Today's nurse-in: How did it go??????? - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-02-2006, 01:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Cleveland (again)
All told, there were (if my math is correct) 46 mamas/nurslings/kids/husbands/supporters in attendance at the Cleveland nurse-in plus one reporter and one photographer and 4 ppl walking by who said something like "are you guys doing that nurse-in?" In fact, two young guys came by and said, "It's 1:02! I thought there was supposed to be nursing mothers here!" I don't know what they were doing or why, but they did. Anyway:
More Pics! http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...mxZtMk&notag=1

anna kiss partner to jon radical mama to aleks (8/02) and bastian (5/05)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2006, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annakiss
Cleveland (again)
All told, there were (if my math is correct) 46 mamas/nurslings/kids/husbands/supporters in attendance at the Cleveland nurse-in plus one reporter and one photographer and 4 ppl walking by who said something like "are you guys doing that nurse-in?" In fact, two young guys came by and said, "It's 1:02! I thought there was supposed to be nursing mothers here!" I don't know what they were doing or why, but they did. Anyway:
More Pics! http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...mxZtMk&notag=1
: They were looking for the free burlesque show. You didn't get the choreography and music for the number?
Old 07-02-2006, 01:51 AM

Yeah!!! I just saw the CBS local news. They gave us about 90 seconds. Said 3 local moms joined hundreds of nursing mothers across the country. As they were speaking they showed us with our babies in their various slings/wraps talking as the reporter spoke over us. Lisha (one of the moms, I know she lurks here and she said she is planning on joining up!) sounded great. They showed her saying We hope to bring about awarness of the need for better federal and state laws to protect our right to feed our children in public. I thought it was really great that she said feed our children instead of nurse or breastfeed because it makes people really think about what is being said. They said that this came about because 2 mothers were told to nurse in the restroom and that one of the mothers was even told that breastfeeding was unsanitary. I think they also mentioned that Ohio protects NIP. They also said that they spoke with the VS spokesperson and he said that VS allows bfing moms to nurse whereever they feel most comfortable. Very Positive

Oh, you could also see my older daughter with her baby in a sling too! And a close-up of Sage that showed a bunchof her teeth, so yes, you can nurse a toddler with teeth! (Well, she is 13 months, not walking yet though)
Old 07-02-2006, 02:25 AM

I just wanted to say how proud I am of everyone! You all did so amazing in organizing this and I think it's just a testament to the serious power of the internet. (heck, if only we could sway other things...). much much love to y'all!!!

Old 07-02-2006, 02:27 AM

Quote:
I just wanted to say how proud I am of everyone! You all did so amazing in organizing this and I think it's just a testament to the serious power of the internet. (heck, if only we could sway other things...). much much love to y'all!!!
A more mainstream person said that they hadn't heard anything of the nurse-in so we must not have done a very good job of organizing it, and I just said that we did everything via the net, you can't micromanage like this, it would drive the person insane (well, maybe you could, but not in a little over 8 days.) Maybe they're just not hanging with the right circles :
Old 07-02-2006, 02:30 AM

It made the news here, only about a minute of coverage, but the point was made!!
Old 07-02-2006, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyBear
It was me and two other mamas at one of our local VSs today. My DS didn't want to nurse but the other two nursed their babies. They got a dirty look from a sales associate but that was about it. I was hoping there would be a bigger turnout but oh well.
Rachel, I was so upset that I couldn't go. DH got back from Dodge City right at 1:15, so I couldn't make it. I was thinking about running up there, but didn't make it
Old 07-02-2006, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstkid4me
A more mainstream person said that they hadn't heard anything of the nurse-in so we must not have done a very good job of organizing it, and I just said that we did everything via the net, you can't micromanage like this, it would drive the person insane (well, maybe you could, but not in a little over 8 days.) Maybe they're just not hanging with the right circles :
It may very well be the circles I hang in - I had a reporter call me the other day after I sent out the press release and a woman called me this morning to verify the time & place (she showed, a little late, but still!). I think here in Cleveland we're very organized on the crunchy side. heck - I walked in here 2 years ago from Montana and had a whole built-in crunchy community. We now have our own forum and monthly meetings and whatnot. It's a great place to be! Though we may be sheltering one another just a wee bit. But who cares! It feels good!

