Today's nurse-in: How did it go??????? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-01-2006, 08:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lots of Mamas (maybe a dozen?), about 4 dads, and a dozen babies or so here. Ds nursed to sleep after about a half hour on the boob. Our VS was very supportive, so for the few who asked, we said it was more about raising awareness than a protest. Very nice experience!

me dh ds1 (11/04) ds2 (7/10) and
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2006, 08:44 PM

:
and she's lovely and gracious and she did a fantastic job of talking to the media. a photographer, two reporters, and a newscamera, and about 15 moms, tons of kids and several dads, too.
much talking and lots of laughing and when we were done lots of us smiled and waved at the frog pond in the boston common and our day ended up with a free swan boat ride and a free T ride home (gotta love that elevator entrance in downtown crossing where you can never seem to pay but the door is always open).
absolutely delightful and i will sleep rested and feeling like i did something today.
i really did something today.
thank you snooter.
Old 07-01-2006, 08:49 PM

Houston Galleria had a nice turn out. I didn't actually count but I'd say there was 15 or so mamas there, a few dads, and lots of darling kiddos.

We sat outside VS and nursed and a few people asked what we were doing. The women who worked at VS though were pretty rude. They actually sprayed perfume at us over and over (as if we were dirty??) One mama posited that it was their version of tear gas! HAHAHAHA.

When I got home, I passed dd to her daddy so he could hold her a bit. He said "wow, you smell like perfume. what did mama do?" and I almost died laughing. I said "it wasn't mama, it was those b@$%#ches at VS." HAHAHAHA.

XOXO
Beth

P.S. A few people took pics. I hope they post them!!

mama to Milena Anjali (4/26/06) and Vincent Asher (4/13/09) ~ married to the love of my life since 2002.
Old 07-01-2006, 08:50 PM

Our nursing was AWESOME. WE had 25+ moms, plus their babies/toddler/children, older children, and quite a few dads (who went to get some luch during the activities)!!

We were there four about an hour and a half.
We gave the VS manager a hand out I made with the press release, some articles and stuff.
They later came out to invite us in, said we could use their lounge area if we needed to sit and nurse (as there's limited benches outside), walk through the store...anything.
The mall security and the mall manager were a little less welcoming. They came up, said hi, 'adviced us' that it was private property and they had the right to ask us to leave, and asked what the plan was. She then went in to talk to the VS manager, and came back out and said it was OK for us to stay, and that we could even go in the store.

Later we found out (from the VS manager) the mall manager asked her if they wanted us removed. To which the VS manager said, as she told us the story: "I told her it was totally fine, that you guys are welcome here, and in our store. That we're ashamed someone in our store treated nursing moms the way they did, it's totally unacceptable and we are very sorry it happened...somewhere in the east right? It's a shame. Again..."

The VS manager was an absolute darling! She said there has been talk of a nursing bra by VS, and that it just takes time, just like it took time for them to get a sports bra out (which is new I guess). But that they were working on not only the nursing bra, but expanding their band with to 40+ and having more AA bras.

One of the ladies' daughter even had her make up done while we where there.

We handed out some 'press releases' to those intrigued by our presence, and while we did get two "disgusting" looks (by women) most everyone was supportive, and thrilled to see so many babies. Even a pregnant woman took a release and said she was really interested in reading it.

As we walked out the mall I noticed a VS employee on break, sitting on a bench, reading through the hand out I gave her manager. The hand out had the press release, the state's breastfeeding laws, the past incident with VS, and other pro-breastfeeding articles.

YAY Way to go las vegas!!!!!:

You can see pictures of our nursing on www.breastfeeding.com, they should be up soon.

However, no media attended. They were not allowed in property, and didn't call to set up interviews. BUT, I'll be emailing pix about it to see if they get at least something in the broadcast.
Old 07-01-2006, 08:51 PM

I was one of those lone nursers in Trumbull, CT. I had my husband with me, and met 2 other supporters (one from this board). My 11 month old, who usually nursers for just a minute or 2 at a time, actually nursed for around 10 minutes in the sling while I walked around the store. I have complemented my babe many times for helping with the nurse in!

I didn't get any comments. I was just asked normal questions of if I needed any help looking for anything. Some people smiled but mostly didn't bat an eyelash - which I take as a good sign! After nursing through the store my husband and I went elsewhere.

