What do you think of this trend? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 281 Old 08-06-2006, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,047
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
"Hooter Hiders" http://www.babybellausa.com/Nursing.html
I see new brands of this same type of thing popping up all over the place. I am actually against covering up when nursing, so I would never buy one. But, I am torn b.c I am glad people are nursing, but, I am pissed people feel they have to or should hide what they are doing.

charmcitymama is offline  
#2 of 281 Old 08-06-2006, 02:25 PM
 
alegna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 44,408
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
They annoy me to no end. My main problem is that when an item like this is out, it's a great excuse for all the "offended" public to say- SEE, if you're going to do THAT in public you need one of THESE. That's how NICE people do it.

arg.

hate them. Nothing against women who use them. But I hate the item.

-Angela
alegna is offline  
#3 of 281 Old 08-06-2006, 02:31 PM
 
Clarinet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,564
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't care. I mean, women can use them if they want to make absolutely sure no part of their breast is ever showing but to me, the cover-ups scream MY BOOBIES ARE NAKED UNDER HERE! Whereas I've been surprised occasionally to realize that a woman was nursing because I couldn't tell. She wasn't using a blanket or hiding out.
Clarinet is offline  
#4 of 281 Old 08-06-2006, 02:37 PM
 
Greenie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 2,365
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've seen a lot of negative comments and attitudes about using a cover when you NIP. I have DD's. I know that there are Moms here with much bigger breasts, so I can't even immagine what that's like.. My point is, with large breasts, it can be very challenging.

There are times when I don't need a cover. But, when my DS is fussy, or distracted, NIP can be very hard. I'm not posing in Playboy and I don't want anyone seeing my breasts. It's not that I feel ashamed of my body, or that I feel like I'm being nice to other people by covering up. I just feel more comfortable when everyone isn't seeing inches of my breast.

I don't think that NIP is indecent at all.. But when the conventions of society is that BFing is a private activity, I don't think that using a little disgression is a bad thing.

I've heard stories of Mamas nursing very openly, not attempting to be disgreet in the least, and flashing tons of skin. While it's your right to feed your baby where you need to, at the same time I don't think that you should make a public display out of it.

The more you shove it down everyone's throat, the more resistant to it they become. If you share it in a gentle manner, people are much more open minded about it, and you gain more thorough acceptance from those who are so strongly opposed.

That's just my opinion. I see BFing like any other strong belief in my life. Vegetarianism, Religion, Circ, AP, CIO, Education, Drug Law Reform, etc. If you make it a "I'm right, you're wrong, and that's that" battle, you'll turn people off. If you make it a "Well, this is what I do because it works for me, and this is the medical evidence that backs it up, and look at this beautiful and healthy little baby who is 7 months old and hasn't even had so much as the sniffles" conversation, then there will be people who take something good from it, and sway their opinion just a little more to the left.

Love and Peace!
Greenie is offline  
#5 of 281 Old 08-06-2006, 02:43 PM
 
wonderwahine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: wi fi didnt do it!
Posts: 17,724
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't like the fact that they are marketed etc.....but some women simply do feel more confident with one. I would never use one because they do scream IM NURSING!

Theres a lady in my LLL who uses one even at LLL meetings.......some women are just modest and need that covering. I do belive it does give them anti bf public a weapon against us, they can say "well just use these things then!"
wonderwahine is offline  
#6 of 281 Old 08-06-2006, 02:45 PM
 
elanorh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 2,266
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think, if they help a mom nurse longer than she would have otherwise by making her feel comfortable enough to NIP - then that's great.

I think that whether the mom intends them to come across this way or not, though, the general public's reaction to them is "Oooooh, she's doing something very personal and has to keep it covered up." And yes, I think it can also be read as "This is the only way to NIP," or as "Women who don't use these are immodest," etc. To me, like blankets, they're rather like a huge neon sign saying, "HEY! LOOK!! I'm breastfeeding!!" and garner more attention than a simple nursing shirt or even just a quick lift'n'latch, KWIM? But I do think that for many of the mothers using Hooter Hider type bibs, they're not thinking of it that way - they are just so self-conscious about showing their breasts and offending others, that this is the only way they feel like they can NIP.

So for an individual mom, they can be great - but as a whole, I think they can undermine things a bit with some peoples' reactions being either "Oh, that's the only way to NIP? Guess I won't bf." or "See, everyone can be that "discreet."

