NIP---article ARGHHHH - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 71 Old 07-11-2006, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Did anyone email the EDITORS? GO to this link and you can do so at the bottom of the page...in fact you can be published on the letters to the editor
if you choose....
#62 of 71 Old 07-11-2006, 12:50 PM

Oh :Puke. I am getting so very tired & angry of all this nonsense.

On a related note, being a resident of Tennessee, when the baby (almost 4) was feeling kind of crummy at the zoo yesterday, he actually asked to nurse, and because of the stupid new law (which incidentally, my %$#@ing rep has not acknowledged recieving my email about) I hesitated (and my 5 yr old actually said, "No, you can't, too many people will see." Where did that come from? I've never said anything but a murmered 'in a little bit' after he was 3 or so. He extrapolated *that* from that?). I feel awful.

Thanks, society. Thank you, woman with highly stupid & destructive opinions who made fire come out of my ears. :.
#63 of 71 Old 07-11-2006, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacelovingmama
I fired off one more because I forgot to mention that isolating mothers at home (because God forbid someone see them feed their hungry child while they are out and about) increases feelings of depression. SHAME on this ignorant woman!

Timmi,

Because of the drivel you published, some women somewhere will choose to formula feed, putting her infant at increased risk of numerous diseases. And because of ignorance like yours, some women will stay home to feed on demand (which is recommended ). Since infants can eat as often as every 45 minutes to an hour, these women will be increasingly isolated and at risk for postpartum depression. Shame on you for spreading this oppressive nonsense.
A Very Concerned Mother

Come on everyone, let's keep these letters coming and hope this woman at least considers how ridiculous she is being! (is she really a woman, or maybe a man with a pen-name?)
Oh, I like the gravitas of that one. Sweet.
#64 of 71 Old 07-11-2006, 02:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firemom
She thinks her opinion is right and every other nursing mother is wrong. Why do I suspect this woman has never breastfed?

She has to much of a hangup about her body and breastfeeding in general to have nursed 2 children.

I think she is a lier and knows nothing about breastfeeding
Remember how much she was talking about making nursing a quiet, special thing? Remember how wonderful and beautiful nursing is for the first few weeks? And then you get used to it and it's still wonderful and beautiful, but not such an unusual thing that you have to stop and stare rapturously at your child nursing.

See, she never made it to that point. She stopped during the "Oh, isn't this special and private!" stage.

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
#65 of 71 Old 07-11-2006, 04:19 PM

Quote:
See, she never made it to that point. She stopped during the "Oh, isn't this special and private!" stage.

That is probably true! I always say nursing is just another everyday parenting task that sometimes gives you warm fuzzies. That is not a logical justification for ostracizing it.

I have even seen people who never breastfed use the same argument, so to me it's just another flawed argument against NIP by people who have a culturally determined view of breasts as primarily sexual. They dodge the obvious irony of "breasts are too sexy to be shown" by framing bf as too special to be done in public. It's just a poorly disguised version of the same old "too sexy" line.

And, it's a favorite of the formula companies who love to portray bf as something those mythical "perfect" mothers do, in their pastel nighties, rocking their perfect babies in a pool of perfect moonbeams - obviously not something an average woman can achieve. That's why I say "BS" to the argument. Eating isn't private and special and romantic, it's a biological necessity. Period. The fact that it is sweet and nice sometimes doesn't make it taboo.
#66 of 71 Old 07-12-2006, 11:54 AM

Has anyone heard back from the illustrious author? I have not. I suspect her inbox is filled to the brim. Good.
#67 of 71 Old 07-12-2006, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikki Jean
This mother obviously nursed her kids on a schedule too, not on demand. I'm assuming most of us here nurse on demand, and we all know that it's next to impossible to plan a schedule around a baby who is nursed on demand.
I just wrote a letter to the editor where I made that point.

One quote that I'm often reminded of when this whole topic comes up is from The Handmaid's Tale, a dystopic story about what would happen if deranged reactionaries took over the country. One of the "Aunts," women who enforce the new regime on other women, tells a group of her charges,

"There are two kinds of freedom: freedom from and freedom to. In the old days of anarchy, there was freedom to. Now you have freedom from. Don't underestimate it."

It's my opinion that a lot of these anti-NIPers would like to live in a society where "freedom from" is the rule-- you know, except when it applies to something THEY want to do.
#68 of 71 Old 07-14-2006, 12:44 PM

She wrote a response to our letters in her blog:

http://ttoler.enctoday.com/

Lisa   L&D RN mama to DS#1 (4-01) DS#2 (9-03) DD (10-05) vbac.gifX2,  ribbonpb.gif 10-2011

#69 of 71 Old 07-14-2006, 12:59 PM

Quote:
I don't even think men would get too turned on at seeing an exposed breast in public for the purpose of getting attention by that woman breast feeding. If she wants that attention, then let her go be a stripper.
did you see this comment to her blog???

i sent that woman an email as well.

~jen~ )O( mama to k 07/05 o 5/08 and c 12/09
#70 of 71 Old 07-14-2006, 12:59 PM

Well her response at least explains why her article was so lacking in logic. She admits that she could not understand most of the letters. How then did she ever get hired by a newspaper????
#71 of 71 Old 07-14-2006, 01:11 PM

She makes herself sound like some kind of free speech crusader in that blog entry. We should e-mail her the link to that nice man's Cleveland Plain-Dealer column. They should also point out that he works for a real newspaper. heh heh heh.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page