What do you think of this trend? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 281 Old 08-07-2006, 01:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, I'm obviously on MDC after reading all of these posts. Two things:

1) The product is sold under two names: "Hooter Hiders" and "Bebe au Lait." People who are offended by the "Hooter Hider" name can buy the same cover with the other name. The company wanted to change all of them to the new name, but some mommas still love calling them "Hooter Hiders," so they kept some under the old name too.

2) I have one. :

First, I think it's a great thing for new moms to help them get confident nursing their babe when they first start getting out into public. I think most of them eventually ditch the cover when the get more comfortable. Anything that gets her to keep BFing through those first 6 weeks is great, IMO.

Anyway, I bought mine for two reasons:
First, I wanted something to keep the sun off my baby's face when nursing him outdoors. I used a blanket a few times and found it was just too hot. We have a lake property, and so I was nursing my babe on the dock or on the boat where there was little shade available, and this was a great way to keep him from getting too much sun while nursing.
And second, I wanted something to cover myself with while pumping, in the event I had to pump somewhere exposed, like in the car or in a room with my young cousins.

I've only seen one being used as a nursing cover by another mom once, and it was at a rally promoting BFing in public. There were moms exposing their entire breast to nurse, moms nursing discreetly without a cover, and this mom using a cover. It was all beautiful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 281 Old 08-07-2006, 01:46 AM

It was mentioned that: "I think the mom who deliberately uncovers more than would incidentally be revealed by her normal method of nursing, just to attract attention, is pretty much a myth." -by Velcromom

But if you are ever in Ventura or Arcata California... women will pull out a breast in a public park to feed children as old as 5 and leave it out until the kids are done... In Arcata... they also live in the park and smoke MJ in the square (Completely legal there BTW)

I DON"T MIND personally... but I know it creeps my grandma out!

Jenn mama to M(11), A(8), A (5), J (4), K(4mo)

#63 of 281 Old 08-07-2006, 01:54 AM

Quote:
But if you are ever in Ventura or Arcata California... women will pull out a breast in a public park to feed children as old as 5 and leave it out until the kids are done...
does this mean your agasint bf a child if they are 5? or just feeding them in public?
#64 of 281 Old 08-07-2006, 02:16 AM

but see thats their normal method of nursing
#65 of 281 Old 08-07-2006, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan
I think it's about d*mned time that people treat babies like people including accepting how they need to eat.
WORD. Freakin' WORD!!!!

My thoughts on "hooter hiders":

1. Whoever came up with that brand name needs to be physically reprimanded. Yuck.

2. I'm sure it's a godsend for someone, but...

3. It had damn well never be expected as the default!

4. It looks really uncomfortable.

5. My daughter would scream in anger if I put one of those things over her, and sweat profusely. She runs warm and even a thin receiving blanket is too much over her head on a hot day sometimes.

And whenever someone tsk tsks at me about "flashing skin" I have an impulse to shoot milk in their eyes. Better watch out, I squirted the dog from across the room and now she knows to run whenever she sees me topless!
#66 of 281 Old 08-07-2006, 08:06 AM

I hate nursing coverups in general because I don't want women feeling compelled to use them.

BUT I want to tell you about the worst one I have seen lately. I'm in Hawaii and there is always a lot of aloha-print stuff to be found. We have an aloha-print seat cover for Linda's car seat, in fact, that we got at the thrift store, and we're always on the lookout for more stuff.

So the last time we were at the NEX, I was browsing their aloha-print baby stuff, and came across a nursing cover-up that had pictures of cows and the word MOO printed all over it! I wish I'd had the money to buy every damned one of them, just so I could have the satisfaction of burning the blasted things!

Sabra: Mama to Bobbie (3/02), Linda (1/04), Esther (10/05), Marie (11/10), & Douglas (11/12)

#67 of 281 Old 08-07-2006, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenie
I have the issues with seeing women NIP, but it's just women who don't give a damn.. Like, shirt pulled up, 3/4 of their breast exposed, looking about,

Whoa, excuse me???!!!

