Today's nurse-in: How did it go??????? - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-03-2006, 03:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
No that was someone else. My dh talked to one of our group- smaller baby in a maya wrap.

oooo, your husband was yummy... :

Yeah, my nice quiet dh mostly didn't say a word... until someone asked.... then watch out! :

He did also tell her though- "well EVERYONE likes BOOBS!"

-Angela
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2006, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna
oooo, your husband was yummy... :

He did also tell her though- "well EVERYONE likes BOOBS!"

-Angela
Thanks i have to agree with you he still makes me swoon.

Your husband is right who doesn't love boobs?!
Old 07-03-2006, 04:36 PM

We were at The Galleria mall in Houston. It was so great to meet all the other mommies. My girls had an especially good time with Danielle and they asked for their own baby doll slings.

I was really disappointed in the treatment we received from some of the employees. The perfume spraying was awful and gave me such a headache. I did take pictures of a couple of the 'sprayers' and plan to include them in my letter of complaint to VS. I was also very displeased with the mall security asking us to move. When just a few doors down at the M.A.C. store there was a male model wearing a thong, sunglasses and nothing else. Standing in the front window causing a much worse traffic jam than we were. But no one there was asked to move.

My husband took a few pics of us.
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v3...e-in%207-1-06/
Old 07-03-2006, 04:42 PM

I ended up in the Utica area for the weekend so I went to the Sangertown mall. Got there at 1pm and sat on the bench right outside VS. There weren't any other lactivists there. I asked ds (two and a half years old) if he wanted mommy milk and he said no (unusual for him) so we all just sat there for at least half an hour wearing our advocacy shirts (there was at least one shopper who took the time to read one of them), looking around to see if other lactivists would come, and watching the security guards wander past. Then I asked ds again if he wanted mommy milk and he said yes, so I fed him both sides. The bench didn't have arm rests so I had to pile my diaper bag and purse next to me for support. I did my usual overt breastfeeding and got the usual glares. One woman even walked back through and glared at me again after I was done. I just smiled at her as if I didn't notice that she was glaring at me. There was no media. No other lactivists had shown up so we finally got up. DD needed to pee so I took her to the mall's bathroom. And that's when I found out where they *want* people in the mall to breastfeed. In a corner of the *bathroom,* there was a wicker arm chair with a *huge* privacy screen (more like a wall) going *all* the way around it. And then, just in case there was still any doubt about what it was for, there was a sign above it that said "For Moms." :

-Alice, SAHM to dd (2001) and ds (2004) each of whom was a homebirth.jpg, who each self-weaned at 4.5 years bfolderchild.gif, who both fambedsingle2.gif'd, who were bothcd.gif, and both: novaxnocirc.gif.   Also, gd.gif, and goorganic.jpg!

Old 07-03-2006, 04:43 PM

Hi Angela and Veronica (I LOVED your top BTW)-
Danielle had a great time with your girls too!! My 1yo dd and 3 yo ds want doll slings now too- looks like mama better do some shopping!
Ooh, I'm gonna check out the pictures!!!

Nice to meet you mamas!!!

Crunchy, Christ-lovin' mama to dd13, ds8, dd6, dd5, ds3  homeschool.gif intactlact.gif saynovax.gifuc.jpg

Old 07-03-2006, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunalovebunny
I was really disappointed in the treatment we received from some of the employees. The perfume spraying was awful and gave me such a headache. I did take pictures of a couple of the 'sprayers' and plan to include them in my letter of complaint to VS. I was also very displeased with the mall security asking us to move. When just a few doors down at the M.A.C. store there was a male model wearing a thong, sunglasses and nothing else. Standing in the front window causing a much worse traffic jam than we were. But no one there was asked to move.

Great pics! I wish I'd thought to bring a camera. I missed the male model, darn!

The perfume was AWFUL. I had to change clothes and wipe down myself and dd when we got home. It was nasty.

-Angela
Old 07-03-2006, 08:42 PM

So who is who in the Houston pix? So nosy since I wasn't able to be there...

mv
Old 07-03-2006, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Great pics! I wish I'd thought to bring a camera. I missed the male model, darn!

The perfume was AWFUL. I had to change clothes and wipe down myself and dd when we got home. It was nasty.

-Angela
I would have said:

"Ooo, um, actually I on't really like your Angels line very much, could you use Pink on me? "
Old 07-03-2006, 09:35 PM

Quote:

mv
Well you can see the back of me pretty well in one of the pics-
I had a dark green crocheted top on . .dark hair worn up . .

Too bad you couldn't make it!!! It would've been great to meet you!!

Crunchy, Christ-lovin' mama to dd13, ds8, dd6, dd5, ds3  homeschool.gif intactlact.gif saynovax.gifuc.jpg

Old 07-04-2006, 12:47 AM

I just wanted to report in for Albuquerque, NM, in case no one else from our group of mamas who went did. I have been busy with my parents in town, or I would have posted sooner.