Old 07-02-2006, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Cleveland (again)
In fact, two young guys came by and said, "It's 1:02! I thought there was supposed to be nursing mothers here!" I don't know what they were doing or why, but they did.
I think that is hilarious. Where are the boobs?
Old 07-02-2006, 03:05 AM

I've enjoyed reading you mommas' stories. Unfortunately my dd was sick so we couldn't make it. I did nurse her at 1:00pm though.

Heather Mike Married 8/1/99 Mom to Charlotte Aug 04, Nov 06, and Katherine Oct 07
Old 07-02-2006, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joannarachel

When we left I could definitely see the clerks giving each other knowing "Yay! The Hippies are leaving!" looks

Oh, we left some breastmilk behind too; one mama's son spit up right after her feeding, and my dd pulled off mid let down and refused to latch on for a moment, so I sprayed the floor pretty copiously, unfortunately
I don't really see this as being very respectful.
I work at VS, and was working today for the nurse-in.
I DID nurse my two sons, but would never have made a mess and left it behind. ESPECIALLY if trying to make a point about BFing being nice, naturaL, ETC. Why would anyone go into a place of business, make any kind of mess (whether it be food, which this WAS, or anything else), and not clean it up? And then post with a "LOL" after it?

I cleaned up after some of these feeding mamas, and while I fully support breastfeeing, natural parenting, all that; I can't say it's acceptable to brag about making a mess of any kind for someone to clean up after.

I came to this board to fully understand the issues surrounding the nurse-in, only to find this. Can't approve as I may have, sorry. Very disapointed, in at least a couple of your views. Which this whole nurse-in is about. One person handled something immaturely (A VS employee), and people scream about it. Well group of people going in, making ANY sort of mess, laughing about it (and others joining in), are close enough.

good job, lost respect for at least some of the people participating.
Old 07-02-2006, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsmom2two
I DID nurse my two sons, but would never have made a mess and left it behind. ESPECIALLY if trying to make a point about BFing being nice, naturaL, ETC. Why would anyone go into a place of business, make any kind of mess (whether it be food, which this WAS, or anything else), and not clean it up? And then post with a "LOL" after it?

I cleaned up after some of these feeding mamas, and while I fully support breastfeeing, natural parenting, all that; I can't say it's acceptable to brag about making a mess of any kind for someone to clean up after.

I came to this board to fully understand the issues surrounding the nurse-in, only to find this. Can't approve as I may have, sorry. Very disapointed, in at least a couple of your views. Which this whole nurse-in is about. One person handled something immaturely (A VS employee), and people scream about it. Well group of people going in, making ANY sort of mess, laughing about it (and others joining in), are close enough.

ahem...(taking the higher road)

welcome to MDC

successful #2 Jan. 25th - welcome Maisie Elise!
Old 07-02-2006, 03:51 AM

(copied & pasted from other thread... )

*whew* I JUST got home from the nurse-in at the Southland mall in/near Detroit. We made it there a bit after 1, and found 5 or 6 moms already nursing in the store. The salesgirls were keeping a close eye on us, and the manager was not very happy (but she struck me as the sort of woman who never was ), but we weren't bothered. The Fox News reporter had one of the staff photographers come in posing as another supporter, but with a purse cam. The camera malfunctioned, so she just picked it up & shot pics here & there of all of us nursing inside and chatting. After 5-10 minutes the manager noticed & put a stop to the camera, but she already had all she needed.

We left the mall property to do the interviews, and talked a bit with the newsreporter & photographer. Both had come in during their time/day off to do the story -- they didn't want to chance another story coming up for the regular (short) weekend staff and it not getting done -- very nice!

I went in to VS later in the day (I was stuck their until the boys were ready for bed as I couldn't subject them to another awake 2 1/2 hour drive), and was treated very nicely. It had to be apparant that I nursed the boys in the dressing room (I tried on a couple bras, & you know how dc are when they see the nursies... ), but the saleslady didn't even blink. Of course the grumpy manager was no where to be found...

All in all -- a great experience!!
Old 07-02-2006, 04:02 AM

No one at the store I work with was bothered.
I found the entire event peaceful which is why I wanted more info. But it is reasonable for me to be bothered by the above comment.
Old 07-02-2006, 04:11 AM

Quote:
No one at the store I work with was bothered.
I found the entire event peaceful which is why I wanted more info. But it is reasonable for me to be bothered by the above comment.
I'm not sure why you are bothered by the comment I made? I commented that we were left alone (i.e. not bothered). I did not insinuate that anyone else was...in fact, I think everyone here has commented that the vs employees were all courteous/professional. I was simply sharing my story. The fact that we were not bothered is a relevant part of the story.