"LOOKING ABOUT"????

I guess we should all keep our eyes cast down in pious womanly shame while we BF? Maybe we should all get burqas, with the little crochet mesh panel for our eyes, so we can at least see enough not to bump into things when we walk, while still sparing the good menfolk the temptation of our provocative, defiant gaze.
#68 of 281 Old 08-07-2006, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookerenee
I think her boldness wards off any naysayers.
Hmmm....maybe this is why I've never, ever had anyone say a word to me about NIP.
#69 of 281 Old 08-07-2006, 09:57 AM

I wish I'd had the money to buy every damned one of them, just so I could have the satisfaction of burning the blasted things![/QUOTE]
No, that would just encourage them to make more of them.
#70 of 281 Old 08-07-2006, 09:59 AM

I have a friend who generally covers up with a blanket or her sling, that's what makes her more comfortable, so great! She nursed her first two to 2 years old, give or take, and if using a coverup helps achieve that, so be it!

I'm modest in some ways... but I absolutely cannot use a blanket (more likely to flash) and I don't like the attention because it feels like a neon sign proclaiming "I'm nursing and hiding under a blanket". That's just me. I think I mostly feel so modest about it these days because I'm heavier than I've ever been and my tummy/back is hanging out. I prefer to not leave my boob hanging out but I'm not ashamed to NIP. I dunno if that makes sense... time to get another belly hugger methinks!
#71 of 281 Old 08-07-2006, 10:24 AM

I think that thing looks RIDICULOUS and screams "HEY EVERYONE IM NURSING A BABY". People are more likely to approach you and say what is that or whats under there. Boobs are for feeding babies, Get used to it.
#72 of 281 Old 08-07-2006, 10:34 AM

first of all $38.00!?!?!?!
get a yard of fabric and hem it, make a strap for about 2-3$ make your own! What a markup!!!! (I am now going to start my own home business....)
and 2nd
I would use it for a few reasons- 1~ dc thinks everything is eye candy and sometimes I have to cover her eyes from all the distractions.
2~I find breasts a beautiful part of my body that I just don't want to share with the world. They are here for my baby, that's it.
now if we can install an air conditioner underneath the cloth...then we're in business!

Mama to 5 babies. UCer, too!
#73 of 281 Old 08-07-2006, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagesgirl

BUT I want to tell you about the worst one I have seen lately. ..............................a nursing cover-up that had pictures of cows and the word MOO printed all over it! I wish I'd had the money to buy every damned one of them, just so I could have the satisfaction of burning the blasted things!
OMG! I would at least write a letter to complain to the management. Not that they'll necessarily listen and pull them off the shelf, but maybe they'll think twice about future product orders??? I'm sure someone thinks that's funny, but ICK, I agree with you.
#74 of 281 Old 08-07-2006, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaFranklin
But if you are ever in Ventura or Arcata California... women will pull out a breast in a public park to feed children as old as 5 and leave it out until the kids are done... In Arcata... they also live in the park and smoke MJ in the square (Completely legal there BTW)
My kids would LOVE that.
#75 of 281 Old 08-07-2006, 10:50 AM

My first reaction is that I hate the name. I think "hooter" makes the breasts seem sexualized, when in reality we are fighting for people to realize breastfeeding is as far from sexual as possible.

Second of all, doesn't it draw more attention to the action than just simply being discreet? When dd was an infant, I would just drape a thin receiving blanket over me, mainly because I was still learning what I was doing. So for those who want to "hide" (and I use this term loosely) what they are doing, just use a blanket. It is cheaper and more convenient.
#76 of 281 Old 08-07-2006, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberryFields
I'm going to be the lone voice of dissent--I like Hooter Hiders and if I had the extra $$ I'd consider shelling it out for one! I NIP all the time, sometimes with a blanket, sometimes without. I don't have a problem with it either way. Heck, I nursed ds all day today while walking around the art museum.

