we need to be one big large mosquito! Otherwise, we will look like a small lone group of breastfeeding nuts. Thanks again

#76 of 352 Old 06-23-2006, 10:46 AM

If enough of us show up it could cause corporate to see that there are a lot of customers they could be having if they were a little more BF'ing friendly. It could inspire them carry nursing bra's. It is not the actual nurse-in that counts it is the effect it could potentially have afterwards.

Medium Sessions, Psychic Readings, Astrology Consultations and Mother Blessings www.magicalmoongarden.com
#77 of 352 Old 06-23-2006, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mamapits, I was thinking the same thing. Mentioning to Corporate that it would be helpful and might go a long way to smoothing things over with the nursing population if they PROVED they were breastfeeding friend by putting in a line of nursing bras.

#78 of 352 Old 06-23-2006, 11:10 AM

Great idea, but I think they'll see it as a detriment to their "super sexy" image...they'd probably pay more attention to the sexiness and not enough to proper fit and function of a nursing bra...Worth a try to mention, though. Who knows, we could be surprised!

#79 of 352 Old 06-23-2006, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by courtenay_e
Great idea, but I think they'll see it as a detriment to their "super sexy" image...they'd probably pay more attention to the sexiness and not enough to proper fit and function of a nursing bra...Worth a try to mention, though. Who knows, we could be surprised!
I'm not expecting an ad compaign on par with their push up bras, but just knowing that they carry them would be great.

#80 of 352 Old 06-23-2006, 12:19 PM

So, just to clarify...
We're saying Sat July 1 at 1pm (people's local time) at whatever VS you can get to?
#81 of 352 Old 06-23-2006, 12:28 PM

I'm in, and I'll spread the word here (Maryland).
#82 of 352 Old 06-23-2006, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstkid4me
If those able to go to their local VS for the nurse-in would be willing to call their local LLL, that would be a great help. I only have a cell phone, and I don't have that many minutes. I know I'm not going to be able to make all the calls I can over this weekend (I'm going to try, but I'd need help.)
Not to burst your bubble, but your LLL leaders can't really do anything to help. It's against their mixing causes policy.

As a local member tho, feel free to send out an email blast to your group newsletter list (I believe that they don't bcc all the names for a reason...).

Yes, I know some groups are different than others, but following a strict interpretation of the mixing causes policy, a leader would not be able to send out anything political in nature on behalf of LLL or representing herself as a leader. If a leader wants to send it to her personal email list, that would be fine, but they cannot send it out as a public service announcement, kwim?

*~* A * Mama to C and A * *~* I blog - PM me for the URL
#83 of 352 Old 06-23-2006, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaki
So, just to clarify...
We're saying Sat July 1 at 1pm (people's local time) at whatever VS you can get to?
Yup, sounds that way! Head over to Finding Your Tribe and your state and there is info posted there.

Renae wife to J :, Mama to 4.5y/o J-bird and 2y/o A : and E coming in late Dec/Early Jan. My husband had a living donor kidney transplant! :
#84 of 352 Old 06-23-2006, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

Just wanted to second what JamesMama said, for all those that said they're in, please head over to your local tribe section for more infor on your area and possibly getting connected with other moms. Spread the word to any mommy playgroups you belong to. Remember, you don't have to be nursing a child/ren in order to participate.

#85 of 352 Old 06-23-2006, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniej
Not to burst your bubble, but your LLL leaders can't really do anything to help. It's against their mixing causes policy.

As a local member tho, feel free to send out an email blast to your group newsletter list (I believe that they don't bcc all the names for a reason...).

Yes, I know some groups are different than others, but following a strict interpretation of the mixing causes policy, a leader would not be able to send out anything political in nature on behalf of LLL or representing herself as a leader. If a leader wants to send it to her personal email list, that would be fine, but they cannot send it out as a public service announcement, kwim?
I absolutely understand this. They don't want activism to deter any mothers who are simply there for the breastfeeding education. Part of me wonders though (I'm not suggesting they change their stance at all...more just thinking outloud) if NIP was protected or rather made to feel more protected, would more mothers nurse? I've heard that some moms choose to not breastfeed because they're afraid of NIP.

#86 of 352 Old 06-23-2006, 12:47 PM
Banned

I am going to go out on a limb by asking a question and hope I don't get flamed. I've visited the links and read what has been happening. Victoria's Secret employees do need to have training to understand that breastfeeding is not unhygienic. They should also understand the laws in their states as they pertain to breastfeeding. However, another issue I am seeing, that does not seem to be mentioned, is the fact that the women in question were asking to use a dressing room for other than trying on clothes. I do not have a problem with a store having a policy that you cannot use a dressing room for other than trying on clothes. It would be nice if they would make exceptions. I was once shopping in Mimi Maternity with a pregnant friend and when my infant fussed, the sales girl immediately offered the dressing room for me to nurse. But, I do not think stores should be obligated to provide dressing rooms for mamas to nurse in. If they do that, they will have to provide dressing rooms for everybody else who wants some privacy - people making phone calls, people wanting to read a book, people wanting to change clothes (not clothes bought at the store), people wanting reapply makeup - I know these sound silly but my point is that a business does not have to let people who are not customers use their facilities. Stores don't let non-employees use their restroom or breakroom. If I were in the position of these women I would have assumed that I needed to be trying on lingerie to use a VS dressing room, grabbed a few bras, and headed for the big stall. I would have planted myself on the bench and nursed my dd to her heart's content. I did that many times when my dd was still nursing.

So, my point is that I am wondering what the point of the nurse-in is? What is being asked of VS? Are you asking for them to retrain their staff as to the laws supporting breastfeeding? Or are you asking them to let anyone use the dressing rooms for breastfeeding whether they are a customer or not? Because I don't see where, legally, you can ask the latter.

Please don't flame me because I am totally supportive of the idea to send VS a message. I just think it needs to be the right message.
#87 of 352 Old 06-23-2006, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

I most certainly am a customer of VS. In my post I stated that I had planned on shopping at VS, but shopping with an upset infant who won't nurse in a crowded area just won't work. Then look at Firstkid4me's post. She actually wasn't using a changing room. She was just nursing where she was and she was offered a changing room (or bathroom) and was told when she called Corporate that she shouldn't nurse on the sales floor as it was akin to changing in the middle of the store. So they're sending mixed messages. No one seems to be clear on their policy and I'll bet dollars to donuts that it's because they don't see it as a serious issue.

Also, like I said earlier, on a state level this needs to be addressed. We need state laws on our side for the future.

Baby waking up more later!

Furthermore, VS had just recently been in the news for such an issue and had said they are breastfeeding friendly. The problem is that they aren't getting this info out to their employees.

#88 of 352 Old 06-23-2006, 01:01 PM

Quick question, is there any legal steps we need to take to 'assemble' outside a VS in the mall? Can security ask us to leave? Do we need to get a protest permit? Right at this moment I'm just looking at it being me and a friend of mine but if we get more mama's is there anything we need to do? Are we protected since the mall is technalley owned by someone and not really 'public' property??

Thanks!

Renae wife to J :, Mama to 4.5y/o J-bird and 2y/o A : and E coming in late Dec/Early Jan. My husband had a living donor kidney transplant! :
#89 of 352 Old 06-23-2006, 01:02 PM

Oh, and is anyone writing a mini-press release I can foward to the news stations? Thanks!

#90 of 352 Old 06-23-2006, 01:03 PM

subbing

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

Tout va s'arranger à la fin. Si elle ne fonctionne pas; ce n'est pas la fin.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page