24 hour breastfeeding hotline - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 06-29-2006, 11:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does one exist? I remember when I was nursing my first week. Late at night, crying because of the pain my nipples were in and unsure if I was doing things correctly. I had seen the LC in the hospital, but it was still all so new to me. I remember one night I was so tired, hurt, confused that I thought about giving up and remembered that can of formula with the breastfeeding bag I had received in the hospital. I fought myself hard that night and breastfeeding won. I'm so proud of myself for that. For not giving in. But, during those nights at 2, 3, 4am I could have used a nursing mother or an LC to talk to. My baby was hungry right THEN. Not just during 9-5. Does a 24 hour nursing hotline exist?

Mama to : '05, '08, '10 and expecting our 3rd homebirth.jpgJanuary '13

#2 of 7 Old 06-29-2006, 11:49 PM

I feel like I saw an ad for one in the current mothering mag. I'll try to look it up.
#3 of 7 Old 06-30-2006, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks!

Mama to : '05, '08, '10 and expecting our 3rd homebirth.jpgJanuary '13

#4 of 7 Old 06-30-2006, 01:18 PM

1-800-LALECHE

After hours, the staff is volunteer. On occassion, there won't be a volunteer for a night, but it is almost always staffed. The volunteers expect those 2:00 am calls.
#5 of 7 Old 06-30-2006, 03:26 PM

The hospital where I delivered had a 24-hour hotline, and it was FANTASTIC! I called them more than once at 2am with bf'ing questions. If I remember correctly, from 9a-5p, it was staffed by a certified LC, and at night it was staffed by nurses on the OB floor. It seemed like a pretty BF-friendly hospital, and I always got good advice from the OB nurses at night.

That's good to know the LLL hotline. I'll definitely recommend that to expectant friends in the future.

Nichole
wife to Sasha, mom to Marlena, nursed for 3.5 years, aunt to 3 adorable nephews
#6 of 7 Old 06-30-2006, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bear's Mama
1-800-LALECHE

After hours, the staff is volunteer. On occassion, there won't be a volunteer for a night, but it is almost always staffed. The volunteers expect those 2:00 am calls.
argh! why did no one tell me about this number the first time around?! i had no idea this existed!!

i think this number should be given to every new mom who leaves the hospital. standard procedure. that would have really helped!

they could put it in those "breastfeeding bags" in place of the formula samples. :

successful #2 Jan. 25th - welcome Maisie Elise!
#7 of 7 Old 06-30-2006, 05:36 PM

It looks like what I saw was a breastfeeding resource storre. 1-800-801-MILK. P 42 of the current mothering.
-
-

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page