I use a light blanket if ds is getting distracted, if I'm nursing him down for a nap, or if I am in close proximity to someone who is totally supportive of my breastfeeding but maybe a little anxious about me being exposed. These are people like dh's bachelor friends, my younger brother, maybe some older male relatives. The kind of people who would never say anything negative to me or about me, but start to get shifty and nervous and feel like they are invading my privacy. Ds has no problem being covered so I don't mind using a blanket and putting the poor guys at ease.

Anyway, I like the Hooter Hiders because I love the prints and they are so much more fun than a receiving blanket with bunnies or pastel stripes! I also think they would be encouraging for people like my SIL who is too nervous to NIP. I understand that ideally we would not use covers and that people would become accustomed to seeing women NIP and eventually it would be a non-issue. BUT I'm torn because at the same time a Hooter Hider might help women who currently only nurse at home, in the car, or in the bathroom out in public with the rest of us, which would also make breastfeeding more visible.

Sooo in short I think Hooter Hiders are cute and I want one for me and I also kinda like the name :
You said it so well!!!
#77 of 281 Old 08-07-2006, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quaz
Hooter Hiders™ help baby to relax and concentrate on nursing by blocking out busy surroundings.
On one hand, this could be very useful with my very distractable 9 month old. I can't do ANYTHING (not watch TV, not read a magazine, not even have a conversation with someone else) while he is nursing, because he constantly pops off to check it out - unless he is exhausted or starving. Quiet dark room for us, unfortunately, and then I fall asleep too. Oh well.

But this sort of cover up will also distract him - perhaps if we'd used it from birth, he'd be used to it.

My mom's motto for life was "you do what you gotta do to get you through the day." So if NIP makes your life easier (it sure makes mine easier) AND the HH makes it possible/acceptable/easier, then I say "go for it!".

Siobhan

You know the attributes for a great adult? Initiative, creativity, intellectual curiosity? They make for a helluva kid...
#78 of 281 Old 08-07-2006, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalateaDunkel

Whoa, excuse me???!!!

"LOOKING ABOUT"????

I guess we should all keep our eyes cast down in pious womanly shame while we BF? Maybe we should all get burqas, with the little crochet mesh panel for our eyes, so we can at least see enough not to bump into things when we walk, while still sparing the good menfolk the temptation of our provocative, defiant gaze.
You cut off my sentance! I'm not talking about that. I'm obviously an awful person for feeling like nursing shouldn't be an act of defiance. Nurse your baby! I do all the time. But, don't look around at people passing by like you *want* them to say something!

All I'm saying is that this attitude gives BFing a bad name. At this point, I just want people to leave me alone when I'm feeding my child. I don't want anyone staring me down or saying nasty things to me, and I think that giving people the stare down isn't going to speak good things of Lactivists and nursing moms in general.
#79 of 281 Old 08-07-2006, 12:03 PM

Quote:
All I'm saying is that this attitude gives BFing a bad name. At this point, I just want people to leave me alone when I'm feeding my child. I don't want anyone staring me down or saying nasty things to me, and I think that giving people the stare down isn't going to speak good things of Lactivists and nursing moms in general.
WHY on earth would it give breastfeeding a bad name for me to hold my head high while I nurse my child? I honestly do not understand. Maybe that's a nervous mom and that's how she feels confidant. Maybe the baby is like my dd and if you look at her she won't go to sleep- I have to pretend she's not there if I want her to go to sleep nursing.

Shame on me. I nurse my child however and whenever and wherever she needs to. And what's more, I LOOK AROUND.

Good god people. This is part of the problem.

But ya know what? No one has EVER said anything negative to me about nursing my child. Not once. I don't care if they don't notice or are too intimidated by my demeanor. I give off the feeling of no one can mess with me and no one does.

