I think I'm going to be sick - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 190 Old 06-27-2006, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3.../thformula.gif

So now it's a talent to make a bottle of formula?
#2 of 190 Old 06-27-2006, 03:42 PM

I'm sure my four year old can, too. Where did you get that?
#3 of 190 Old 06-27-2006, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

I was posting on the ivillage boards to the playgroups and expecting clubs, and a woman responded with that blinkie in her siggy.

ETA: I was posting about the nurse-in
#4 of 190 Old 06-27-2006, 03:52 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Sounds like somebody has boobie-envy.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#5 of 190 Old 06-27-2006, 03:59 PM

oh, ick.

i made formula with my first. i'm more proud of making milk for my second!

i mean, really, what's so magnificently miraculous about measuring and pouring?

successful #2 Jan. 25th - welcome Maisie Elise!
#6 of 190 Old 06-27-2006, 03:59 PM

When her body starts making that in response to the birth of a child and putting it forth at exactly the moment that her child is hungry, she can get back to me.
#7 of 190 Old 06-27-2006, 04:22 PM

It IS very hard to make Formula, though. I mean, formula is easy but Formula takes a special skill.

I don't get it, either? Maybe she just thought it was funny!

Jessica

Jessica..lady.gifintactlact.gif Falling in love all over again..... 
Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura
#8 of 190 Old 06-27-2006, 04:26 PM

She feels inadequate and guilty and that women who 'choose' to lactate make those who choose to FF look inferior.

It's not my fault she chose the way she did. Or that she has guilt. Guilt is your conscience telling you something is wrong.
#9 of 190 Old 06-27-2006, 04:33 PM

I think it's a backlash (caused by feelings of guilt over her choice) at the mamas who have breastfeeding blinkies in their siggys.

Bethany, mama to M (9), J (7), S (4), and baby BOY 9/13/10!!
#10 of 190 Old 06-27-2006, 04:38 PM
Banned

Well it DOES take talent to make formula dontcha know.

Talent to wake up in the middle of the night, not to trip over the various things strewn about the home on your way to the kitchen while balancing a screaming hungry baby on your hip.

Talent to accurately measure with eyes half shut with sleep both the formula and the water.

My goodness. It's serious talent to do all that while half asleep and not kill yourself! Especially if you have a 2 storey and the bedrooms are upstairs and the kitchen is downstairs!
#11 of 190 Old 06-27-2006, 04:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've seen similar blinkies like "Happy, Healthy, 100% Formula-Fed Baby" or "Proud Bottle-Feeding Mom." I even saw one that almost made me cry - it had a picture of a little boy and said "My mom fed me formula, cut off half my penis, and let me cry myself to sleep, but I love her anyway!" This was a REAL signature! This woman was PROUD of all these choices!

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
#12 of 190 Old 06-27-2006, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla
Yup

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#13 of 190 Old 06-27-2006, 04:53 PM

It's just a response to the 'I make breastmilk - what's your superpower?" stuff you see around.
#14 of 190 Old 06-27-2006, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeosMama
She feels inadequate and guilty and that women who 'choose' to lactate make those who choose to FF look inferior.
Or she feels inadequate and guilty because those who are able to breastfeed are bragging about it while she wanted desperately to breastfeed and couldn't.

I had that reaction too, while I was supplementing with formula and feeling like a failure because I couldn't manage to breastfeed exclusively. I'd see those sigs on posts from women who had NO clue what I was going through, and it felt like a personal attack, like "I'm a better mom than you because I'm breastfeeding."

I'm all for breastfeeding, but I don't get these bragging-style sigs and T-shirts. It seems like all they're for is to make other people feel bad, and that's not going to accomplish anything. It's certainly not going to make them more inclined to breastfeed.
#15 of 190 Old 06-27-2006, 05:00 PM

Personally, I think it takes ignorance to make formula and then boast about it. Maybe Target will sell this on a T-shirt?:

Jen-loving Bill, mama to Teryn 18, Kalyn 16, Ricky 13, Natalie 5, Angel Zoe '07 and rainbow1284.gifAmelia Rae 22 mos bonus kids (dss) W 14, W 13 NEW grandbaby due 10/10/11

#16 of 190 Old 06-27-2006, 05:31 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
As far as I'm concerned, if you're making all the breastmilk you can and you're also supplementing with donor milk and/or formula in an SNS, you have just as much right to the "I make breastmilk, what's your superpower" as any other nursing mom!

It says "I make breastmilk" not "I make enough breastmilk so I don't have to supplement."

