Today's nurse-in: How did it go??????? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 200 Old 07-01-2006, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter
EVC

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So how did it go in your area? Were there a lot of people? No trouble? Media present? Any pictures to share?

I can't wait to hear updates!

PhDin' mama to dd (Oct. 2005)
#2 of 200 Old 07-01-2006, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVC
I can't wait to hear updates!
Me too. Too complicated for me to go with feeding my son and pumping myself. I'm sitting here pumping at 1 though!
#3 of 200 Old 07-01-2006, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter
EVC

It's only 10:30 here in CA, but it must be taking place already on the East Coast!!!!! Sending good lactation vibes

Please post when you get back!

#4 of 200 Old 07-01-2006, 02:46 PM

I just got back! Sadly, I was the only mama there...that was a huge disappointment. Then, my digital camera battery was dead! But I sat in VS's display window (not near the displays or messing anything up, but in a spot very visible within the store and from outside the store), in the front of the store, and nursed ds. It was great. We (we being dh, ds, and I) noticed that there were about three sales associates walking around. They greeted other customers coming in, walked up to customers asking if they needed assistance, but said not a word to us the whole time we were there. Two sales associates went up to a woman browsing about five feet away from us asking if they wanted help, looked at us, and walked away. I don't know if they knew people planned on having a nurse-in and intentionally ignored us, or if it was just coincidence.

stillheart.gif = Pariah, Super Mom + The Amazing Wiggy (1/06)superhero.gifangel.gif  (6/08)  52 Projects: 0/52  Decluttering Challenge: 37/2013

#5 of 200 Old 07-01-2006, 03:06 PM

i am hoping there was a nice turn-out ov eron hilton head- the closest vs to us.

l, <>< wife to my sweetie, proud mama to 3 cubs, 2 who clw & 1 that i i ep for . baby was evicted early by induction due to severe pre-e/hellp syndrome
#6 of 200 Old 07-01-2006, 03:09 PM

Kudos to you for going - I'm sorry you were the only nursing mama there, but every mama who NIP, whether at a nurse-in or just on an average day, helps make BREASTfeeding become breastFEEDING (hope that makes sense!)

- Kira
#7 of 200 Old 07-01-2006, 03:12 PM

Just got back from Kingston, MA nurse-in. I wore a shirt that says "Boobies are for Babies". A sales associate noticed the shirt and said how cute it is. She asked what inspired it, and I said "this store, actually". I explained to her what we were doing and what it was all about. She said "That's funny, just today we were talking about a sign we have in the back that talks about how we treat breastfeeding moms, we should make them as comfortable as possible, etc. It came last month." We thought that was great, but come to find out "last month" actually meant last WEEK (technically true, since it is now July). Guaranteed that was prompted by what's been happening. There were three of us there, two with toddlers who weren't interested in nursing as much as they were with running around. But one mommy (grumpyshoegirl) nursed her daughter. No one other than that sales associate said anything to us, just watched us walking around.

Mom to DD#1 8/04, nursed 43 months, DD#2 8/06, nursed 21 months and DD#3 9/08, still nursing strong
#8 of 200 Old 07-01-2006, 03:13 PM

Also, what made me sad was that the sales associate was talking about back when her kids were babies, and how she would go into bathrooms or dressing rooms "because where else was I gonna feed my baby? I had to". I told her that's why we were there, to promote the normalcy of NIP.

Mom to DD#1 8/04, nursed 43 months, DD#2 8/06, nursed 21 months and DD#3 9/08, still nursing strong
#9 of 200 Old 07-01-2006, 04:12 PM

Good for you ladies for turning out!!! I would have turned out, but we don't have VS's in my area.
#10 of 200 Old 07-01-2006, 04:14 PM
Banned

I was the only one at Derby Street in Hingham Ma. I did get there a little late, 1:15. I waited outside with my 5 year old and then went into the store. It was really dead with just one customer. I asked about nursing bras and was told they don't carry them. No rudeness or anything, more just disinterest. She did suggest I go to Kohls. We no longer nurse so I couldn't do that and felt weird about asking their policy...

Boobyfeeder- was going to try to get to Kingston but then I would been really late. Hard to get a 5 year old out of the pool on a hot summer day!!
#11 of 200 Old 07-01-2006, 04:24 PM

Just back from the Cedar Rapids, Iowa VS. I am really disappointed...our area has a huge breastfeeding support group, and two of us...probably THE LEAST activist types out of the whole group...showed up. My DS wouldn't nurse (I tried once), and her DS nursed twice for probably about 2 minutes each time. We just sat on a bench outside the store, and noone looked at us twice...ugh! There were TONS of mommies pushing babes in strollers around the mall, but we noticed they all had a bottle beside them or in the cup holder of the stroller, etc. So...we sat and talked more than anything, so I'm sure noone could tell we were there to advocate anything. We left after about 40 minutes cuz we were feeling a bit foolish!
#12 of 200 Old 07-01-2006, 04:26 PM

DH, 2 kids and I had lunch in front of our VS today. We sat on a bench right in front of the store, ate takeout sandwiches and nursed DD2 off and on for about 1/2 hour. No one else was there, but I was glad to get out in public and be visible. It was wonderful of DH to come along, too. We just looked like a normal family having lunch together. Hope some other mamas got more "press", but I'm proud to have been a part of it all!