And re: the breastmilk on the floor comments... how exactly do you clean up a thin spray/droplets off carpet? I would guess they were invisible & impossible to find by the time they hit the floor. I would also hazard a guess that the mom in question used the emoticon because we all know how sometimes these things happen -- I don't think she had any mean intent. At least it wasn't formula, which would most likely leave a stain if a bottle dropped & some dripped out.

I hope you stay & read more at mothering.com, perhaps you will learn a bit more about us and understand our feelings & points of view. No one here is trying to be mean to vs.
Old 07-02-2006, 04:35 AM

I wasn't bothered really by your post. In fact, had already read in the original post.

I know that when I would venture out with my son in a sling, I would normally have wipes with me. I would not have considered leaving a mess of any sort. Had it been formula, I would have cleaned it up as well. I was lazy, and didn't usually carry a diaper bag or even a purse. it was wipes and two diaper, and my wallet and keys tosed in. So seems like the person with original post, laughing spitting up would have had wipes maybe, since they had a baby? Or one of the moms with would have had wipes?

Anyplace that my baby spit up i would have cleaned it up, be my house, my MIL's, a store, whatever. That was the part that I found rude.

I do find the entire toic interesting. And I am glad the associates were nice. I have, a number of times, asked a mom with a crying baby (not nursing) if they might like to feed and/or change the baby in a dressing room. I very well remember the helplessness a mom can feel when her baby suddenly screams of hunger and not knowing where to go. That I can feel compassion for, and until only a couple of months ago, I would start to "leak" at that sound Not cute, but there nonetheless

I do appreciate the comments from the other members of the nurse-in. I just felt that this comment was not too nice. And like i said, all it takes is one person acting immature about an incident to make a bad name (like one bad associate at VS...).
Old 07-02-2006, 04:37 AM

And our floors are tile, so we found it quite easy to clean up. We used regular sanitary wipes Similar to baby wipes, though not as gentle...
Old 07-02-2006, 07:59 AM

I was the only one at my VS in OKC too (Penn Square). I nursed on a bench outside the store, then carried my son up and stood right by the door for a while. We got a lot of people looking, but all of them were smiling. I decided since he was being SO good, I would walk through the store while nursing him. Big mistake. He de-latched, and started pointing at all the bras yelling "Clothes, clothes!" I also asked about carrying nursing bras, and the sales clerk gave me a business card to call corporate and public relations.

Traci
Old 07-02-2006, 09:56 AM

Annakiss, those chalk drawings are so cool!
Old 07-02-2006, 10:22 AM

Boston Herald Report:

http://news.bostonherald.com/localRe...ticleid=146574

Mama to : '05, '08, '10 and expecting our 3rd homebirth.jpgJanuary '13

Old 07-02-2006, 10:31 AM

I was with Joanna in Holyoke. No mess was left behind.

Mama to 3 kiddles. joy.giffencing.gif Doing my best and trying to stay afloat.vbac.gif

Old 07-02-2006, 10:35 AM

annakiss - love the pictures, especially the chalk! The one of you nursing your child in the hotsling is just gorgeous. I love nursing pics (oh and I have been wanting that reversible flashback hotsling for months! you look great wearing it!)
Old 07-02-2006, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotusdebi
My son has weaned, so we just showed up as emotional support. We were really early, and no one was there, so we went to the food court for a bite to eat. We were delayed (messy preschooler issues), and when we came back, it was about 1:10, and we didn't see anyone. We did walk around the store. I was wearing my "Breast Milk Is Brain Food" shirt. And we hung out outside of the store for a bit. But, no one came. I don't know if we missed them entirely, or no one showed up at my local VS. But, I had to leave to pick up a friend.
Deb,
We were there! Lance was sound asleep in the sling so we didn't get to nurse but we walked around and I chatted with one salesgirl about babies. Kind of sad, huh? I'm surprised that no one in our area wanted to participate. I wish we had an advocacy type group, instead of just LLL. It would be great to get together a bunch of moms to actively work at making bf more normal in our area. LLL just doesn't do that kind of thing-it's not their goal.
Oh, I also talked with a mom of a toddler about slings. Maybe slings are easier for people to ask about because they don't involve nudity.