I think the biggest issue with them is the fact that *most* babies are not going to stay quietly underneath the "Hooter Hider" (or a blanket) after about 3-4 months - they are going to start twitching around trying to lift or kick it off. And either the mom is going to need to be ready to move on to a less "obvious" discreet nursing method -- or she's going to be struggling to figure out how to function while avoiding NIP situations entirely, and may decide to wean instead. I'd like to hope that by the time this point comes, mom is more confident and just ditches the bib and moves on to a different NIP strategy. So, when I hear a mom say she's using these and that they're the way to go, my typical response is to let her know that as she and her baby grow in their nursing relationship, she should keep her mind open to moving to other options, following her baby's lead - and that I felt less conspicuous while wearing nursing tops than while using a blanket. (I know one mom who says that conspicuous isn't what matters to her- she's glad people know she's bfing, she just wants to "keep covered.")

I'd like to think that how women NIP doesn't matter as long as it's happening, but I do worry that there is a subtext to the nursing bibs which is damaging to the whole, "Breastfeeding is just feeding an infant as intended, and doesn't need to be hidden" message which we're trying to get out to moms and the general public too. I try to be open-minded about it but it worries me.

Not all who wander are lost.
elanorh is offline  
#7 of 281 Old 08-06-2006, 02:46 PM
 
wonderwahine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: wi fi didnt do it!
Posts: 17,724
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
I've heard stories of Mamas nursing very openly, not attempting to be disgreet in the least, and flashing tons of skin. While it's your right to feed your baby where you need to, at the same time I don't think that you should make a public display out of it.
I make no effort to cover up, And because i dont use nursing clothes and have big breasts (and a distractable 10mth old) alot of skin is flashed......I really don't care if someone sees it and doesnt like it. I tryed a blanket etc before, my newborn son ripped it off him, and it was to hard to do.....and it just screams "im nursing!!!". So I never cover up now, thats how me and my son are comfortable, and not to be mean.....but screw what anyone else thinks.
wonderwahine is offline  
#8 of 281 Old 08-06-2006, 02:48 PM
 
fek&fuzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: down in the hunker
Posts: 9,059
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
And calling them "hooters" makes them seem like they should be hidden. Why not call them Breast Blinders, or Nummy No-sees, Discrete Double D's...
fek&fuzz is offline  
#9 of 281 Old 08-06-2006, 02:50 PM
 
Sailmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: The Southern Part of Heaven
Posts: 1,000
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think if there is a product out there that will make more women feel comfortable breast feeding in whatever circumstance they tend to find themselves, is a good thing. Personally, I don't want one or feel the need for one. But if that is what it takes to get mama's on board with breastfeeding, or extending breastfeeding longer, then more power to them. I would certainly rather see that than just another bottle of formula.
Sailmom is offline  
#10 of 281 Old 08-06-2006, 02:51 PM
 
Ruthla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 47,607
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I think anything that gets more moms nursing is a good thing.

I suspect that many of these items are purchased as baby shower gifts, rather than purchased by new moms who plan on actually using them themselves- "OK, my DIL doesn't want me to buy bottles for the new baby so I guess I'll buy her a BF coverup instead." It's something to buy for Bf mamas.

I think "hooter hiders" and other similar items are becoming popular because many more women are BF now, including many who are unfamiliar with BF and are truly more comfortable bottle-feeding. This is a transitional item for those women- women who are 100% comfortable with BF in any situation don't need any special props or tools.

Even if a mama uses this thing once or twice, before she becomes more comfortable NIP, it's worth it because it kept her nursing through that awkward phase. Even if a mama uses this thing once or twice, then switches to artificial baby milk, then the item was worth it- without it the baby might not have gotten any breastmilk at all!

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
Ruthla is offline  
#11 of 281 Old 08-06-2006, 02:52 PM
 
Greenie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 2,365
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by romans_mum
I make no effort to cover up, And because i dont use nursing clothes and have big breasts (and a distractable 10mth old) alot of skin is flashed......I really don't care if someone sees it and doesnt like it. I tryed a blanket etc before, my newborn son ripped it off him, and it was to hard to do.....and it just screams "im nursing!!!". So I never cover up now, thats how me and my son are comfortable, and not to be mean.....but screw what anyone else thinks.
OMG!! My Hubby is on the couch about 4 nights out of 5, too!
Greenie is offline  
#12 of 281 Old 08-06-2006, 02:52 PM
 
alegna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 44,408
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenie
I've heard stories of Mamas nursing very openly, not attempting to be disgreet in the least, and flashing tons of skin. While it's your right to feed your baby where you need to, at the same time I don't think that you should make a public display out of it.
I am HIGHLY offended by this statement on MDC. Hello? You are going to tell me how I "should" feed my baby?