-Angela
#80 of 281 Old 08-07-2006, 12:10 PM

absolutely. horrible. name.

Are they being marketed by the restaurant chain?

I wouldn't use one because DD would hate it(I can't use a blanket because she doesn't like it, and it's to dang hot here!) and I don't like the idea of hiding what I'm doing... as if I should be ahamed of using them for their intended purpose.

that said, it it helps a nervous mom BF and NIP longer, I'm for that....but It should be the exception, not the norm.

not to mention that it is amazingly expensive for what it is.
#81 of 281 Old 08-07-2006, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I have only one positive thing to say about the name "hooter hiders" it's easy to remember!

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#82 of 281 Old 08-07-2006, 12:15 PM

Quote:
You cut off my sentance! I'm not talking about that. I'm obviously an awful person for feeling like nursing shouldn't be an act of defiance. Nurse your baby! I do all the time. But, don't look around at people passing by like you *want* them to say something!

I know I cut off your sentence. Because it doesn't matter how you qualify "looking around" - if you are to the point of wanting to critique and shame nursing women for the expression on their face and the direction their eyes are pointing, you have gone all the way past reactionary to full-blown paranoia. Your interpretation (projection) of why the woman may be "looking about" is your problem. Women are free to participate in society without having to strike some special demure/compliant pose in order not to be harassed. That's even if what you are postulating actually happens, which we all know it doesn't. The real problem is hostile strangers staring down nursing mothers, not vice versa.
#83 of 281 Old 08-07-2006, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna
WHY on earth would it give breastfeeding a bad name for me to hold my head high while I nurse my child? I honestly do not understand. Maybe that's a nervous mom and that's how she feels confidant. Maybe the baby is like my dd and if you look at her she won't go to sleep- I have to pretend she's not there if I want her to go to sleep nursing.

Shame on me. I nurse my child however and whenever and wherever she needs to. And what's more, I LOOK AROUND.

Good god people. This is part of the problem.

But ya know what? No one has EVER said anything negative to me about nursing my child. Not once. I don't care if they don't notice or are too intimidated by my demeanor. I give off the feeling of no one can mess with me and no one does.

-Angela
Look. You are completely misunderstanding me. I never said put on a burqa. I never said hide your head in shame. I never said that anyone HAS to wear a cover, and I never said that everyone should hide out in the bathroom. NEVER SAID ANY OF THAT!

I am simply sudjesting the idea that you nurse discreetly. Offending people isn't a good way to help society to be more BF friendly.. I don't think that you should comprimise your child's comfort to do so, either.

All I'm saying is that in public, a person should show consideration for those around them. Just don't pull up your shirt for all the world to see. I'm not taling about a quick lift-n-lach, I'm talking about a Mom with a ZZ cup letting it all hang out. If you want to do that, it's totally your right. Of course it is, I mean, why wouldn't you want to show the world that you are making the best decision for your baby? I just don't think that it's totally appropriate to bust it out and have no respect for those around you.

I mean, the huge hairy man on the beach doesn't have to cover up. He can wear a latex speedo if he really wants.. And hey, the naked body is beautiful right? Why doesn't he have the right to bare it all? If he's comfortable with it, and his hairy plumber's crack is comfortable with it, and he's proud of all 350 of his pounds, than why should he take consideration for anyone else?

Maybe you don't like my analogy, but you know what? That's your right.
#84 of 281 Old 08-07-2006, 12:33 PM

I don't use nursing covers myself. I don't feel comfortable in them - they are just extra crap on me when I'm already super hot with a sweaty babe on my tit.

BUT - THAT'S ME!! OTHER MOMS MAY FEEL DIFFERENT, AND THAT IS THIER RIGHT!!

Noone on this planet is the same - we all have different comfort levels.
If there is a mom who prefersnursing covers FINE! Let her!