Di

, , , , , to DD1 (4.5 years old) and DD2 (7 months) and 2
Old 07-01-2006, 08:56 PM

just got back from the omaha, NE nurse-in.....which consisted of two people, myself and a friend (babykaoss on this board). i had sent press releases to all the local news stations, not sure if any of them would even bother, but one did, and they interviewed me! so, i'll be on the 10 pm news tonight!

it was weird...while we were in the store, the head of security came in and talked to one of the clerks (who was standing next to us) and said "well, if things start getting crazy around here, you just give us a call and we'll come take care of it." WTF?! cause, ya know, we might just cause a ruckus....:

then, outside the store, 3 cops and 2 security guards were standing around, keeping an eye on everyone passing by. when we walked past, the female officer stopped us to coo over our babies...then we left. with them still standing around, anticipating some kind of horrible disturbing of the peace, i guess, none the wiser that those radicals they were supposed to be keeping an eye out for had just slipped away!

anyways, the staff were all very nice to us, and not a single person said anything about sarah nursing (my own babe was sleeping so soundly i didn't have the heart to wake her!).

looking forward to watching the news tonight (and at the same time absolutely terrified! i've never been on the news before. i hope i did a good job!)

anyways, the staff was very friendly, never

successful #2 Jan. 25th - welcome Maisie Elise!
Old 07-01-2006, 09:01 PM

I missed it. Bella was SO FUSSY there was no taking her out. She's fine now though, I'm thinking maybe we'll go and nurse just for fun. And I do have one of those free panty coupons. Great job ladies! I'm really glad to hear there were some good turnouts.
Totally OT, Andi I just realized I forgot to pm you back about the necklace. I sent it out and if you don't have it yet you should by Monday I'd think.

Ali, mama to my amazing Arabella 1/14/06
Newly married to Patrick love.gif Expecting someone new in April!
Old 07-01-2006, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djinneyah

it was weird...while we were in the store, the head of security came in and talked to one of the clerks (who was standing next to us) and said "well, if things start getting crazy around here, you just give us a call and we'll come take care of it." WTF?! cause, ya know, we might just cause a ruckus....:
You crazy nursing moms might start spraying the walls and bras in the store!:

Mama to : '05, '08, '10 and expecting our 3rd homebirth.jpgJanuary '13

Old 07-01-2006, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aileen
:
and she's lovely and gracious and she did a fantastic job of talking to the media. a photographer, two reporters, and a newscamera, and about 15 moms, tons of kids and several dads, too.
much talking and lots of laughing and when we were done lots of us smiled and waved at the frog pond in the boston common and our day ended up with a free swan boat ride and a free T ride home (gotta love that elevator entrance in downtown crossing where you can never seem to pay but the door is always open).
absolutely delightful and i will sleep rested and feeling like i did something today.
i really did something today.
thank you snooter.
You are too nice! I was more than happy to share my blanket! I wish I had brought a few more in fact. Thanks so much to everyone in Boston and around the country for showing up, even if it was a lone nurser. I'm so proud of everyone!

Mama to : '05, '08, '10 and expecting our 3rd homebirth.jpgJanuary '13

Old 07-01-2006, 09:07 PM

Here in Dundee IL we had 3 nursing mamas including myself, 1 dad, and one supporter. Not the big turnout we'd hoped for, but it was still nice to be a part of the whole thing and to meet some new people. We just sat outside the store on some benches and nursed and chatted. At one point we saw a babywearing mom with 2 young children and we thought she was joining us, but she walked right on by.

I'm LOVING the pictures, keem em coming!

Bethany, mama to M (9), J (7), S (4), and baby BOY 9/13/10!!
Old 07-01-2006, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kissum
Totally OT, Andi I just realized I forgot to pm you back about the necklace. I sent it out and if you don't have it yet you should by Monday I'd think.
no problem! thanks for letting me know. i'll PM you when it gets here

successful #2 Jan. 25th - welcome Maisie Elise!
Old 07-01-2006, 09:08 PM

We had a great time at the Boston nurse-in today. I got to meet Aileen and Snooter! Thanks everyone, for showing up and supporting NIP!
Old 07-01-2006, 09:15 PM

My son has weaned, so we just showed up as emotional support. We were really early, and no one was there, so we went to the food court for a bite to eat. We were delayed (messy preschooler issues), and when we came back, it was about 1:10, and we didn't see anyone. We did walk around the store. I was wearing my "Breast Milk Is Brain Food" shirt. And we hung out outside of the store for a bit. But, no one came. I don't know if we missed them entirely, or no one showed up at my local VS. But, I had to leave to pick up a friend.