(ETA: We were at the So Park Mall in Youngstown, Ohio.)
#13 of 200 Old 07-01-2006, 04:37 PM

There were 6 moms (and a dad!) at VS E Towne in Madison, WI. We sat outside the store along the window. People passing looked at us, and one woman kept walking by as if she were curious but never asked. One couple stopped and said something along the lines of "What you guys are doing is GREAT!" and "We applaud you" and clapped. So obviously some people knew about this, even if the media did not cover it. If it's on the national news, people who saw us at the mall will remember. DS wouldn't nurse very much and when he did he bit me (I think out of playfulness) but there were 4 other nursing moms there (and one former nursing mom there for support! ) that did nurse here and there, but it was impossible to all be nursing at the same time.

I did speak to the manager and asst manager of the store and let them know I'd heard good things about their store's treatment of nursing mothers. They were grateful for that feedback, so I encourage other moms who haven't yet participated (west coast maybe?) to let those VS that are accomodating know they are doing a good job and that it's apprieciated.

I am so proud of those moms who were the only ones. It takes alot of guts to do that! And it's not just the huge groups of people that matter. It's the individual effort, too.
#14 of 200 Old 07-01-2006, 04:39 PM

Well, mine was a bit disappointing. Only 2 of us showed up, and my DS wasn't even interested in nursing. A reporter and photographer were there from the local paper... so hopefully that'll bring attention to the issue. But it didn't look like any sort of nurse-in.
#15 of 200 Old 07-01-2006, 04:42 PM

It was me and two other mamas at one of our local VSs today. My DS didn't want to nurse but the other two nursed their babies. They got a dirty look from a sales associate but that was about it. I was hoping there would be a bigger turnout but oh well.

Betty *(.)(.)* mama to: DS1 (12) DS2 (11) DS3 (8)
(12/26/06) (5/11/09) (10/7/09)x2

#16 of 200 Old 07-01-2006, 04:42 PM
DBZ

Well I went and nursed at the VS in Nashua NH. There were 2 other moms with infants there. I got all excited till I saw the bottles on the back of their carriages. I didn't have the guts to nurse in the display window even though doing so would have been veryeasy. They had so many people working! I did nurse as in front of the store as possible. The bench was pretty much in front of the neighboring store. It wasn't what I expected but considering how busy the mall was it was great lactivism!

Kara

Kara, single mom of 4 girls (5, 8, 16 and 19) crochetsmilie.gif
Kids have strokes too! superhero.gif 

#17 of 200 Old 07-01-2006, 04:44 PM

We had six ladies here in Tulsa. It went pretty uneventful for us. We just lined up outside and sat down to nurse. A lot of people stared but that's about it.
#18 of 200 Old 07-01-2006, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter
EVC

Quote:
I am so proud of those moms who were the only ones. It takes alot of guts to do that! And it's not just the huge groups of people that matter. It's the individual effort, too.

#19 of 200 Old 07-01-2006, 04:55 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Kira~
every mama who NIP, whether at a nurse-in or just on an average day, helps make BREASTfeeding become breastFEEDING (hope that makes sense!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shell_Ell

I just posted a 'How Did It Go' thread in the FL, GA, AL portion of Finding Your Tribe. I'm pretty bummed about not being able to go but so very interested in how others experiences were.

"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing." ~ Emo Philips tea6.gif

Me, DH, DS1, DS2, November 2012 brokenheart.gif, July 2013 brokenheart.gif, March 2014 brokenheart.gif

candle.gif Waiting on my SunshineBaby om.gif

#20 of 200 Old 07-01-2006, 04:57 PM

I was the only one at my VS here in Oklahoma City, but I sat right outside and nursed Trixie while I was knitting. In truth the knitting probably got more stares!

Heather we really need to get together. Tulsa seems so much more crunchy than OKC. Argh.
#21 of 200 Old 07-01-2006, 05:10 PM

Here in Toledo Ohio we had 3 momma's with nurslings and my 3 year old nursing her "baby" We were hoping for more mommies to join us. We walked through the store browsing and nursing, all wearing our babies in various slings/wraps. One local newsstation sent the cameraman but his camera ghot the boot from mall security. He put his camera away and came back and browsed the store with us. They were friendly, commenting on the babies. We asked if they carried nursing bras and were told NO, I commented on the untapped market that they were missing. One girl asked if she could use the dressing room to nurse and the new sales girl wasn't sure but went to ask and was told yes. I was nursing Sage while waiting in line (yes, I did buy a bra) there was a couple in front of us with an infant and young toddler. The toddler was reaching for the baby's bottle and the dad kept telling her it wasn't hers, then he reaches in the diaper bag and pulls out something I had never seen before. It was a baby bottle shaped like a old fashioned glass coca-cola bottle, even said coca-cola on it and it was filled with cola!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He hands it to her and then says to his wife loudly "I can't believe she's (gesturing to me) doing THAT right here in line!" I so badly wanted to say to Lesha (one of the other moms) "I can't believe he's feeding his daughter cola in a bottle" Said with the same disdain he had used for me!