We had a group of 8 moms, a dad, and a grandma (my mom, who bf'd me and my sister *way* back in the late 60's, when nursing was almost never done and NIP wasn't even considered!) and our babes, ranging in ages from 8 weeks to 19 months. TThe first moms who showed up were met by the local city cops, who asked that we not nurse in the store, or we could be arrested. Even though we have a law in NM (since 1999) that states that nursing moms can bf their kids wherever a woman is allowed to be in public or in private!!! I guess they (the mall? VS?) were afraid of us dangerous bfing women! Anyways, we pretty much sat on the floor outside the store and bf'd and chatted while the kids played. We got a lot of looks and smiles, no glares that I noticed, and it was pretty uneventful. Some moms went into the store as well, and asked about nursing bras and such. I guess we were all there for about 1 1/2 - 2 hours. No media at all showed up, even though they were contacted. Maybe they thought that bfing was too controversial!

I haven't checked the local media to see if it was on the news anywhere, but I will check that tomorrow. It is good to know that so many people across the country had such positive responses to the nurse-in, and I am glad for the ..er.. "exposure". LOL.

Is there a count at all of all the states and numbers of people who attended yet?

Just a modifiedartist.gif trying to find some peace and regain my balance.
Old 07-04-2006, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaverdi

mv
You can see the back of my head in 2 pics with my baby Marshall asleep with his head poking up. So security did ask us to leave. I didn't notice the guard untill after I got up and was heading out for refreshments. It was getting really hot. I had wondered...Does anyone know exactly what she said?

Thanks for the pics!
Barbara
Old 07-04-2006, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lml41981
Dallas Galleria went alright. There were 6 nursing moms, 1 non-nurser and a few dads (I hope I'm counting right!).
As the 'non-nurser' attendee (with my recently-self-weaned toddler), I was happy to meet all of y'all! It was a very nice way to spend part of our afternoon.

yay!!
Old 07-04-2006, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjbunny
So security did ask us to leave. I didn't notice the guard untill after I got up and was heading out for refreshments. It was getting really hot. I had wondered...Does anyone know exactly what she said?
They didn't ask us to leave, just move. They said they don't usually let people sit on the floor, but it would be okay if we did if we moved to the center instead of where we were. Mind you, this was at 2:30, so we'd been sitting there quite awhile.

-Angela
Old 07-04-2006, 02:24 AM

Quote:
They didn't ask us to leave, just move. They said they don't usually let people sit on the floor, but it would be okay if we did if we moved to the center instead of where we were. Mind you, this was at 2:30, so we'd been sitting there quite awhile.

-Angela
Thanks for the info - I didn't even notice the guard until we were getting ready to leave anyway. I showed my dh the pics and he asked why we were on the floor - I told him because there wasn't anywhere to sit! It just made me think - we don't go to the Galleria that often. If I go to the mall its usually Memorial City which has lots of comfy couches and chairs - I think they have a mothers room too - but I have never been in it.
Old 07-04-2006, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunalovebunny
We were at The Galleria mall in Houston. It was so great to meet all the other mommies. My girls had an especially good time with Danielle and they asked for their own baby doll slings.

Thanks, Veronica for your proactive efforts! I, too, wrote a letter of complaint. That's great that you thought to take pix of the "sprayer chicks." I didn't think to do that!
Old 07-04-2006, 05:08 AM

Oh, I am the one with short, red hair w/a barrette in it holding the baby in pink with lots of dark hair. MV, you in Houston?
Old 07-04-2006, 06:28 AM

I went to Oakridge Mall in San Jose, and was the only breastfeeder there. My sister was in town visiting so she came along. She actually wanted to shop there so we walked around the store for awhile with me nursing my daughter. Then we ran into a friend of my sister's who actually worked there! So we spent the rest of the time talking to her. I asked her if she had been told about the nurse-in and she had no idea- was totally confused when I asked. She was very nice and kept saying how cute my daughter(who was nursing the whole time) was. It was disappointing to be the only one there, but a fun experience(my first nurse-in!).

I'm loving seeing the video/pictures of all you beautiful moms and babies! Here's one of me: http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...davegan/vs.jpg

Way to go everyone, including my fellow lone nursers!
Old 07-04-2006, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaverdi

mv
I am the one in the closeup in the tan top. My little guy is wearing a light green onesie.
Old 07-05-2006, 12:29 PM

Any updates to the numbers? Articles?

If someone has already started collecting, listing these-- feel free to pm or link it- that's be great! I'm going to be away from my nice high speed internet soon.

I'd just love to have it all summarized in one place (wouldn't we all) so I can send out some followups.

I was bummed that the Herald article only mentioned the nurse-in at Faneul Hall and didn't mention the fact that it was nationwide.

Most of the press had been great!

Jessica

Jessica..lady.gifintactlact.gif Falling in love all over again..... 
Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura
Old 07-05-2006, 12:37 PM

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=476171

That's a thread with a collection of the coverage. I still didn't do a tally, but I believe someone in this thread did and at that point she had counted 369. It's gone up since that count though.

Mama to : '05, '08, '10 and expecting our 3rd homebirth.jpgJanuary '13

User Tag List