You can find me on Facebook. PM for info.
Old 07-01-2006, 09:21 PM

Great job mamas!!(and your kids too!)

Mama to three wonderful boys and a fabulous baby girl.
My heartfelt thanks to all those that have donated milk to others; you are amazing
Old 07-01-2006, 09:22 PM

Only 3 moms, and 2 dads, with a total of 4 kids. felt like a bust. We were all wearing our lactivism t shirts, but a lot of the folks who said they would show up wound up going to the WEst Town Mall. We werent encouraged at all!
Old 07-01-2006, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Houston Galleria had a nice turn out. I didn't actually count but I'd say there was 15 or so mamas there, a few dads, and lots of darling kiddos.

We sat outside VS and nursed and a few people asked what we were doing. The women who worked at VS though were pretty rude. They actually sprayed perfume at us over and over (as if we were dirty??) One mama posited that it was their version of tear gas! HAHAHAHA.

When I got home, I passed dd to her daddy so he could hold her a bit. He said "wow, you smell like perfume. what did mama do?" and I almost died laughing. I said "it wasn't mama, it was those b@$%#ches at VS." HAHAHAHA.

Yep, I was there and had a great time!!

My baby smelled a bit like perfume too, lol!!

Crunchy, Christ-lovin' mama to dd13, ds8, dd6, dd5, ds3  homeschool.gif intactlact.gif saynovax.gifuc.jpg

Old 07-01-2006, 09:26 PM

Just wanted to say that I am glad I went. It was so nice to meet other moms.

Also, there was just a blurp on the Chicago Fox new about it!. That two moms had been directed to bathrooms to nurse their babies and that women had gathered outside many stores to raise awareness of breastfeeding laws. (I tivo'ed it, I will have to watch it again so I can actually quote it).

Done with diapers!!

Old 07-01-2006, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessjgh1
Oh, I HAD my camera and forgot to take a picture.... darn it.
Jessica
Oh, but that's really ok. LOL I'm just so not a fan of getting my picture taken, specially when I'm all hugely pregnant and sweaty from chasing a toddler.

Mom to DD#1 8/04, nursed 43 months, DD#2 8/06, nursed 21 months and DD#3 9/08, still nursing strong
Old 07-01-2006, 09:40 PM

We had two mama's in Paducah KY. It was real uneventful, but they were ready for us and had security coming in and out of the store looking for trouble I guess. That's real funny, like I was going to be real crazy with babe attached!!
Anyway the manager was nice and said they are welcoming to nursing mamas and have no problem with us. We nodded and suggested they make some nursing bras because we would buy them. She agreed they should make some and showed us a bra that could be used as a nursing bra.
Well that was about it. Still glad I went! Thanks for getting this all together. It amazes me what we can do.
blessings, Sarah Dallas

Mama of 4 all born at home : Mothering
Old 07-01-2006, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akafrogs

Also, there was just a blurp on the Chicago Fox new about it!. That two moms had been directed to bathrooms to nurse their babies and that women had gathered outside many stores to raise awareness of breastfeeding laws. (I tivo'ed it, I will have to watch it again so I can actually quote it).
Really?!? I contacted Fox but they never got back to me. I'll have to check the 9 oclock news and see if they mention it.

Bethany, mama to M (9), J (7), S (4), and baby BOY 9/13/10!!
Old 07-01-2006, 09:54 PM

I was also at Oakbrook Mall in Illinois. I loved it! My kids were at first more interested in the fountains (and throwing their toys into them : ), but eventually Toby asked to nurse, so I latched him on, then carried him around the store.

A very perky and nice sales associate asked me if she could help me, and I asked where the nursing bras were. She explained that while they don't have any, they do have a particular bra (I forget the name of it) that is great for nursing mamas because it has no underwire and is soft. To me, those aren't necessarily the criteria for a good nursing bra, but I give her credit for being VERY friendly and not batting an eye that I was nursing my son while talking to her. He's 20-months-old, and to a lot of people that's a big baby to nurse, so I was glad she seemed very cool about it.