After we finished walking through VS we went with the reporter to a gas station near the mall (so he could get the mall in the background) He interviewed Lesha and Betsy. I was really upset, I had given him alot of info at the mall, but then my husband asked that I not speak on camera. He is a public school principal in the area and did not want me making an on camera statement that could put him in an uncomfortable situation with his job. I thought the exact opposite, but compromised with him by being on camera but not speaking. He also took some footage of us wearing our babies and Maia wearing her baby doll while talking to each other. I assume this will be used as background footage for the story the anchor will be doing. He said they had a lot of info already. Ohio passed a NIP law last year. I believe they are goign to use this as an oportunity to educate people about the NIP law so hopefully that will be good.

Sadly, right before we started I took my daughter to the bathroom, there was a young mom nursing onthe bench int he bathroom totally covered up with a blanket! I was so glad she was nursing but sad to see her in a bathroom adn covered. he mother was with her also and about swallowed her teeth when I asked the girl to join us at Victoria's Secret. I was sure to tell her how lucky we are in oHio to have the NIP law, so maybe she will be more comfotable about NIP next time her baby is hungry.

I'll post a link if they put the story on their website
#22 of 200 Old 07-01-2006, 05:17 PM

Hey everyone!
We just got back from the fanueil Hall Nurse-in, I'd say total there were about 15 moms. The Boston Herald came and interviewed several as well as took pictures. FOX 25 also came and I think I probably sounded like a bumbling idiot because I was so nervous! We'll see how it goes. I'll post the small video we took later on. Right now I'm STARVING!

Mama to : '05, '08, '10 and expecting our 3rd homebirth.jpgJanuary '13

#23 of 200 Old 07-01-2006, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter
EVC

Quote:
It was a baby bottle shaped like a old fashioned glass coca-cola bottle, even said coca-cola on it and it was filled with cola!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He hands it to her and then says to his wife loudly "I can't believe she's (gesturing to me) doing THAT right here in line!"
: : : Yeah, bf'ing is much more shocking than giving a baby a bottle of cola : : :

#24 of 200 Old 07-01-2006, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter
EVC

Quote:
The Boston Herald came and interviewed several as well as took pictures.
Links to stories when you get them, please

#25 of 200 Old 07-01-2006, 05:26 PM

Hi,
We had 6 of us and 2 dads were there also. We were mostly on the bench outside of the store mostly. No press showed up.
I decided to go ask the VS emplyees if they knew about us coming there and the asst manager said "oh the nursing babies. we had a meeting on that this morning. We were told to welcome you and to let everyone know that it is our policy that we are breastfeeding friendly and if you ned a dressing room, you are wlcome to use ours, of course if there is a line you will need to wait. You can ask any of the girls who work here nad they will tell you the same thing. I nursed all 3 of my children"

I felt some satisfaction in that since we wanted to bring awareness to VS emplyees. It seem that is what happened.

I think we need to stay on top of them and make sure we get them to post signs that state their policy in plain view for all cutomers and emplyees to see. I would like to see something on their website as well.

Medium Sessions, Psychic Readings, Astrology Consultations and Mother Blessings www.magicalmoongarden.com
#26 of 200 Old 07-01-2006, 05:27 PM

to all of you mamas!
#27 of 200 Old 07-01-2006, 05:35 PM

You mamas are awesome!

Keep the stories coming!

Mama to A 8/05 and S 11/06
#28 of 200 Old 07-01-2006, 05:47 PM

Oh oh...we also had a dad!!

Quote:
Heather we really need to get together. Tulsa seems so much more crunchy than OKC. Argh.
I would love to meet you sometime!!!! I get all the emails of your fun OKC HS'ing get togethers and wish I could join you all. If only gas wasn't so stinking expensive!!
#29 of 200 Old 07-01-2006, 05:57 PM

We had 5 nursing moms, 2 dads, and 3 non-nursing moms for support!!!

We just all stood outside the enterance of the store talking and nursing. It was great. Mall Security and management were eyeing us but nobody said anything. We left after about 30 minutes. I did notify the local media but none of them came. Oh well, we definiately made an impact, and we had fun!!!

ETA- We were at Park Meadows Mall, and I know there was a group at Cherry Creek also. How did that one go??
#30 of 200 Old 07-01-2006, 05:59 PM

Well, it was just me. A friend came about ten after 1 for moral support, dd nursed for a few minutes and then popped off and said "I don't want any more nilkies, Mommy!" like I was forcing her! Stayed for about 25-30 minutes and then left. They did have A TON of employees in the store, I went in and asked about nursing bras, was told they didn't ahve any and that was it. All in all....not very empowering at all. Kind of felt like a fool and was really glad the media didn't show up.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page