Suzy

mama to 4 boys, 2 kitties and 42 chickens
Old 07-02-2006, 10:51 AM

Houston Galleria

It was so nice to meet a few of the Mamas on here in person
Such a lovely group of Mamas with beautiful nurslings and children

As Beth said we had about 15+ Mamas but a few of us had more than one kiddo there and there were a couple of DHs so I think we looked like an impressive crowd

I feel that a great deal was a accomplished this week. VS was obviously made aware of the discrimination to have sent out a poster to all of their stores and make employees aware of how to treat nursing Mamas That is the best thing that can come of all of this Not how many Mamas showed but that it seems they are making their employees aware that WE have RIGHTS I would definitely say mission accomplished!!!

Keri

Keri wife and Mama to  Cory 17,  Brendan 15,  Kerianne 8,  Avery 7,  Lilia 3
Old 07-02-2006, 11:34 AM

Quote:

Welcome to the boards. Hope you find it a great place to be

Working in retail can be hard, and yes, sometimes messy. When I did work in retail, I can't tell you how many messy people I picked up after. A little spilled milk would have been cake compared to what I have cleaned up.
Old 07-02-2006, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hip_mama
Working in retail can be hard, and yes, sometimes messy. When I did work in retail, I can't tell you how many messy people I picked up after. A little spilled milk would have been cake compared to what I have cleaned up.

Yes welcome!
and as a former retail manager I too can attest to the things cleaned up. I would have welcomed cleaning up a bit of breastmilk compared to coffee spilled, fruit drink smoothies that stain, formula bottles that get tossed out of strollers and spilled (stains big time!) and of course my favorite of all prizes that was left in the fitting room in a nice pile left to clean up on New years day. Not going to mention what it is!

I think the mamas who spilled their breastmilk meant it in a joking fashion and did not mean to litter or anything. Besides it sound like about a 10th of a teaspoon was left. I;m sure the starbucks coffee got more traffic on your tiles than the breastmilk did yesterday on a busy holiday weekend retail day.
I hope you find a home here at mdc but judging from your posts number, you joined this week when you heard we were planning a nurse in to check it out. Stick around and you will find we arent that bad at all:

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
Old 07-02-2006, 12:20 PM

vsmom2two, welcome to MDC.

Another retail veteran here!

It is not true that only one VS employee was immature. This national nurse in happened because of repeated problems in different stores in the USA.

Take the time to heal from your marriage before you move on with someone else. Make a list of all the qualities you would like in a new partner and then work on growing that way yourself. ~mandib50
Old 07-02-2006, 12:28 PM

and some vs employees were immature at the nurse in by spraying the moms with purfume..........so there is still some issues going on that needs to be dealt with with vs employees
Old 07-02-2006, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinky Tuscadero
Deb,
We were there! Lance was sound asleep in the sling so we didn't get to nurse but we walked around and I chatted with one salesgirl about babies. Kind of sad, huh? I'm surprised that no one in our area wanted to participate. I wish we had an advocacy type group, instead of just LLL. It would be great to get together a bunch of moms to actively work at making bf more normal in our area. LLL just doesn't do that kind of thing-it's not their goal.
Oh, I also talked with a mom of a toddler about slings. Maybe slings are easier for people to ask about because they don't involve nudity.

Suzy
I'm sorry I missed you! And that no one else showed up at that location.

You can find me on Facebook. PM for info.
Old 07-02-2006, 01:44 PM

I was the only one here, that I know of. I went into the store and looked and an employee asked if they could help and I said I was in need of a new bra and they asked if I needed to be measured and I told them yes b/c I'm bf and haven't been measured for my new size (said it loud enough others heard me). Then I tried on some bras, right on cue Christine got fussy, so I asked to use a dressing room (again loudly enough others heard me), they were very gracious about it. After they let me in a dressing room, my dh overheard the employee that had let me in tell her co-worker that she guessed the protest wasn't going to happen. They didn't realize I was part of the protest, I guess they expect 50 moms to show up and sit in the middle of the store with signs, singing and no shirts on :P I then looked at sports bras, b/c I actually do need one, and told the lady that I needed one that wouldn't constrict so much that I'd get a plugged duct.

I did end up buying one bra that I absolutely loved and when I checked out I made a point of telling them that it was great that they accomadated me as a nursing mom.

Heather
wife to wonderful dh, SAHM to 3 girls (10, 5, and 3) and one boy (3/12/2008)

User Tag List