Anyway, I had a great time and felt like the sales associates definitely noticed that we were there. And all the other moms and dads were so nice. Yay!
Old 07-01-2006, 10:00 PM

We were at Park Meadows Mall, and I know there was a group at Cherry Creek also. How did that one go??

There were six or seven of us there in Denver with various ages of kiddos and some dads too! First we walked around the store bfing, then we sat on the floor in the back of the store, then we sat right outside the store at the entrance. We saw a couple of security guards, but no one said "boo" to us the whole time. There was a reporter there from our local ABC affiliate (Channel 7) who took some footage and interviewed one of the moms. They didn't show the coverage on the 5:00 newscast, we'll see if they add it at 10:00.

Me : living with and loving papa and the kids: Dd1 8/97 , dd2 8/04 and my sweet baby ds 5/09 : :
Old 07-01-2006, 10:01 PM

I went to the mall by vs hq here in ohio. We had two times planned, the main one was suppost to be 11. I got there first at 10:30. Another mom showed up with her toddler () at 11 and we sat on a bench near the store entrance and nursed for a minute. Both of our babies are distractable though so it didnt last long. Another mom showed up after we were done nursing and hung out for a minute. We then went in and asked for a manager. We told them that we were there and we gave them a copy of the press release with the Ohio bfing law at the bottom. They said that they knew about the event and they welcomed bfing moms in the store and in all the stores (one said that she had worked in 4 VSs and they never minded it when moms nursed).

We hung around the mall and met up with another mom for the 1pm one. In that mall there are two VSs. At 1 we started at the bigger one, then went to the other one that we had been at that morning. We gave the press release/law paper to the big stores manager as well.

on my way home I stopped by a smaller mall near my house. They were nice and seemed like they didnt really know much about it. I gave them the sheet with the press release and Ohio laws on it and the manager said she would post it in the back for the employees.

ok, pics:

11am small store

1pm big store
Old 07-01-2006, 10:06 PM

It went wonderfully today. We had about 10 families total show up. So between mamas, kids, and daddies... 25ish people? Victoria's Secret opened their doors to us and let us sit inside and nurse our babies/toddlers openly. No one even used blankets and half of us had toddlers! We were all sitting in a loose circle and openly discussed breastfeeding, attachment parenting, co-sleeping, placenta eating (wink wink), our opposing views w/ mainstream parenting, etc. We received a lot of stares and more than a few people stopped to ask us questions.

One father pushing his baby in a stroller (with a bottle in hand), stopped and talked to us! Hopefully there was breastmilk in that bottle, but if not, maybe when/if his next child comes around he will be in a better position to support/encourage his wife to breastfeed.

I was very impressed. I just love California!
Old 07-01-2006, 10:11 PM

Nurse in Success...Concord, Californina.....

When I first got there at 12:50, I saw noone so I went into the store wearing my baby... I saw woman with babies, but they were really shopping, and engaged with salesclerks... 2 employees asked if I needed anything, I said I was just looking around (for nursing mommas *wink* I thought to myself) There were SO many customers.. when I got closer to the back of the store, I noticed 2 VERY large men in back shirts with walkie talkies, kinda having a "meeting", is what it looked like.. I thought, oh man they are waiting for us...

I went back outside and approached a mother that was just standing there with her 2 kids and asked if she was waiting to join a nurse in.. Sadly she was looking for her lost little boy (9yrs old) I got a description and promised to keep an eye out for him, as mall security came up to help her.

One by one the momma's started showing up.. I gave them the desciption of the lost boy... We waited for everyone to gather outside the store.

We had 6 moms, 3 Daddies(one who took the day off just to attend!)
and 8 babies & toddlers! One baby was only 3 weeks old, homebirthed and not even named yet! SO sweet & little!!!!!
Another mom and I had collected the free panty coupons and we handed them out to the others.

Then we all went into VS, about 1:15 in a group ...asked where the free panties were, then plopped ourselves right down in front of the display. VS was ready for us... they did not harrass us, or ask us to leave. One asked our member Diana if she would like a dressing room and she told them she was comfortable right where she was. We were told though, that picture taking was *NOT ALLOWED* in the store, but that was after Diana's husband already took 2 pics...

