What do you think of this trend? - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#241 of 281 Old 08-09-2006, 08:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montessori Mommy
I felt really sad after reading this thread. People she be respected and not attacked for expressing their viewpoints, regardless of what others feel is right or wrong. People at MDC of all people, I would think could empathize with this. I don’t think any of the opinions expressed in this thread deny that breastfeed is a beautiful (not shameful) thing. People who breastfeed can do so however they choose, I also don’t think anyone has expressed to the contrary. If someone doesn’t want to “expose” themselves and would rather cover up, that’s great, if people choose not to cover, that’s great too.

I wanted to make one point that hasn’t been brought up in this thread. We live in a society (in America anyways) where, like it or not, breasts are considered a “private part.” I remember being jealous as a girl that boys could run around shirtless in the hot sun, and I could not. If we lived in some tribe in the rainforest, where it is customary for women to walk around topless, this would not even be an issue, but we don’t. Women wear clothing that covers the breasts, the vagina, and the buttocks, and men wear clothing that covers the penis and the buttocks, and in most cases, a shirt as well. It is because of this societal dress code that some women may find themselves inhibited to bf in public, and that should be respected just as much as the women who want to bf uncovered in public. No, breastfeeding is not sexual or indecent, but breasts are not something most people are used to seeing exposed in public, and while they are mammary glands and intended to nourish our young, most people consider breasts as being sexual as well, it is what it is.

I can understand both sides of this issue and I respect every woman’s choice regarding bfing. I also think this is a great place to discuss this issue, being passionate is one thing, but it doesn’t need to get mean or personal.

Kirsten - wife to Mark and co-sleeping, breastfeeding mother to , :, and
Photography, including Breastfeeding Photography, in my Homepage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#242 of 281 Old 08-09-2006, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndunn
Do they have their grade 2 education? Because any grown adult would not make such a huge decision about their childs future based on something like that.
Niiiiice comment. :

#243 of 281 Old 08-09-2006, 08:49 PM

it is the law where I live that women can go topless.. baby on breast or not.

But i should say if someone decides to not breastfeed to "spite" some stranger she is probably not making very healthy grounded choices anyways, should we be functioning for those who are making such irresponsible parenting choices. I am not refering to FF in this case.. but rather ff to "spite" someone????

I should say as well, I am not sure why people post here (over and over) than get upset that other's are posting as well.

some can ask why an issue is not dropped after they say things like "Okay, whatever! Maybe I'm a prude".. but I have to wonder as well.. why when some say *covering up is simply not for me* why the issue was not dropped than?.

It is because it is a conversation.. we are all sharing our opinions. All are welcome, but all are open to be responded to as well.

I simply do not understand why someone decides to go somewhere when they have a low opinion of the people or thier actions.. than get upset at the conversation. No one wants anyone to be bothered.. but no one has any control over it but you.
#244 of 281 Old 08-09-2006, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkfeather
it is the law where I live that women can go topless.. baby on breast or not.

But i should say if someone decides to not breastfeed to "spite" some stranger she is probably not making very healthy grounded choices anyways, should we be functioning for those who are making such irresponsible parenting choices. I am not refering to FF in this case.. but rather ff to "spite" someone????

I should say as well, I am not sure why people post here (over and over) than get upset that other's are posting as well.

some can ask why an issue is not dropped after they say things like "Okay, whatever! Maybe I'm a prude".. but I have to wonder as well.. why when some say *covering up is simply not for me* why the issue was not dropped than?.

It is because it is a conversation.. we are all sharing our opinions. All are welcome, but all are open to be responded to as well.

I simply do not understand why someone decides to go somewhere when they have a low opinion of the people or thier actions.. than get upset at the conversation. No one wants anyone to be bothered.. but no one has any control over it but you.

#245 of 281 Old 08-09-2006, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirstenMary
In a local park. But, hey, to each her own.
Like completely nude from the waist up? took the shirt and bra off of her body and set it aside? shirt was no longer on her body at all?

~jen~ )O( mama to k 07/05 o 5/08 and c 12/09
#246 of 281 Old 08-09-2006, 09:08 PM

I like the cut of your jib hawkfeather
#247 of 281 Old 08-09-2006, 09:15 PM

what is a jib?..lol

ETA;

either flip flopping.. natuical term.. or something oddly meth related?..hm..lol
I love learning new words.
#248 of 281 Old 08-09-2006, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inchijen
Like completely nude from the waist up? took the shirt and bra off of her body and set it aside? shirt was no longer on her body at all?
Yes.

Please keep in mind that although I like to be discreet, I also fully support a woman's right to BF in whatever manner pleases her and her baby. Heck, I nursed my 3 y/o at the doctor's office today.

Wearing a nursing shirt, of course.