THIS is why I hate the capes.

I "should" feed my baby however, whenever, wherever I and said baby choose.

-Angela
alegna is offline  
#13 of 281 Old 08-06-2006, 02:52 PM
 
Clarinet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,564
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think calling them Hooter Hiders implies sexuality (Hooters restaurant "costumes") and something improperly displayed. Very tacky name.
Clarinet is offline  
#14 of 281 Old 08-06-2006, 03:01 PM
 
velcromom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: N. Ca Sierra Nevada
Posts: 5,022
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
I've heard stories of Mamas nursing very openly, not attempting to be disgreet in the least, and flashing tons of skin. While it's your right to feed your baby where you need to, at the same time I don't think that you should make a public display out of it.

I think the mom who deliberately uncovers more than would incidentally be revealed by her normal method of nursing, just to attract attention, is pretty much a myth. I do understand that some moms are able to be more covered than others, and that actually changes from month to month sometimes with the same mom/baby pair due to baby's developmental changes and preferences as well as mom's build. We've all got an auto-flash mechanism going with a baby who loves to "Nurse Big!" as my ds used to call it. I also know that in the baby fog and sleep deprivation and relaxing hormonal state, having a boob to the wind unintentionally is probably something that happens to most of us at least once. And a lot of us get to the point where we are relaxed about it and don't worry if it does happen. I think that's where the myth comes from.

I also think it's ironic that the idea of a woman attracting attention to her breasts & supposedly "making a public display" of them is unacceptable just because she's nursing. If she were utilizing the latest Wonder Bra under a tank top, no one would call it a public display or even blink an eye.

I keep saying, NIP however you need to. If you show more skin than me when NIP I don't care and I don't think it's a reason to throw a tent over the two of you - UNLESS - and it's a big unless - you have such strong feelings about it personally that you will refuse to NIP without it.

If the tent is going to make the difference between NIP and no NIP, then up it goes.

But I personally would rather see a mom with a baby latched on, skin or no skin, than a coverup that announces, "Nursing baby here! Don't look, this needs to be covered up!!"

It's just sort of ironic that the tent makes people look so they can be warned to... not look.
velcromom is offline  
#15 of 281 Old 08-06-2006, 03:01 PM
 
sapphire_chan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 27,769
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think it's about d*mned time that people treat babies like people including accepting how they need to eat.
sapphire_chan is offline  
#16 of 281 Old 08-06-2006, 03:02 PM
 
Junebug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: The Real O.C.
Posts: 717
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think they're ridiculous but like a pp said, if it helps a mama make the decision to bf- I can't complain. I think it does make it seem that the user is ashamed & hiding, that's kinda sad.
And I cannot imagine my dd EVER going for a big ol' drape being thrown over her head!
I'm not really concerned about how other mamas choose to do things~ I'm just a "whip it out" kinda girl. When my child is hungry or upset, the last thing on my mind is some stranger's hangups re: the human body & it's intended function. It would be pretty damn hard to shame me about something I love & believe in so strongly. Ya know?

Now the name of this contraption- that really bugs me!
Junebug is offline  
#17 of 281 Old 08-06-2006, 03:02 PM
 
Tellera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Mr. Nibbles
Posts: 848
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I bought one of these. I use it. I don't know, I just don't want people to see my boobs. But that's just me. I definitely felt I could NIP with this and feel comfortable.

Maybe I *should* feel comfortable without any cover up, but I don't and this cover up was easier than trying to keep a receiving blanket in place, etc.

An introvert and ain't ashamed of it!  love.gif
Tellera is offline  
#18 of 281 Old 08-06-2006, 03:05 PM
 
kalisis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: somewhere between here and there
Posts: 4,779
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a family member who uses something very similar to this. I keep wanting to explain to her that it doesn't draw less attention to the fact that she's nursing - it just draws more b/c people sit there trying to figure out why she has this big thing thrown over her and the baby.

