Changing the WIC program to increase BF rates - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 34 Old 07-14-2006, 07:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
So why not make a contract with Dole for canned fruits, or with Birdseye for frozen vegetables? They're still premeasured (something that WIC really likes) and national companies so they could easily get rebate contracts for those items. Plus it would make the BF diet more attractive and easier for elimination dieters to afford groceries.
I think this is a brilliant idea. When a friend of mine was on WIC she was at a loss as to what to do with all that peanut butter, and yet no fruit and veg!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 34 Old 07-14-2006, 09:51 PM

I am a WIC breastfeeding counselor and WIC participant, or at least my 4 year old daughter is for a little while longer. Please do write in about the new food package proposals, they look excellent!
#33 of 34 Old 07-14-2006, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaFranklin

I get the 10 gallons a month and use all of it. I get creative. I use a lot in recipies.
We do to... we make our own yogurt, ice cream, and cheese, as well as do a bunch of baking. We also freeze a lot of the cheese. And in a pinch, we give it away to friends who will drink the stuff.

Just a modifiedartist.gif trying to find some peace and regain my balance.
#34 of 34 Old 07-14-2006, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerTail
That's because you are under the misconception that the program is 'about' helping mothers & children, when the USDA has one big goal & that is PUSH MILK
Actually, I have no misconceptions about the USDA at all... I am just saddened by it all. Programs like these could do a lot of good, but they are often hampered by bureauocrats who don't care, and people out to make more money. I am actually fairly skeptical about any positive changes being made in WIC anytime soon, but I can always hope and throw my two cents in to the people who DO make those policies in the hopes for change.

Just a modifiedartist.gif trying to find some peace and regain my balance.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page