#249 of 281 Old 08-09-2006, 09:28 PM

i have seen mommas nursing topless.. but like i seyz.. it is legal here to be topless anyways.
#250 of 281 Old 08-09-2006, 09:29 PM

Well, I have to say I've never seen / noticed anyone using one. But they bother me. First, why should I have to cover up when I NIP? I am discreet, I don't need a huge apron to tell the world I'm being modest. Which brings me to point two... it seems that using one would really just draw even more attention to the fact that you are doing something you don't want people to see. And THIRD... NIP SHOULD be a normal way of life. Using these just emphasises the idea that it is wrong / private / embarassing / insert your adjective here.
#251 of 281 Old 08-09-2006, 09:41 PM

I need to move where KirstenMary lives because I have never seen anyone breastfeed topless, LOL. Its rare I see anyone breastfeeding in public unless i am at a playgroup or something.... and even then a lot of moms bring bottles because they are worried about it. I make it a point to nurse willow whenever she asks at playgroups hoping it will do some good and help others relax.

I mean I live in vegas, you would think this would be THE place to breastfeed topless.... but alas never seen it happen in 5 years LOL.
#252 of 281 Old 08-09-2006, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkfeather
what is a jib?..lol

ETA;

either flip flopping.. natuical term.. or something oddly meth related?..hm..lol
I love learning new words.
You know?? I guess I don't really know to tell the truth - just some old timey saying.... I always took it to mean something like the cloth you're cut from?? Or I guess more precicely the way your cloth is cut?....not the cloth you use to cover your breasts with when you're NIP'ing of course ...the other cloth.:

Back on topic......(dot's indicate I'm thinkin' real hard),

A PP said that they didn't understand why there was arguement on this particular thread - that everyone should respect everyone's choices.
Just to clairify - the disagreement comes because some suggest that others should be "discreet'.
#253 of 281 Old 08-09-2006, 09:58 PM

I saw a woman breastfeeding at the pool this weekend. I got so excited at first, her little guy started fussing and I saw her taking down her bikini top to feed him... then turned around, and when I had turned back she'd hidden her baby and breast under a ginormous towel. Now you could say that made her more comfy, and maybe it did... but this woman was wearing a teensy bikini... her babies head would cover MORE of her breast, not less. It was 105 degrees out and could not have been very comfy. I felt awful that she'd feel the NEED to do that. But if it makes a woman more comfortable, that is entirely her choice... I just don't think women should feel "shamed" into it.
#254 of 281 Old 08-10-2006, 04:09 AM

I don't think women should be shamed into covering up while NIP. That said, I'm pretty discreet but probably only because my dd allows me to be The only reasons I would personally use a cover-up is if I were just starting to nurse (my mom threw a blanket over dd when she was 5 days old and we were at the doctor's - I appreciated it because I was still trying to get the hang of the latch and NIP and not feeling self-conscious, I got over that in a month or so though ) or if I had a baby who got really really distracted in public and I was tired of popping on/popping off and just wanted to nurse!

Other than those two reasons... there's no reason for me to cover-up. After nursing for 9 months (today!), I don't see my breasts as sexual anymore and if other people do, then that's their deal. They can look away. I see my breasts as only for feeding my baby unless I'm at home, dd is asleep, and I'm with dh

love and peace.

mama to two girls and due in November!
: Circumcision can never be undone :
#255 of 281 Old 08-10-2006, 03:56 PM

There are at least as many people in the "general public" who are horrified by toddler breastfeeding as there are who are horrified by an exposed breast. So should mothers breastfeeding toddlers only do so in the closet, so as to appease the masses and prevent people from getting turned off by breastfeeders in general? There is simply no way to please the public. It has even been admitted that dirty looks are given when discreet NIP occurs. What people are bothered by is breastfeeding itself.

If we act as if the breast is a gential, that will be like admitting that it is a genital, and people will continue to think of the breast as a genital. If, on the other hand, we NIP without covering the breast, then people will think, "hmm, I've been seeing women bare their breasts to feed their children as if it's the most normal, natural thing in the world. Would that be happening if the breast is a genital? Maybe it isn't a genital!" The way things are right now, people really do think that the breast is the female equivelent of the penis. I can't tell you how many times I have heard breastfeeding described as "gross." I have even literally heard the following said: "If you think about it, a woman using a breast on a child -- that would be like a man using a penis on a child."

Um, NO.

The female breasts are analogous to the male CHEST. Remarkably, hardly *anyone* thinks of it that way. When it should be SO obvious!

A woman can even walk around in a thong bikini with her entire buttocks exposed without necessarily becoming the target of moral outrage. The only parts of the female body that our culture is universally shocked by are the genitals and the nipples. Male nipples can be just as erogenous as female nipples can be, and yet men can walk around with their shirts off and nobody cares. What gives? The taboo isn't about sensuality (or every adult body would have to be entirely covered). It's about WOMEN. Breasts are something that WOMEN have, so they have been singled out for restriction.