But, whatever. It helps her NIP and it's obviously helping their nursin relationship, so who am I to judge?

*~* A * Mama to C and A * *~* I blog - PM me for the URL
kalisis is offline  
#19 of 281 Old 08-06-2006, 03:06 PM
 
Greenie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 2,365
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna
I am HIGHLY offended by this statement on MDC. Hello? You are going to tell me how I "should" feed my baby?

THIS is why I hate the capes.

I "should" feed my baby however, whenever, wherever I and said baby choose.

-Angela
Look. I'm not trying to argue with you. I have the issues with seeing women NIP, but it's just women who don't give a damn.. Like, shirt pulled up, 3/4 of their breast exposed, looking about, and daring someone to say something. I'm not an exhibitionist about my BFing.. And if that makes me less of a lactivist, or less crunchy, so be it. I feel uncomfortable with looking at a woman in a low cut shirt, I don't like looking at women wearing insaine bikinis, or pants cut so low that you can see their cracks, or men in speedos for that matter. I'm not saying that NIP is like these things, but that's my own insecurity.

I don't want anyone looking at my breasts when I'm feeding my baby. Yes, he's 7 months old. He tugs at the blanket, and wiggles, and squirms.. But if I don't use a cover, he'll get distracted when someone walks by and pop off, leaving me completely exposed. That's just me. I'm just saying that it's not like a cape of evil! I'd rather use a sarong, myself, but a woman doesn't "set back the movement" because she chooses not to flash everyone.

Again, I'm not trying to argue. I have noticed that there is an attitude of "if you cover, you're not doing anyone a favor". I simply don't agree.
Greenie is offline  
#20 of 281 Old 08-06-2006, 03:06 PM
 
Ruthla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 47,607
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
That's exactly what they're for Tellera- for moms who feel more comfortable being covered up while NIP. They're not to make onlookers more comfortable!

Your choice to use a "nursing bib" when NIP is just as valid as another woman's choice to NIP in special nursing clothes, as discreet as possible, and just as valid as another woman's choice to NIP no matter what she's wearing that day and how much skin gets exposed in the process.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
Ruthla is offline  
#21 of 281 Old 08-06-2006, 03:09 PM
 
mothragirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: neverland
Posts: 3,332
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i'm a fan of anything that encourages mamas to BF. i'm not a discreet nurser at all, but i know a lot of women are. there was a woman at LLL the other night who just doesn't leave her house anymore because she doesn't like to NIP (her husband doesn't like her to). if a product like that will make her nurse longer then i am all for it.
mothragirl is offline  
#22 of 281 Old 08-06-2006, 03:11 PM
 
Greenie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 2,365
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by velcromom
I think the mom who deliberately uncovers more than would incidentally be revealed by her normal method of nursing, just to attract attention, is pretty much a myth. I do understand that some moms are able to be more covered than others, and that actually changes from month to month sometimes with the same mom/baby pair due to baby's developmental changes and preferences as well as mom's build. We've all got an auto-flash mechanism going with a baby who loves to "Nurse Big!" as my ds used to call it. I also know that in the baby fog and sleep deprivation and relaxing hormonal state, having a boob to the wind unintentionally is probably something that happens to most of us at least once. And a lot of us get to the point where we are relaxed about it and don't worry if it does happen. I think that's where the myth comes from.

I also think it's ironic that the idea of a woman attracting attention to her breasts & supposedly "making a public display" of them is unacceptable just because she's nursing. If she were utilizing the latest Wonder Bra under a tank top, no one would call it a public display or even blink an eye.

I keep saying, NIP however you need to. If you show more skin than me when NIP I don't care and I don't think it's a reason to throw a tent over the two of you - UNLESS - and it's a big unless - you have such strong feelings about it personally that you will refuse to NIP without it.

If the tent is going to make the difference between NIP and no NIP, then up it goes.

But I personally would rather see a mom with a baby latched on, skin or no skin, than a coverup that announces, "Nursing baby here! Don't look, this needs to be covered up!!"

It's just sort of ironic that the tent makes people look so they can be warned to... not look.
ITA Sister!!!
Greenie is offline  
#23 of 281 Old 08-06-2006, 03:12 PM
 
Greenie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 2,365
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla
That's exactly what they're for Tellera- for moms who feel more comfortable being covered up while NIP. They're not to make onlookers more comfortable!