Personally if I had the large boobs of my mother I WOULD use a nursing cover since without specialized nursing clothing almost the entire boob would be exposed when nursing. For some ladies thats reality. If they nurse sans cover, more power to 'em. If they nurse with a cover THATS COOL TOO.

As I stated I don;t use a nursing cover - but neither is my boob exposed. I don't go to great extents to make myself "modest" or whatever word you choose while NIP but if I look down and seethat the side of my boob is poking out or the top is exposed up to my neck - well I'll coiver it.
WHY? - Because I'm feeding my kid not stripping down. If my kid was not attached to my boob I wouldn;t be showing that much. While I'm nursing my kid I will allow for a but more exposure - but not past MY OWN COMFORT LIMIT.

And thats what it breaks down to folks - INDIVIDUALS with INDIVIDUAL COMFORT ZONES.

geesh.

and to really really stir the pot on this one:
I'm going to add that there are times and places when I think a nursing cover, a blankie, or a great nursing top are VERY appropriate. IE. places where stuff more important (shock!!) than nursing my baby is going on.
a funeral, a wedding, church/place of worship, graduation etc.

Also I have been witness to the defiant "i'll nurse however where ever" momma and it is not an attitude that gives BF or NIP a good name.
Specifically a woman who sat down cross legged on a hopscotch pad, undid her jumper,flopped out her whole ginormous boob, leaned back and let her 1 yr old have at it. She was naked from mid torso on up, and her toddler wasn't really "eating" - more liek snacking. Poppign on and off etc.
She was giving everyone the "stare down".
ugh.

I'm no prude, and I have nursed like that at home. But COME ON. It was far from necassary. That defiant look at me what ya gonna do about it attitude is the kind of lactivism I refuse to partake in.
#85 of 281 Old 08-07-2006, 12:40 PM

Quote:
I am simply sudjesting the idea that you nurse discreetly.
How dare you suggest how I nurse my child.

-Angela
#86 of 281 Old 08-07-2006, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wryknowlicious

and to really really stir the pot on this one:
I'm going to add that there are times and places when I think a nursing cover, a blankie, or a great nursing top are VERY appropriate. IE. places where stuff more important (shock!!) than nursing my baby is going on.
a funeral, a wedding, church/place of worship, graduation etc.
Ummmm . . . my baby really doesn't care what's going on when he gets hungry. All he wants to do is eat and all I do is feed him. No fumbling for something to make it "appropriate." And at all these events, shouldn't people be focused on the event and not on my child eating?

Stay-at-home mom to 2 beautiful.busy.boisterous boys b. 08.17.05 & 12.29.08
Nirvana is . . . the living happiness of a soul which is conscious of itself and conscious of having found its own abode in the heart of the Eternal. --Gandhi
#87 of 281 Old 08-07-2006, 12:43 PM

I'm torn about the coverups. I wouldn't use one & I think that they along with blankets, etc. make nursing more obvious and like others have said, how many people are now going to demand that everyone use one? But, and thats a big but, I'm all for anything that would make it easier for someone to nurse. Just what will the social ramifications be?
#88 of 281 Old 08-07-2006, 12:53 PM

I'm of the opinion that 99% of the indiscreet NIP horror stories one reads online or in the press took place nowhere but in the writer's imagination.

And even if they weren't....SO WHAT?
#89 of 281 Old 08-07-2006, 01:00 PM

To me, the point of lactivism is to get rid of the notions that there's a right way and wrong way to nurse in public. Do it how you need to do it. Do it if you want to do it. Don't do it you don't feel comfortable.
#90 of 281 Old 08-07-2006, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fek&fuzz
And calling them "hooters" makes them seem like they should be hidden. Why not call them Breast Blinders, or Nummy No-sees, Discrete Double D's...
They are also sold (exact same product, same compay - you choose the label) as Bebe Au Lait.

Tamara: hs'ing Christian mom of five here and five in Heaven. Joyfully awaiting Punkin, coming mid-Sept!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page