-Alice, SAHM to dd (2001) and ds (2004) each of whom was a homebirth.jpg, who each self-weaned at 4.5 years bfolderchild.gif, who both fambedsingle2.gif'd, who were bothcd.gif, and both: novaxnocirc.gif.   Also, gd.gif, and goorganic.jpg!

#256 of 281 Old 08-10-2006, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sustainer
The taboo isn't about sensuality (or every adult body would have to be entirely covered). It's about WOMEN. Breasts are something that WOMEN have, so they have been singled out for restriction.
Bingo. And that folks, wraps up our discussion on the illogical taboo of breasts, thank you for coming and be sure to visit www.007b.com regularly!!
#257 of 281 Old 08-16-2006, 08:59 PM

Even if a woman shows her whole breast while breast feeding so what. Whats the big deal. There is no federal law aginst showing your breast or for that matter total nudity. If you want to state the indecent exposure law you need to look up what it realy says indecent exposure requires sexually oreantated. nudity in and of itself does not qualify.
#258 of 281 Old 08-16-2006, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike
Even if a woman shows her whole breast while breast feeding so what. Whats the big deal. There is no federal law aginst showing your breast or for that matter total nudity. If you want to state the indecent exposure law you need to look up what it realy says indecent exposure requires sexually oreantated. nudity in and of itself does not qualify.
actually, in some states public nursing can be illegal, and alot of states dont have breastfeeding as an exclusion in there indecent exposure laws.
#259 of 281 Old 08-17-2006, 07:32 AM

If you want to cover, cover.

If you don't want to cover, don't cover.

It's a personal choice that has nothing to do with anyone but you and your baby.

Women are not responsible for other people's opinions of them, any more than men are.

Nursing is just nursing. It's not shameful or dirty. It is food for a baby. Period.

That is all.
#260 of 281 Old 08-17-2006, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike
pak.

yes, it does. "sexually oriented" is all in the intent.

#261 of 281 Old 08-17-2006, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by romans_mum
actually, in some states public nursing can be illegal, and alot of states dont have breastfeeding as an exclusion in there indecent exposure laws.
i'd love an example of this.

#262 of 281 Old 08-17-2006, 02:13 PM

Here's a summary of breastfeeding legislation from May, 2006. There are 10 states and Washington, D.C. that don't have laws to protect women who nurse in public from being arrested for indecent exposure. It's unlikely, but as far as the "letter of the law," it's possible.
#263 of 281 Old 08-17-2006, 02:20 PM

In Massachusetts, West Virginia, North Dakota, Pennsylvania (excluding the city of Philadelphia), Tennessee, Nebraska, Wyoming, Arkansas, Idaho, Mississippi and District of Columbia (exculding federal buildings), all have no laws protecting a womans right to breastfeed in public, and also don't have a law/bill stating it is not indecent exposure.
#264 of 281 Old 08-17-2006, 02:22 PM

I really don't like the name "hooter hider" but I do have a lansinoh nursing shawl I don't use it to put over ds's head-he wouldn't stand fr that and I really do enjoy seeing my baby, but rather I cover myself to get my breast out and put myself back together for nursing in public- during nursing I move it to the side of my breast ( by my armpit) I'm an enormous LL cup and I'm hanging out there other wise. Ds covers the front and I bring my shirt down to about his face so there's nothing really to see in the front but without the nursing shawl there's still a whole lot to see on the side- so i use a nursing cover up but not to cover baby just my breast
#265 of 281 Old 08-17-2006, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by romans_mum
In Massachusetts, West Virginia, North Dakota, Pennsylvania (excluding the city of Philadelphia), Tennessee, Nebraska, Wyoming, Arkansas, Idaho, Mississippi and District of Columbia (exculding federal buildings), all have no laws protecting a womans right to breastfeed in public, and also don't have a law/bill stating it is not indecent exposure.
Very sad.

http://www.parenting.com/parenting/w...dfs/btcard.pdf

#266 of 281 Old 08-17-2006, 02:26 PM

yeah, federal buildings are your only safe places if your in a state that doesnt have a law. Thankfully I live in IL, which has very extensive strict laws.
#267 of 281 Old 08-17-2006, 02:43 PM

without protection legislation there is a chance someone could interpret NIP as indecent exposure - but it's not on the books as illegal
#268 of 281 Old 08-17-2006, 02:55 PM

I always wanted something to cobver my belly fat when I lifeted my shirt to nurse, I use the sling to wrap around my tummy- I never cared to hide my hooters- heck, the only time I have hooters is when I'm nursing!

Christine. Unschooling mom to Hollis, Zobey, Zeda, Anna, and Wednesday. We have a lot invested in this whole family thing with marriage kids and a mortgage. You don't just give up on the whole deal when it gets difficult.
#269 of 281 Old 08-17-2006, 02:56 PM

but its also not on the book that its NOT indecent exposure
#270 of 281 Old 08-17-2006, 07:41 PM

What I Said Was Nudity Didnt Count In And Of Itself And Your Statment Talks About Intent ?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page