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#17 of 190 Old 06-27-2006, 05:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
i mean, really, what's so magnificently miraculous about measuring and pouring?
Go read some mainstream FF boards and you'll see. Over half of them seem to be drooling idiots who can't grasp the idea that you have to measure. Seriously. I'm not knocking FFrs in general (I FF the twins and supplemented DD before going to FF full time) but some of these people are stupid.
#18 of 190 Old 06-27-2006, 05:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
For some reason, on FF boards, 80% of the posts are titled "What formula do you use?" 10% are "Should I change formula?" or "How to change formulas?" and 10% are rants about mean pushy self-righteous breastfeeders.

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
#19 of 190 Old 06-27-2006, 06:36 PM

Quote:
As far as I'm concerned, if you're making all the breastmilk you can and you're also supplementing with donor milk and/or formula in an SNS, you have just as much right to the "I make breastmilk, what's your superpower" as any other nursing mom!

It says "I make breastmilk" not "I make enough breastmilk so I don't have to supplement."
ITA

Twin boys 04/2005 : Support breastfeeding rights at FirstRight.Org : warrior
Face the rear for MORE than a year! Toddlers' necks are safest in a rear facing carseat
#20 of 190 Old 06-27-2006, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minkajane
I've seen similar blinkies like "Happy, Healthy, 100% Formula-Fed Baby" or "Proud Bottle-Feeding Mom." I even saw one that almost made me cry - it had a picture of a little boy and said "My mom fed me formula, cut off half my penis, and let me cry myself to sleep, but I love her anyway!" This was a REAL signature! This woman was PROUD of all these choices!
Damn.
#21 of 190 Old 06-27-2006, 07:38 PM

Quote:
#22 of 190 Old 06-27-2006, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelGS
When her body starts making that in response to the birth of a child and putting it forth at exactly the moment that her child is hungry, she can get back to me.
:
I was going to say something to that effect...
#23 of 190 Old 06-27-2006, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter

I understand why it says what it says, but it's annoying nonetheless.
#24 of 190 Old 06-27-2006, 09:42 PM

Quote:

Sure, and what about when my supply finally dried up at 9 months because he preferred the bottle to me and I couldn't pump enough to keep it going?

I hate seeing those "superpower" sigs. All they do is make me feel bad. I wish someone would make one that said "I'm a mom, what's your superpower?" Because THAT is the important thing as far as I'm concerned. And every time I see one of those "superpower" sigs, I'm thinking, "I get up two or three times a night to snuggle and bottle-nurse my baby, I hug him, kiss him, play with him, teach him games, sing songs to him, and love him more than anything else in the world - but none of that matters if I'm not breastfeeding?"
#25 of 190 Old 06-27-2006, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstkid4me
I understand why it says what it says, but it's annoying nonetheless.
That's exactly how I feel about the original sig.
#26 of 190 Old 06-27-2006, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Well, that just makes me want to find this lady and throw up on her.
#27 of 190 Old 06-27-2006, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Sounds about right!
#28 of 190 Old 06-27-2006, 10:59 PM

Quote:
For some reason, on FF boards, 80% of the posts are titled "What formula do you use?" 10% are "Should I change formula?" or "How to change formulas?" and 10% are rants about mean pushy self-righteous breastfeeders.
Don't forget all the coupon trading.
#29 of 190 Old 06-27-2006, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pookel
Sure, and what about when my supply finally dried up at 9 months because he preferred the bottle to me and I couldn't pump enough to keep it going?

I hate seeing those "superpower" sigs. All they do is make me feel bad. I wish someone would make one that said "I'm a mom, what's your superpower?" Because THAT is the important thing as far as I'm concerned. And every time I see one of those "superpower" sigs, I'm thinking, "I get up two or three times a night to snuggle and bottle-nurse my baby, I hug him, kiss him, play with him, teach him games, sing songs to him, and love him more than anything else in the world - but none of that matters if I'm not breastfeeding?"
I'm sorry. THis is the LACTIVISM board, not the "make everyone feel good about their choices" board. If you can't handle the formula bashing, maybe you shouldn't visit the lactivism board.
#30 of 190 Old 06-27-2006, 11:26 PM

Woo-HOO!! That woman figured out the magical ratio of ONE scoop to every TWO ounces, I guess! Wow, I'm so amazed.

I'm proud that I'm breastfeeding, and am part of the minority who believes in my body. I think that producing milk is an amazing gift as a woman. I understand that there are a few who can't, but that doesn't make it any less magical to me. I think that my ability to grow a perfect, healthy baby is magical and call it a superpower. Not meant to be a blow to anyone who is unable, or to make them feel guilty on purpose. I know women who can't carry a child, and while sometimes being around pregnant women makes them feel bad, they still recognize how special a gift it is.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page