Ok, I'm lmao over here....it's kind of sad too. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 09-02-2006, 02:12 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I'm bored and lurking on a mainstream board I used to post on and I saw these two things in ONE post. "I think ff is just as good" and then "I know that breast is best". She said she never considered ff'ing because she and her brothers were ff'd and perfectly healthy and the only way she'd consider bf'ing is if her child was unhealthy or born early because she knows breast is best. :

WTH?

So which is it? Either you know breast is best or you don't.

Does anybody else notice that people have this attitude? Even magazine articles say this crap. They'll go on and on about the benefits of bf'ing, but then they'll say, "but don't beat yourself up if you choose not to or can't because formula is just as good."

Why is it that people cannot just ACCEPT IT instead of lying to themselves?
#2 of 11 Old 09-02-2006, 03:02 AM

oh man... i just got into this on another board... i was comparing the social impact of smoking durring pregnancy becoming taboo and that if society treated formula feeding the same way, more would attepmt and more would succeed and there would be a larger base of support for the next gen... it came out wrong the first time though (as it often does for me) and i had to rephrase, so im hoping they get the msg this time and dont jump on me!
#3 of 11 Old 09-02-2006, 04:36 AM

I always just kind of shake my head. Not at the people necessarily, but at the fact that we are taught bot that "breast is best" and "formula is just as good" and these two contradicting elements are accepted by the same people. "Breast is best" is based on undeniable scientific evidence, yet "formula feeding is just as good" is out there simply to ease the guilt. It's like saying "salad is best, but doritos and a multivitamin is just as good." :

I'm a modifiedartist.gif DH is a reading.gif we have 2 angel.gifs, and DS is a rainbow1284.gif baby.gif
#4 of 11 Old 09-02-2006, 10:15 AM

I sometimes hang out on a mainstream board and whenever a mother is talking about weaning her dc because of an issue it is usually one that goes away like biting, or nursing a lot bc of teething etc. If someone dares to tell the poster that the problem is temporary 20 people jump down their throat for trying to "pressure" the person to continue. It is crazy. I don't go there much.
#5 of 11 Old 09-03-2006, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontierpsych
I always just kind of shake my head. Not at the people necessarily, but at the fact that we are taught bot that "breast is best" and "formula is just as good" and these two contradicting elements are accepted by the same people. "Breast is best" is based on undeniable scientific evidence, yet "formula feeding is just as good" is out there simply to ease the guilt. It's like saying "salad is best, but doritos and a multivitamin is just as good." :
:
#6 of 11 Old 09-03-2006, 12:35 AM

sigh: ...
#7 of 11 Old 09-03-2006, 10:27 AM

it is called cogantive dissonance. it is how some folks will believe that hitting their child teaches their child to not hit.

Frankly, we all do it - most of our decisions do not stem from intellectual or reasoned approaches, but rather from emotions. My dh likes to say how 99% of humans make a decision first and then justify it after the fact.

In addition, breast is best plays into the "breastfeeding is a bonus" approach, where breastfeeding isn't seen as default or necessary, just an added bonus some women get to give their kids.

Personally, I think in these cases, it is best to NOT attack women for their decisions (since their reasons are probably created after the fact) but rather focus on how these women are being LIED to - by formula manufacturers, by doctors, OBs, etc.

It is tricky, because if we bash formula, there will be negative responses. But I do think letting women know the facts about formula feeding increases risks of x, y, and z (and not about how bf reduces risks) might make some women wake up to the fact that formula is NOT normal.

Tricky one, though, and easy to get dismissed as a lactivist loon.

Siobhan

You know the attributes for a great adult? Initiative, creativity, intellectual curiosity? They make for a helluva kid...
#8 of 11 Old 09-03-2006, 10:43 AM

It would be very hard for me to resist asking for clarification on the phrase "just as good".

I mean, sure ff kids survive infancy and childhood and are able to reproduce as adults (a classic definition of a "good enough" evolutionary strategy). This is why ffing is viable at all.

You know the attributes for a great adult? Initiative, creativity, intellectual curiosity? They make for a helluva kid...
#9 of 11 Old 09-03-2006, 01:15 PM

THere is a woman in my playgroup that has this attitude. She has 4 kids, claims to have tried to nurse the first 2, but it didn't work out, and decided that ff was "just as good" anyway, so she does that now. Of course, her 2 oldest have asthma so bad they're in the hospital a several times a year w/ attacks, but I'm trying really hard not to "harass" her. Someone else in the group already did that, and it resulted in a HUGE fight, the group almost breaking up, and bfing discussion pretty much being off limits now. :

Homeschooling mom of 2 rambunctious, loving, spectacular boys, wife to an incredible man who has been my best friend on this journey <3

#10 of 11 Old 09-03-2006, 04:36 PM

ooh, that's another one that bothers me "My kids are perfectly healthy" when they're NOT! Their asthma could be directly related to being ff, but don't you DARE insinuate it, or you're just being judgemental. :

I'm a modifiedartist.gif DH is a reading.gif we have 2 angel.gifs, and DS is a rainbow1284.gif baby.gif
#11 of 11 Old 09-03-2006, 06:27 PM

Exactly! How do you convince someone who was formula-fed, and who has formula-fed all 4 of her kids, that breast is better? You can't say, "well, yk, if you had bfed, you wouldn't have to take her to the hospital every week during allergy season..." Someone else in the group already tried, and therefore the blowout. Some ideas are just too entrenched in some people. And they comfort themselves with all those articles that claim that it's ok if you choose not to bf- no harm done. Any mention of the benefits of bfing, even for my own kids, seems to get a reaction as if I had said "breast feed or else!" :

Homeschooling mom of 2 rambunctious, loving, spectacular boys, wife to an incredible man who has been my best friend on this journey <3

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page