Your choice to use a "nursing bib" when NIP is just as valid as another woman's choice to NIP in special nursing clothes, as discreet as possible, and just as valid as another woman's choice to NIP no matter what she's wearing that day and how much skin gets exposed in the process.


Nursing Bib...............
Greenie is offline  
#24 of 281 Old 08-06-2006, 04:00 PM
 
alegna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 44,408
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenie
Look. I'm not trying to argue with you. I have the issues with seeing women NIP, but it's just women who don't give a damn.. Like, shirt pulled up, 3/4 of their breast exposed, looking about, and daring someone to say something.
I don't care how you nurse your baby. Why do you care how I nurse mine? I DON'T give a damn much of the time. So what?

-Angela
alegna is offline  
#25 of 281 Old 08-06-2006, 04:04 PM
 
Greenie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 2,365
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna
I don't care how you nurse your baby. Why do you care how I nurse mine? I DON'T give a damn much of the time. So what?

-Angela
Hey, that's cool.. You have the freedom to feel that way and express it. Great. Wonderful. Awesome.
Greenie is offline  
#26 of 281 Old 08-06-2006, 04:07 PM
 
Mokhwar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Don't Panic
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think they're great. :

It can make all the difference for a mother who desires it. It appears much more pleasant than a blanket, and therefore I'm glad (especially in hot weather) that it is available for them to use.

I'm not modest enough for that though.
Mokhwar is offline  
#27 of 281 Old 08-06-2006, 04:20 PM
 
Greenie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 2,365
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokhwar
I think they're great. :

It can make all the difference for a mother who desires it. It appears much more pleasant than a blanket, and therefore I'm glad (especially in hot weather) that it is available for them to use.

I'm not modest enough for that though.
: :

Yeah, I should have : ................... 'Cause I got
Greenie is offline  
#28 of 281 Old 08-06-2006, 04:22 PM
 
hellyaellen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: georgia
Posts: 3,410
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
its not something i would ever use. i do think a lot are probably given as shower gifts and such. it is great for some mamas i'm sure, too b/c it looks more secure than a blanket or something as well as lighter weight. and like most folks have already said if it convinces a shy mama to nip well then .

i actually can see 1 instance in which i might use it. if my dad and his wife who are sort of weird about nip were to get me one. i would try it out of politeness. if they were on their best behavior as far how they went about giving it and asking me to use it.

i just got some nursing clothes yesterday (off of kath on tp - thanks, love 'em) its my first experience w/ clothes just for nursing and ds is almost 10 month. it was kind of nice for church where i already feel on display b/c we're still sort of new, always late, sometimes fussy, etc....and it was cool not to have my pp belly hanging out

but usually i just lift and latch too
hellyaellen is offline  
#29 of 281 Old 08-06-2006, 04:23 PM
 
LoveMyLil'B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 619
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't think they're so bad. I don't use one when I nurse DD b/c I'm comfortable with NIP, and I think they actually attract more attention.

With that being said, I do have one. My MIL made it for me b/c I asked for one. I am a teacher, and occasionally I am in situtations where I don't have many other options on places to pump. Last spring I used it in the car at the farm, and I used it recently when I was moving things into my new classroom. I needed to pump, but my friends were helping me bring my school stuff. So there I was, pumping under my little apron, telling my friends where to put everything. I think seeing a woman pumping, with her nipples stretching hither and yon can scare just about anyone. I know I was pretty freaked out the first time I used the pump!
LoveMyLil'B is offline  
#30 of 281 Old 08-06-2006, 04:28 PM
 
Greenie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 2,365
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
See, sometimes I don't use a cover. If Elias is sleepy and not fussing.. Or if we're in a booth and have a bit of privacy. It also depends on what I'm wearing, who I'm with, and where we are.

The day of my wedding, we went to breakfast, and I used a cover simply because it makes my dad uncomfortable. I used a cover in his home when I went to visit.. So I don't see why I should make him feel uncomfortable. Not that his comfort is more important than Elias's need for food--because it's not that.

I think that the NIP debate is kind of childish. The baby will eat no matter what. It's not like we're going to starve the child if I don't have a cover. It makes me feel more comfortable, and my DH too. He doesn't want the world seeing my Hooters any more than I do.
Greenie is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off