My baby(14mos) was kinda too distracted to nurse for long while I was sitting on the floor, so I followed the lead of one tandem nursing momma, and sat her on a display table, stood in front of her and let her latch on that way... so she was nursing and pulling on a g-string on the manequin next to her! Hillarious! ...

When we were done, we took more pics outside the store, then some of us went back in to get our free panties. They asked if wanted the $10off sports bra and I informed them they need to carry larger sizes & nursing bras.(I went from a 36c to a 36f due to nursing) Then I told her it was guaranteed that they will go back down after baby decides she no longer wants to nurse, then I could shop there... lol.. she kinda looked at me strange... lol

It was nice to meet other nursing mother's from the community.
SO... I think it was a success... simply because it was obvious VS Corporate was aware of this Nationwide nurse in and notified their stores accordingly... the employees barley batted an eye at us and just let us do our thing.

I will try to post pics as soon as I can.

No Media showed up... I had contacted the local paper and the cbs news.

~Cynthia
(OT)
Sorry you didn't make it EVC.. I hope I meet you some other time!
Here is the link for the AP group I co-organise if you want to join....

http://attachmentparenting.meetup.com/275/

We don't have set days and times for playdates.. we are 2 working moms that organise it so we are really flexible and try to do things when it's conveinient for others.

~Single Working Mama of two
Old 07-01-2006, 10:11 PM

Roanoke VA,
Pretty unventful. Just me, DH, and DS. We sat on a bench outside the store DS kept yanking my shirt up so I'm sure we got a few peoples attention!
Old 07-01-2006, 10:18 PM

I was late. I showed up at 1:15pm and there were tons of mamas, papas, and children outside (maybe about 20 plus people). I thought we had made it in time, but they had already finished.
From what I heard they nursed inside and the employees pretty much ignored everyone.
Lots of passerbys wanting to know what was going on.
Everyone hung out for over an hour chatting it up. Fox met us all down at the bus stop and two mamas were interviewed while we all nursed the babes in the background. Should be on tonight at 10pm and also on thier website.
will post pics later.
Old 07-01-2006, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmama
We were at Park Meadows Mall, and I know there was a group at Cherry Creek also. How did that one go??

There were six or seven of us there in Denver with various ages of kiddos and some dads too! First we walked around the store bfing, then we sat on the floor in the back of the store, then we sat right outside the store at the entrance. We saw a couple of security guards, but no one said "boo" to us the whole time. There was a reporter there from our local ABC affiliate (Channel 7) who took some footage and interviewed one of the moms. They didn't show the coverage on the 5:00 newscast, we'll see if they add it at 10:00.
Oh good, I am so glad the media was there!! I contacted all the stations but no one called me back. I wondered if they would cover Cherry Creek since it's more downtown. I will watch the news tonight to see what they say!
Old 07-01-2006, 10:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I went to the Fairfield Commons Mall in Beavercreek, OH. I wore DS in the Mei Tai and wandered around VS nursing him. I wore a cami under my shirt so my belly wasn't hanging out. I think some of the associates were talking about me, but I may have just been paranoid. One of them did keep asking me if she could help me.

Unfortunately, I seemed to be the only one there, but DS sure enjoyed our NIP and it was the first time I've nursed in the Mei Tai, so it was fun for me too!

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
Old 07-01-2006, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annakiss
Nurse-in Cleveland went swimmingly! ...

About fifteen moms showed up with their children/nurslings/families and our local paper with a reporter and a photographer.
My daughter and I attended (even though she weaned about 2 years ago) to show our support. Here are three pictures we took which came out well:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sandyfr...7594183963294/

Anna did a great job with getting people to attend the event, and with getting press attention for it.

The nursing moms sat outside the store on the curb, watching the chalk artists and nursing their babies. At about 1:30, most of the moms went into the store to browse for 10 or 15 minutes. They circulated through the entire store, and several nursed babies in slings or sat down out of the flow of shoppers and nursed babies in their laps in the store.

It was wonderful to see so many moms proudly nursing in public, and delightful that there were no negative reactions observed!

User Tag List